Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    That Cleveland kid Freeman responsible for a 2 run swing
    With glove and basepaths
    Should be 3-0

Bend over

Karinchek warming
    What a fail.

I blame myself. I keep losing super-close ones, as if the universe wants me to lose again after my 10-1 run. That's my third consecutive loss where it was either extra innings or an under losing by 0.5.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    That Cleveland kid Freeman responsible for a 2 run swing
    With glove and basepaths
    Should be 3-0

Bend over

Karinchek warming
    What a fail.

I blame myself. I keep losing super-close ones, as if the universe wants me to lose again after my 10-1 run. That's my third consecutive loss where it was either extra innings or an under losing by 0.5.
    Under worked.

I never saw an edge for either side, personally. Just randomness

Alcantara vs Dustin May. Can’t wait. Dodgers dismembered that fastball throwing righty recently. His Cy Young dream will be over by Sunday.

Load Metric
    Blue Jays celebrate the 30th anniversary of their ‘92 World Series vs the underachieving 90’s Braves today before Ohtani collects another win against them.

Druff must find it hard to believe the Jays have a more recent Championship.

The 90’s Braves were legendary as underachers but their shortcomings don’t hold a candle to the Dodgers.

I had no idea all the controversy that surrounded the Jays and the players from that era. The list of players that are not attending is too long to mention. Prolly cause the Jays are BANNED

Load Metric
    As a staunch defender of AGon with the Dodgers it must hurt you to think the Mets are retiring his number instead.

I’m glad you and I can now share some Dodgers nostalgia together.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    As a staunch defender of AGon with the Dodgers it must hurt you to think the Mets are retiring his number instead.

I’m glad you and I can now share some Dodgers nostalgia together.
    To be fair, 24 was only his number for 2 years. He's been 23 for most of his career, including during his brief Mets stint.

Close one, though.

I wish the Dodgers had retired Steve Garvey's number 6. They considered it for many years, but ultimately didn't, and finally used it again for Ron Coomer, of all people.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    LaRussa out in Chicago... for now. His doctors told him to stop managing for the time being.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ource-confirms

I think this is it. Could be a graceful way for him to bow out without being fired.

Load Metric
    BCR

Terry Francona tells Guardians players to ‘embrace the moment’ in clubhouse meeting
    Updated: Sep. 01, 2022, 6:47 p.m.|Published: Sep. 01, 2022, 5:57 p.m.

Team sleep walks the following game. - dreadful, funny, personally painful.

Completely lifeless.

Knute Rockne he ain’t, apparently

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This last series was a preview of why the Dodgers need to worry about the Mets.

Pitching can win the playoffs. Ask the last Dodgers team which won a full season World Series.

The Mets strength is their pitching. The Dodgers can crush them offensively, but when it comes to dominant pitching, the Mets have it. Degrom is back, and looking as good as he was before. Scherzer is somehow still being Scherzer -- though two of his last 3 starts were mediocre. Chris Bassitt is very solid. The back end of the bullpen, with the underrated Adam Ottavino and unhittable Edwin Diaz -- is very hard to crack in the 8th and 9th.

The result? Three close games where Dodgers lost 2 of 3, and they missed Scherzer. To be fair, these were all in New York. But this isn't going to be easy, if these two teams face each other in the NLCS (they can't face each other in the NLDS, given the way the playoff picture will shape up).

The Dodgers have some pretty good starting pitching themselves -- in Urias, the surprising Gonsolin and Anderson, and now Kershaw who's back. And the Mets lack SP depth beyond those top 3, with Carlos Carrasco and David Peterson being their 4/5 guys, but that doesn't matter much in the playoffs. But the Dodgers don't have any shutdown bullpen guys, and somehow they didn't acquire any at the deadline. At the moment they're subsisting with journeyman middle relief guys, which might end up being their undoing.

Dodgers are currently 90-40, 7 games ahead of the Mets for NL's best record, and 6.5 ahead of Houston for MLB's best.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Speaking of pitching, did you see what Braves rookie Spencer Strider did last night? 8IP 2H 0BB 16Ks. That’s filthy even if against the Rockies.

It’s pretty crazy that the Braves will have the top two ROY guys the year after winning the WS. There farm system is now completely depleted though.

They’ve got some pretty good SP depth though this year; and that doesn’t even include Sanlmars guy Jethro Tull who is back down in AAA. It’s a shame they had such a WS hangover at the beginning of the season as that bed-shitting led to a 10.5 game lead for the Mets and that appears to be a insurmountable deficit. Which sucks because you’re right the Mets are finally for real.

Dodgers, Mets, Braves all could win the NL but having to go thru both on the road like the Braves likely will feels impossible.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Can someone explain how Michael Wacha, who sucked for 6 straight seasons, is suddenly really good again?

Roids?

Load Metric
    Can someone explain how Michael Wacha, who sucked for 6 straight seasons, is suddenly really good again?

Roids?
    He's not. a .232 BABIP can make anyone look good. His ERA estimators are only slightly better than the last few years.

he hasn't changed much with pitch selection or velocity. Literally just batted ball luck. Few more potential home runs caught at the track and etc.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post
    Agree the playoff format is a joke. At least the Dodgers get a bye out of this ridiculousness in the first round.

LOL 12 of 30 teams in baseball making it to the postseason, in a 162-game season full of variance. Brutal.

Here are the teams in contention for the postseason:

Class 1: Excellent teams
    Dodgers
    Yankees
    Astros
    Mets (feels dirty to write this)

Class 2: Good teams
    Braves
    Padres
    Mariners
    Phillies

Class 3: Marginal teams
    Blue Jays
    Rays
    Orioles
    Indians
    Twins
    White Sox
    Cardinals
    Brewers

This means 16 of 30 teams are in realistic contention right now, though this number is a bit inflated due to the mediocrity in both Central divisions, which leaves .500ish teams like the White Sox with a decent shot to win the division.

If the playoffs were based upon today's standings:

Bye in first round: Dodgers, Mets, Yankees, Astros
    Other 2 division winners: Cardinals, Indians
    Wildcards: Mariners, Blue Jays, Rays or Orioles (tied right now), Braves, Phillies, Padres

So of these 12 teams, the worst is the Rays or Orioles, currently both at .527, which projects to 85 wins.

The other 5 wildcards would range between 88 and 95 wins.

An 88-win team winning the World Series isn't terrible, though it is if there are four teams with well over 100 wins, which there very well might be. An 85-win team winning the World Series is a travesty.
    Not sure I’d classify the Braves as a good team instead of excellent. Defending champs, best record in baseball since June 1st, and starting to get healthy at the right time. Plus somehow every young kid they call up seems to excel and immediately be given a team friendly long-term extension.
    Bump. Braves now have 3rd best record in baseball and tied with Mets although have a +41 run differential compared to Mets. Pretty clear I was right about them being a tier one team. Mets still rightly favored to win the division as their remaining schedule is easier but then again they’ve lost the last three games to the Nats and Pirates by a combined score of 22-4 so not sure they should still be favored. In any event San’s Braves division bet is very live.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Playoff system = joke

Remember last year, when the 106-win Dodgers had to face the Cardinals in a 1-game playoff, then face the 107-win Giants in the NLDS?

This year the Dodgers are almost sure to face either the Mets or Braves in the NLDS (whichever doesn't win the East), unless that team fails to advance in the wildcard series. The winner of the NL East will face the Cardinals or the #3 wildcard. WTF!!!

They really should seed the LDS based upon overall record, and not division titles.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Playoff system = joke

Remember last year, when the 106-win Dodgers had to face the Cardinals in a 1-game playoff, then face the 107-win Giants in the NLDS?

This year the Dodgers are almost sure to face either the Mets or Braves in the NLDS (whichever doesn't win the East), unless that team fails to advance in the wildcard series. The winner of the NL East will face the Cardinals or the #3 wildcard. WTF!!!

They really should seed the LDS based upon overall record, and not division titles.
    You raise some good points but you also have to consider the winner of the NL East will have just gone through an exhausting end of season race just like the Dodgers and Giants did last season, and furthermore whichever team the Dodgers face will have burned their best pitchers in the WC round while the Dodgers will be able to set their rotation however they choose.

Also Scherzer to IL today so the hits keep on coming for the Mets (although it doesn’t sound too serious)

Comments

Sanlmar: Beat me to it

Load Metric
    Playoff system = joke

Your objection is rubbish but I understand the playoff scars that you wear. You are frightened and you should be.

Remember last year when the wildcard matchup was single game elimination? This year it’s a 3 game series. That’s a heavy handicap for either the Mets or Braves. This of course follows both teams blowing their brains out trying to take the NL East crown.

The NL East regular season race and the NLDS is all that matters in this sport. The rest of the playoffs is kind of a pass. The World Series will be anti-climatic.

Yankees / Blue Jays would be a peculiar kind of fun. The Blue Jays in the playoffs is a perversion but such is baseball under new format.

Comments

Sheesfaced: Per usual San said it better than I

Load Metric
    The Dodgers are like the Harlem Globetrotters or The King and His Court (softball). Barnstorming across America putting on an exhibition in small towns nightly.

I think the King and his Court played with 4 men. (Dodgers play with 3). Eddie Feigner could trick pitch the ball at 100+ mph from 45ft. I have a vague memory of seeing them when I was little on Long Island NY.

Neither the King or the Globetrotters could ever win serious playoff competition. Different game. Fun tho.

Load Metric
    Players are repeatedly losing pop ups in the smoke in Seattle (Braves)

They just showed downtown Seattle during a break. Incredible.

New England had some haze this weekend from the west coast. Just the wrong jet stream. Really something
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 09-10-2022 at 06:50 PM.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Players are repeatedly losing pop ups in the smoke in Seattle (Braves)

They just showed downtown Seattle during a break. Incredible.

New England had some haze this weekend from the west coast. Just the wrong jet stream. Really something
    Could Albert have been in the best ever conversation had he never left the Cards? His Angels time was not what it could have been contending every year in the NL Central playing in stadiums like home, Wrigley, Cincy.. This late run is amazing for his age and happy he is passing that dork ARod

Load Metric
    The Dodgers are like the Harlem Globetrotters or The King and His Court (softball). Barnstorming across America putting on an exhibition in small towns nightly.

I think the King and his Court played with 4 men. (Dodgers play with 3). Eddie Feigner could trick pitch the ball at 100+ mph from 45ft. I have a vague memory of seeing them when I was little on Long Island NY.

Neither the King or the Globetrotters could ever win serious playoff competition. Different game. Fun tho.

Just when I think you run out of ways to mock Druffs Dodgers, you pull out those gems. Fast Eddie pitching at county fairs to amuse children. That gave me an actual chuckle reducing them to traveling novelty acts

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Just when I think you run out of ways to mock Druffs Dodgers, you pull out those gems. Fast Eddie pitching at county fairs to amuse children. That gave me an actual chuckle reducing them to traveling novelty acts

That top 3 they have are a problem for my Padres. To think we had a young Trea Turner makes me want to cry a little. They get cracked in the new and improved playoffs even with their advantage of a 1st round bye. Kershaw and Urias are goingg down this year.

Thread Information