Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL MLB 2022 THREAD ****

Load Metric
    The Mets are over 30 games above .500 for the first time in my entire fandom. It's amazing what happens when good pitching gets run support

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    We might very well be looking at a Dodgers/Mets NLCS

Dodgers beating the new-look Padres AGAIN, and going for the sweep..

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    We might very well be looking at a Dodgers/Mets NLCS

Dodgers beating the new-look Padres AGAIN, and going for the sweep..
    18-4 so far.

So what’s the Dodger playoff rotation?

I think it’s gonna be a NL free for all.

Bellinger may move up from the 9 hole. Gallo can take his place.

Load Metric
    We might very well be looking at a Dodgers/Mets NLCS.
    Mets closer Diaz 52.9% strikeout rate is Cy Young worthy. Remind you of Dodger steroid closer Eric Gagne?

Ill give you more time with your playoff #1/2 submittal. Mets DeGrom, Scherzer.

Load Metric
    Very Karinchak inning for your boy tonight San.

Tigers - Bottom 8th
    KARINCHAK PITCHING FOR CLE
    CLE3
    DET2
    Greene singled to center.
    Reyes hit by pitch, Greene to second.
    Báez struck out swinging.
    H. Castro singled to right, Reyes to second, Greene to third.

Haase struck out swinging.

Carpenter struck out looking.

Kid gives me a heart attack, but he’s getting it done. Him going off the field was priceless.

That he’s our only unvaccinated player as we prepare for first trip to Toronto is unsurprising. Crazy is part of his charm. I’ll give him a pass.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Al Avila has been fired.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...detroit-tigers

They never got going during his entire tenure.

Load Metric
    The most profitable team in Baseball since July 4th has been the Dodgers 28-4. Followed by Orioles, Mets, Mariners

The least profitable team since July 4th has been the Yankees.

That’s pretty thought provoking.

Yeah, I think Guardians take the Central with Clase & Karincheck and Tito as manager being the difference.

Speaking of the backend. Another Craig Kimbrel experience tonight, I’m told. Extra bases, wild pitches, runs. Didn’t see it personally but it’s nothing new.

I have still not seen Mets Diaz this year live.

Astros and Jays are still on the banned list.

Betts Freeman & Turner are simply incredible.

This Field of Dreams game tomorrow between Cubs and Reds is an abomination. Like the Apple TV games I suspect a juiced ball and over - but these teams are so bad. I am just gonna autobet over 9 and check the box score tomorrow night. Too much money spent and hype to leave the entertainment to chance. I just convinced myself.

Baseball is really so bad this year. The playoff format is a joke. We will get thru it though.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-10-2022 at 11:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Agree the playoff format is a joke. At least the Dodgers get a bye out of this ridiculousness in the first round.

LOL 12 of 30 teams in baseball making it to the postseason, in a 162-game season full of variance. Brutal.

Here are the teams in contention for the postseason:

Class 1: Excellent teams
    Dodgers
    Yankees
    Astros
    Mets (feels dirty to write this)

Class 2: Good teams
    Braves
    Padres
    Mariners
    Phillies

Class 3: Marginal teams
    Blue Jays
    Rays
    Orioles
    Indians
    Twins
    White Sox
    Cardinals
    Brewers

This means 16 of 30 teams are in realistic contention right now, though this number is a bit inflated due to the mediocrity in both Central divisions, which leaves .500ish teams like the White Sox with a decent shot to win the division.

If the playoffs were based upon today's standings:

Bye in first round: Dodgers, Mets, Yankees, Astros
    Other 2 division winners: Cardinals, Indians
    Wildcards: Mariners, Blue Jays, Rays or Orioles (tied right now), Braves, Phillies, Padres

So of these 12 teams, the worst is the Rays or Orioles, currently both at .527, which projects to 85 wins.

The other 5 wildcards would range between 88 and 95 wins.

An 88-win team winning the World Series isn't terrible, though it is if there are four teams with well over 100 wins, which there very well might be. An 85-win team winning the World Series is a travesty.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The Dodgers offense is an absolute machine now that Muncy and Bellinger are hitting.

That bullpen really scares me though. Not just Kimbrel. Pretty much all of them. I really hope that's not on this team's epitaph in October. There wasn't much in the way of starting pitching worth having, so I'm fine with the lack of moves there. They could've grabbed some bullpen help. There's always some outlier middle reliever on a bad team having a career year, who can be had for cheap. Huge mistake to leave a gaping bullpen hole like this when you have an offense which crushes like this.

Dodgers with a crushing 589/353 scored/allowed ratio right now. They and the Yankees are both 1-2 in runs scored AND fewest runs allowed.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Agree the playoff format is a joke. At least the Dodgers get a bye out of this ridiculousness in the first round.

LOL 12 of 30 teams in baseball making it to the postseason, in a 162-game season full of variance. Brutal.

Dodgers
    Yankees
    Astros

Braves
    Padres
    Mariners
    Phillies

Blue Jays
    Rays
    Orioles
    Indians
    Twins
    White Sox
    Cardinals
    Brewers

This means 16 of 30 teams are in realistic contention right now, though this number is a bit inflated due to the mediocrity in both Central divisions, which leaves .500ish teams like the White Sox with a decent shot to win the division.

Wildcards: Mariners, Blue Jays, Rays or Orioles (tied right now), Braves, Phillies, Padres

So of these 12 teams, the worst is the Rays or Orioles, currently both at .527, which projects to 85 wins.

An 88-win team winning the World Series isn't terrible, though it is if there are four teams with well over 100 wins, which there very well might be. An 85-win team winning the World Series is a travesty.
    It will probably take ~88 wins to get in the AL WC I bet. If we assume the Jays and Mariners are in, there's 3 teams (Rays, and two of Twins/Guardians/White Sox) with 83-85 projected wins left, one of them is likely to overperform by a few wins and take the last spot.

Load Metric

Dodgers
    Yankees
    Astros

Braves
    Padres
    Mariners
    Phillies

Blue Jays
    Rays
    Orioles
    Indians
    Twins
    White Sox
    Cardinals
    Brewers

Interesting pull mentioning an 88 win team which was Atlanta last year. Im not sure how suddenly 3 less wins for a team due to pure luck from a couple odd bounces of the baseball turns it into a travesty though seems a little random. I mean NFL has had marginal teams win the SB (see Giants over NE with a regular season of 9-7). NHL has had teams with a win/point record as low as .530 before including Shittsburg Penguins back to back in 91 and 92 but nothing compared to Chicago in 1938 who had an abysmal 14-25-9 record. But back to baseball hey Druff remember 2006?? Cardinals won the World Series with 83 wins and the Twins won it in 1987 with that 85 win total so it can and has happened even before the increase in playoff teams.

Load Metric
    I’ve watched a lot of those marginal AL teams and I’m more certain than ever that all of them are drawing very close to dead. In years past, I thought one of them might catch a heater. I truly don’t think any of them can win it this year.

Load Metric
    There are two different tournaments.

For poker players, you can think of the regular season as a satellite tournament earning a seat to the playoffs.

Regular season wins can have little to do with your tournament success. It’s two entirely different seasons with different skill requirements. The biggest difference is pitching vs offense. You know this.

Run differential results applied to the playoffs is exercise in mental masturbation. You ever watch regular season get away games punted with a position player on the mound - most extreme example. Teams manage bullpens.

If you have ever played tournament baseball you get it.

The Dodgers are prima facie evidence of a large sample size of this fact. This has has been the secret sauce to my Dodger playoff insight.

Do you remember the Dodgers announcing that Kershaw would be eligible out of the bullpen vs the Nationals? True to dimwit Dave Robert’s word Kershaw comes out of the bullpen and surrenders back to back HR’s. One of my two or three greatest scores occurred that night. +900 stuff. Why give the opponent your game plan and allow them to prepare? Idk. I posted my pregame plan and real-time sports book pictures.

The frustration I read about teams with low regular season wins taking the prize evidences a lack of understanding. If you are a MLB gambler you can ignore these facts at your own peril.

Healthy Mets son. Yankees reliever Chad Green’s injury is a huge deal.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-11-2022 at 06:40 AM.

Load Metric
    Variance and World Series wins?

How about the Bubbe-chip?

Teams didn’t even play the same number of games? There were teams that had their entire lineup out (insert Mariners) and had to play and other teams got byes.

For you conspiracy theorists - did you ever wonder why the Dodgers never got sick? Just good luck, lol? Was it hand sanitizing and masks?

Yeah, you know what I’m saying. Everyone cheats.

Dodgers got a trophy for good hygiene.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    "Tournament baseball" when you are 16 or w/e is probably slightly different from the MLB.

And variance/luck is omega real, lol at "marginal teams have no shot". Steve fucking Pearce was the WS MVP in 2018, and the last 8 winners are all unique (inc the Royals and the Nats).

Load Metric
    Tatis out 80 games for PEDs

Ouch

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Tatis out 80 games for PEDs

Ouch
    Ohtani next?

Load Metric
    LMAO Tatis. "Whoops, a steroid in my anti-fungal cream, I SWEAR!" He probably found a stash at his dads house.

I wonder if he still has to pay 10% of his lost salary to that company he signed with in the minors. Prellers statement speaks volumes, but I was saying that on here on whichever thread we were talking about that loan shark deal. Kid might not be the sharpest tool in the shed.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    LMAO Tatis. "Whoops, a steroid in my anti-fungal cream, I SWEAR!" He probably found a stash at his dads house.

I wonder if he still has to pay 10% of his lost salary to that company he signed with in the minors. Prellers statement speaks volumes, but I was saying that on here on whichever thread we were talking about that loan shark deal. Kid might not be the sharpest tool in the shed.
    Ima check in here next year and Druff will still be whining about the new playoff format. The 1 and 2 seeds getting a bye is a big deal and I anticipate these teams winning the WS at a higher rate . Just not this year, Padres and the Bill Simmons Ewing Theory are about to go on a heater and bring SD their first major championship..

Is there any way the Pads try to void the Tatis deal or trade him after this? The locals are pissed, my play would be keep him just cause I want to see Jr, Soto, Machado in the same lineup but there is no trust right now between team and player and might be time to sell.

The day we traded for Soto I Took my son out for his 21st birthday and he kept hyping me up on the Padres, Chargers Clippers trifecta to win it. My good friend that played college ball hates AJ Preller and didn't like trading all that talent for a 2.5 year rental. We Shall See
    Last edited by padre33; 08-12-2022 at 09:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by padre33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

Ima check in here next year and Druff will still be whining about the new playoff format. The 1 and 2 seeds getting a bye is a big deal and I anticipate these teams winning the WS at a higher rate . Just not this year, Padres and the Bill Simmons Ewing Theory are about to go on a heater and bring SD their first major championship..

Is there any way the Pads try to void the Tatis deal or trade him after this? The locals are pissed, my play would be keep him just cause I want to see Jr, Soto, Machado in the same lineup but there is no trust right now between team and player and might be time to sell.

The day we traded for Soto I Took my son out for his 21st birthday and he kept hyping me up on the Padres, Chargers Clippers trifecta to win it. My good friend that played college ball hates AJ Preller and didn't like trading all that talent for a 2.5 year rental. We Shall See
    They SHOULD be able to void his contract for something like this. Unfortunately, they can't. The collective bargaining rules don't allow it, which is totally unfair to team owners. The stats they were paying for may not have been real, so it's unfair to stick the Padres on the hook for the remainder. However, here we are.

On the plus side, Tatis was actually very well regarded. Unless he was juicing the whole way, this might just be a Bonds/Clemens situation where an excellent player was doing roids to get an even bigger edge. (Well, to be fair, Bonds and Clemens were more doing it because they were getting up there in years, whereas Tatis is young.)

Non-roids Tatis might be better compared to non-roids Ryan Braun. Braun, who cheated poor Matt Kemp (remember him?) out of an MVP, still had a productive career once he was off the juice. Just not quite as good.

While the Padres have an impressive lineup (even without Tatis), they will continue playing second fiddle to the Dodgers. They don't even have a Mets thing going on, where two monster starters and a monster closer might be able to make up the gap against the Dodgers in the postseason. The Padres are just a worse version of the Dodgers all around, and that showed in the last series.

Dodgers on the way to winning their 12th in a row tonight -- as if they even need it.

This was the exact point in the 2017 season when SI published that obnoxious "BEST TEAM EVER?" cover, and then the Dodgers went into their big slump. To be fair, they would have won the World Series that year if not for the cheating Astros' antics.

Thread Information