Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 134

Thread: Vanessa Kade apparently has COVID. When should she be allowed to play again?

  1. #1
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    7524
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    45,724
    Blog Entries
    2

    Vanessa Kade apparently has COVID. When should she be allowed to play again?

    It's fitting that Vanessa Kade, who has been a lightning rod for drama in the past year or so, is the first known poker pro to come down with COVID during the WSOP.

    https://twitter.com/#!/x/status/1454149409021644805


    She took an instant home test, which isn't as good as the usual PCR COVID tests, but it's still likely she actually has COVID, given the test results plus her symptoms.

    She is vaccinated, but it's not clear when she got the vaccine, and it's not clear which one she got. She's Canadian, so she may have gotten AstraZeneca, which is known to degrade like Pfizer does, but wasn't as good in the first place. However, she spends a lot of time in the US, so she might have gotten one of the US vaccines.

    Anyway, she plans to return for the Main Event, which has Day 1 from November 3-9. She could also enter Day 2CEF on Noevember 10, if she needs to wait that long. It is unclear which day she plans to play, but she seems to believe she can start playing again "10 days from onset of symptoms", based upon some safety guidance she found on the web.

    It is unclear what the WSOP is going to do about this. November 9, which is Day 1F, is 11 days from now. This guy seems to think that she needs to wait 14 days since her last positive test, which was today:

    https://twitter.com/#!/x/status/1454159634449772550


    I admit that it's unfair to people like Kristen Bicknell and Alex Foxen, who sat out the entire WSOP due to being unvaccinated, if people with ACTUAL COVID can sit down and play before it's completely safe. Surely it's safer to have an unvaccinated-but-apparently-healthy Bicknell next to you than someone like Kade who tested positive for COVID 7 days prior.

    Kade is not a huge name player like Hellmuth, but her profile has greatly increased in the past year, and the WSOP may not want to shut her out. At the same time, it might get people angry to see her at the table too soon, and it's unclear what Nevada law says about this.

    Personally I'd like to see, at the very miminum, a negative COVID test before she sits down. This is required in professional sports, by the way. What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    7524
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    45,724
    Blog Entries
    2
    This is nothing against Vanessa.

    She at least was honest enough to go public with this. Many scummy players would have just sat in their room, waited out the major symptoms to decline, and then sat down at the Main Event, regardless of contagiousness.

    Clearly she's trying to do the right thing by publicly making people aware of this (and that she probably played with them while contagious), but I think she's a bit delusional regarding her believe that it's obvious she can play the Main.

  3. #3
    “Based on some safety guidance she found on the web”?

    That doesn’t sound nearly as positive as saying “based on current CDC guidelines”

    Name:  E19DBDB2-504A-4B26-A7B5-38C6184E7318.jpeg
Views: 499
Size:  573.3 KB
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

  4. #4
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    7524
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    45,724
    Blog Entries
    2
    I didn't know those were CDC guidelines. She posted a screen shot which didn't have the CDC stuff on it.

    In any case, I don't like those guidelines. I really want to see a negative test here, and if they're going to shut out non-vaxxers from the series, they can shut out verified COVID cases with no negative test yet.

    Sucks for her if she misses the Main, but that's the way the (free KFC) cookie should crumble.

    It's not up to me, though. We will see what WSOP says about it.

     
    Comments
      
      Sloppy Joe: KFC cookie

  5. #5
    Yeah, I’m gonna go ahead and say a verified vaccinated individual whom is following the cdc recommendations for quarantining should not be excluded from play. She’d really be getting the short end of the (hot dog on a) stick if they treated her differently.

     
    Comments
      
      1marley1: Zing
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

  6. #6
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    7524
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    45,724
    Blog Entries
    2
    jsearles, your beloved KC Royals would not let Vanessa play baseball unless she showed up with a negative test. I believe the same is true about the Chiefs.

    I think it's very reasonable to require a person with verified symptomatic COVID to present a negative test before being able to return to any kind of competitive event. This is because others are involuntarily subjected to being with these people. It's not like being in the supermarket where you can just leave.

    If the WSOP is going to be very cautious and only allow vaxxed players to play, it makes even more sense for them to be equally cautious involving people with verified symptomatic COVID. The latter poses a far greater danger to the public than an unvaccinated healthy person does.

  7. #7
    Canadian vaccines are expected to degrade less because they had had significant delays between first and second shot which turned out to be a good thing.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    jsearles, your beloved KC Royals would not let Vanessa play baseball unless she showed up with a negative test. I believe the same is true about the Chiefs.

    I think it's very reasonable to require a person with verified symptomatic COVID to present a negative test before being able to return to any kind of competitive event. This is because others are involuntarily subjected to being with these people. It's not like being in the supermarket where you can just leave.

    If the WSOP is going to be very cautious and only allow vaxxed players to play, it makes even more sense for them to be equally cautious involving people with verified symptomatic COVID. The latter poses a far greater danger to the public than an unvaccinated healthy person does.
    Your “personal attacks” are odd. What does me liking the Royals have to do with this? Was it a veiled insult? I honestly don’t get it.

    You’re just plain wrong. Someone who had COVID ten days ago and has been asymptomatic does NOT pose a greater threat. It’s just like science man. I’d argue an unvaccinated “healthy” person is more of a threat than a vaccinated person 10+ days past COVID. That person now had double protection. And everything else is equal.

    But you like country music so clearly that’s cogent.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

  9. #9
    If you catch COVID too, do you get to fuck her?


  10. #10
    Will never understand why people would first get tested and then let people know they tested positive if not overly sick.

    Seems like some people like publicity, just move on with your life. No one stopped their life when they get a cold do they?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Will never understand why people would first get tested and then let people know they tested positive if not overly sick.

    Seems like some people like publicity, just move on with your life. No one stopped their life when they get a cold do they?




    This is virtue signaling at its finest. She wants you to know how highly moral and ethical she is by self-reporting her mild flu like symptoms.

    For this reason alone the rules should be strictly applied and she should not be allowed to enter the Main Event.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Will never understand why people would first get tested and then let people know they tested positive if not overly sick.
    So as to inform others who were around her that they may have been exposed. Decent people care about shit like that.

  13. #13
    She can comeback next year.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Will never understand why people would first get tested and then let people know they tested positive if not overly sick.
    So as to inform others who were around her that they may have been exposed. Decent people care about shit like that.
    And then what? Stop living their life in case they get it? Spoiler alert, we are all probably exposed to someone who has it each and every day if you are not hidden in a basement.

  15. #15
    Gold Kuntmissioner's Avatar
    Reputation
    382
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Savin Hill
    Posts
    1,274
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    So as to inform others who were around her that they may have been exposed. Decent people care about shit like that.
    And then what? Stop living their life in case they get it?
    Stop living?
    Histrionics much?

    Vanessa has let you know that if you sat at a table with her, you've been exposed. Get tested if you think Vanessa coughed on you, or do nothing if it doesn't bother you.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntmissioner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post

    And then what? Stop living their life in case they get it?
    Stop living?
    Histrionics much?

    Vanessa has let you know that if you sat at a table with her, you've been exposed. Get tested if you think Vanessa coughed on you, or do nothing if it doesn't bother you.
    Why get tested if not sick? Waste of taxpayers money. In fact, why get tested if you are sick? What are they going to do differently if they have it? We never ran to get tested in the past when sick. The nonsense showed at the peak when some states were doing 100,000 or more tests a week with a 5-7% positivity rate. Other than HC workers that were being tested as part of their job, who were these 90% of people getting tested for no reason other than being scared or a sniffle?

    This entire thing has made some people show they are just pussies.

  17. #17
    All Sorts of Sports gut's Avatar
    Reputation
    606
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,940
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntmissioner View Post

    Stop living?
    Histrionics much?

    Vanessa has let you know that if you sat at a table with her, you've been exposed. Get tested if you think Vanessa coughed on you, or do nothing if it doesn't bother you.
    Why get tested if not sick? Waste of taxpayers money. In fact, why get tested if you are sick? What are they going to do differently if they have it? We never ran to get tested in the past when sick. The nonsense showed at the peak when some states were doing 100,000 or more tests a week with a 5-7% positivity rate. Other than HC workers that were being tested as part of their job, who were these 90% of people getting tested for no reason other than being scared or a sniffle?

    This entire thing has made some people show they are just pussies.
    Well, for a lot of blue-collar workers, you would have to verify that your mild symptoms are covid to be able to take 2 weeks off with pay. I'm sure plenty of people got the sniffles and went and got tested, just in case. Not necessarily because they are trying to get two weeks off, but like Crowe was saying, because they are decent people.

    I think Wrenchjockey mentioned having to go through this on here.

    People getting tested when not sick was pretty much a white-collar thing/front line workers. Athletes were being tested every day. Most of these people had no choice. Think of, if you live in a state with an NFL team....then think about the entirety of the staff at their facilities. Every day, in 2020, probably around 300+ people getting tested, and normally all negative. Those add up with the total numbers.

    As a blue-collar myself, I can say I have never been tested, never been sick since March 2020. Almost everyone else I know in my work has been the same, only people who got sick got tested.

    I'm sure there are a fair amount of hypochondriac Karen's out there who got seasonal allergies and ran to get tested....but that % of the total number of tests is quite small, I would imagine.
    Last edited by gut; 10-30-2021 at 09:11 AM.

  18. #18
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    7524
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    45,724
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    jsearles, your beloved KC Royals would not let Vanessa play baseball unless she showed up with a negative test. I believe the same is true about the Chiefs.

    I think it's very reasonable to require a person with verified symptomatic COVID to present a negative test before being able to return to any kind of competitive event. This is because others are involuntarily subjected to being with these people. It's not like being in the supermarket where you can just leave.

    If the WSOP is going to be very cautious and only allow vaxxed players to play, it makes even more sense for them to be equally cautious involving people with verified symptomatic COVID. The latter poses a far greater danger to the public than an unvaccinated healthy person does.
    Your “personal attacks” are odd. What does me liking the Royals have to do with this? Was it a veiled insult? I honestly don’t get it.

    You’re just plain wrong. Someone who had COVID ten days ago and has been asymptomatic does NOT pose a greater threat. It’s just like science man. I’d argue an unvaccinated “healthy” person is more of a threat than a vaccinated person 10+ days past COVID. That person now had double protection. And everything else is equal.

    But you like country music so clearly that’s cogent.
    Who says mentioning the Royals is a personal attack? Paranoid much?

    You are a complete moron if you think that a person who first noticed COVID symptoms 10 days ago AND is still testing positive is "not a greater threat" than an apparently healthy unvaccinated person. That's just pure insanity.

    Let me explain how the CDC arrived at 10 days (which is actually more than just waiting 10 days -- it's 10 days PLUS no fever PLUS waning symptoms).

    They can't tell people to hide in their houses indefinitely. So they have to come up with some sort of best-guess which allows people with COVID to feel comfortable returning to society. Ideally, a negative test result would do that, but not everyone has easy access to such tests, and even if they do, the wait can be up to 5 days to receive results. So for people who can't test or don't want to test, they want to give them a quick-and-easy guideline for when it's mostly safe to go back.

    That doesn't mean you're not contagious 10 days after symptoms start. It means that, in their opinion from what limited data they have, someone with waning symptoms and no fever is probably not transmitting much 10 days after first onset. However, everyone is different regarding COVID spread (some are superspreaders, some don't transmit at all), and COVID transmission is still poorly understood.

    This is why the major sports leagues (dare I mention the Royals?) require a NEGATIVE COVID TEST to return to play, because that's the safest and most sensible way to go about it.

    Now, if you want to say you'd feel comfortable around a person with COVID 10 days after symptoms start, that's on you. However, you are absolutely insane to claim that such a person is safer to be around than an unvaccinated healthy person.

    The WSOP should require anyone with a positive COVID diagnosis to test negative before returning. Period.

    Will they? Who knows?

    The biggest question, actually, is whether they will enforce what appears to be their 14-day rule on Vanessa. If they do, she can't play the Main.

  19. #19
    Gold Kuntmissioner's Avatar
    Reputation
    382
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Savin Hill
    Posts
    1,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

    Personally I'd like to see, at the very miminum, a negative COVID test before she sits down. This is required in professional sports, by the way. What do you guys think?
    I think a negative test is reasonable in order to return to WSOP play following a positive test.


    It's not just standard for athletes. I work in the construction industry (commercial and heavy), and a positive covid test is treated exactly the same way. After testing positive, no worker can return until a negative test. Also, any exposed worker is tested. I've been potentially exposed and tested twice, and negative both times.

    Testing is paid for by employers, although I'm not sure I'd expect the WSOP to pay for any testing. That's on Cade.

  20. #20
    Gold Kuntmissioner's Avatar
    Reputation
    382
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Savin Hill
    Posts
    1,274
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntmissioner View Post

    Stop living?
    Histrionics much?

    Vanessa has let you know that if you sat at a table with her, you've been exposed. Get tested if you think Vanessa coughed on you, or do nothing if it doesn't bother you.
    Why get tested if not sick? Waste of taxpayers money. In fact, why get tested if you are sick? What are they going to do differently if they have it? We never ran to get tested in the past when sick. The nonsense showed at the peak when some states were doing 100,000 or more tests a week with a 5-7% positivity rate. Other than HC workers that were being tested as part of their job, who were these 90% of people getting tested for no reason other than being scared or a sniffle?

    This entire thing has made some people show they are just pussies.
    Get tested if you feel you've been exposed, or don't. Bring it home to your family. IDGAF

    Taxpayers shouldn't be billed for any test Cade takes, or any players at the table.

    The rest is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

    Many employers are testing to keep their employees safe. You seem to have a very limited point of view.

     
    Comments
      
      Crowe Diddly: very limited rep

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 134
    Last Post: 09-22-2021, 07:08 AM
  2. Help Vanessa Kade find love in poker!
    By Dan Druff in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-06-2021, 09:38 AM
  3. Apparently COVID is now delaying Radio by 2 days ;)
    By ftpjesus in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2020, 08:29 PM
  4. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-13-2019, 08:23 AM