Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL MLB 2022 THREAD ****

Load Metric

*** OFFICIAL MLB 2022 THREAD ****

Dodgers gonna carry the highest paid pitcher, Bauer, for one more year? Amazing fail.

Speaking of forecasts. I forecast Christmas resolution to the Bauer drama last spring and I might as well admit now I was wrong. Not as wrong as Druff mind you.

What are we talking 2022 payroll? $325m? Who’s counting at this point?

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Dodgers gonna carry the highest paid pitcher, Bauer, for one more year? Amazing fail.

Speaking of forecasts. I forecast Christmas resolution to the Bauer drama last spring and I might as well admit now I was wrong. Not as wrong as Druff mind you.

What are we talking 2022 payroll? $325m? Who’s counting at this point?

Its not like they have a choice at this point. They could maybe trade him away and pay 90% of his salary.

Load Metric
    Holy shit. Every other owner must hate the Mets now. Scherzer 3/130. Previous highest AAV was Cole's 36m. This ups it by 7.3. Huge win for all star pitchers.

(Also, being the Mets, I'm awaiting the inevitable "Scherzer experiencing forearm tightness" come April)

Load Metric
    Mets being Mets.

Somewhat surprised Scherzer signed there tbh. I guess it's about the $$$, but at his age you would think he would have took 5 million less to sign with a playoff team that was willing to rest him during the year so he's ready to max it out late regular season and postseason.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Mets being Mets.

Somewhat surprised Scherzer signed there tbh. I guess it's about the $$$, but at his age you would think he would have took 5 million less to sign with a playoff team that was willing to rest him during the year so he's ready to max it out late regular season and postseason.
    He might not have to blow his arm out carrying a fail staff like the Dodgers

Frees up $ for Kershaw.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Mets being Mets.

Frees up $ for Kershaw.
    and Seager
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

Frees up $ for Kershaw.
    and Seager
    Not anymore! 10/325 from Texas lolol.

Some irony here watching teams spend like drunken sailors right before they lock out the players.

I think the Dodgers would be better off bringing back Taylor at what he is worth vs Seager anyway.

Comments

Sanlmar: Truer words

Load Metric
    The Rangers will now be paying their new starting middle infield $57.5 mil a year.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dodgers weren't the only NL West team which lost an ace. Gausman went to Toronto.

While the Dodgers are going to be worse off in 2022 without Scherzer and Seager, long term they're probably fortunate not to have signed them.

Seager missed most of 2018 and half of 2021 with injuries. That's not what you want out of a guy you're giving 10 years at age 28 (which he'll be a few weeks into the 2022 season).

And Max, as age-defying as he was during the regular season, showed in his final few starts and the postseason that he really was 37. Sure, you could rest him during the year and hope he will be better in the playoffs, but that's a lot of money for three years to a guy who will start off being 38.

The Seager deal might slam the door on signing Kershaw, who was talking with the Rangers last week. Kershaw is from Dallas and kinda wants to go back there. He seemed fairly convinced at the end of the season that he wasn't coming back to LA. I don't think he'll be the same pitcher going forward. I think there's too much mileage on his body (remember, he's been pitching in MLB since '08), and too many injuries.

Might be rough going for the Dodgers rotation this year, unless they pick some people up. They've got Buehler, Urias, and... ummmm.... Gonsolin, I guess. Dustin May might join in the middle of the season, fresh off TJ surgery.

Will be intersting to see if they end up signing Chris Taylor, or if he also leaves for a deal which is way too expensive.

And then there's the matter of Cody Bellinger...

Load Metric
    Not sure if any non-Twins fan followed this, but Buxton signed an extension that is quite unique for a position player. After a few years in the bigs to figure out his hitting, he blossomed into a legit MVP type player when healthy, which has been....infrequent. Basically a centerfielder with pitcher type injury concerns. So...do a contract like a pitcher with injury history, but translate it to a position player.

I'm happy with this, if for no other reason other than he has been my favorite player to watch in the past few seasons. An NBA type player who somehow stuck with baseball.

If he hits all 5 PA bonuses, he's most likely still being underpaid. If he gets in top 10 of MVP voting, obviously that bonus is worth it for the team. Clever deal for both sides.
    Last edited by gut; 11-29-2021 at 05:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Hopefully this is the start of a trend where contracts are more incentive-loaded. Union would probably balk at that, but it's really the only way salaries are sustainable once the TV money dries up.

The large contracts for players who end up failing really are a huge burden on teams, and the entire MLB economy.

It would also fix the situation where teams are increasingly afraid to sign over-30 players to big contracts.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Jays trying to become the new Giants?

https://twitter.com/theScore/status/1465674605276844034

I have a strong feeling Taylor isn't returning to the Dodgers. I think the Dodgers are probably scared to sign him because he was unbelievably bad during the final months of 2021, but somehow came alive during the postseason. Hard to give big money to someone so prone to slumping badly. He does hit well in the postseason, though, so his bat will be missed there -- much like the Dodgers really missed Kike Hernandez and Joc Pederson in their postseason lineup this year.

Load Metric
    Blue Jays window is wide open right now for a run at some Championships. They built it up with prospects, now it's show time.

Guerrero, Bichette,Gurriel, Manoah, Biggio (although I'm guessing he'll be gone at some point) and some more guys all making very little $.

Losing Semien hurts but really Springer didn't play the whole year so I see him replacing his production.

Load Metric
    Druff’s in luck.

Maybe there will be another 60 game season next year and the Dodgers might win their second retard ring in 35 years

Could happen.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Dodgers really missed Kike Hernandez and Joc Pederson in their postseason lineup this year.

You gotta admit Joc Pederson playing out of his mind in the playoffs and then collecting a World Series ring is ironic and funny in a painful sort of way.

The pearls and the heroics

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Rumors are floating that Freddie Freeman might come to the Dodgers. That would be excellent.

What isn't excellent is the report that Muncy actually has a torn UCL, and might miss all of 2022.

Marcus Stroman also in the mix to sign with LA.

Load Metric
    The one thing nobodies talking about. The fact everything shuts down in a few hours when the CBA expires and an unofficial lockout will begin. The assumption has been all these deals were done because nothing can or will get done now once midnight strikes in NYC and that it could be a long cold winter coming for MLB. Honestly this is gonna suck for the AZ economy if this shit lingers into February as Cactus League brings in a shit ton of money in late Feb through March. It would be easier if this was a year later as the SB money will be injected into the economy on Feb 2023.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Chris Taylor likely coming back to LA, after all:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...al-sources-say

If they can sign Freeman, they will have a great lineup, even without Seager and Muncy:

SS Trea Turner
    RF Mookie Betts
    1B Freddie Freeman
    3B Justin Turner
    C Will Smith
    LF AJ Pollock
    2B Chris Taylor
    CF Cody Bellinger

Load Metric
    Nobody going anywhere now.

Lock out

Load Metric
    Honestly just hilarious that out of all owners, Monfort is leading the talks. The Rockies are a directionless wasteland of a team.

I'm sure this will all get settled soon.
    Last edited by gut; 12-02-2021 at 09:04 AM.

Thread Information