Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Henry Ruggs hires Chesnoff and Schonfeld

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I knew a guy in the 80s who died due to a DUI, and he was just an innocent passenger.

In 1986, my first year on BBSes, I got to know an older kid (16) who went by "The Ice Pirate". His real name was Rick Jackson. I was 14 at the time, and obviously couldn't drive. One BBS had a party, and I had no way to get there. Rick was nice enough to offer to come to my house, pick me up, and drive me both ways, even though we didn't live all that close to one another, and even though we weren't close friends. I appreciated this very much, and he seemed like a good guy. I accepted his offer, and he drove me.

Eventually I lost touch with him, but I was very saddened to open up the newspaper in 1989 and read about a terrible drunk driving accident, involving a really drunk guy trying to outrun police, hitting a parked car, and killing one of his passengers. That passenger was Rick Jackson, who was only 19.

The driver's BAC was 0.19%, and he ended up getting sentenced to state prison. He legitimately seemed very remorseful (he had killed Jackson, a close friend, plus seriously injured another friend), but the damage was done. Later they paroled him fairly early, with the agreement that he go around to high schools in southern California and make (uncompensated) speeches about the dangers of drunk driving.

Very tragic situation, and while I was never all that close to Rick, I felt really sad reading about what happened.

Here's an old LA Times article about it: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...193-story.html

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    How does car insurance vs personal liability work in these cases? Will insurance cover at all? Can they get off the hook for gross negligence? I assume he had full coverage top of the line insurance.
    Fuck, why on earth would you care about the insurance coverage of someone you do not know? What are you planning on renting a corvette and get wasted at 165mph? You are one weird dude, go back to your stay at home Dad activities.

Comments

jsearles22: Drunk before dinner rep

Walter Sobchak: Yup, must have been bad toilets today

Gold
    Load Metric
    How does car insurance vs personal liability work in these cases? Will insurance cover at all? Can they get off the hook for gross negligence? I assume he had full coverage top of the line insurance.
    I used to work in auto insurance and if I recall correctly the policy is in force unless the person who is liable for the accident had stolen the car. Ensuing damages to other peoples property or injury was not covered only the event of a theft. There was no exclusion in the policy for what he did.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Fuck, why on earth would you care about the insurance coverage of someone you do not know? What are you planning on renting a corvette and get wasted at 165mph? You are one weird dude, go back to your stay at home Dad activities.
    I cannot believe I am conversing with a 'retired' security guard. What a lazy mope you are. Oh, wait, you are being a full time Dad, got it.

Comments

jsearles22: Les is more

Silver
    Load Metric
    My immediate family suffered a great tragedy at the hands of an intoxicated driver.

The penalties are way way way too soft.

I just look at it as another example of how little the government cares about the populace.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    My immediate family suffered a great tragedy at the hands of an intoxicated driver.

I just look at it as another example of how little the government cares about the populace.
    With Uber, Lyft, etc.. if you drink and drive and hurt someone you really need to get 10 years minimum. In this case the Raiders receiver, he had full access to team drivers. He just was a sociopath going 165mph in a two seat car. That is just suicidal, but watch for the CTE defense. Just watch. Concussions will come into play.

Gold
    Load Metric
    i last worked insurance in 2014. I'm 99% sure that in the ruggs scenario the person's injuries and damage to their property would be covered as it would be in any other scenario. Oh wait, there is one more exclusion to the policy...if you do something deliberately there is no coverage. I don't think it would be wise for the insurance company to say this was deliberate

Load Metric
    His car insurance will pay out the max hes covered for automatically in this case.. The victims family could collect on underinsured/uninsured coverage on her insurance as well beyond that its sue him and then try to collect a judgement but as is usual easier said then done.. He obviously has osme money to be able to pay the lawyers.. Raiders cut his ass immediately so he wont see another dime from them as this falls under for cause/morals clause type stuff, they are under no obligation to pay him even the rest of this years contract let alone any remaining years..

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    His car insurance will pay out the max hes covered for automatically in this case.. The victims family could collect on underinsured/uninsured coverage on her insurance as well beyond that its sue him and then try to collect a judgement but as is usual easier said then done.. He obviously has osme money to be able to pay the lawyers.. Raiders cut his ass immediately so he wont see another dime from them as this falls under for cause/morals clause type stuff, they are under no obligation to pay him even the rest of this years contract let alone any remaining years..
    I read he got something like $9.75 million signing bonus already. So it seems like he likely has some money.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric

Drunk hit my mom causing some perm issues back in 1993.. All she was able to get was his shit insurance coverage total plus some from uninsured/underinsured from USAA on her policy... She had issues that lead to eventually needing back surgery several years later.. Still has neck issues which started after the wreck but shes mid 70s now.. I think her lawyer was a putz personally..

Load Metric

I read he got something like $9.75 million signing bonus already. So it seems like he likely has some money.
    Well thats a good thing for her family.. Like I had said earlier if he has it locked in some trust its gonna be a bitch for them to get to it but if as is likely he was a dumb mofo with a huge bank account only that judgement will be easy to recover then via garnishment.. He cant legally force a trust creation now as it would be a clear attempt to circumvent a massive legal liability on his part.. Besides where hes going he wont need anywhere near that for prison commissary shit..

Gold
    Load Metric

he was driving around drunk in a 100k ish car. a numbskull if there ever was one. willing to bet he also did not make wise financial decisions and probably doesnt have as much left as you might think.

Comments

jsearles22: $2-3 million left probably

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by country978 View Post

he was driving around drunk in a 100k ish car. a numbskull if there ever was one. willing to bet he also did not make wise financial decisions and probably doesnt have as much left as you might think.
    Depends if its physical assets that are fungible they indeed can be seized, if he just lit it on fire partying then thats a different story but any real estate cars, jewelry et all are easy targets..

Gold
    Load Metric
    Brothers I was at the Top Golf Ruggs was video taped at before his crash earlier this week, it’s not the type of place I’d hang out if I was in the NFL, I went there for a business party. Thought it was just ok, probably cost the guy who hosted it a fortune but his clients seemed to have fun.

Comments

shoeshine box: I woulda met u there.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Drinking and driving is a terrible thing.

One of the guys I grew up with hit and killed a mother who was pushing a stroller with her two kids inside. The mom apparently sacrificed herself to save the kids. One of my other friends was in the passenger seat and testified at the trial of the look of terror the mom gave him before the collision, the guy rolled a stop sign and didn’t look right because he was high.

It was a really big wake up call for me in my life, that was a long time again back in like the college days when I was still up to a lot of dumb stuff. I always thought about how I could have easily been in the car, etc, or even driving.

The guy got off lucky and only served a few years. His parents are very rich and had a great legal team for him. I had mixed emotions on that, as the lady seemed like a great mom so justice and punishment are very appropriate but at the same time it’s hard to “root” for a guy you grew up with to do serious hard time, you know what I mean?

Anyways, I have seen some people hating on Derek Carr for making some comments about being there for Ruggs and missing his presence in the locker room, etc. I think Carr is just being a leader and expressing his true emotions. It’s a tough spot

This story hit me hard. I don’t know. The whole reality check of how fast life can change for people sometimes can “get you”. Many lives changed in the blink of an eye

You see the video of Ruggs crying on the ground while the lady was burning alive and screaming in her car?

In my friends trial a police officer testified that when he was originally taken to jail they told him the lady died and the first thing he said was “my life’s over”

His lawyer tried to get the case called a mistrial or whatever over that bc apparently they didn’t know that was going to be in the testimony. I’m no lawyer I don’t know the terminology, that strategy didn’t work though,

I had a similar feeling when the Aaron Hernandez thing happened. I don’t know why

It’s really a shame, it makes it a lot worse her dog was with her. I wonder where she was going alone with her dog at that hour. The universe is a strange and cruel place, I wish I could help her family and I wish somebody could have helped Ruggs grow up. He threw away the opportunity of a lifetime and took somebody else’s dreams along with it.

Comments

Sidewinder: well said.

tigerpiper: Vegas is a 24 hour city. Could have picked dog up from doggy day care

Load Metric
    2 years? 8 years? 20 years?

He should be dragged out to the Bellagio fountain and publicly stoned to death. Uber and Lyft could sponsor it and provide snacks & entertainment

Sorry, but fuck the introspection.

Send a public message about consequences
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 11-04-2021 at 11:22 PM.

Load Metric
    what I am deducing is this, well first off he is cooked, done, gone, career is over, at 22 years old.

now doing the time he now has done the crime to do, seems hes looking at 2 to 26 years maybe, unless they ran those two charge Concurrently. And in many States judges can and do run sentences, Concurrently, so you just do the time all together, one amount of time, Concurrent. Now some States im not sure about Nevada, can and will break those sentences up, which for Ruggs here might push him out to the Topside of that if its possible 26 years. Either way, hes done, at 22 years young now, I mean, for him hes the new Prisoner famous star Athlete from here on out, a shame, but truthfully and now realizing how much he made his friend dying the same exact way, and he memorialized him for that.

Now for Henry Ruggs to himself, made that Fatal here error, himself, he is done for here no doubt about it imo, and id expect the heaviest of sentences too, for the obvious reasons being so famous young etc etc, and so hell be in his 40s when he gets out, career and young life is now gone, and someone else is dead as a result. Whole thing is a real shame here RIP to the girl who died too, and had no clue.

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: he will get 4 years

Load Metric
    For the girl and dog, it's a morbid even thinking about this but hopefully dead on impact.

Anyone playing in Vegas or visiting teams should be forced to give their keys at the airport. 100% uber/Lyft/limos/personal drivers.

Likely only Druff would have been responsible enough in his 20's to be driving around in a supercar late at night. Most of us would have blown over the second our feet touched down in Vegas.......and some likely not legal to drive until they arrived back home.

Comments

garrett: legit lol'd... 'only Druff would have been responsible enough in his 20's to be driving around in a supercar late at night'

shoeshine box: 100% spot on uber/lyft,kick up keys

Load Metric
    This whole situation is a complete tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the victim and to the dog as well. Did whole thing reminds me of the Donte Stallworth case when he killed someone under the influence. Disgusting…

Here’s a portion of the clip from the accident from TMZ:

https://www.tmz.com/2021/11/04/henry...g-raiders-nfl/

If you watch this clip. It’s so screwed up that it’s beyond comprehension. Ruggs is crying on the ground knowing his career is over (but the babymama is claiming he’s unconscious smh…don’t get me started). There’s no excuse or reason why he should have been on the road that time of night highly impaired and with a loaded handgun on top of that. This is what happens when people think that are better and superior to everyone else. We have a huge problem with that in our society and I don’t know what it’s going to take for things of this nature to change.

Even more trifling…one of the witnesses in the video is telling law enforcement that the prick on the ground plays for the Raiders. He then goes off to the side and this dude is cracking up laughing while this poor woman and dog are burning up in the car not that far from him.

Name:  86EE1634-3F8C-47D0-8662-4099874299CA.png
Views: 189
Size:  1.23 MB

What a piece of shit. That trash should be exterminated from the face of the earth. This is the society we live in. People are more concerned about posting these types of situations on social media and not even making an effort to help anyone involved in the accident.

In regards to his punishment, Ruggs deserves the max and even more. I’m aware people make mistakes but this one mistake that he could have clearly avoided. There’s no logical reason why he did this.

If you are going to drink, please have a ride home or have someone drive for you. It’s not worth it.

Silver
    Load Metric

Drunk hit my mom causing some perm issues back in 1993.. All she was able to get was his shit insurance coverage total plus some from uninsured/underinsured from USAA on her policy... She had issues that lead to eventually needing back surgery several years later.. Still has neck issues which started after the wreck but shes mid 70s now.. I think her lawyer was a putz personally..
    did the guy go to jail?>

Thread Information