Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio won't happen this week... or perhaps for the rest of 2021 (update: Radio BACK, but I had terrible ER visit riddled with incompetence)

Gold
    Load Metric
    Male 50ish
    3 doses Pfizer
    Severe pain
    Reported to the VAERS database.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Druff, goddamn, you are falling the fuck apart. Multiple battles with gout in 10 years, the LPR, elbow bursitis, etc so forth...

Earlier in the thread, you talked about the outside chance your bursitis was vaccine-caused, but you already have a history of gout, a super well-known and common cause of bursitis. Did you not put those 2 things together?

I don't know if you still eat those super late big meals, or drink those daily pepsis, or what your eating deal is or even if you get any daily activity or exercise at all, but brother Druff, at some point you have to realize that you are doing a ton of this stuff to yourself. You have super-discipline when it comes to some things, and you have tremendous energy for causes that you think are worthwhile and important, you gotta turn that inside and concentrate on your body, which is giving you a TON of signs that shit is not going well.

I wish you all the luck in this, the whole situation sucks, and we've all had health issues of some sort of the years.

If only you could treat your own body with the level of customer service you demand from others in all other aspects of your life, you'd be a lean, mean, goutless machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanDruff
    I’m actually healthier than your average 50+ year old male. My brother and Google can confirm this. Would you like me to scan the results to you? Seriously though, I might just shut this whole site down if these unwarranted attacks continue. No way I’m paying for this site. They try to charge me, I’ll just dispute it on my credit card.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I've been to the ER (a proper one) more times than you've cashed in a tourney and was never asked to fill out any kind of form.

The big no no was not getting an ekg test as soon a you arrived with the symptoms you have described.

But you didn't have a heart attack so there goes that avenue

Load Metric
    Thread serves as good reminder to stay healthy in the winter months.

I've only gained like 5 pounds since being a parent but the stress of him being sick and subsequent lack of sleep has really cut into my fitness and eating, often just throwing together whatever is easy and sleep being lost. Have always had enough resolve to still get in workouts when tired - with a baby I'm now taking nights off regularly.

Gotta dig in and get back into form. The loss of sleep has been brutal.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Druff, goddamn, you are falling the fuck apart. Multiple battles with gout in 10 years, the LPR, elbow bursitis, etc so forth...

Earlier in the thread, you talked about the outside chance your bursitis was vaccine-caused, but you already have a history of gout, a super well-known and common cause of bursitis. Did you not put those 2 things together?

I don't know if you still eat those super late big meals, or drink those daily pepsis, or what your eating deal is or even if you get any daily activity or exercise at all, but brother Druff, at some point you have to realize that you are doing a ton of this stuff to yourself. You have super-discipline when it comes to some things, and you have tremendous energy for causes that you think are worthwhile and important, you gotta turn that inside and concentrate on your body, which is giving you a TON of signs that shit is not going well.

I wish you all the luck in this, the whole situation sucks, and we've all had health issues of some sort of the years.

If only you could treat your own body with the level of customer service you demand from others in all other aspects of your life, you'd be a lean, mean, goutless machine.
    My history of gout prior to this was a minor one. My first was about 10 years ago in my thumb. Hurt badly, but resolved on its own within 3 days, and obviously wasn't debilitating like this one because it was just a thumb.

The second was also in my hand but not as bad, and probably happened about 6 years ago.

So it's not a chronic problem -- at least not until now. I had high uric acid on some blood tests, but never any issues since that last problem several years ago.

I didn't connect it to the bursitis thing a month ago until just recently. I thought it was just bursitis. Now it is likely the elbow thing (which has returned now, in a less severe form) is related to gout, but I had no reason to think that a month ago.

There is some chance the vaccine caused this flare up, because all vaccines bring an elevated risk of gout -- not just the COVID one. It is also possible that one of my blood pressure meds caused it, as I just learned yesterday. It is also possible it is neither of these things, and it just happened.

Losing weight might have prevented this gout problem, but it also might not have. There's some association between weight and gout, but many thin people also get it.

In general I don't like to just chalk up medical issues to behavior which seems unhealthy on the surface ("super late big meals") but doesn't actually have a major impact on anything. The truth is that most health problems are either hereditary, bad luck, or the result of really bad lifestyle choices (smoking, drug/alcohol abuse, obesity, etc).

I'm almost 50, with zero surgeries lifetime, zero major health threats, and some chronic problems which are frustrating but not life-threatening. That's not to say I couldn't be doing better with more exercise and losing some weight, but a lot of the perception of my health is amplified because I discuss it out here (and then argue with the trolls), whereas everyone else here tends to keep quiet about whatever they're dealing with.

Load Metric
    For those that missed the purpose of the thread is the owner of the site walked into an ER at 1am on a Saturday night and disagreed with his medical condition. He was feigning a fake heart attack and wanted immediate attention. The staff refused because they likely felt Druff was just another weirdo looking for free medical assistance, which proved to be right since he is perfectly fine now. So now Druff is freaking out because he as a 500 insurance deductible. LOL.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Losing weight might have prevented this gout problem, but it also might not have. There's some association between weight and gout, but many thin people also get it.
    Yes there's some association between weight and gout, but WAY more important is diet. If you got gout twice, and didn't make certain diet changes, you were assured of getting it again. That's the story of gout, and you even knew you had high uric acid levels. That's one of the most important reasons not to drink pepsi daily, if you still do that.

As for saying that most health problems are genetic, its very important to remember that how these genes express themselves greatly depends on how we live our lives. You may be more succeptible to gout from genetics, but you trigger the outbreaks by your diet, stress, etc. When you chalk things up mostly to genetics, you allow yourself to ignore the behavioral problems that make certain conditions serious (i.e. dismissing weight loss because it may not work, as you did above), and while I don;t know what exactly you eat every day, I tend to believe from context over the years that you don;t go out of your way to eat clean, in any real sense.

Comments

splitthis: Amen

gimmick: early with tough love, but not wrong

Sanlmar: Well said.
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 12-06-2021 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Typo cleanup

Load Metric
    Yes there's some association between weight and gout, but WAY more important is die If you got gout twice, and didn't make certain diet changes, you were assured of getting it again. That's the story of gout, and you even knew you had high uric acid levels. That's one of the most important reasons not to drink pepsi daily, if you still do that.

As for saying that most health problems are genetic, its very important to remember that how these genes express themselves greatly depends on how we live our lives. You may be more succeptible to gout from genetics, but you trigger the outbreaks by your diet, stress, etc. When you chalk things up mostly to genetics, you allow yourself to ignore the behavioral problems that make certain conditions serious (i.e. dismissing weight loss because it may not work, as you did above), and while I don;t know what exactly you eat every day, I tend to believe from context over the years that you don;t go out of your way to eat clean, in any real sense.
    Cognitive dissonance at its finest, we all engage with this to some extent.

Offset eating fries by exercising a bit more, feeling like we earned that extra meal, drinking loads because of a stressful week, etc.

Unfortunately our bodies aren't so forgiving.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Gold
    Load Metric

My history of gout prior to this was a minor one. My first was about 10 years ago in my thumb. Hurt badly, but resolved on its own within 3 days, and obviously wasn't debilitating like this one because it was just a thumb.

The second was also in my hand but not as bad, and probably happened about 6 years ago.

So it's not a chronic problem -- at least not until now. I had high uric acid on some blood tests, but never any issues since that last problem several years ago.

I didn't connect it to the bursitis thing a month ago until just recently. I thought it was just bursitis. Now it is likely the elbow thing (which has returned now, in a less severe form) is related to gout, but I had no reason to think that a month ago.

There is some chance the vaccine caused this flare up, because all vaccines bring an elevated risk of gout -- not just the COVID one. It is also possible that one of my blood pressure meds caused it, as I just learned yesterday. It is also possible it is neither of these things, and it just happened.

In general I don't like to just chalk up medical issues to behavior which seems unhealthy on the surface ("super late big meals") but doesn't actually have a major impact on anything. The truth is that most health problems are either hereditary, bad luck, or the result of really bad lifestyle choices (smoking, drug/alcohol abuse, obesity, etc).

I'm almost 50, with zero surgeries lifetime, zero major health threats, and some chronic problems which are frustrating but not life-threatening. That's not to say I couldn't be doing better with more exercise and losing some weight, but a lot of the perception of my health is amplified because I discuss it out here (and then argue with the trolls), whereas everyone else here tends to keep quiet about whatever they're dealing with.
    I could spend half the day complaining about how I feel. I tell my mom, my x wife and sometimes my sister how I'm doing. I'm glad you tell us as much as you do and dont want that to stop. For me, I just don't want or need anyones sympathy and I don't like anyone treating me differently due to health issues. I do hope you feel better soon. Also, Sloppy Joe, I didn't know your child had health issues so I would like to say that I hope this is not serious and that its ended or will end soon. God bless.

Load Metric
    feel better Druff you old fart

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    ​AMPUTATION

Platinum
    Load Metric
    So what did the ER do?

Vitals and a blood test?

Amazing how fast bills go to collections these days….a couple months and boom. Between EOBs and misbills and correct bills it’s a mess figuring out what you really owe. All after paying at the doctors office already.

Tried to pay a small bill over the phone, they had already sent it collections and wouldn’t let me pay….oh well.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm seeing a rheumatologist tomorrow. Wasn't all that easy to find one to see me really quickly, but after some calling around, I eventually did. They will very likely be taking the fluid out and testing it for crystals, and I'll know for sure whether or not this is gout.

After I got that appointment successfully in the books, I moved on to the secondary task of calling the hospital to complain.

I was referred to the "Patient Safety" manager, who apparently has the job of taking these type of complaints. While she needs to actually investigate what occurred (which is totally fine and expected), she did state that she agreed some things were very wrong there if my story is accurate.

She said that a doctor or PA should have seen me and examined me, and that if this wasn't done (it wasn't), that was a big blunder.

She also agreed that the medication thing was a huge fail, if that's really what happened (it was).

Supposedly she will call me within a week and let me know her findings, and then we will go from there. I let her know that I'm not looking to sue anyone or get money out of this. I said that I simply didn't want to pay the patient portion of the bill, given that I didn't get any real care there, and the only thing I got was malpractice (being prescribed meds I'm already on, and told to "take it anyway" once I explained this, which could have made my problem worse if I did).

I wanted her to know that I was only looking for the 3-figure patient portion to be wiped, and nothing else, because often these hospitals go into coverup mode if they think they're going to be on the other end of a big lawsuit. So I made it clear I'm not trying to go that route, so hopefully I'll get a more honest investigation. We'll see.

Either way, I'm not paying. They can get what they want from the insurance -- I don't give a shit about that. I just am not paying anything myself.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yes there's some association between weight and gout, but WAY more important is diet. If you got gout twice, and didn't make certain diet changes, you were assured of getting it again. That's the story of gout, and you even knew you had high uric acid levels. That's one of the most important reasons not to drink pepsi daily, if you still do that.

The Pepsi and the red meat are possible culprits to this thing. I actually stopped both abruptly once this was diagnosed as gout on Wednesday -- at least until this goes away.

Once the flare-up is over, I'm actually going to cut down on both, for this exact reason.

The cause of the flare-up isn't likely to be either one, though. That might have been what made me more prone to a flare-up happening, but it's probably not what made the flare-up happen. Remember, I've been drinking the Pepsi and eating a lot of read meat for many years, and haven't had a gout problem since the mid-2010s. As I said, it was most likely either the vaccine booster or the blood pressure meds.

Load Metric
    Remember, I've been drinking the Pepsi and eating a lot of read meat for many years, and haven't had a gout problem since the mid-2010s. As I said, it was most likely either the vaccine booster or the blood pressure meds.
    Even while noting your many years worth of engaging in the most common behavioral causes of gout, you still think it was "most likely" the vax or blood pressure meds that caused this particular outbreak.

Nah, dude, it was most likely your lifetime of pepsi and red meat and whatnot catching up with you AGAIN, as it already had twice before, without any covid vax to blame it on. Not sure when you got on the blood meds, did you blame either previous outbreak on those?

Comments

Sheesfaced: The mental gymnastics are quite entertaining though
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 12-06-2021 at 08:40 PM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Whenever I go to the doctor or urgent care they always ask what medicines I am taking…when I say I don’t take any, they are oftentimes surprised.

Makes me wonder how many middle age people take at least one prescription drug…my wife takes at least 3 on a daily basis.

And skip the venison, neighbor hosts a Super Bowl party and always has deer sausage…even if you’re not prone to gout, that shit will fuck you up if you eat a bunch.
    Last edited by Texter; 12-06-2021 at 08:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Remember, I've been drinking the Pepsi and eating a lot of read meat for many years, and haven't had a gout problem since the mid-2010s. As I said, it was most likely either the vaccine booster or the blood pressure meds.
    Even while noting your many years worth of exgaging in the most common behavioral causes of gout, you still think it was "most likely" the vax or blood pressure meds that caused this particular outbreak.

Nah, dude, it was most likely your lifetime of pepsi and red meat and whatnot catching up with you AGAIN, as it already had twice before, without any covid vax to blame it on. Not sure when you got on the blood meds, did you blame either previous outbreak on those?
    There's no way to prove this either way, so there's no point to argue this very much. However, while I know you're just saying this because you genuinely want to help, I don't agree with this general line of thinking.

If you want to say that the Pepsi/red meat thing put me in the position to get gout in the first place, I can accept that, and perhaps agree.

If you want to say that this was likely the only cause, and that the vaccine/meds likely had nothing to do with it, that's where I can't get on board. Human nature leads us to want to blame bad behavior for bad outcomes, and expect good behavior to lead to good outcomes. This is why, decades after it was discovered that high blood pressure and high cholesterol are mostly the result of genetics and not behavior/diet, most Americans still believe that these are a consequence of unhealthy behavior. Why? Because it feels more comfortable to believe that more things are within our control than actually are.

The most likely situation is that my predisposition to gout comes from a combination of genetics and diet, and this particular attack was the result of either the BP diuretic or the vaccine (or both).

Also, note that I only had two gout attacks lifetime (and none in about 6 years), and both were not particularly disruptive to my life, as they were both in my hand, and both went away after a few days. Therefore, preventing gout wasn't on my mind prior to this. This situation is by far the worst one I've had, gout-wise, so this actually will shake me into paying attention to it more.

Load Metric
    I'm not saying pepsi & meat & similar were the only cause, I'm saying they (and other food habits) are the overwhelming cause, as they are the most common causes of the disease and flare-ups of said disease.

Also, note that I only had two gout attacks lifetime
    Only 2. Yikes.

I don't think you see those as the warning shots they really were. Having even 1 gout flare up is a fireworks display of behavioral warning shots. It was bound to continue popping up, because it had already happened, you haven't changed your diet, and you are getting older like we all are. Gout isn't about just high uric acid levels, its about prolonged high uric acid levels. Why wouldn't it have happen again now?

I'll stop with all this now. Get better, and get off the soda!

edit: one last thing. The reason I can't get behind you deciding that the vaccine/meds were behind this particular outbreak is because its WAY more likely that your long term diet made it possible in the first place, as well as the past 2 times. If the vaccine lit the spark, you were the one who poured all the gas all over the floor in the first place. That's my general point.
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 12-06-2021 at 09:10 PM.

Load Metric
    If you want to say that this was likely the only cause, and that the vaccine/meds likely had nothing to do with it, that's where I can't get on board. Human nature leads us to want to blame bad behavior for bad outcomes, and expect good behavior to lead to good outcomes. This is why, decades after it was discovered that high blood pressure and high cholesterol are mostly the result of genetics and not behavior/diet, most Americans still believe that these are a consequence of unhealthy behavior. Why? Because it feels more comfortable to believe that more things are within our control than actually are.
    I tease you a lot but I genuinely believe this paragraph is perfection.

The highlighted sentence displays a useful and rarely acknowledged insight into the human psyche.

Health needs to be honored with humility. There is randomness.

Thread Information