Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL MLB 2022 THREAD ****

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Angels have fired Joe Maddon.

They were 24-13 after their first 37 games. Today they are 27-29, and are enduring a brutal 12-game losing streak. Maybe they should give Mike Scioscia a call. I hear he's available.

The Angels just can't ever have nice things.... except in 2002. I don't have much sympathy because I hate their stealing of the Los Angeles name when they are an Orange County team and have never attempted to actually connect with LA. They're LA in name only. They really should go back to being the Anaheim Angels.

Load Metric
    In many ways Joe Maddon was one of the founding fathers of the analytics movement. I may be wrong (doubt it) but I think he started the shift in Tampa Bay, for instance.

You're unable to just go to the ballpark and have some fun and play baseball. It's too much controlled by front offices these days.
    Has baseball gone too far when Joe Maddon strikes out against analytics? Probably.

This may possibly unlock some answer to the Dodger problem, as well, Druff. Give it some thought. Get back to me

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Down 7-5, with a runner on 2nd, Tony LaRussa walked Trea Turner with a 1-2 count, to face the struggling and just-off-injury Max Muncy.

Muncy hit a 3-run HR.

One of the dumbest intentional walks of all time.

Muncy also taunted the White Sox dugout with profanities as he came around to home, feeling it was "disrespectful" to walk someone with 2 strikes to get to him.

Here's a good writeup: https://dodgersway.com/2022/06/09/do...-return-video/

Load Metric
    Name:  88593EF8-6851-45C0-9D1D-EC081A3BD3B4.jpeg
Views: 219
Size:  142.5 KB

The Athletic

SAN FRANCISCO — Walker Buehler’s been looking for the right feel and look for more than a month at this point. He ditched a part of his windup for a start, only to bring it back the next. He’s oscillated between the tight and baggy fit of his pants, even. He’s been the only Dodgers starter brave enough to don their garish City Connect uniforms on the two occasions they’ve actually worn the all-blue garments this summer.

None of it has worked. He and the Dodgers have been in uncharted territory with their presumptive ace, their manager said before Friday night’s contest. His calling cards — his fastball and his ability to consistently pitch deep into games — have eluded him. And now an elbow that silently barked, off and on, felt a twinge on a breaking ball in the third inning Friday night at Oracle Park, only further tumbling things into flux.

The 27-year-old right-hander appeared to be settling in during the Dodgers’ 7-2 loss to the Giants, feeling as in-tune with his stuff, command and delivery as he had in nearly a month. But snapping off a breaking ball while striking out the side in the third left a “zing” in a familiar spot that already bears a Tommy John scar. He alerted the Dodgers’ staff of the pain, which he said he’d felt on and off through the years following his post-draft surgery, but felt it would eventually dissipate.

“I tried to pitch through, see if it would pop away,” Buehler said. “Sometimes that will happen. It didn’t happen for me tonight.”

The Dodgers labeled Buehler’s ailment as right elbow discomfort, throwing a potential major blow to the club’s pitching plans in mid-June. He will undergo an MRI on Saturday morning, he said.

This pain didn’t build. It just didn’t go away, growing more specific and raising alarm bells in a way the radar gun didn’t.

The stuff was there. His fastball at times popped. He located some well. He got some swings and misses, at one point striking out five batters in a row. Then he went to the well again in the fourth for a slider that just backed up and right onto Darin Ruf’s barrel for a solo homer, the third charged run of the night bringing his ERA above four. The gnawing discomfort was persistent even as the frustration at home-plate umpire Chris Conroy’s strike zone bubbled and brought pitching coach Mark Prior out for a visit to tame him.

“Frustrating is a good start for describing tonight for Walker,” manager Dave Roberts said.

Buehler’s last pitch of that eventful fourth, a fastball, left his hand at 94.8 mph and was scalded right to a well-positioned Mookie Betts in right field. It would be Buehler’s last pitch of the night, an alarming finish to an uneven performance after just 70 pitches.

The Dodgers have urged patience with Buehler as he’s worked through his woes for the last month. They had reason to — surprise performances from the likes of Tony Gonsolin and Tyler Anderson gave them ample room. But a temporary salve is not a long-term solution, particularly if Buehler has to miss extended time.

“I’m trying not to get too out ahead of myself,” Roberts said. “But anytime when you’re talking about the elbow, you’re talking about a guy like Walker who can’t finish his start because of discomfort, it’s certainly concerning.”

The right-hander has been transparent about the tenuous relationship between pitching and elbows. The damaged ligament he pitched through as he completed his collegiate career at Vanderbilt is what allowed the Dodgers to select him in the back end of the first round and find a future ace in the process. His 6-foot-2, 185-pound frame whips toward the plate to generate the supreme velocity he was able to hold deep into Friday’s start, forcing him to ensure his mechanics are neatly manicured over much of his big league tenure as he’s tweaked the dials of his six-pitch mix.

It’s made him a devastating weapon for the Dodgers up until the struggles of the last month. It made those struggles all the more perplexing.

“It wouldn’t surprise me that that’s some reason for the inconsistencies this year,” Roberts said of Buehler’s ailing elbow. “He’ll never say that.”

Buehler wouldn’t cede that point Friday night. “I’m not a person that’s going to blame that,” he said. “I didn’t throw the ball great.

“I think before we dive into it at all, I’d like to know what I’m actually doing with my elbow and my career.”

The state of that elbow has immediate concerns, too. This is a rotation that was less than 24 hours away from Clayton Kershaw returning to a big-league mound. Andrew Heaney might need just one more rehab start before the Dodgers could see how much of that two-start magic stuck. And a rotation taxed by injury and usage was ready for a breather after an arduous stretch.

Moreover, Buehler’s presence in the Dodgers’ rotation swings the club’s margin in October. He is the centerpiece of the staff, with a proven postseason track record to boot. And for an organization whose success is largely weighed and measured off a stretch of a few weeks in the fall, the need for a frontline starter of Buehler’s pedigree is imperative.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Angels have fired Joe Maddon.

They were 24-13 after their first 37 games. Today they are 27-29, and are enduring a brutal 12-game losing streak. Maybe they should give Mike Scioscia a call. I hear he's available.

The Angels just can't ever have nice things.... except in 2002. I don't have much sympathy because I hate their stealing of the Los Angeles name when they are an Orange County team and have never attempted to actually connect with LA. They're LA in name only. They really should go back to being the Anaheim Angels.
    I never understood why they changed the name from the California Angels. It was fine. My grandpa retired in Orange County. He was a die hard Dodgers fan. If they were playing, the radio was on. Never once did he suggest going to an Angels’ game, and I never asked.

Load Metric
    Buehler will be shut down from throwing for 6-8 weeks, Roberts told Jack Harris and other reporters, as the MRI revealed a flexor strain. While Buehler will have to rebuild his arm strength almost from scratch afterwards, Roberts does believe the righty will be able to pitch again in 2022.
    LOLLLLLLZ

Dodgers analytics looking short-term only. Prolonging Buehlers next TJ in the hopes his elbow magically heals itself.

See ya in 2024 Walker.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Buehler will be shut down from throwing for 6-8 weeks, Roberts told Jack Harris and other reporters, as the MRI revealed a flexor strain. While Buehler will have to rebuild his arm strength almost from scratch afterwards, Roberts does believe the righty will be able to pitch again in 2022.
    LOLLLLLLZ

Dodgers analytics looking short-term only. Prolonging Buehlers next TJ in the hopes his elbow magically heals itself.

See ya in 2024 Walker.
    Big blow to both my fantasy team and my Dodgers fandom, though honestly he was pitching poorly anyway and wasn't helping much.

Dodgers in big trouble with starting pitching. Buehler out, Kershaw's durability highly questionable. That leaves Urias, Gonsolin, and Anderson, maybe lol Heaney at some point. Not inspiring for the postseason. Now it looks pretty obvious they'll pick up a major starter before the deadline.

Load Metric
    Former Los Angeles Dodgers player Steve Sax has issued a statement saying that his 33-year-old son who had always dreamed of being a pilot was among five U.S. Marines killed during a training flight crash earlier this week in the California desert.
    Bad time to get the yips, when flying a chopper.

Load Metric

LOLLLLLLZ

See ya in 2024 Walker.
    Big blow to both my fantasy team and my Dodgers fandom, though honestly he was pitching poorly anyway and wasn't helping much.

Dodgers in big trouble with starting pitching. Buehler out, Kershaw's durability highly questionable. That leaves Urias, Gonsolin, and Anderson, maybe lol Heaney at some point. Not inspiring for the postseason. Now it looks pretty obvious they'll pick up a major starter before the deadline.
    Not looking like many "major" starters will be available, tbh. Expanded playoff field is part of the reason, but also just look at the obvious sellers. No Scherzer like stud is out there.

Montas and Castillo seem to be the only 2 who COULD be available that would be a definite playoff starter for the Dodgers. Could argue Mahle but the results aren't there this season.

Then youre down to the corpses of Hendricks and Quintana and etc.

Comments

Sanlmar: Expanded playoffs

Load Metric
    Kimbrel

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Mookie out with a cracked rib. I had 3 broken ribs in 2014, and it took me 11 (!!) weeks to get better. However, Mookie only has one affected rib, and it's cracked, not broken. He's also about 13 years younger than I was when I had my injury. Still, this looks like 4 weeks on the DL, I'm guessing, maybe even 6.

Walker Buehler, of course, is out until at least September, and maybe until 2023. He never looked right this year.

Kimbrel is becoming the failpitcher some feared he would become.

Max Muncy claims he feels a lot better than before, thanks to his time on the DL. No matter. He's hitting .167 since returning.

Justin Turner is hitting .209 with 4 HR, and his OPS is barely over .600. He's 38 1/2, and it's finally showing.

Dodgers somehow still in first place, thanks to the unexpected heroics of Tony Gonsolin and Tyler Anderson, as well as the solid production from stars Trea Turner and Freddie Freeman (and also Betts during that one super hot streak). It should be noted, however, that Freddie's power hasn't been there. He only has 6 HR thus far. Maybe the dead ball is doing it, but he has held up a .291 average.

This team will make the playoffs, but I can easily see them losing the division to San Diego.

Willie's Cardinals are having a nice time in a fail division featuring 3 failteams and one overrated contender (Milwaukee).

Load Metric
    Name:  C5C3E56F-B02C-4364-A890-DEAAB214DC26.jpeg
Views: 147
Size:  1.29 MB

Load Metric
    Mookie out with a cracked rib. I had 3 broken ribs in 2014, and it took me 11 (!!) weeks to get better. However, Mookie only has one affected rib, and it's cracked, not broken. He's also about 13 years younger than I was when I had my injury. Still, this looks like 4 weeks on the DL, I'm guessing, maybe even 6.

Walker Buehler, of course, is out until at least September, and maybe until 2023. He never looked right this year.

Kimbrel is becoming the failpitcher some feared he would become.

Max Muncy claims he feels a lot better than before, thanks to his time on the DL. No matter. He's hitting .167 since returning.

Justin Turner is hitting .209 with 4 HR, and his OPS is barely over .600. He's 38 1/2, and it's finally showing.

Dodgers somehow still in first place, thanks to the unexpected heroics of Tony Gonsolin and Tyler Anderson, as well as the solid production from stars Trea Turner and Freddie Freeman (and also Betts during that one super hot streak). It should be noted, however, that Freddie's power hasn't been there. He only has 6 HR thus far. Maybe the dead ball is doing it, but he has held up a .291 average.

This team will make the playoffs, but I can easily see them losing the division to San Diego.

Willie's Cardinals are having a nice time in a fail division featuring 3 failteams and one overrated contender (Milwaukee).
    Freeman might be my favorite non-Indian. Just seems like the nicest kid in the world from everything I’ve seen.

You probably saw this. Made me laugh. My two favorite players in baseball.

Load Metric
    I heard a report that Dodgers team mates consider Gonsolin the best athlete on the team. That’s a stunning take.

He didn’t even pitch full time until the pros.

Load Metric
    Damn Gut. We got you again. Didn’t see that coming. Fun couple nights for me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    One of the strangest Twins seasons thus far. No idea what to make of this team. They have, by far, been involved in the most "blowout" games. Slightly more wins than losses.

Bats will collectively erupt together, then go silent together. The biggest projected weakness, the rotation, has been the most consistent strong point.

Everything is upside down. MLB 2022. I don't get too mad when its the Tribe beating my team, probably the movies from my childhood. The pale hosers can eternally fuck off tho.

Comments

BCR: Good win today. Pitching came through again.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    One of the strangest Twins seasons thus far. No idea what to make of this team. They have, by far, been involved in the most "blowout" games. Slightly more wins than losses.

Bats will collectively erupt together, then go silent together. The biggest projected weakness, the rotation, has been the most consistent strong point.

Everything is upside down. MLB 2022. I don't get too mad when its the Tribe beating my team, probably the movies from my childhood. The pale hosers can eternally fuck off tho.
    Well you got us today. You have a daunting lineup now on paper even if it hasn’t shown up consistently yet.

I’m thrilled with the season we are having so far. We are the youngest team in MLB. Not that it much matters as we are perpetually young and will continue to be with our budget.

I ran into Owen Miller and Ernie Clement at the bar next to my hotel a few weeks ago and couldn’t get over how young they looked. They are both basically my height and in street clothes, looked like any other young kids. If they weren’t together and for their facial hair, I probably wouldn’t have noticed them if I hadn’t just seen them the night before. Both were super polite. I have enjoyed these Tito years more than I enjoyed the years we were big spenders back in the day. Bunch of kids before they get paid and still down to earth. Tito sets a great tone year after year.

After Jose signed, that’s pretty much all I cared about, and was fine with rolling with the kids and seeing how they do. They’ve played over their heads so far, as we are among the leaders in hitting with runners in scoring position and our budget bullpen has been outstanding, but that doesn’t feel particularly sustainable. We have been competitive most of the years, and that’s enough for me at this point. I really expected this year to be a struggle, but there have been some nice surprises so far. Clase finally coming into his own. Giminez looking like a real player. Naylor back after that bad injury. Our resident Mets fan in Moscow Mr Tickle(unsure if he’s still there given the situation) told me we got decent prospects for Lindor, but with how bad he’s been since he left, Giminez over .300 and Rosario hitting well makes me always smile given Lindors contract.

We aren’t ever beating the Yankees or winning it all given our budgetconstraints, but they keep me interested until the end most years.

Load Metric
    Good lord Yankees. I’m not gonna be able to sleep tonight. They are frightening

Load Metric
    Yankees are insane.

Does this story get any traction south of the border?

Cliffs
    -Tuesday night the Jays get some very horrible calls. I believe just pitching coach Pete "Dui" Walker got tossed on Tuesday.
    -Wednesday as they're handing in the lineups the hitting coach goes off on umps and gets tossed before pitch #1.
    -Now he gets 5 games.

See next post for ump chart

Load Metric
    Name:  umps.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  81.9 KB

Thread Information