Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio won't happen this week... or perhaps for the rest of 2021 (update: Radio BACK, but I had terrible ER visit riddled with incompetence)

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    BCR did this riff recently about how the struggle to breathe is not something you can medicate away or simply tolerate. He likened it to be being under water. This obv stuck with me.

My kid had asthma when he was small. The struggle to breath and the ambulances and EMT’s when we first experienced this. Scary shit. Central air conditioning, wall to wall carpets and modern chemicals? Who knows why every kid has asthma these days.

I do believe this experience shaped him even though he was very small at the time. He was much less the risk taker compared to his peers. He wasn’t breaking bones jumping skateboards or bmx. Kinda didn’t have to worry about him. He knew a little about mortality.

How would Druff fare with all this?
    that stuck with me too. I had to take deep breaths as I was reading it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Not going to be tonight. I'll let you guys know about tomorrow.

I've kinda hit a plateau, where I'm not as bad as I was earlier in the week, but I stopped improving. Kinda yo-yos back and forth between better and worse, throughout the day.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Not going to be tonight. I'll let you guys know about tomorrow.

I've kinda hit a plateau, where I'm not as bad as I was earlier in the week, but I stopped improving. Kinda yo-yos back and forth between better and worse, throughout the day.
    This is just a guess but bad sleep patterns are a known problem and you may be at the top of the list of people with that condition.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In the ER now

GL me

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In the ER now

GL me
    Jesus, not a believer but will give it a shot

pics needed of course

nurses

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well I haven't had a heart attack yet, but this hospital might give me one.

Check out this idiotic argument I'm having here. Keep in mind I try NOT to be a difficult patient. I try to follow their requests and generally trust the doctors to do the right thing. However, sometimes dumb shit happens and I have to speak up.

Here's the progression of things, so everyone can understand..

On Monday, I was 100% fine.

Tuesday I woke up with some left foot pain. I stood up and noticed it was worse with the pressure of standing on it. I could walk, but it was painful and I was limping. The pain was at the back of the foot and heel area. I thought maybe I did something to it while sleeping and wasn't alarmed.

Wedenesday I woke up and it was much worse. I couldn't stand on it. Horrrrrrible pain. I couldn't walk. Had to hop on one foot to go take a piss. It also hurt even when I was sitting or lying down, just not nearly as much as when standing.

I also went to the doctor on Wednesday. It was an orthopedist. I was squeezed in with a non-appointment. It was determined I most likely had a very bad case of gout, wihch I've had twice before in the past 10 years, but only in my hands. The Achilles tendon seemed to be fine. The foot was swollen, but nothing else was. I was prescribed an anti-inflammatory and told it would likely get substantially better within 1-2 days.

For the entirety of Wednesday and Thursday, I could not walk and was in substantial pain in the area. However, nothing else on my body hurt, and I didn't feel sick. I cancelled radio because the pain was too distracting.

Thursday night I could walk again, albeit in pain and with a limp. It seemed to be getting better and better, but then Friday it got worse again. It almost got to the point where I couldn't walk once again, but I never quite got there. Saturday it seemed to yo-yo between bad pain to moderate pain.

Saturday night, however, was the problem. All of a sudden, new things started happening. The other foot swelled up, though it didn't hurt. The swelling then hit both ankles. I started feeling pins and needles in both hands. I started getting moderately lightheaded.

Uh oh. Maybe it wasn't gout, after all!

I also took my blood pressure. 175/88 -- the highest I've ever seen in my life, by a wide margin.

I decided at that point to go to the ER. That's where I am right now.

Now what is my issue with them? Among other things, they're taking a blood test. Okay, standard. I asked, "Can you check my uric acid?" The reason I wanted that checked is obvious. I was diagnosed with gout on Wednesday, but it wasn't verified with any labs. Wouldn't it be useful to see the uric acid level, even if that alone can't confirm gout? Also, I told them that my uric acid level was high, in my last blood test in late May (even though I didn't have gout them).

They didn't care. I was told, "The doctor ordered what they felt was important", and that I had no control over whether they test uric acid.

I told them that they just drew my blood and it was very trivial to add uric acid to what's being tested. The nurse begrudgingly asked the doctor if they'd test uric acid, at my request.

The doctor sent her back to tell me that it wasn't medically necessary, since uric acid alone can't diagnose gout, and it wouldn't be done.

MOTHERFUCKERS YOU JUST TOOK MY BLOOD, JUST TICK THE FUCKING URIC ACID BOX

So here I have a gout diagnosis from 3 days ago, and they are refusing to throw a uric acid test in there, while already testing my blood for other things.

I told them I was going to walk out and go elsewhere (or home) if they refused to test it. Laughably, they told me I can get uric acid tested later this week with my regular doctor. You gotta be fucking kidding me. Wouldn't it be useful to know if uric acid is unusually high, given that gout is strongly suspected?

What's also annoying is that the doctor still won't come out and talk to me (don't even know if it's a male or female) and keeps sending messages through the nurses. Also they wanted to prescribe meds which duplicate my blood pressure meds, and nobody bothered to ask me what meds I'm currently on.

Isn't that like super standard to check?

Total fail here so far.

Anyway, I'm not kidding. If they won't test the uric acid, I will legit walk out. F them.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, since that argument, nobody is telling me yes or no about the uric acid.

It's pretty much, "We'll see what the doctor says now, we communicated your request", and nobody is answering me.

So I think they are slowrolling me, and hoping that when the results come back, I won't want to wait another hour to have it done. They're right, I won't wait another hour just for uric acid to be tested.

But I will walk out and pay ZERO POINT ZERO of the bill if that occurs.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well, not much to do now besides run my ZED Run horses and wait to see if they tested my uric acid levels.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well, I got some LOL news.

The doctor left. I guess it was the end of his shift, or whatever.

My case was transferred to a PA, which sucks. I did not agree to this, but whatever.

The PA is the one being the asshole and absolutely refusing the uric acid test, in what appears to be a battle of egos.

The PA also won't come out and talk to me, but keeps sending the (male) nurse with the messages to me. The PA has not made any contact with me yet. As I said, I'm not even sure if it's a male or female.

I just threw down the gauntlet that I'm leaving and making a complaint on Monday if this is being refused. I'm not going to play an ego game with a PA.

If I croak because of leaving early, put on my epitaph that I died being a Jew.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well, I got some LOL news.

The doctor left. I guess it was the end of his shift, or whatever.

My case was transferred to a PA, which sucks. I did not agree to this, but whatever.

The PA is the one being the asshole and absolutely refusing the uric acid test, in what appears to be a battle of egos.

The PA also won't come out and talk to me, but keeps sending the (male) nurse with the messages to me. The PA has not made any contact with me yet. As I said, I'm not even sure if it's a male or female.

I just threw down the gauntlet that I'm leaving and making a complaint on Monday if this is being refused. I'm not going to play an ego game with a PA.

If I croak because of leaving early, put on my epitaph that I died being a Jew.
    I get it, they don't want patients telling them what to do, but stay there. You may end up in an ambulance in a few hours or days.

Just suck it up. You're epitaph will probably read, "I was wrong"

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well I've been kicked loose anyway because nothing of note was found.

Complaint likely coming about this. I will check with some doctors I know who work in a hospital setting to see if I'm out of line here, or if my demand was reasonable. If they agree with me, I'm filing a complaint and demanding a steep discount off this bill. If I'm told I was wrong, then I'll drop it.

No EKG was done, either. Don't know how they know my heart is ok, but I'm done with this place.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well I've been kicked loose anyway because nothing of note was found.

Complaint likely coming about this. I will check with some doctors I know who work in a hospital setting to see if I'm out of line here, or if my demand was reasonable. If they agree with me, I'm filing a complaint and demanding a steep discount off this bill.

No EKG was done, either. Don't know how they know my heart is ok, but I'm done with this place.
    Big difference between Canadian and American health care, the money clock does not keep running in Canada . I'd probably bail in your situation as well

Load Metric
    I cannot think of a worse place to be on a Saturday night than an ER in Los Angeles. However, you were in the wrong here, complaining and bitching to overworked doctors in an ER, in the middle of Covid, I would have kicked you out. You came in there for a non ER issue looking for help, and you basically shit all over everyone on a technicality. They will not give a shit if you pay or not, they will simply farm out the invoice to a bill collector.

You probably have peripheral neuropathy, the onset is pretty severe but you will get used to it. There are meds you can take to mitigate the effects.

Getting back to your hospital experience, you joked about being a Jew. No, it has nothing to do about that. You were a fucking ass, and if you had any decency you'd go back to the ER and apologize and offer to cater in lunch. You were flat out wrong. Berating people in an ER working for peanuts in Covid is a terrible look.

Comments

LegalizeMeth: this is how you maintain your status as the #1 dupe account

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    I cannot think of a worse place to be on a Saturday night than an ER in Los Angeles. However, you were in the wrong here, complaining and bitching to overworked doctors in an ER, in the middle of Covid, I would have kicked you out. You came in there for a non ER issue looking for help, and you basically shit all over everyone on a technicality. They will not give a shit if you pay or not, they will simply farm out the invoice to a bill collector.

You probably have peripheral neuropathy, the onset is pretty severe but you will get used to it. There are meds you can take to mitigate the effects.

Getting back to your hospital experience, you joked about being a Jew. No, it has nothing to do about that. You were a fucking ass, and if you had any decency you'd go back to the ER and apologize and offer to cater in lunch. You were flat out wrong. Berating people in an ER working for peanuts in Covid is a terrible look.
    Wow, I agree with everything said in the above post. That may be a first

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Nobody in the ER is working for peanuts.

This isn't Jack in the Box.

Go back to plumbing.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Go back to plumbing.

Yeah well he just laid it out. The meter is running and you think you know more than people who studied for years in their profession.

Your ego is bigger than that hospital.

What's your next move if your conditions worsen?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Anyway, I'm back home.

Before I left, I did talk to that PA. They chose not to do the uric acid test because they said it "wouldn't change treatment either way" no matter what it read.

But it was a conscious choice to refuse to do it. There was no "technicality" preventing it, and they wouldn't have been under any liability had they done it. It was also extremely fast and cheap to do, since they already took my blood. The results of the uric acid test would have informed all of the other results, because it would increase or decrease the likelihood gout was the cause of the problems.

The refusal was actually the misapplication of a general policy to avoid allowing patients to use the ER as a substitute for their general doctor. For example, if I were to say, "While you've got my blood, can you check my testosterone? I want to know if it's still normal for my age", they'd be correct to refuse, because that would have nothing to do with the reason I was there.

However, they did the standard metabolic panel, of which uric acid is often part anyway. For example, they checked my potassium, which also had no direct correlation with treatment.

I'm going to ask some doctors I know to give me their opinion. If they agree with bottomset and say I was out of line, then I will not complain. If they agree with me, then a complaint is forthcoming.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Go back to plumbing.

Yeah well he just laid it out. The meter is running and you think you know more than people who studied for years in their profession.

Your ego is bigger than that hospital.

What's your next move if your conditions worsen?
    Oh, they admitted the uric acid level was relevant to what's going on with me. They just felt it wasn't their responsibility to check, and if I wanted to know, I could go to my general doctor on Monday.

My next move if my conditions worsen would be to go to a different hospital.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I want to say one other thing.

It's extremely stupid to just blindly say/do what doctors and hospitals tell you, without both sanity-checking the situation and advocating for yourself if you feel there's an issue. Medical malpractice -- both undertreatment and overtreatment -- kills about 250,000 people (!!) in the US each year.

While you don't want to be the asshole who doubts everything your doctor tells you, you also don't want to be the dummy who blindly follows everything they say.

I woke up yesterday believing my problems were the result of a very bad case of gout. Then, when things started to get weird at night, I wondered if maybe it wasn't gout, and if it was something more dangerous. So I went to the ER to be safe rather than sorry, since some of the symptoms are ones which can be dangerous.

When a patient shows up and says, "I have X and Y problem, a doctor already said this week it was probably gout, but didn't verify, and I'm worried maybe it's something worse", then you check the uric acid to see if gout is the likely culprit. You don't refuse in a battle of egos.

More info is always better in medical situations.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, nobody there was overworked. There were tons of empty beds, and nobody looked particularly frantic or extremely busy. Just looked like an average middle-of-the-night in an ER.

Load Metric
    Anyway, I'm back home.

Before I left, I did talk to that PA. They chose not to do the uric acid test because they said it "wouldn't change treatment either way" no matter what it read.

But it was a conscious choice to refuse to do it. There was no "technicality" preventing it, and they wouldn't have been under any liability had they done it. It was also extremely fast and cheap to do, since they already took my blood. The results of the uric acid test would have informed all of the other results, because it would increase or decrease the likelihood gout was the cause of the problems.

The refusal was actually the misapplication of a general policy to avoid allowing patients to use the ER as a substitute for their general doctor. For example, if I were to say, "While you've got my blood, can you check my testosterone? I want to know if it's still normal for my age", they'd be correct to refuse, because that would have nothing to do with the reason I was there.

However, they did the standard metabolic panel, of which uric acid is often part anyway. For example, they checked my potassium, which also had no direct correlation with treatment.

I'm going to ask some doctors I know to give me their opinion. If they agree with bottomset and say I was out of line, then I will not complain. If they agree with me, then a complaint is forthcoming.
    What a horses ass you are. You go into an ER for a NON life threatening issue, and you berate nurses and doctors who are treating people dying from Covid every day. First you overreacted by going to an ER for a non emergency, then you bitch out people for no reason trying to help you in an ER for your non life threatening issue. And LOL saying nurses in an ER are not underpaid, you have no clue. They are not there for the pay, hours or prestige. They are there because they like helping patients. They even accept the fact they have to deal with an unruly asshole with a sore foot at 2am. Get some business about yourself. Life and personal conduct does not always have to be transactional.

Thread Information