Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL MLB 2022 THREAD ****

Load Metric
    Wes Johnson, pitching coach for the Twins, is leaving his position (mid-season) to take another job, the same job....with LSU.

Johnson made 350k with the Twins, relatively average for a pitching coach. LSU will pay him 750k.

Make sure to keep socking away that dough for your kids college funds folks.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Wes Johnson, pitching coach for the Twins, is leaving his position (mid-season) to take another job, the same job....with LSU.

Johnson made 350k with the Twins, relatively average for a pitching coach. LSU will pay him 750k.

Actually LSU's athletic program is generating a shitload of money, so this stuff doesn't affect tuition.

But yeah tuition is insaaaaaaaaane these days, at both public and private universities. In 1990 when I went to a public university, it was $1800 for the entire fucking year, which even after inflation is only like $4k today. Thank the student loan availability for the skyrocketing prices. I'll be taking it up the ass in 7 years when Ben goes to college.

I'm actually hoping there's some kind of backlash by then, and prices are reduced, but it's probably a pipe dream.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The Dodgers, projected to have an unstoppable lineup in 2022, now have kind of a fail lineup at the moment.

Trea Turner and Freddie Freeman have been very good, as expected.

Mookie Betts was absolutely unstoppable during that hot run, but otherwise was kind of fail offensively, and now is injured for awhile. Very weird season for him so far.

But the real problem has been the trio of Justin Turner, Max Muncy, and Cody Bellinger. They each have different issues. Turner is just old and worn down. Honestly he should just retire after 2022. Muncy seems to have not recovered from his September 2021 injury, and I'm wondering if he'll ever be the same player again. Muncy was always a bit of an oddity. He was never highly regarded as a prospect, and was mediocre in the minors. He was a failplayer for Oakland in his short time up with them. Then he joined the Dodgers, spend a year in the minors, and killed it when promoted. He has an incredible eye for balls and strikes, and unexpected power, but you have to wonder if both the injury and the league are catching up with him. Bellinger was highly regarded and lived up to it, but just like Muncy, he's never been the same guy since getting hurt. This will be the third consecutive year where he's bad. You gotta wonder if he's destined to be one of those guys who killed it at the beginning but fell apart.

Anyway, these three have basically become automatic outs (especially Muncy), and they've killed so many rallies, it's getting sad.

Dodgers are squeaking by right now via smoke and mirrors. Bullpen isn't particularly good (Hudson getting hurt is going to be a killer), Buehler was never right and now probably missing all of 2022, and who knows how long Tony Gonsolin will keep up this Jacob Degrom imitation?

I guess I'll have to see what they pull off at the trade deadline.

I still have a soft spot for the Reds' Tyler Mahle. He hasn't had the best year, but I bet the Dodgers could fix him. I kind of have the feeling that he's on their radar.

Load Metric

Firstly, LSU is a state school. The Louisiana taxpayers are very generous baseball supporters. It’s a move that will help recruiting beyond imagination.

Secondly, tuition rates are a market rate deal. It’s NOT a function of the cost of materials and labor. There is all kinds of college money sloshing around so it’s time to sponge it up. That market will never correct.

Thirdly and maybe most importantly, is what this says about the Twins that a pitching coach would leave midsession and the Twins didn’t try to match the offer and pay more.

You got some ‘splainin’ to do Gut
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 06-27-2022 at 11:15 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The Dodgers, projected to have an unstoppable lineup in 2022, now have kind of a fail lineup at the moment.

Trea Turner and Freddie Freeman have been very good, as expected.

Mookie Betts was absolutely unstoppable during that hot run, but otherwise was kind of fail offensively, and now is injured for awhile. Very weird season for him so far.

But the real problem has been the trio of Justin Turner, Max Muncy, and Cody Bellinger. They each have different issues. Turner is just old and worn down. Honestly he should just retire after 2022. Muncy seems to have not recovered from his September 2021 injury, and I'm wondering if he'll ever be the same player again. Muncy was always a bit of an oddity. He was never highly regarded as a prospect, and was mediocre in the minors. He was a failplayer for Oakland in his short time up with them. Then he joined the Dodgers, spend a year in the minors, and killed it when promoted. He has an incredible eye for balls and strikes, and unexpected power, but you have to wonder if both the injury and the league are catching up with him. Bellinger was highly regarded and lived up to it, but just like Muncy, he's never been the same guy since getting hurt. This will be the third consecutive year where he's bad. You gotta wonder if he's destined to be one of those guys who killed it at the beginning but fell apart.

Anyway, these three have basically become automatic outs (especially Muncy), and they've killed so many rallies, it's getting sad.

Dodgers are squeaking by right now via smoke and mirrors. Bullpen isn't particularly good (Hudson getting hurt is going to be a killer), Buehler was never right and now probably missing all of 2022, and who knows how long Tony Gonsolin will keep up this Jacob Degrom imitation?

I guess I'll have to see what they pull off at the trade deadline.

I still have a soft spot for the Reds' Tyler Mahle. He hasn't had the best year, but I bet the Dodgers could fix him. I kind of have the feeling that he's on their radar.
    I've given you a decision to make
    Things to lose, things to take

- Violent Femmes

The regular season is a summer distraction. Close to meaningless post CBA except as a research exercise for the front office. The question to ask yourself (every year) is what mid season changes will the Dodgers make?

I will help you. Almost none. Turner, Muncy, BELLINGER will all be in the lineup come playoffs. Guess who your closer will be despite all evidence ytd. Yeah, you know it.

Google knows me well and suggested a YouTube video “The Rise and Fall of Cody Bellinger”. It wasn’t that good. Maybe it was aimed at a different audience. I never bought into Bellinger from day one, as you recall. His initial success confounded me.

Being stupid was often an asset in the old days. Ricky Henderson and Manny Ramirez spring to mind immediately. However, in the age of mind crushing analytics, video and advanced training - guys like Bellinger are getting owned.

The Athletic article on Judge and advanced pitching machines really affected me. What Judge was seeing off the pitching machine made real life look easy. Not speed but movement.

Load Metric
    Don’t know if I mentioned it on this site or not.

Why does Freeman bat 2nd? It is common knowledge he sucks ass with no baserunners but is a monster with men on base.

I know guys who live bet next batter props with Freeman next up. It’s money for them knowing the context of his at bat.

Just plain stubborn Dodgers, I guess. Doesn’t really matter now. It’s something fun to follow anyway.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Don’t know if I mentioned it on this site or not.

Why does Freeman bat 2nd? It is common knowledge he sucks ass with no baserunners but is a monster with men on base.

I know guys who live bet next batter props with Freeman next up. It’s money for them knowing the context of his at bat.

Just plain stubborn Dodgers, I guess. Doesn’t really matter now. It’s something fun to follow anyway.
    That kind of thing is likely to have very little to no persistance (ie it's random), like batters who have reverse splits.

2nd in the order should still come up with runners on base fairly often, and it's where you bat your best hitter.

He has his highest wRC+ batting 2nd btw (other than small samples of him batting 8/9).

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/fr...on=1B&season=0
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Load Metric
    Speaking of Freeman he fired his agent recently. Reason below:

Freddie Freeman was NEVER TOLD about the final offer from the Atlanta Braves because his agent knew he would accept it. Freeman found out about it this past weekend when he was back in Atlanta

Load Metric
    BCR, that 5 game series was just brutal for the Twins bullpen, and the FO better be working the phones already.

Could have easily swept it, instead win 2. Zombie Indians make you pay for any easy pitch. Scrappy fucking team. Should be a fun race.

See Buxtons walk-off tonight? If that kid wasn't Mr. Glass he would be talked about in the same breath as Trout.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Speaking of Freeman he fired his agent recently. Reason below:

Freddie Freeman was NEVER TOLD about the final offer from the Atlanta Braves because his agent knew he would accept it. Freeman found out about it this past weekend when he was back in Atlanta
    The Freeman saga with his agent and the Braves is very bizarre.

It's even more because it just played out in the MIDDLE OF THE SEASON while he's already with the Dodgers. This created a really awkward situation. It's like publicly crying about your ex-girlfriend dumping you in front of your new girlfriend of 6 months whom you claim to love so much.

Basically Freeman really, really, really wanted to stay with the Braves, but they were hesitant about giving him a monster contract, given his age (he's born in September 1989). Braves draw very well these days, and are basically the team for the entire deep south, but they still don't have Dodgers or Yankees type money.

Anyway, there was very little movement regarding what he wanted versus what the Braves were willing to pay, and he started getting frustrated. There was also apparently very little communication. Then the Braves abruptly signed Matt Olson for a bunch of money to play his position, so that was the abrupt "fuck you", and Freeman knew he had to seek employment elsewhere. He then went to the Dodgers, who were his (distant) second choice.

Of course, none of this was a secret. This was known from the beginning. He made it clear that he felt disrespected by the Braves when the news broke about Olson.

However, when Freddie made his first return to Atlanta, this time playing for the Dodgers, he was overcome with emotion. As much as he hated Braves ownership/management, he still loved the team and the fans. He actually cried upon returning "home", which of course was a bit awkward in more ways than one.

Then the agent stuff came out. As simpdog mentioned above, it is now accused that Freddie's agent didn't give him the message about the final offer from the Braves, assuming he would get more in free agency, thus meaning a bigger commission for the agent. While this offer was still substantially less than what the Dodgers gave him, there is some belief that Freddie would have taken that final offer, had he known about it.

This is not proven, but this is the allegation going around. This complicated Freddie's emotions even more, as not only was he returning to Atlanta for the first time since being abruptly cast aside, but he was hearing rumors that he could have stayed if his agent hadn't misbehaved.

Regardless of what happened, his contract with the Dodgers is valid no matter what, and he's a Dodger now for the bulk of the remainder of his career. It's not that he doesn't like the Dodgers. He grew up in Orange County, and while he was an Angels fan, the Dodgers were a team he also dreamed of one day playing for. He just got really attached to the Braves, and wanted to be like Chipper Jones -- a lifetime Braves guy who played his entire career there while making a huge impact. That got cut short, and now he feels like the second phase of his career is playing for his second choice.

Ouch.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Batting Freddie second isn't a bad idea if you have a high OBP, speedy guy ahead of you. Trea Turner somewhat fits that, though his .352 OBP is lower than you'd expect for a speedy guy who hits for a high average.

The general belief is that Trea gets on, and Freeman either moves him to 3rd or drives him in.

With Mookie Betts, though, who was batting leadoff prior to getting injured, it's less clear. Betts isn't slow, but he doesn't have Trea's speed, and he also was hitting for a lot of power this year (17 HR in 245 AB). He had a similar OBP to Trea, but I never understood why they didn't start with Trea leadoff, then Betts, then Freeman. Or at the very least, Trea-Freeman-Betts.

Then put Will Smith fourth (and stop sitting him -- DH him to give him rest from catching), and hope the rest can produce on-and-off. The Dodgers have a few struggling guys who used to put up big numbers, in Muncy, Justin Turner, and Bellinger. You need to get a lot out of those first four guys mentioned above while these other players are struggling, especially with Betts presently out.

Anyway, the Dodgers are once again clobbering the Padres. It's amazing how much they've beaten the Padres over the last few years, even in 2022 when the Padres are fairly good. That's what's helped them stay in first, despite inconsistent performance otherwise.

Load Metric
    Dodgers might be in first place, but there's no fun to be had @ the games.

It's a safety concern for other spectators. LOL

Platinum
    Load Metric

Actually LSU's athletic program is generating a shitload of money, so this stuff doesn't affect tuition.

But yeah tuition is insaaaaaaaaane these days, at both public and private universities. In 1990 when I went to a public university, it was $1800 for the entire fucking year, which even after inflation is only like $4k today. Thank the student loan availability for the skyrocketing prices. I'll be taking it up the ass in 7 years when Ben goes to college.

I'm actually hoping there's some kind of backlash by then, and prices are reduced, but it's probably a pipe dream.
    One positive of Covid…kids first year of college he stayed at home, saved about $13k on no dorm, he also AP tested about a years worth of classes…so not too bad….one year to go.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dodgers have 4 reps at their own stadium's All Star Game. Mookie Betts and Trea Turner were elected by vote, and Tony Gonsolin and Clayton Kershaw were chosen as pitchers. Gonsolin was obvious. Kershaw was iffy.

The last ASG at Dodger Stadium was in 1980. Needless to say, at age 8, I couldn't exactly afford tickets.

Last year, I was planning our family Colorado trip, which was to start in Denver in mid-July. Thanks to the wokeness of MLB, they moved the ASG to Denver, and I could have scheduled the trip around that. However, knowing it was coming to LA, I chose to schedule the trip for a few days later, when the Dodgers would be in town. I took Ben to a road Dodgers game there, which they won. I said, "If I really want to see an All Star Game, I can easily do it next year."

Well, next year is here.

Right now, nosebleed seats are around $300 each, and the seats I'd like are about $775 each. Ouch. For reference, I went to the Dodgers World Series games and paid $600 each last time, so I actually would be paying more than the World Series.

Can't do it.

However, we have 9 days left, so there's still time for the price to drop. I will re-evaluate.

Load Metric

However, we have 9 days left, so there's still time for the price to drop. I will re-evaluate.
    I went to two games and two home run derbies as a kid; the home run derby was far superior entertainment.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

I went to two games and two home run derbies as a kid; the home run derby was far superior entertainment.
    I'm considering that as an alternative. That's somewhat cheaper, and also the "good" seats are much less important, because you're not caring about balls and strikes or the infield action.

Load Metric
    Dodgers have 4 reps at their own stadium's All Star Game. Mookie Betts and Trea Turner were elected by vote, and Tony Gonsolin and Clayton Kershaw were chosen as pitchers. Gonsolin was obvious. Kershaw was iffy.

The last ASG at Dodger Stadium was in 1980. Needless to say, at age 8, I couldn't exactly afford tickets.

Last year, I was planning our family Colorado trip, which was to start in Denver in mid-July. Thanks to the wokeness of MLB, they moved the ASG to Denver, and I could have scheduled the trip around that. However, knowing it was coming to LA, I chose to schedule the trip for a few days later, when the Dodgers would be in town. I took Ben to a road Dodgers game there, which they won. I said, "If I really want to see an All Star Game, I can easily do it next year."

Well, next year is here.

Right now, nosebleed seats are around $300 each, and the seats I'd like are about $775 each. Ouch. For reference, I went to the Dodgers World Series games and paid $600 each last time, so I actually would be paying more than the World Series.

Can't do it.

Bite the bullet. Take Ben. I took my son when it was in Phoenix 10 years ago for his birthday. It was fun. You can sit in the outfield with the Mexicans for one game. It will be a cultural experience for both of you.

Load Metric
    Blue Jays fired manager today after a win over the Phillies.

Load Metric
    Gonsolin and Clayton Kershaw were chosen as pitchers. Gonsolin was obvious. Kershaw was iffy.

Iffy? Lol. I know you’re serious though.

Lotta old guys are getting some kind of mercy date this year. Not following but I do know undeserving olds Pujols and Cabrera, like Kershaw, were allowed into the stadium. Why?

More MLB retardation that is the hallmark of 2022.

Doing their utmost to kill the game… and succeeding

Gonsolin is real this year. Though many feel he is due for regression I recognize his added pitch and new pitch mix. He’s legit. Discount today? I say so.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Blue Jays fired manager today after a win over the Phillies.
    You can't fire a bunch of players all at once.

The bats have been a little better but the pitching has been worse. Reason? Injuries.

Ryu out
    Nate Pearson out
    Gausman out (although coming back soon)
    Kikuchi out (also shorter term)

Thread Information