Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL MLB 2022 THREAD ****

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Yeah his stuff has looked good thus far. Would be wonderful if he settles into the 8th inning set up man as Clase has been untouchable. Funny, a buddy of mine and I were talking about how intense he still looks and pondering if a calm Karinchak ever emerges, and whether we’d want him to.

Obviously a calm temperament lends itself to high pressure relief pitching, but we aren’t sure a calm Karinchak is even possible or desirable. He seems most insane when he’s really on. It’s his preferable temperament, which seems counter-intuitive with a relief pitcher but we’ll live with it given his stuff.
    My son and Karinchak were room mates at one point. Karinchak is a nice kid but a complete spazz. Might be on the spectrum. He’s never gonna change.

Necessary tool for relief.

Love Tito’s new glasses
    Yeah I figured that was likely from your son but didn’t want to ask. I knew he went to school in New England. Bryant I believe?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

My son and Karinchak were room mates at one point. Karinchak is a nice kid but a complete spazz. Might be on the spectrum. He’s never gonna change.

Necessary tool for relief.

Love Tito’s new glasses
    Yeah I figured that was likely from your son but didn’t want to ask. I knew he went to school in New England. Bryant I believe?
    Chatham A’s

Load Metric
    You’re gonna have some ‘splainin to do @simp

Vlad 3rd out @ 3rd is straight retard baseball

I was so close to Indians team total over 4 and I punked out. Prolly have another 15 runs
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 07-27-2022 at 03:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Imagine being such a hot commodity that you turn down a guaranteed $440 million.

Juan Soto said "no" to the Nationals' offer of 15 years, $440m, which would have put him at age 38 when the contract was over.

Now the Nats might trade him. He is under team control through the end of the 2024 season. He is having a bit of a down year in 2022, batting only .245, but he does have a .401 OBP and 20 HR.

Cardinals and Yankees are most likely destinations. However, this will come at a steep price -- top prospects and young Major Leaguers with a potential bright future. The Dodgers have already locked up big money in Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman, and are expected to lay out a large offer to Trea Turner. They want Soto, but simply might be out of money to spend for a long term contract.

Most teams giving up the prospects to get Soto are likely to want to sign him long term, not just rent him for 2+ years. It is possible the Dodgers are willing to simply take the 2+ years and evaluate an extension later.

There are many who believe that Soto's best years are ahead of him, and note that he is younger than several who just pahticipated in the "Futures" game during All Star Weekend!

Here's the main pieces the Nats would likely be seeking from each team which seems to be interested:

Yankees: Gleyber Torres, Anthony Volpe, Jasson Dominguez

Dodgers: Gavin Lux, Diego Cartaya, Bobby Miller

Mets: Francisco Alvarez, Brett Baty, Ronny Mauricio

Cardinals: Tyler O'Neill, Nolan Gorman, Jordan Walker, Matthew Liberatore

Padres: Mackenzie Gore, Robert Hassell, CJ Abrams

There's also a chance that Soto won't move at all. However, he has turned down their extension offer, and they have the worst record in baseball, so it might be the ideal time to ship him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Almost 100 games in. Here's the way it looks:

Pleasant surprises: Yankees, Orioles, Astros, Mariners, Diamondbacks

Disappointments: White Sox, Red Sox, Angels, Giants, Cubs, Nationals, Reds

The rest are around where they were expected to be. Dodgers (65-32) are projected to win 106 just like last year. They may not due to load management, but this team was expected to be really good. Braves had a pretty bad start but have been hot lately and have caught up to their expected record. NL and AL Central will both be a battle for the king of mediocrity. Marlins (46-52) were expected to ride good pitching to be near .500, and indeed that's where they are.

Angels have been a complete fail, especially considering their 27-15 start. Now there's talk of trading Ohtani, which was unthinkable when the year started.

Yankees were expected to be good, but not this good. Aaron Judge has a lot to do with this.

And amazingly, the Sawks are trailing the Orioles now.

Load Metric
    Dodger trade deadline news that will surprise no one that has followed their fail the last decade plus

The traditional zero.zero trades to bolster bullpen….

or starting rotation for that matter.

I guess Betts, Freeman & (the good) Turner are gonna carry the playoffs.

Craig Kimbrel has gotta be pleased.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-01-2022 at 10:12 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    And amazingly, the Sawks are trailing the Orioles now.
    Because I have the unique gift of being completely objective about the Dodgers I stand in wonder at the Mookie Betts trade. The Red Sox have always OWNED the Dodgers in modern trades but this was the one time Dodgers STOLE

The little Jewish kid, Chiam Bloom, who is the Sawks GM is a fuck up. Sawks are so directionless they prolly punt everything else away.

Dodgers: Betts, Price, cash (all from Red Sox) and Brusdar Graterol, outfielder Luke Raley, 2020 Competitive Round B draft pick

Red Sox: Alex Verdugo, Jeter Downs, Connor Wong (from Dodgers).

Every time I see Verdugo I just shake my head. I do laugh when I see Price in a Dodger uniform but it’s not enough.

Good one Druff.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-01-2022 at 10:18 AM.

Load Metric
    How is it that Gavin Lux made it to the pros having never learned how to throw a baseball?

Life isn’t fair.

Load Metric
    Keep an eye on your wallet that says, “Dodgers”

Mr. Haney (full name: Eustace Charleston Haney) was a Beverly Hillbillies sneaky and notorious conman

Lotta guys that consider themselves sharp are taking Giants. I’m not sharp - just objective. F5

This exercise has proven therapeutic for me and I thank you for indulging in Dodger talk.

I see you Tickle. It’s a Mets holiday. Go ahead and take them RL -148. Technically, it’s wrong price-wise but it’s Scherzer breathing fire. You NEVER have to question Scherzer playing down to an opponent.

Wouldn’t it be amazing if Soto is gone before first pitch?
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-01-2022 at 10:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Soto given standing ovation in DC. Assumed to be a good chance it was his last game.

If he's not in the lineup later today, watch for the headlines.

Load Metric
    My Padres laundering money for the Tijuana cartel theory grows stronger every year after decades of being non-spenders and a cable deal that’s middling. Soto and Bell ffs. That’s going to be a hell of a payroll next year.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Padres: Mackenzie Gore, Robert Hassell, CJ Abrams

Knew those three would be the main pieces if the Padres pulled it off.

As Soto has 2 full seasons under team control, plus the remainder of this one, the Padres could possibly be doing a rent-to-own thing, where they evaluate him for the next 2.4 years, and then decide if they really want to lay out the big money in 2025.

Are they really going to have the money to pay for him, Tatis, and the remainder of Machado's salary? Hard to picture that, especially if they don't want their pitching to be shit. You don't want to be an Angels and have a lineup with a few superstars, yet shit roleplayers and no pitching.

Ohtani didn't move, and I guess the Angels are banking on Trout's career really having a continued trajectory. There's still the possibility that his "rare" back condition might mean he is never going to be consistently healthy, and might join Jacob Degrom in history as outrageously talented players who were cut down by physical ailments.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sanlmar probably laughed at the Dodgers' big move being acquiring Joey Gallo.

Gallo is a poor man's Bellinger. Not as good defensively, presently struggling, and not nearly as good at his peak.

Probably has some use as a late-inning left-handed power bat off the bench, but that's about it.

So yeah... you're down 6-3 in the 9th inning with 2 out, 2 on, and you bring up Gallo. Most of the time he whiffs, occasionally he'll belt the game-tying HR.

There wasn't a tremendous starting pitcher available this year, so I don't mind the Dodgers sitting that one out. Would've been nice if they grabbed some bullpen help, though. The whole bullpen makes me nervous at the moment.

Hell, even take Pedro Baez back out of minor league mothballs (yes, he's in their organization again) and let him have his shot. At least he has streaks where he's unhittable.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The Padres acquired an impact player at the deadline with 20 HR who indeed made a big impact in his first game with them today.

He hit a GRAND SLAM in his first AB.

Wait, you're thinking of Juan Soto? I'm not talking about Juan Soto. His first AB was a walk.

I'm talking about Brandon Drury, who somehow was the Reds' best hitter this year, and hit a slam today in his Padres debut.

This was a GREAT pickup for the Padres. Drury is killing it this year, and they only gave up a middling minor leaguer (Victor Acosta) to acquire him.

When Tatis comes back, the Padres are gonna have one killer lineup, between Machado, Soto, Tatis, Josh Bell (also newly acquired), and Drury. Hosmer got shipped off to Boston, though. They won't catch the Dodgers, but they might be a problem in the postseason. Pitching still questionable, though.

Load Metric
    The Padres acquired an impact player at the deadline with 20 HR who indeed made a big impact in his first game with them today.

He hit a GRAND SLAM in his first AB.

Wait, you're thinking of Juan Soto? I'm not talking about Juan Soto. His first AB was a walk.

I'm talking about Brandon Drury, who somehow was the Reds' best hitter this year, and hit a slam today in his Padres debut.

This was a GREAT pickup for the Padres. Drury is killing it this year, and they only gave up a middling minor leaguer (Victor Acosta) to acquire him.

When Tatis comes back, the Padres are gonna have one killer lineup, between Machado, Soto, Tatis, Josh Bell (also newly acquired), and Drury. Hosmer got shipped off to Boston, though. They won't catch the Dodgers, but they might be a problem in the postseason. Pitching still questionable, though.
    No sooner did you push submit on this post - Craig Kimbrel is loading the bases in a 3-0 game bottom 9.

Pitching is still questionable.

Hey, the Yankees landed Frankie Montas. It’s a question of fortitude. I think there is little question the Yankees will be AL Champions. It is a free for all in the NL.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-03-2022 at 09:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dodgers had Montas briefly, but he never pitched for them. I'm not impressed. Sure, he's had a fairly good year, but take him out of the Oakland pitchers park, and he's probably nothing special. He's exactly the type of guy I could see choking big time in the playoffs.

Honestly there were no pitching greats to be had this deadline.

Load Metric
    It really shows the sad state of MLB economics when only about 7 teams were in on Soto. Imagine Mahomes demanding a trade in the NFL. ~28 teams would submit offers.

Padres got an absolute steal. That package was weak if it was for Soto alone, embarrassingly weak for also getting Bell. If they don't extend Soto then MAYBE its a quasi-fair trade.

No one on the Padres primary starting lineup or starting 5 were homegrown, and all except Machado acquired via trade. That is amazing. Meanwhile, in the same division, you have the Rockies....whose front office are basically deadbeat dads. They'll occasionally give some money to their shitty kids, but otherwise are constantly on vaca in Aspen or something.

Load Metric
    Angels hit 7 solo HRs and lose to Oakland 8-7.

Set Ohtani free. Kid doesn’t deserve this torture.

Comments

Dan Druff: FAIL!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The new-look Padres came into Dodger Stadium, and got stomped on.

The two teams have 11 more games this season (including tonight), but Dodgers have a 13.5 game lead, and the NL West is basically over. Even the Padres concede that they are playing for a wildcard, not to win the West.

Dodgers need to go into player preservation mode, and not try to do anything stupid like win 110 games. Unlike last year, where they were in a harsh battle to win the West (falling short despite winning 106 games), this year there is no such pressure.

This is a great regular season team. Even with a disappointing year out of Muncy, as well as losing Walker Buehler, this is still a great regular season team. It's hard not to be when you have Mookie Betts / Trea Turner / Freddie Freeman, good starting pitching, and good role players.

However, the postseason is a different story. The pitching worries me. Gonsolin is already starting to crack. Tyler Anderson is inconsistent -- he's had 5 great starts in his past 10, and 5 which were mediocre/bad. Kershaw is injured. Buehler likely won't contribute anything meaningful in 2022. So who does that leave? Only Julio Urias looks reliable as a postseason starter at the moment. The bullpen, a strength last year, also looks quite questionable.

It's hard to complain about a team which is 73-33 and 13.5 games ahead. But am I super confident about the postseason? No.

Also, there's the Yankees and Astros, both of whom will be tough opponents if the Dodgers face them in the World Series. If it's the Yankees, I don't see myself going to a game. All of the ex-New-Yorkers out here are gonna drive up the price big time. It's been 41 years since these two teams faced each other in the Fall Classic.

Thread Information