Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL MLB 2022 THREAD ****

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yung Joc has decided to be a lot more vocal on Twitter lately.

https://twitter.com/yungjoc650/status/1506497016116834304

Joc is on the Giants now. Will be strange to see him in the uniform of a team the Dodgers hate so much.

GM Farhan Zaidi, also formerly of the Dodgers, probably had a soft spot for him. It was Zaidi's excellent work (combined with some luck regarding unexpected performances) which made the Giants win 107 games last year.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, the runner on 2B in extras thing is back, and I couldn't be more disappointed.

I really thought that would forever be a LOL relic of the weird 2020 season, and never spoken of again. Terrible.

Between this and the universal DH, it just doesn't quite feel like the baseball I know. I really hate most of the recent rule changes. The only one I like is the 3-batter rule before a pitching change, because that was basically restoring the game to what it used to be, given that analytics caused a million pitching changes to occur, which would greatly slow down the game.

I'm also not against rules banning defensive shifts, for the same reason.

Comments

Jayjami: Agreed

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I disagree with banning the shift. If hitters are going to grip it and rip it, why should the defense not adjust? There's a simple counter to the shift, we all know, either learn to bunt the other way or hit to the opposite field, even without power (harder than bunting.)

Comments

Sanlmar: Yup, learn how to hit instead of 3 outcome

Load Metric
    It’ll be a while before I cease to be butt hurt about these rotten & pandering changes. I may never get past it. 162 game exhibition season.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    It’ll be a while before I cease to be butt hurt about these rotten & pandering changes. I may never get past it. 162 game exhibition season.
    Yeah, that's actually the worst change by far, but not talked about nearly enough. I was okay with the playoffs expanded to 8 teams in 1995, since there were enough new teams where the old model of 4 teams was just unrealistic. Too many years where an excellent team got screwed out of the postseason.

When it expanded to 10 teams, I hated it. In fact, it got even worse with the tanking situation, as this gave a tremendous boost to mediocre teams with an easy late schedule (full of tanking opponents), and they could squeak into the playoffs despite having no business being there. At the same time, I hated the 1-game playoff, as it turned everything into a complete crapshoot for these teams which would squeak in. Not only do you have mediocre teams making the postseason, but they can eliminate a really good wildcard team in just 1 game.

Now with 12 teams making it... oy vey. Why are they wasting their time playing 162 games?

There's a theory about last year's results which I think carries a lot of validity. The Giants and Dodgers knocked themselves out so much fighting to win the NL West, both were exhausted by the time the playoffs came around. The Dodgers barely won, but their two best starters (Buehler and Scherzer) were dead-armed, and couldn't contribute what was expected of them. The winner ended up being the 88-win Braves, who were a lot better than their record indicated, but also benefited from not having to sweat out the final weeks of the season. Their 88 wins were still enough to lead by 6.5 games.

Should anyone even try to win big in the regular season? Or is it better strategy to load manage the entire way, and accept that you'll be presenting the fans with failteams for a number of games during the season, so you can play better when it really matters in October?

Comments

Sanlmar: Applause. Could not have said it better

Load Metric
    There exists a commonly used hockey model that calculates the importance of a given regular season game.

First let me say that the Tampa Bay Lightning have won the last two Stanley Cups. One of the adjustments they made was not blowing their brains out in the regular season. This Tampa Bay example is specifically talked about around the sport. Save your goalie etc.

Especially as the end of the hockey season approached, obviously you want to consider informally or plug into your model the effect winning or losing that night will have on the probability that team will have on making the playoff or the second round. yes, the subsequent rounds are calculated too as a result of a given regular season game.

So many NHL ploppies are gonna get sacrificed tomorrow cause they blindly apply year long data.

Why the Dodgers never ever applied playoff tournament theory I’ll never know.

In the end, each MLB regular season game has been devalued at precisely the same time these sorts of analytics are coming into vogue.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Interesting fact:

The Dodgers made the 2021 playoffs as the 1st wildcard, despite winning 106 games. However, this was only their third wildcard berth ever.

12 of their 15 playoff appearances since 1995 have been division titles. Their only wildcard berths were years apart -- 1996, 2006, and 2021. You almost can't count 2021, because they had the second best record in baseball.

What does this say? The Dodgers have done very well in the regular season, especially since 2008, where they've won the NL West 10 times in 14 tries (only failing to do so in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2021).

How many World Series titles since 1989? Just one, during that ridiculous short season. (To be fair, they really should have been the 2017 champion, as well.)

Might be time to load manage.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I was looking at a list of all time MLB HR leaders.

Fred McGriff had 493 and is tied for 29th, with Lou Gehrig.

However, McGriff has the most HR of any non-PED user who isn't active or in the HOF. The only non-HOFers with more: Miguel Cabrera (active), Gary Sheffield (roids), Manny Ramirez (roids), Rafael Palmeiro (roids and a limp dick), Mark McGwire (roids), Sammy Sosa (roids), Albert Pujols (active), Alex Rodriguez (roids), and Barry Bonds (roids).

McGriff HOF debate: https://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/...of-fame-debate

The case against McGriff was that he was a 1B (where the standard for offense is higher to be considered special), he averaged only 24 HR per year for the final 11 years of his career, and that he didn't hit the elusive 500 HR milestone.

However, he hit for average (especially early in his career), had almost 500 HR, and didn't take roids in an era when many other stars did, including pitchers he faced.

If Bonds, with his insane numbers, is shut out because of roids, shouldn't McGriff get a bump from playing in the same era without roids? I think he should.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    And speaking of Pujols, he went back home. Signed with the Cardinals.

He's probably 45, though, even though he claims to be 42.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

However, McGriff has the most HR of any non-PED user who isn't active or in the HOF. The only non-HOFers with more: Miguel Cabrera (active), Gary Sheffield (roids), Manny Ramirez (roids), Rafael Palmeiro (roids and a limp dick), Mark McGwire (roids), Sammy Sosa (roids), Albert Pujols (active), Alex Rodriguez (roids), and Barry Bonds (roids).

The case against McGriff was that he was a 1B (where the standard for offense is higher to be considered special), he averaged only 24 HR per year for the final 11 years of his career, and that he didn't hit the elusive 500 HR milestone.

However, he hit for average (especially early in his career), had almost 500 HR, and didn't take roids in an era when many other stars did, including pitchers he faced.

If Bonds, with his insane numbers, is shut out because of roids, shouldn't McGriff get a bump from playing in the same era without roids? I think he should.
    It is kind of cute that you think Crime Dog is completely clean and that Bonds is completely roided out.

Players have been using whatever edge they could use forever.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

It is kind of cute that you think Crime Dog is completely clean and that Bonds is completely roided out.

Players have been using whatever edge they could use forever.
    There were never any rumors about McGriff, and in fact the talk about him was that he vocally refused to touch roids when it was suggested to him. This isn't a case like Mike Piazza, where there were rumors but no smoking gun.

His numbers also never saw any kind of abrupt jump. He was actually pretty consistent throughout his career. He neither had outlier years nor had a sudden late-career revival when it seemed like he was done.

It is very possible that he was doing well enough to be satisfied with his performance, and didn't want the risk associated with roids. It's also possible he was just against them and refused to do it, from a moral standpoint. I don't think there's any real suspicion that he was a roid guy.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The Dodgers renewed the MLB contract of Andrew Toles for $700k, despite the fact he hasn't played MLB since 2018, and probably won't play again.

He's had an odd career trajectory -- from out of baseball to being a semi-starter for the Dodgers to being out of baseball again. He suffers from schizophrenia, and has been in and out of homeless shelters over the past few years.

The Dodgers keep re-signing him in what appears to be part humanitaran and part PR. In addition to the $700k, he gets access to the team healthcare plan. However, it should be noted that he could get access to healthcare anyway if he were making no money, via Obamacare. This does make it easier for him, though. For some reason the healthcare thing is being mentioned in the media more than the $700k, which is odd.

https://www.dodgersnation.com/dodger...ve/2022/03/28/

https://apnews.com/article/mlb-busin...2050d7f4951bdc

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Guardians…oof what a fail.

Name is terrible.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post

Name is terrible.
    That's what I thought too,

until Washington was named the Commanders.
    Tradition is a set of solutions for which we have forgotten the problems.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post

Name is terrible.
    That's what I thought too,

until Washington was named the Commanders.
    They're both stupid fails.

Load Metric
    So Fangraphs is doing its annual projections of teams individual positions, and CF was today. The Dodgers write up will surely be enjoyed by some here, although they did put them 8th:

At this point, your guess is as good as mine or anyone else’s when it comes to Cody Bellinger. Just two years removed from an MVP-winning campaign, one of the rocks upon which the Dodgers looked to build their future has crumbled. Among players with 350 or more plate appearances last year, his 48 wRC+ was “beaten” only by Jackie Bradley Jr.’s 35. His hard-hit and barrel stats took a dive in 2020 and stayed supine on the floor last year, muttering about a left hook coming out of nowhere. Speaking of left hooks: Southpaws held Bellinger to a .116/.208/.174 line, rendering him a platoon player at best.

There’s a lot wrong here, to put it briefly, and no immediate or obvious fix. Our projections are sunny (or at least less cloudy), but it doesn’t seem like things are getting better: He’s struck out in 17 of his 28 trips to the plate this spring as he continues to tinker with his swing, apparently daily. And while the man himself is taking things in the kind of relaxed stride you’d expect from a dude whose eyes are permanently half-closed, the Dodgers are presumably less chill about their center fielder who hits like a pitcher. There are several options to pick up the slack if Bellinger remains adrift, though each brings their own flaws. Chris Taylor is needed everywhere all at once; Gavin Lux is neither a center fielder nor a right-handed hitter; and Kevin Pillar is literally Kevin Pillar. This group will only go as far as Bellinger can carry them, and right now, it’s an open question as to whether he’s capable.

Comments

Sanlmar:

Load Metric
    I just noticed the Padres grabbed the Cleveland Indians pitching coach of 21 years.

Cleveland’s pitching development is the stuff of legend. Pitchers like BCR & my binky, Karinchek, were just guys in college. Hardly plus, plus. A broke ass outfit like Cleveland churned out great great arms.

It’s interesting to see that particular coach and Clevinger back together.

With the shortened spring training and guys not stretched out you might see stuff like a 6 man rotation or other strange. A great pitching coach in this particular year can differentiate big time. Maybe save you from injuries.

Padres rookie CJ Abrams might get an opening day start at shortstop because Tatis is a retard and got hurt. In another era I would have fired a ROY future on him. Monster power.

I’m screwing around with exhibition in certain spots just to keep my arm loose. I have one Vlad HR future just cause there was a bet boost. Otherwise, I have nothing preseason for baseball this year.

Lol, Bellinger. I rode that guy and Druff hard Bellinger’s rookie and sophomore year. I just didn’t get it. I couldn’t deny his results though. I am less than surprised now.

The above comparison to JBJr is intriguing. JBJ was at one point the greatest center fielder I ever saw. Bellinger sure can play the outfield. He’s no JBJ but for a big guy he’s athletic. Neither can hit for shit.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 03-31-2022 at 09:30 PM.

Load Metric
    I wonder if 6 man rotations and openers pressed into service because pitchers aren’t ready will became a permanent fixture in this new age of the 162 game load managed exhibition season. Why not?

How a person wagers that kind of stuff we will wait to see. In recent years we already pretty much refused to bet anything but first 5 innings.

Why not just play 5 innings?

Load Metric
    Lol, Bellinger

After going 0 for 3 and leaving bases loaded (LOB 3) he was lifted having put in his work.

.121 BA

Why would you ever lift this lunkhead? This guy needs all the at bats he can get. I’m sure there is some high level analytics involved that I don’t understand.

Load Metric
    One great part of the new CBA that gets little press is the rookie promotion incentive, and it appears to be working. More top prospects breaking camp with the club instead of going to AAA to "work on their defense". Maybe that Mariners executive can get his job back, as this year they are having Julio Rodriguez break camp with the team.

Stott in Philly appears to have won the SS job. Hope he has good range to make up for the 7 DH's on the rest of his team.

Thread Information