Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Understanding Anti-Intellectualism in the U.S.

PFA Radio Co-Host
    Load Metric

Understanding Anti-Intellectualism in the U.S.

Great article: https://www.studioatao.org/post/unde...ism-in-the-u-s

Some excerpts:

Anti-intellectualism is a pervasive and popular mindset because it encourages us to cling to our most fervently held beliefs, with little or no supporting evidence. Simply advocating for more education is not enough; fully combating anti-intellectualism requires us to actively challenge our own assumptions with new perspectives and embrace the discomfort of recognizing how much we simply do not, and cannot, know.
    and it's not exclusive to one side or the other:

Anti-intellectualism is often associated with America’s current ideological right, conservative thinkers, and religious followers, yet progressives and liberals have also wielded anti-intellectualism to protect their own political power and social standing (including, ironically, perpetuating a non-existent correlation between intellect and class, and a paternalistic approach in addressing social change). This has contributed to intersectional divisions, going so far as to damage progressive and liberal movements, e.g., liberal entitlement and rhetoric denigrating the South as backwards and racist while overlooking the decades of work that Southerners have put into various civil rights issues.

Comments

nightmarefish:

Walter Sobchak: Post more

splitthis: Stupid

gimmick:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by khalwat View Post

Some excerpts:

Anti-intellectualism is often associated with America’s current ideological right, conservative thinkers, and religious followers, yet progressives and liberals have also wielded anti-intellectualism to protect their own political power and social standing (including, ironically, perpetuating a non-existent correlation between intellect and class, and a paternalistic approach in addressing social change). This has contributed to intersectional divisions, going so far as to damage progressive and liberal movements, e.g., liberal entitlement and rhetoric denigrating the South as backwards and racist while overlooking the decades of work that Southerners have put into various civil rights issues.
    It's endemic on both sides of the political spectrum, further exacerbated by curation of news fed to us on the internet.

The country is dumb as shit and has gotten significantly worse; I think we all can agree on this.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Some excerpts:

It's endemic on both sides of the political spectrum, further exacerbated by curation of news fed to us on the internet.

The country is dumb as shit and has gotten significantly worse; I think we all can agree on this.
    Count me in on the definitely agree camp

Comments

nightmarefish: Keep your ass in the Canadian threads, TIA.

Bronze
    Load Metric

Some excerpts:

I doubt the people that you are trying to reach on this forum are going to read an entire article. Even Druff, I put at 50/50

Gold
    Load Metric

Some excerpts:

I think a large part of what is making the government dumb is that the best and the brightest have no thought whatsoever of ever running for office or working for the government in other capacities. The best engineers, scientists or just the best minds devote their lives elsewhere and what we wind up with is something far less than what we need.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Another problem with running for office is how everything you ever wrote on the internet comes back to bite you. If you're going to be a politician, you need to just stay off social media or be very careful with every tweet, starting from a young age. This will only get worse over time.

I cringe whenever anyone is raked over the coals for tweeting the word "idiotic" or "retard" back when they were 17.

There is indeed a problem right now with having to pacify the loud, extreme voices on both sides, or otherwise you often won't make it past the primary. On the right, you can't say that the 2020 election was legit, nor can you say that the anti-COVID-vax movement is dumb, without seriously hurting your political chances. On the left, you can't challenge any wacky stuff from the progressive left (such as the belief that parents should let 3-year-olds choose their gender and start transitioning), without also hurting your political chances and losing the primary.

All politicians today have to either repeat the crazy or stay out of its way, and that's sad.

Youngkin chose the "stay out of the way" strategy, and it worked for him. But it would really be nice if the nutjobs on both sides were pushed into the background again.

Comments

country978: no doubt

Jayjami: Faggot and retard rep

Walter Sobchak: True

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Name:  92081A16-FC3F-4834-8977-0AD2802CCDC6.jpeg
Views: 214
Size:  175.3 KB

and I was being kind

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Name:  92081A16-FC3F-4834-8977-0AD2802CCDC6.jpeg
Views: 214
Size:  175.3 KB

and I was being kind
    new movie coming out

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest

7 billion tickets pre-sold

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    As PFA's biggest intellectual, it's only fair for me to chime in that intellectuals enjoy an extreme genetic and economic privilege and I expect non intellectuals to find them insufferable and gay regardless of political ideology. I know I've said some shit on here, but I also think like even having a political ideology is gay as hell and the kind of people that are really preoccupied with politics, hot debates are basically prisoners of their own misused brains and I'm not saying that's bad, but I don't necessarily respect a dude because he can spew about religion, science, led zeppelin

Comments

Jayjami: Very well said

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post
    As PFA's biggest intellectual, it's only fair for me to chime in that intellectuals enjoy an extreme genetic and economic privilege and I expect non intellectuals to find them insufferable and gay regardless of political ideology. I know I've said some shit on here, but I also think like even having a political ideology is gay as hell and the kind of people that are really preoccupied with politics, hot debates are basically prisoners of their own misused brains and I'm not saying that's bad, but I don't necessarily respect a dude because he can spew about religion, science, led zeppelin
    Coming from an intellectual gay....respect

Load Metric
    I saw this article the other day

Understanding faggots in the United States

an excerpt:

Kalwhat is a huge fag, he sucks a lot of dicks

absolutely fascinating

Comments

splitthis: Lol

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post

an excerpt:

Kalwhat is a huge fag, he sucks a lot of dicks

absolutely fascinating
    Patient zero.

Kind of long for the days when morons like dwai were confined to their trailers and watching Jerry Springer with no real outlet to the outside world beyond Wal Mart and the food stamp line.

Shit hit the fan when high speed internet became accessible to such people.

Comments

splitthis: Stupid

country978: sometimes dwai is funny and that was funny

dwai: country this green you gave him should be red if what I said was funny

PROUDBOY MAGA 2024: Soyboy trash

gimmick:
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post
    I have definitely been trying to figure out who amongst us is the biggest intellectual so thank you for clearing that up. I have so many questions.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Another problem with running for office is how everything you ever wrote on the internet comes back to bite you. If you're going to be a politician, you need to just stay off social media or be very careful with every tweet, starting from a young age. This will only get worse over time.

I cringe whenever anyone is raked over the coals for tweeting the word "faggot" or "retard" back when they were 17.

There is indeed a problem right now with having to pacify the loud, extreme voices on both sides, or otherwise you often won't make it past the primary. On the right, you can't say that the 2020 election was legit, nor can you say that the anti-COVID-vax movement is dumb, without seriously hurting your political chances. On the left, you can't challenge any wacky stuff from the progressive left (such as the belief that parents should let 3-year-olds choose their gender and start transitioning), without also hurting your political chances and losing the primary.

All politicians today have to either repeat the crazy or stay out of its way, and that's sad.

Youngkin chose the "stay out of the way" strategy, and it worked for him. But it would really be nice if the nutjobs on both sides were pushed into the background again.
    When there is almost no requirements to run for office, including educational achievement, your gonna get some scum like Trump who see an opportunity to further their personal gain or agenda.

That's why the quality of candidates is so weak. It has to be the most boring job in the world unless you like to see your name in the paper or have the code to the big button.

The attacks from the opposition makes the job a 3 out of ten

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I cringe whenever anyone is raked over the coals for tweeting the word "faggot" or "retard" back when they were 17.

When there is almost no requirements to run for office, including educational achievement, your gonna get some scum like Trump who see an opportunity to further their personal gain or agenda.

That's why the quality of candidates is so weak. It has to be the most boring job in the world unless you like to see your name in the paper or have the code to the big button.

The attacks from the opposition makes the job a 3 out of ten
    the upside is they get to have huge campaign funds. for as much as she talks about fairness and equity I'd be willing to speculate that even AOC is far wealthier now than she could have ever imagined. They just have to "account" for it appropriately

Load Metric

an excerpt:

absolutely fascinating
    Patient zero.

Kind of long for the days when morons like dwai were confined to their trailers and watching Jerry Springer with no real outlet to the outside world beyond Wal Mart and the food stamp line.

as weird as it sounds I actually agree with this, I've been online since 96 when my dad bought a Compaq and we were on AOL. things were much better back then thru 2006. before every liberal queer faggot and dumb n-word got a smart phone connected to the internet, spouting their dumbass opinions on Twitter like anyone gives a fuck what these life rejects have to say

Load Metric

Patient zero.

as weird as it sounds I actually agree with this, I've been online since 96 when my dad bought a Compaq and we were on AOL. things were much better back then thru 2006. before every liberal queer faggot and dumb n-word got a smart phone connected to the internet, spouting their dumbass opinions on Twitter like anyone gives a fuck what these life rejects have to say
    Druff's legacy folks.

Gold
    Load Metric

Patient zero.

dwai has never once offended me and has made me laugh a lot. I think some of you are too sensitive and too hard on him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by country978 View Post
    dwai has never once offended me and has made me laugh a lot. I think some of you are too sensitive and too hard on him.
    Oh, never considered that. "We" are simply too sensitive. Back to your grade ten home schooling from someone you call mom

Not realizing you're talking about the most ignorant member on this forum makes you second in that category

Dwai has likely never anally raped you either
    Last edited by limitles; 11-03-2021 at 06:00 PM.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by country978 View Post

Oh, never considered that. We" are simply too sensitive. Back to your grade ten home schooling from someone you call mom
    sometimes. i mean so what he calls people names and doesnt want to take the vaccine? He's entertaining. What he said to khalwat I would never in my life say to anyone but it was funny and made me laugh. He hasnt anally raped me but I'm not the type to engage him or anyone on that level either. That doesn't mean I cant or shouldnt find humor in him or that I would even see the good in him or you.
    Last edited by country978; 11-03-2021 at 06:10 PM.

Thread Information