Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL MLB 2022 THREAD ****

Load Metric
    Showho? Have a new favorite Asian. This Kwan kid is one tough out.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dodgers bats are asleep since spring training started, even though their first series was in Colorado.

I can't imagine this lasting, but not very fun to watch.

Somehow Andrew Heaney pitched well in his first Dodgers start, but they're locked in a 1-1 tie at Minnesota.

That is all.

Load Metric
    SMH Kershaw decision.

Probably the right call of course but what a kick in the balls, let him go for it, not like he was 100+ in.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    SMH Kershaw decision.

Probably the right call of course but what a kick in the balls, let him go for it, not like he was 100+ in.
    Weather was absolute shit, almost no spring training and Kershaw is damaged goods. Woulda been interesting though.

I’m a hater but I’m not intentionally fiscally irresponsible.

To be transparent, half my handicap was Paddack being trash. If the new Padres pitching coach set him free it wasn’t cause he loved him.

Name:  C65217AB-437D-45CC-81DA-228FBB879DD8.jpeg
Views: 228
Size:  37.4 KB

Load Metric
    Load management in the first week.

I get it you don’t want Kershaw getting injured. After 7 innings of a perfect game I can’t bring him out unless he is injured. He’s old and soon Druff needs to decide if he will be in the room when they put him down.

Comments

Sanlmar: Ooof

Sheesfaced: wow

Load Metric
    Reds fans complaining about the contact on this home plate play. Nothing intentional here. The throw is off line forcing the catcher out of position & having to make the only play he can. The complaint is with Voit's right arm contacting Stephens head. What else is Viot supposed to do with his arm? Looks like an instinctive move by Voit to protect himself. This is just a baseball play. Nothing more.

Stephenson is a good looking ballplayer. Reds should get him from behind home plate. He can play out field as well. Or they could trade him to the Cardinals. Wouldn't mind having him at all.

Last edited by herbertstemple; 04-20-2022 at 07:33 AM.
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Pretty bad.

Props to Judge and Stanton for getting over there and putting a stop to the madness.

Given that the team likely has records of who is in each seat (Stubhub shares their database of sales with MLB, for example), they should really put in some work to track these people down, and ban them from the stadium.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Pretty bad.

Props to Judge and Stanton for getting over there and putting a stop to the madness.

Given that the team likely has records of who is in each seat (Stubhub shares their database of sales with MLB, for example), they should really put in some work to track these people down, and ban them from the stadium.
    Players should never engage fans, but the fans have no right to throw water bottles/beer cans on the field.

They should go back through video and ban everyone who threw shit on the field for 1 yr. I don't care if you have season's tickets or overpaid $250 on stubhub for those seats. GFY.

Load Metric
    When Boras'ing goes wrong.

Hindsight might be 20/20, but man did Michael Conforto lose out on some money. After being a solid, but not spectacular, hitter from 2017-20, he picked a bad time to have a down season last year, in his walk year. .232/.344/.384 with only 14 homers in 479 PA. Nonetheless, the Mets issued him a QO. $18.4 mil. Seemed like one of the most likely accepts of the QO ever. NOPE. Boras thought he could get more, which was questionable at best.

Didn't sign before the lockout, then injures his shoulder training in January. Season-ending surgery now for the guy still without a team. I'd guess for 2023 someone will sign him to a prove it deal for something like $7-9 mil for a season.

WHOOPS

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    When Boras'ing goes wrong.

Hindsight might be 20/20, but man did Michael Conforto lose out on some money. After being a solid, but not spectacular, hitter from 2017-20, he picked a bad time to have a down season last year, in his walk year. .232/.344/.384 with only 14 homers in 479 PA. Nonetheless, the Mets issued him a QO. $18.4 mil. Seemed like one of the most likely accepts of the QO ever. NOPE. Boras thought he could get more, which was questionable at best.

Didn't sign before the lockout, then injures his shoulder training in January. Season-ending surgery now for the guy still without a team. I'd guess for 2023 someone will sign him to a prove it deal for something like $7-9 mil for a season.

WHOOPS
    What’s even funnier about that is that by extending him a QO the Mets we’re guaranteed to receive draft pick compensation when he signed with another team. And now they presumably don’t get that. Although pretty sure in the new CBA that’s no longer the case but I’d think the QO’s already extended prior to ratification would’ve been grandfathered in but maybe that wasn’t the case?

Load Metric
    Oops again Andrew Friedman

Noticeable move overnight on Joc Pederson home run odds from 300/1 down to 20/1 at Westgate.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Oops again Andrew Friedman

Noticeable move overnight on Joc Pederson home run odds from 300/1 down to 20/1 at Westgate.
    Yung Joc is killing it right now (.362, 6 HR), but keep in mind that he's very streaky, and left-handers just destroy him. Two other teams passed on him in 2021 (Cubs and Braves).

Dodgers had too many OF at the time his contract came up. Now they could use one more, given Pollock being traded and the DH spot opening.

More interesting is the return of Cody Bellinger after looking worse than ever in the spring. He's still striking out a lot (21 in 59 AB), but he's back to a .855 OPS with 4 HR. He looked lost all of last year.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The Reds are really, really bad. I have no idea how many games this team is going to lose, but it's going to be a ton. This was a team which won 83 games in 2021, and contended for a wildcard spot at one point, so it's surprising how they just gave up and shipped away several players.

However, what's even more surprising is how bad the pitching has been. The offense was expected to be awful, but their pitching was anchored by Tyler Mahle, and they have three good young arms in the rotation in Hunter Greene, Nick Lodolo, and Reiver Sanmaritn. I actually have all 3 of these guys (all but Lodolo) on my two fantasy teams. All of been a disappointment, especially Sanmartin. So we're seeing a weak hitting team combined with terrible pitching, and you're seeing the result.

Somehow the Pirates, who were once again said to be 100+ game losers, haven't been that bad. They came in 8-8 today, and are about to lose, but honestly this team looks better than expected. Not only should they finish ahead of the Reds, but it won't surprise me if they lose fewer than 90, which for them is progress.

The Mets look like they might finally be for real. This team hasn't won the World Series since 1986, and they've won just two NL East titles since 1989. Chris Bassitt was a great pickup and has looked excellent so far. Mr. Tickle, the unexpected Mets fan from England, has to be pleased. They're the NL team which scares me most as far as potential Dodgers opponents in the playoffs.

Speaking of the Dodgers, while I believe they will win the NL West again and reclaim their (barely) lost streak of titles, the division should be pretty challenging this year. Padres and Rockies looking better than expected (especially Rockies), and the Giants are somehow still dominant against everyone except the Mets. The Diamondbacks are awful, and will probably lose 100+, but everyone else isn't going to be a cakewalk.

Dodgers lineup is so good that you don't even notice that 3 of their hitters are off to bad starts -- Muncy, Justin Turner, and Betts. The two most comforting things I've seen so far from the team are the comeback of Bellinger and Kimbrel not being a disaster. We'll see if both hold up.

Load Metric
    Lol Dodgers.

Time to renew the Turner defense ridicule. I’ve given you several weeks pass. Appreciate me

I don’t know how you haven’t become like the pre 1980’s fellowship of the miserable type of Cubs or Red Sox fans.

That endless sunny optimism really ain’t manly at all

Load Metric
    It’s a long meaningless season. Teams don’t win 162. I get it.

The greatest lineup in the history of baseball (I’ve heard that said) doesn’t make those lunkhead plays daily.

Oh, wait. I guess they do.

Load Metric
    Cardinals finally found a Mets pitcher they could hit. Came close to getting swept. They couldn't get rid of DeJong this winter & he's batting a whopping .133. The Cubs, Pirates & Reds all rebuilding this year so they catch a break there. They should make the playoffs but doubt they will set the world on fire. Will help when Flaherty comes off IL.
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    It’s a long meaningless season. Teams don’t win 162. I get it.

The greatest lineup in the history of baseball (I’ve heard that said) doesn’t make those lunkhead plays daily.

Oh, wait. I guess they do.
    Total fail series. Nobody was hitting, and the defense was horrendous. I think they believed they'd coast into a sweep, and lost 2 of 3 to one of the worst teams in baseball.

They blew so many chances to score yesterday, and slowly chunked off an early 3-0 lead. Today was just pathetic.

Sad!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    Cardinals finally found a Mets pitcher they could hit. Came close to getting swept. They couldn't get rid of DeJong this winter & he's batting a whopping .133. The Cubs, Pirates & Reds all rebuilding this year so they catch a break there. They should make the playoffs but doubt they will set the world on fire. Will help when Flaherty comes off IL.
    There is a narrative that is especially appropriate for 2022 (post CBA) and it goes like this:

If a team wins the first two games of a series (Mets) and the last game of the series is a day “get-a-way” game expect the other team (Cardinals) to win.

Lotta reasons this so. The series winner probably has used their bullpen up in there winning effort, for example. A team only needs to win two out of three during the course of a season and you’re in the playoffs. No need to make a regular season statement.

Better than average is ok.

Load Metric
    Pretty pedestrian output from the greatest lineup in the history of baseball Druff.

Wanna know why? 3 outcome baseball in the dead ball era.

+290 Tigers vs Kershaw. Maybe the fade Kershaw era is still with us. I find comfort in the familiar.

Trivia question: how many rings did Don Sutton win? Kershaw and Sutton have something else in common.

Thread Information