Thread: Baseball HOF is a disgrace

Load Metric

Baseball HOF is a disgrace

They just admitted Jim Kaat, a spare pitcher to the HOF. He pitched in the high mound dead ball era. Look as his stats, they suck. His ERA would be close to 5 now.

Career Regular 283W 237L 3.45ERA

Seems like MLB is trying to admit anyone not part of the steroid era, including this spare part. The MLB HOF is a joke now. Jim Kaat, LOL.

Comments

splitthis: All sports are a woke disaster

Load Metric
    Gotta agree with this. Although Kaat was a colorful guy and did a good bit of announcing after his BB career was over, don't think he was quite HOF material. Cardinals got him at the end of his career. One of those crafty lefthanders that aren't around too much anymore. He would either shut the other team down for an inning ort two or get completely pounded. Very likeable guy though. Between that & announcing may have gotten over the bar for HOF.

Ted Simmons making the HOF is along the same lines. Good switch hitter with power from both sides & decent average as well. In his first few seasons with the Cards he was one of my favorite players till the trade to Milwaukee. But he was a weakness behind the plate. Don't think he deserved to make HOF as well.

Don't know why Keith Hernandez is not in HOF. Excellent hitter & a fantastic fielding first baseman. Plus he played a few seasons in NY & even had a small part on Seinfeld. What more do you need.
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Load Metric
    The HOF is becoming a bit of a joke. They could regain a little legitimacy by electing Berry Bonds this year. Even if you erased the Berroid years, he still easily has the numbers to get in. As a lifelong Dodger fan, I hate him, but he one of the best players I’ve ever seen, the others being Schmidt, Rose, Henderson, Griffey and Trout.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    The HOF is becoming a bit of a joke. They could regain a little legitimacy by electing Berry Bonds this year. Even if you erased the Berroid years, he still easily has the numbers to get in. As a lifelong Dodger fan, I hate him, but he one of the best players I’ve ever seen, the others being Schmidt, Rose, Henderson, Griffey and Trout.
    Bonds had stellar stats way before he juiced, over 500 homeruns he should be in. Roger Clemens same thing. If anyone wants to have a laugh, look at Roger Clemens stats before he went to the Blue Jays then after. He was effectively done, then went on like an 8 year heater. Just look at those stats before and after.

Reggie Jackson said it best, if he did steroids in his career he would have hit 1,000 homeruns, who could deny that fact?

Load Metric
    I actually did a bunch of roids back in my mid 20's and those things work 100%. I'm 6' was around 215 or so when I started. Could bench press 275 once. 3 months later I'm pushing 235 and two plates felt like balloons. My benching went 135 for 8, 225 for 5, 315 3 sets 6, 275 for 15 then back to 225 for around 20. Fresh I could bang out 225 for probably 30 reps which was basically better than nearly anyone in the NFL. My goal was 405 but never got it. Those were the days. I would shoulder press 225 3 sets 12 like it was nothing now I don't think I could do 100 lbs once.

Cliffs: Roids work.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    Bonds had stellar stats way before he juiced, over 500 homeruns he should be in. Roger Clemens same thing. If anyone wants to have a laugh, look at Roger Clemens stats before he went to the Blue Jays then after. He was effectively done, then went on like an 8 year heater. Just look at those stats before and after.

Reggie Jackson said it best, if he did steroids in his career he would have hit 1,000 homeruns, who could deny that fact?
    Yeah the Bonds and Clemens thing were just super obvious. These were two legit great players in their heyday, but their absurd numbers in their 40s stuck out like a sore thumb.

I think those two were a lot of the catalyst to the public becoming sick of the roids situation in the mid-2000s.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Still not as bad as the rock n roll HOF….they willl let anyone in that thing.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    I actually did a bunch of roids back in my mid 20's and those things work 100%. I'm 6' was around 215 or so when I started. Could bench press 275 once. 3 months later I'm pushing 235 and two plates felt like balloons. My benching went 135 for 8, 225 for 5, 315 3 sets 6, 275 for 15 then back to 225 for around 20. Fresh I could bang out 225 for probably 30 reps which was basically better than nearly anyone in the NFL. My goal was 405 but never got it. Those were the days. I would shoulder press 225 3 sets 12 like it was nothing now I don't think I could do 100 lbs once.

No one would have guessesd

Brain Imaging Study Suggests Long-Term Steroid Use Can Lead to Significant Brain Structural and Functional Abnormalities

One of the key findings with the structural imaging data, said Kaufman, centered on the amygdala, the part of the brain related to emotion regulation, aggression, anxiety, and possibly even depression, which was enlarged in those who were chronic steroid users as compared to the non-users.

“The amygdala in the steroid users wasn’t just a little bit larger than the control group, it was more than 20% larger,” said Kaufman. “That is a really marked difference, and it is particularly interesting because previous studies have shown that amygdala enlargement has been associated with aggression among other types of substance abuse populations.”

The study uncovered another abnormality among steroid users: a decrease in the brain levels of a sugar known as scyllo-inositol, which plays a key role in preventing neurotoxic proteins from clumping, particularly beta-amyloid protein which is known to play a role in the development of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.

“Clumping of beta-amyloid protein basically gums up the pipes in cells and leads to early cell death. The levels of this protective scyllo-inositol were significantly lower in steroid users,” said Kaufman. “If scyllo-inositol depletion is a widespread phenomenon among steroid users,” he said, “we could be seeing more cases of dementia or Alzheimer’s in these men as they age.”

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post

No one would have guessesd

Brain Imaging Study Suggests Long-Term Steroid Use Can Lead to Significant Brain Structural and Functional Abnormalities

One of the key findings with the structural imaging data, said Kaufman, centered on the amygdala, the part of the brain related to emotion regulation, aggression, anxiety, and possibly even depression, which was enlarged in those who were chronic steroid users as compared to the non-users.

“The amygdala in the steroid users wasn’t just a little bit larger than the control group, it was more than 20% larger,” said Kaufman. “That is a really marked difference, and it is particularly interesting because previous studies have shown that amygdala enlargement has been associated with aggression among other types of substance abuse populations.”

The study uncovered another abnormality among steroid users: a decrease in the brain levels of a sugar known as scyllo-inositol, which plays a key role in preventing neurotoxic proteins from clumping, particularly beta-amyloid protein which is known to play a role in the development of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.

“Clumping of beta-amyloid protein basically gums up the pipes in cells and leads to early cell death. The levels of this protective scyllo-inositol were significantly lower in steroid users,” said Kaufman. “If scyllo-inositol depletion is a widespread phenomenon among steroid users,” he said, “we could be seeing more cases of dementia or Alzheimer’s in these men as they age.”
    FYI Les:

Long-Term Effects of Alcohol on the Brain

"If heavy drinking continues over a long period of time, it causes chronic changes in neurotransmitter activity and even structural abnormalities. Imaging studies done on patients with alcoholism show atrophy in the brain regions responsible for short-term and long-term memory, balance and emotions," says Tsoy-Podosenin.

https://www.webmd.com/connect-to-car...cohol-on-brain

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well, Ortiz is in. And that's kinda bullshit. They need to go one way or the other regarding the roid users. Either forgive it, adjust their numbers in your head, and vote accordingly, or don't let them in at all. Here it seems they let in a roider who was well liked, yet they're shutting out the roiders who were jerks.

https://twitter.com/jtylerconway/status/1485984442590060556

Aside from Ortiz's positive PED test in 2003, it's clear he kept using. Unless you believe his final years were a result of his immense talent.

2011 (age 35): .309/29 HR
    2012 (age 36): .318/23 HR (in only 324 AB!)
    2013 (age 37): .309/30 HR
    2014 (age 38): .261/35 HR
    2015 (age 39): .273/37 HR
    2016 (age 40): .315/38 HR

I mean come on.

.315 and 38 HR in a season where he was almost 41 at the conclusion.

Right.

And I'm sure those 47 HR in 2005 and 54 HR in 2006 were totally natural, just two years after he tested positive for roids.

At least suspected roid guys like Mike Piazza had a typical non-roid career trajectory -- good start, peak mid-late 20s, slight decline after 30, fairly big decline after 35.

Ortiz was mashing all the way 'til the end, somehow unaffected by the passage of time (yet he retired anyway!)

Anyone who doesn't think Ortiz was using roids for almost his whole career is kidding themselves.

Gold
    Load Metric
    If you're a Sox fan there was nothing better in sports, before or since. than the '04 Red Sox. That was as magical a sports season as there ever was. Then in the winter of '05 Pedro goes to the Mets and years later we learn Ortiz and Manny Ramirez were using. It very much tainted that season but it was still great. I'm biased but think the voters got it right. Let's not forget also how Big Papi spoke out about the Boston Marathon bombing at Fenway in a very moving speech. Something about "this is my fuckin' city." Voters got it right. Fuck Clemens and Wade Boggs. Yankees suck!

Load Metric
    LOL boomers caring if your sports heroes get entry into some joke museum.

Will never understand why the opinions of faggot writers are given so much importance. How many of them are employed, got promotions etc. because people liked the boring, antiquated game a lot more when the roids were flowing and home runs were flying?

Big fucking circle jerk over a dying game.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    LOL boomers caring if your sports heroes get entry into some joke museum.
    Cooperstown has many baseball fields. Cooperstown holds a Little League tournament every summer. My kid went for years.

I always made sure he got a ride with another family cause I just couldn’t be bothered. I have never been despite following, watching and betting baseball every day. The Hall of Fame holds zero.zero interest.

Maybe it was once important but for decades it has served as a way to engage the public and media during the off season with nonsense debate and constructed storylines.

Load Metric
    Bonds, Clemens and Wade Boggs were dicks. Ortiz was a clutch lovable rogue. Ortiz charmed the public and and the writers.

Oh, I was just in the Dominican.
    “Where you from?”, a native will ask in broken English.
    “United States, Boston”, I reply
    “Oh, David Ortiz”

Ortiz is a god in the DR. Ortiz gets shot in a Dominican night club and the police claim it was mistaken identity. LoL. Not another word was ever said or written. gg
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 01-26-2022 at 12:46 PM.

Load Metric
    Some day Kershaw will get in the HOF despite failing against the best competition in a large sample size while playing with the best team mates in the sport.

I will just shake my head

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Some day Kershaw will get in the HOF despite failing against the best competition in a large sample size while playing with the best team mates in the sport.

I will just shake my head
    It didn’t help hin that the Astros fucking cheated against him in the playoffs. Amirite?
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

Comments

The Boz: Amen!

PROUDBOY MAGA 2024: Pistol Pete one of a kind.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Bonds, Clemens and Wade Boggs were dicks. Ortiz was a clutch lovable rogue. Ortiz charmed the public and and the writers.

Oh, I was just in the Dominican.
    “Where you from?”, a native will ask in broken English.
    “United States, Boston”, I reply
    “Oh, David Ortiz”

Ortiz is a god in the DR. Ortiz gets shot in a Dominican night club and the police claim it was mistaken identity. LoL. Not another word was ever said or written. gg
    LOL I remember him being shot but that's it, now I know why.

Quick look suggests heavy ties to a cartel boss that recently got popped. Fucking his wife or involved with money laundering, lol.

Also had a restraining order taken out against him by mother of first child, which I never heard about.

LOL Hall of Fame.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Thread Information