Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL MLB 2022 THREAD ****

Load Metric
    Kimbrel might stink but Evan Phillips has been LIGHTS OUT

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalizeMeth View Post
    If the playoffs started now, Kimbrel legitimately shouldn't even be on the roster.

But he's the "closer".....

Maybe his postseason "experience" of....basically being the same pitcher he has been this year makes the difference. Veteran grit and all that
    Last edited by gut; 08-23-2022 at 04:06 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalizeMeth View Post
    Dr Phil

Kimbrel tonight. Want me to nudge you or call you?

Load Metric
    Roberts is in a pretty tough spot. Does he go with his closer who has been brutal, or an unproven in the post season journeyman with what could very easily be just a fluky few months? peripherals are all pretty unimpressive according to the pundits (although when I watch Phillips I see him blowing guys away with 97 mph cheese on the corners but wtf do I know)

Load Metric
    Feel bad for Druff. This is the Dodgers for the rest of 2022 and all of 2023 likely

Name:  47CFBDB4-6B23-4593-A406-2B1DEC1BAF04.gif
Views: 132
Size:  739.0 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Honestly it’s the only thing MLB has done right in twenty years. Kind of did their best to keep the haves and have nots aligned. I mean Chicago has almost $200m payroll, but are inept.

I feel bad for the Arizona and Colorado’s and Baltimore’s of the world trying to compete in that arms race. They’re lucky to be in a race once a decade.

Cleveland has $64 million payroll. As well as they’re ran, it’s hard to compete with the coastal teams with billion dollar cable deals. I’d grow disinterested by July most years and focused on the wild card if anything.
    If everyone gets in the playoffs what’s the point of the regular season?

You wanna fix parity create a hard salary cap. This new playoff structure is not the solution and I really don’t think it was meant to be.

Having said that, salaries generally are directed at run production. We know the playoffs are about pitching. Playoff successes like Nationals and Braves should give the Guardians hope.

This regular season has been one of the most boring in memory. Can’t wait for playoffs

Tonight’s Brewers Dodgers is a rare interesting series. Burnes Gonsolin is worthy of your time. Playoff caliber. Good bullpens. Neither team is going for broke over this matchup - regular season is never playoffs.

I do give the Dodgers credit for showing up every night when they positively don’t need to win another game. For that charity I tip my cap.

Regular season is idiotic.
    - Barry Goldstein

Barry picture shocked me. Has Isildur gone gray too?

Did the heads up match between Isildur & Hastings mark the nigh water mark in poker. I have a distinct memory of driving in my car and hearing reports from CBS radio or something similarly mainstream talking about the nosebleed games in 2009. God I feel old. None of these guys look remotely similar to HSP days now.
    6 teams of each league is hardly everybody getting in, and the top teams still get an advantage, as it stands now. Football is 7 in each conf and now only one gets an advantage with the best record with a bye. NHL let’s in 8 of 15 in each conference but the funnier shit is the NBA is now doing the playin thus 10 teams get a shot when in reality of the four major sports it’s usually the one with the lowest odds of anything beyond 2-4 teams with a legit shot to win the title come playoff time.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Right now Cleveland is on pace to win the division with an 86-76 record. Shameful.

ESPN somehow projects the Orioles have a 4% chance of making the playoffs. What?! They're 2.5 out of the last spot, and they're the 4th best wildcard team at the moment in the AL.

I really wish I could bet against these ESPN projections at their odds.
    Honestly it’s the only thing MLB has done right in twenty years. Kind of did their best to keep the haves and have nots aligned. I mean Chicago has almost $200m payroll, but are inept.

I feel bad for the Arizona and Colorado’s and Baltimore’s of the world trying to compete in that arms race. They’re lucky to be in a race once a decade.

Cleveland has $64 million payroll. As well as they’re ran, it’s hard to compete with the coastal teams with billion dollar cable deals. I’d grow disinterested by July most years and focused on the wild card if anything.
    As a lifer orioles fan it’s been a surprise especially after they traded away a couple of their best players but the real heart warming thing is watching the Yankees implode at a record pace.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    There is no true hard cap in any of the big 4. NBA at least openly is a soft cap. NFL hard cap is a joke. Look at the Saints for the clearest example of that for the last decade. Converting salary to bonus, voidable contract years, etc. No one ever gets cut STRICTLY FOR salary cap purposes.

NHL is the closest, after fixing those absurd 15 year contracts amd shit, but as we've recently seen from Tampa, you can LTIR finagle the cap a bit.

What MLB needs more is a salary FLOOR. Nutting in Pittsburgh wants to keep payroll at 30m? Sorry buddy, time to sell, gotta spend 80. Or whatever the number would be.

I have no problem with soft caps.
    Don’t forget also the NFL has had only two fully guaranteed contracts I’m aware of. One for Cousins in MN and the monstrosity in Cleveland that Watson just signed. The contracts in the NFL have always been a joke. Guys sign those contracts and get thrown away like so much trash the moment they get hurt with a shitty injury settlement in the end and that’s the majority of most players. Guys who’s names we really never know or hear of.

Load Metric
    @BCR

You are spot on with Cleveland. So sad you went on to fouled the water with CWS. I understand Cease but the Orioles are chosen by god.

We move on.

Load Metric
    @BCR

You are spot on with Cleveland. So sad you went on to fouled the water with CWS. I understand Cease but the Orioles are chosen by god.

We move on.
    That ChiSox bet was just a bad bet. They outhit them 2/1 and could have won, but that number was too high by the time I got down. I also had missed they squeezed in makeup against KC after the rainout against us. We were off yesterday and assumed they were also as I knew they didn’t play Balt.

I won’t touch them again this year. My thought was Cease had a few extra days rest as he approaches career high in innings and thought whole team had three days off. I noticed after I had bet it that they lost yesterday and had buyers remorse before it even started. They’re just bad at baseball. $200 million .500 team.

Thankfully the Padres are anemic atm and kept me a small loser on the day. What a difference a month makes with Padres. They looked like a real team after trades. Then Tatis, Soto has been poor and back now bad, and they’ll be lucky to even make it in. Can’t hit or field atm.

Your Braves to catch Mets bet looks strong. I remember this article when we traded Lindor to Mets that graded it an A trade for them and D for us. Said they fleeced us. What a pleasant surprise Giminez has been. Lindor hasn’t had a bad year at all, but Andres hitting .310 with a better slugging % than Francisco and Rosario up around .290 all year isn’t leaving me feeling all that fleeced. Particularly considering Lindor makes 34 million to Andres $705k. I giggle at this article now. Mr Tickle told me it wasn’t nearly that bad. Our Euro in Moscow at the time knows Mets baseball a lot better than this writer.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/f...,traded%20this

Load Metric
    I don’t like to mess with the serious business thread, so I took my Cleveland talk here.

America is gripped by Guardians fever so I guess we will touch on this.

Padres (Snell 3.76) -161 v Guardians (Quantrill 3.77) +148

Peripherals have Snell .75 better and Quant .75 worse - so a decent advantage to Snell. If Guardian can stay close to fail Padres offense the superb Guardians bullpen can take over

Guardians is my lean.

Very nice on the Tigers game. I got stuck on the phone and didn’t get across the line to bet it.

I didn’t know what to do with this game. I felt like my bet is hedging against itself with a slightly better chance to scoop both sides than lose both sides. Quantrilll has had one bad inning in last 4 starts. The Tribe generally doesn’t hit lefties well. I think it will be a 3-1 type game. I’m leaving for a concert in Chautauqua, Ny and wanted a sweat to listen to on the drive or I probably lay off it altogether. I took the under down another .5 just to get them both in the + as I think split is most likely outcome. Good luck to all.

I went

Single @
    +116
    Open
    Aug 24 • 2022
    Ticket ID: 49008
    Total Runs: Under 7
    CLE Guardians @ SD Padres

Single @
    +145
    Open
    Aug 24 • 2022
    Ticket ID: 4900
    Moneyline: CLE Guardians
    CLE Guardians @ SD Padres

Parlay (2 Picks)0 of 2 settled
    Aug 24 • 2022
    Ticket ID: 49008
    Moneyline: LA Dodgers @ -240
    MIL Brewers @ LA Dodgers
    Moneyline: STL Cardinals @ -220
    STL Cardinals @ CHI Cubs
    Odds: +111

Comments

Sanlmar: Chautauqua Tent. They call them concerts now?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    There's going to be a "balanced schedule" in 2023.

For the first time ever, each team will play all 29 other teams during the regular season.

They are changing divisional games from 47% of the schedule to just 32% of the schedule. Here's how the 162 games break down:

13 games against 4 division opponents (52 total)
    6-7 games against the 10 non-divisional opponents in the same league (64 total)
    4 games (two home, two road) against the lone "natural interleague rival", such as Dodgers vs. Angels or Mets vs. Yankees. (4 total)
    A single 3-game series against each of the 14 other interleague teams. (42 total)

I feel fine about this. Once we went interleague in the '90s, it was stupid to keep the schedule so restrictive. It becomes much more interesting to see a wider variety of teams, rather than almost half the games against the same four. This is especially true when multiple divisional opponents are terrible and way out of the race, or when one team is running away with the division (think the NL and AL West this year).

It also provides a fairer situation when evaluating overall team records, which is needed to be done in order to establish the "bye" in the first round of the playoffs. Presently, it's unfair for one team to fatten up on wins against a bad division, and then be evaluated against a team in a tough division to order to establish a bye. Here this will become less of a factor.

I'm often against changes to the game made by MLB (the runner on second in extras remains an abomination), but this is a good change.

Load Metric
    @BCR

I’ll indulge you

You know it’s weird meeting you over here but it’s been a nice Guardian run. Wish you would stop messing around with the parlays but everyone has their vices.

Mariners are no offensive juggernaut. They struggle. Nice pitching. Nice bullpen. Good team. Scan back past few games. Not gonna score a ton.

Let’s take the under

Cleveland Guardians/Seattle Mariners under 7½ -113 for Game

Don’t wanna take a side.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Trying to guess who would be each team's "natural interleague rival". Some are obvious, but some would not be. I haven't attempted to look this up. I'll go by division in the NL, and list each guessed rival.

Dodgers/Angels
    Giants/A's
    Padres/???
    Rockies/???
    Diamondbacks/???

Cardinals/Royals
    Cubs/White Sox
    Reds/Indians
    Brewers/Twins
    Pirates/Tigers

Mets/Yankees
    Marlins/Rays
    Nationals/Orioles
    Braves/???
    Phillies/???

So on the AL side, we have unmatched the Red Sox, Blue Jays, Rangers, Astros, and Mariners.

I can't really see those 5 teams connected with the unmatched teams above in any kind of "rivalry".

Load Metric
    @BCR

I’ll indulge you

You know it’s weird meeting you over here but it’s been a nice Guardian run. Wish you would stop messing around with the parlays but everyone has their vices.

Mariners are no offensive juggernaut. They struggle. Nice pitching. Nice bullpen. Good team. Scan back past few games. Not gonna score a ton.

Let’s take the under

Don’t wanna take a side.

Name:  6DF485D6-0962-4A3A-8895-26EDB432BBF0.gif
Views: 129
Size:  2.00 MB

I tore up my ticket after the 1st
    Name:  771E0734-C2A2-463D-BA5E-6F15FD937AC4.jpeg
Views: 98
Size:  113.1 KB
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-25-2022 at 03:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yesterday, you could have gotten served hamburgers by Tony Gonsolin, Alex Vesia, and Evan Phillips.

https://ktla.com/sports/dodgers-pitc...ck-in-the-box/

This was actually on a game day! From 11am-12pm, the three players were serving burgers and manning the drive through at a Jack in the Box in West Hollywood.

Imagine Gonsolin wins the Cy Young and you can say that just a few months prior, he served you a burger at a drive through.

Comments

Sanlmar: It’s a likable group of guys. There, I said it. I won’t repeat it

gut: Dr. Phil burger

Load Metric

Question

@BCR

I’ll indulge you

Let’s take the under

Don’t wanna take a side.

Name:  6DF485D6-0962-4A3A-8895-26EDB432BBF0.gif
Views: 129
Size:  2.00 MB

I tore up my ticket after the 1st
    Name:  771E0734-C2A2-463D-BA5E-6F15FD937AC4.jpeg
Views: 98
Size:  113.1 KB
    Nice hit. Tribe hasn’t given up more than 4 runs in 20+ games outside two spot starts where they brought up minor leaguers. It’s why anytime they’re underdogs and I can get a + on both game and under, I take both and view the game almost as a freeroll. They’re just very likely to win it in the event it goes over and you might scoop both.

I didn’t touch yesterday. Within 90 minutes after I posted the other day, I jumped in my car for few hour drive. Turned off my air about 15 minutes into drive because I was cold. I’m never cold. 15 minutes later I had chills.

I just turned around as I knew I was sick. Hour after I got home I was shaking so badly I was worried about chipping a tooth. Everything. Whole body shaking Was at 102.8-103.2 all night. Thought the Covid got me for sure this time, but my home test says no. Was still 100.4 in morning. Fine today outside head cold. So abrupt. I’ve only had chills like that once in my life. Slept all day yesterday. First virus I’ve had like that in a decade. I wouldn’t have bet Tristan anyway.

Have this tonight.

Single @
    +235
    Open
    Aug 26 • 2022
    Ticket ID: 49056
    Total RBIs by the Player - Including Extra Innings (Listed player must be in starting lineup for bets to stand): Gimenez, Andres - Over 0.5
    CLE Guardians @ SEA Mariners

Single @
    Open
    Aug 26 • 2022
    Ticket ID: 490562
    Moneyline: CLE Guardians
    CLE Guardians @ SEA Mariners

The math on Giminez I’m sure isn’t there, just a gut play when they move him up against righties. Best risp and 2 outs with risp hitter. Just doesn’t get as many opportunities as he’s had to migrate up lineup over course of year. Obviously I bet those at 30% of game total.

I’ve had the rare winning year this year sticking to Guardians and Dodgers -1.5. Dodgers have gotten so hot those are now —150 when they’re at home and I can’t do that. Should have as they’re going to have a run differential like the 1920s era Yankees teams. I keep sticking some other favorite with them in a parlay and the other team loses while they win by 7.
    Last edited by BCR; 08-26-2022 at 12:10 PM.

Load Metric

Cleveland Seattle under 7 -127
    You know why. We will try for another but the secret is now out.
    Indians were -110 to win division last Monday. Now -190. We had fun being on the inside
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-26-2022 at 03:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    While I prefer that the wagering stuff goes in the wagering thread, I won't interfere. Already learned the hard way with the Elon Musk thread.

With that said, I am on Cleveland moneyline as well.

Comments

BCR: No problem. I’ll move the actual bets back. Until this week, mostly just talking baseball. I didn’t want to clutter it. I’ll move the wager part there.

Sanlmar: Your mercy shall be rewarded

Load Metric
    That Cleveland kid Freeman responsible for a 2 run swing
    With glove and basepaths
    Should be 3-0

Bend over

Karinchek warming

Thread Information