View Poll Results: What would you do in this situation?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Attempt to reach the owner and find out what's going on

3 11.11%
  • Your business isn't appreciated/wanted -- quit going

2 7.41%
  • Quit going AND write bad Yelp review

1 3.70%
  • Just pay the extra $8 each time for the substitution and swallow your pride

18 66.67%
  • Just quit the substitution entirely and swallow your pride

1 3.70%
  • Don't know / don't care

2 7.41%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jew Make the Call: Revoked Substitution Edition

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    There are two really bizarre elements to this whole thing:

1) Why the sudden reversal of allowing this minor substitution, after being allowed to do it for all these years?

2) How come the constant flip-flopping regarding the rule change? In May 2021 I was first told this couldn't be done, but they called the owner, and he allowed it, remembering me from before. But then four other times since then, they've again gone back to saying the owner revoked that offer to me, only to call him (at my request) and he gives permission again. Why isn't he giving an absolute yes or absolute no?

I have three theories as to what's going on here:

THEORY #1: The owner isn't being called at all, and the low-end workers are lying to me

This isn't as crazy as it sounds. The salad and rice are given with every plate, and it's easy to scoop that out. The fries are a less common item there, and usually need to be put into the fryer and made fresh. It's possible that the cook is sick of doing this because he's lazy, and they've concocted a story there to tell me that the owner won't do the deal anymore. When I ask them to call the owner, they realize they're fucked if they continue lying, so they "call" him and get his permission, and "he" always says yes. I never hear an actual voice on the other end, so it's possible they're talking to air. This would explain why the answer keeps wavering from "the owner said never again" to the owner saying it's okay when he's "called".

THEORY #2: The cook and the owner are at odds about this matter, and the owner is wishy-washy

This is similar to Theory #1, except in this case the owner is really being consulted. It's possible that the cook complained to the owner about this asshole tall middle-aged Jew who keeps coming in and saying he's allowed to do free french fries substitutions. The cook tells the owner that cooking the fries is a pain in the ass, and it's slowing them down with cooking everything else. The cook says that if this is eliminated, the cheap Jew will probably stop getting the fries due to the upcharge, and tihngs will get easier again. The owner initially says okay, but then he's too afraid to lose the cheap Jew's consistent business, so he backs down when called. Then the cook gets irritated and again asks him to stop allowing this. Owner once again agrees, only to back away from it when he's called at the request of the customer. Rinse and repeat. Cook is entrenched in the job and doesn't really want to leave (especially because there's no boss on premises watching him), so he can't bring himself to quit over this.

THEORY #3: The owner simply can't make up his mind

He keeps wanting to end this fries substitution, and tells his staff to stop allowing it. However, when he's called at home and put on the spot, he can't bring himself to say no and drive the customer away.

I think I know how to reach the owner at their other location, so I might get the answer shortly. I'm very curious.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Are you sure you fully recovered from the REDACTED pyramid participation dustup? Asking for a friend.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    There are two really bizarre elements to this whole thing:

1) Why the sudden reversal of allowing this minor substitution, after being allowed to do it for all these years?

2) How come the constant flip-flopping regarding the rule change? In May 2021 I was first told this couldn't be done, but they called the owner, and he allowed it, remembering me from before. But then four other times since then, they've again gone back to saying the owner revoked that offer to me, only to call him (at my request) and he gives permission again. Why isn't he giving an absolute yes or absolute no?

I have three theories as to what's going on here:

THEORY #1: The owner isn't being called at all, and the low-end workers are lying to me

This isn't as crazy as it sounds. The salad and rice are given with every plate, and it's easy to scoop that out. The fries are a less common item there, and usually need to be put into the frier and made fresh. It's possible that the cook is sick of doing this because he's lazy, and they've concocted a story there to tell me that the owner won't do the deal anymore. When I ask them to call the owner, they realize they're fucked if they continue lying, so they "call" him and get his permission, and "he" always says yes. I never hear an actual voice on the other end, so it's possible they're talking to air. This would explain why the answer is keeps wavering from "the owner said never again" to the owner saying it's okay when he's "called".

THEORY #2: The cook and the owner are at odds about this matter, and the owner is wishy-washy

This is similar to Theory #1, except in this case the owner is really being consulted. It's possible that the cook complained to the owner about this asshole tall middle-aged Jew who keeps coming in and saying he's allowed to do free french fries substitutions. The cook tells the owner that cooking the fries is a pain in the ass, and it's slowing them down with cooking everything else. The cook says that if this is eliminated, the cheap Jew will probably stop getting the fries due to the upcharge, and tihngs will get easier again. The owner initially says okay, but then he's too afraid to lose the cheap Jew's consistent business, so he backs down when called. Then the cook gets irritated and again asks him to stop allowing this. Owner once again agrees, only to back away from it when he's called at the request of the customer. Rinse and repeat. Cook is entrenched in the job and doesn't really want to leave (especially because there's no boss on premises watching him), so he can't bring himself to quit over this.

THEORY #3: The owner simply can't make up his mind

He keeps wanting to end this fries substitution, and tells his staff to stop allowing it. However, when he's called at home and put on the spot, he can't bring himself to say no and drive the customer away.

I think I know how to reach the owner at their other location, so I might get the answer shortly. I'm very curious.
    Theory 4: The owner has been through hell the past 18 months trying to make a living, and the last thing he wants to think about is the jew asking for free fry substitution. The staff doesn't give a fuck either way.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Theory 4: The owner has been through hell the past 18 months trying to make a living, and the last thing he wants to think about is the jew asking for free fry substitution. The staff doesn't give a fuck either way.
    If the owner has been struggling, shouldn't he want to keep each and every customer? The fries substitution is trivial and doesn't cost him any real money. Losing me as a customer would.

Only the Soup Nazi (and businesses like the Soup Nazi) can afford to drive people away, because they're already busting at the seams capacity-wise. Otherwise, they're throwing money away by driving off a regular customer over frivolous bullshit.

Load Metric
    Am I correct to assume this is a gyro place? My local gyro place also has fries as a substitute. Their fries happen to be amazing. They are breaded and always piping hot. I believe adding as a side (no sub allowed) cost $3.99. Same charge for dolma or baba ganoush.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    If the owner has been struggling, shouldn't he want to keep each and every customer? The fries substitution is trivial and doesn't cost him any real money. Losing me as a customer would.

Only the Soup Nazi (and businesses like the Soup Nazi) can afford to drive people away, because they're already busting at the seams capacity-wise. Otherwise, they're throwing money away by driving off a regular customer over frivolous bullshit.
    Assuming that MOST people will pay extra for the substitution if they really want it, he’s far more likely to generate extra revenue by uniformly applying the rule to ALL customers versus teach the staff that he plays favorites with SOME of the customers. That latter approach is likely to encourage the staff to be less disciplined with order pricing with other customers, such their friends and other people they like, resulting in revenue losses that far exceed the revenue the business retains from your continued patronizing of the business because of your $8 friend-of-the-owner substitution-fee waiver.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    So it would be my guess that back when the owner was working the restaurant and you were told, “It’s against our policy, but I will do it for you”, this is probably what he told EVERY customer that asked for a substitution even though it may have actually been his intended policy from the beginning to have an up charge for substitutions. Since he was a new business at the time, he probably felt silly enforcing the extra $4 to sub items when it came down to it and quickly realized it’s good for customer appreciation to say, “Its against our policy, but I will do it for you”, making the customer feel valid.

The question is now that he is working his 2nd store, why would he tell his Staff, “No more free substitutions?”.
    I personally don’t think it has anything to do with the kitchen staff. It’s not really that much of an inconvenience as the fries are likely pre-portioned in single servings in the freezer then dropped in the fryer. I just can’t see it being a huge issue with the cook.

I believe when he first opened store #1, he would do everything he can to earn and keep customers. Now that he has 2 stores, he may have went “Over the numbers” and realized he did an average of 300 substitutions per month per store for 600 uncharged substitutes. At $4, that’s $2400 monthly he’s losing out on.

Overtime he realized that people will pay the upcharge vs. a very small percentage walking out. I think the poll above supports this. He tells his staff “No subs without charging up charge”. Most customer except it and pay the difference.

When the employee calls the owner upon Druffs request, He remembers Druff as a long time customer with a large order ($60), at that point he tells the employee to do it. It’s likely a case by case basis, and very few people would call the owner or throw a fit. At that point the owner makes a “business decision” and gives Druff the free substitution.

Gold
    Load Metric
    I think we've all learned a thing or two from Druff and his relentless pursuit of fairness and bargains. To create this much hassle for a low wage worker over fries would concern me especially if I was also not a generous tipper. I definitely would not go to the extent of having the owner contacted multiple times for a fries substitution. If your GF likes salad and rice why not just get it for her and add on the fries? I don't like the idea of making myself a nuisance to low wage workers who also handle my food. If I felt that strongly about having these fries instead of the salad I would probably make it a point to leave a good tip each time to compensate for the hassle to make sure nothing out of the ordinary happened to the food.

Load Metric
    If you stop going to a place for 15 months (regardless of reason) I don't believe you're entitled to the same deals.

As you build up loyalty again then I would ask for benefits. Give it 3-6 months then ask for the free substitution.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    Druff, something tells me that you were not thankful enough nor did you leave tip enough to make yourself memorable to the wait staff

so they forgot you
    excellent point.

Bronze
    Load Metric

i havent heard what the side is but most customers probably want fries and wouldn't think twice about paying for them. You say its not costing him but every time you ask for a sub you are taking away profit now multiple that by x amount of times you visit ... prob 100 + bucks year.

Load Metric
    Just to be clear, we are nearly 3 pages in with a poll that in a landslide says just pay the $8. Druff will be by shortly to tell the majority they are wrong. We’ve seen this thread numerous times. Let the aspie have his fun. Frankly it’s troubling. No wonder you have anxiety issues Druff……
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric

Seriously? The customer is not always right, and the margins in the food business are thin, so losing $60 a month means he is out like 10 or 15 bucks, he would not give a shit. I see on menus all the time, 'no substitutions'. It is pretty standard so you don't wear out staff with specialty orders and the owner can order things in advance properly. Imagine walking into McDonalds and asking to swap out fries with your value meal with a milkshake. You'd get a blank stare. Every Mom and Pop I go to there is an upcharge when you want to swap things out. You keep harassing staff over $4, one day you are going to be halfway through your meal and find a big Covid-19 lougie in your pot roast.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by country978 View Post
    I think we've all learned a thing or two from Druff and his relentless pursuit of fairness and bargains. To create this much hassle for a low wage worker over fries would concern me especially if I was also not a generous tipper. I definitely would not go to the extent of having the owner contacted multiple times for a fries substitution. If your GF likes salad and rice why not just get it for her and add on the fries? I don't like the idea of making myself a nuisance to low wage workers who also handle my food. If I felt that strongly about having these fries instead of the salad I would probably make it a point to leave a good tip each time to compensate for the hassle to make sure nothing out of the ordinary happened to the food.
    He's no doubt ingested gallons of bodily fluids from these situations over the years. This isn't fair, but when some entitled piece of shit customer makes you do shit like call a manager over a fucking $4 substitution when you're making minimum wage it must feel good to spit on that food, or worse.

Would definitely pull back on low wage worker harassment during a pandemic when people are even more touchy. Shut the fuck up and pay or expect to ingest some AIDS.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by country978 View Post
    He's no doubt ingested gallons of bodily fluids from these situations over the years. This isn't fair, but when some entitled piece of shit customer makes you do shit like call a manager over a fucking $4 substitution when you're making minimum wage it must feel good to spit on that food, or worse.

Would definitely pull back on low wage worker harassment during a pandemic when people are even more touchy. Shut the fuck up and pay or expect to ingest some AIDS.
    Look at it from the owner’s perspective: Covid killed me and no one wants to work anymore. The price is the price. I need to make a profit. And I’m sure you’re not exactly customer of the year, Karen.

Load Metric

This is perhaps the most outlandish theory possible. It's french fries, literally nobody gives a fuck but you and the owner. Certainly not the kitchen help. They make what the order says, how much it costs you or how you came to order it means absolutely nothing to them. You could be getting it free or paying double and they still wouldn't give a fuck either way.

I appreciate the attempt to come up with reasons, but this one doesn't track, at all. Not for fries.
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 10-20-2021 at 11:36 AM.

Load Metric
    When an establishment makes a ‘dinner’ combo it is precisely to get you to buy shit you wouldn’t normally buy.

They probably throw away a shit ton of lettuce and rice every day. Hence the combo with rice and lettuce included. Fries can sit in freezer forever, every fry you order needs to be rebought.

If the dinner combo doesn’t contain what you like, there’s a fucking reason for that.

Shut the fuck up. Order off the menu like every other motherfucker not bothering the owner over $8. And no, your $60/month order with a side of pain in the ass don’t mean a fucking thing to this guy bustin his ass trying to run a business.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 1marley1 View Post
    When an establishment makes a ‘dinner’ combo it is precisely to get you to buy shit you wouldn’t normally buy.

They probably throw away a shit ton of lettuce and rice every day. Hence the combo with rice and lettuce included. Fries can sit in freezer forever, every fry you order needs to be rebought.

If the dinner combo doesn’t contain what you like, there’s a fucking reason for that.

Shut the fuck up. Order off the menu like every other motherfucker not bothering the owner over $8. And no, your $60/month order with a side of pain in the ass don’t mean a fucking thing to this guy bustin his ass trying to run a business.
    LOL, that $60 a month is like $15 profit, like any owner will sweat that. What 50 year old adult religiously eats french fries with dinner anyway? I have like 10 orders of fries a year, and it's always with lunch and I eat half of them.

True story on DD radio like 12 years ago, Druff was commenting Micon and team were laughing at him when he was eating McDonalds on radio and opened up like 10 packs of ketchup on his wrapper. He was like what I like Ketchup, he did not get it. I mean when you are an adult you really should not be acting like a 14 year old.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    UPDATE

First off, I'm disappointed that so many people made this about the right of the owner to do an $8 upcharge or ending the substitution for me. Neither of those is very interesting, especially after a 15-month disappearance on my part during COVID.

The interesting part of this story is the fact that they DID give permission to do this substitution again in May, then supposedly revoked it about a month later, but then allowed it whenever I had the workers call the owner and ask. So the big question was WHY this was happening. If the owner was not going to allow it anymore (say, because prices went up for them to acquire food), then the answer should have been, "We're not going to do it anymore", not the once-a-month dance of "Owner said you can't do this anymore" followed by "Owner says it's okay."

As I mentioned, I was even wondering if they were actually told to stop or even calling the owner, or if this was all a lie being told by lazy employees.

Anyway, I was able to reach the owner.

You know my three theories I posted earlier, as to what was happening?

None of them were correct.

There are two owners here -- a husband and wife. They are both actively involved. I reached the husband, but it was at noon and the lunch hour was going, and he was very busy. He politely asked me to call his wife at the location where I usually go, so I did. I have dealt with both of them before and they've always been very nice.

She remembered me right away and gave me her personal cell number to call her, and she stepped outside to talk to me.

She told me a long story how it's very tough to get good employees nowadays in the COVID era at a place like this (which I know to be very true), and that she's had to tolerate a ton of fail and stupid things happening. She said that the employees were having a very hard time with the concept of, "Allow Todd to do his fries substitution, but don't deviate from the rules for anyone else."

So what was happening was that they'd give permission to do my fries substitution, and those employees would get confused and believe all substitutions were allowed. So then they'd tell that employee this substitution exception was just for me, and not for everyone else. Then these employees came to believe that anyone who claimed "the owner said it was okay" should be believed, and last week some asshole made up a story that the "owner said to give 2 extra sandwiches because we had a problem last time", and the dummy did it. So then they told the guy not to just believe anyone who claims "the owner said", so the next time when I said that, I was told no.

Shit like that has been happening repeatedly, and they've found that none of the employees have the basic critical thinking skills to understand that one guy getting permission for something means only that one guy and nobody else. And whenever thsee employees fuck up and allow things they're not supposed to and get in trouble for it, they overcorrect and tell me they can't bend the rules.

You might think this sounds like face-saving bullshit because the owner didn't want to admit she had told them to stop allowing this for me. However, I believe her for several reasons:

1) She sounded very sincere and spent a long time telling me detailed stories of fail there and how frustrating it's been for her -- lots of things unrelated to my situation. If this was a bullshit story to cover up the truth, she deserves an Oscar for the performance.

2) She was very nice throughout the call, and it sounded genuine nice, as opposed to phony/polite nice.

3) Recall that she gave me her personal cell number right off the bat, without my asking. Not something one would do for a customer you want to get rid of, or who you're afraid of bothering you too much in the future.

The solution? She said that she would write down my name on a piece of paper near the cash register, and instruct the emlpoyees always to do the fries substitution for me only. She said to call her personal cell number if there's any fail.

She initially offered that I could just call her cell in advance of each time I visit (!!), but I said I didn't want to bother her, and I'd be totally fine if they just put some kind of note for the employees regarding my exception. So that's what is being done.

I do want to address one other thing. Some people believe I should be afraid of a "lugey sandwich" because of all this. Remember that this is a takeout place. It's also the type of place where everything is cooked in plain sight. So provided I order in the store, there's not going to be any of that going on. I suppose it's possible if I place a phone order (which I've only done once this year) that they could fuck with the food while I'm not present, but I can just avoid doing phone orders if I feel concerned about it.

I will say that the vibe I got there was one of legit confusion, not disdain. I did think it was possible the cook was resentful for having to make the fries and was just telling everyone to lie to me, but now that I found out that's not the case, I'm no longer worried about it. Basically these are poor quality pandemic-era employees who fuck up the simplest things and aren't good with the concept of exceptions, so that's where the fail has been. Since there will be a note I can tell them to look at near the register, that should answer it going forward.

This is a good example of why contacting the owner is usually the best solution when baffling problems arise at a small business. You can get right to the root of what's going on, and make a better informed decision going forward about what to do. I'm surprised that so few people chose that option, as I thought that was the very clear next step.

In this case, it is obvious the owners appreciate my business, and I also like the food there. I shall continue going.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    One more important detail I left out.

Near the end of the call, she said, "We don't allow substitutons but we know you. You've come in since the beginning, there's a relationship here, there's a level of trust on both ends."

Correct.

I wish hutmaster were in this thread to comment. As far as I know, he's the only poster here who owns a restaurant. He has explained over and over how costly it is to alienate regular customers, and that doing so is a huge mistake for this type of business. Reliable, satisfied, long-term, once-a-week $60 customers are incredibly valuable. Why?

- Predictable income from them. Your goal is to string together a good number of these people, and you'll experience a lot less low-end variance.

- Good word-of-mouth and good reviews. It's not just about my $60/week. What if I tell my neighbors and friends in the community that I like the place? What if I post 5 star reviews on Yelp-type sites? What if I cite this place when people ask me which place I enjoy for that type of food? What if I do social-media check-ins ? It's almost like free marketing to have a neighborhood customer who is a regular.

- Less money/work needed to acquire new customers. Mom-and-pop restaurants in non-touristy areas are constantly having to spend money to replace former regular customers who stop coming for whatever reason. The less this happens, the less advertising/marketing is needed.

Now look at the flip side of this. If you piss off a longtime customer and he quits coming, it's worse than him just forgetting you exist. He might post bad reviews. He might tell his friends and family that he recommends they stay away. He might give people in the community an earful whenever the name of your business comes up. And when people ask him for recommendations in the future, he will probably start recommending the competition, where he's likely to move his patronage!

Keeping a good customer has exponential potential positive results (what if I bring in 5 other regulars, who also end up bringing in new people), and losing one has exponential potential negative results (think the reverse).

This is most true for small, local service businesses. It's much less true for, say, Carl's Jr. in Barstow, which I pass on the way to Vegas. I'm not a Barstow local, so my number of potential visits is low. I can't influence Barstow locals. I can't sully the Carl's Jr name in general, because it's a huge brand. So if Carl's Jr in Barstow drves me away, it has little impact.

In this thread, there are a lot of non-service-business-owners who don't understand at all the importance of customer retention, especially at mom-and-pop places which can't count on brand recognition to drive in new traffic.

I also see a lot of stupid comments about my lack of right to set personal expectations for how businesses treat me. Bullshit! I have a right to set whatever expectations I want for places where I spend my money. Just as they can make their own rules and refuse to serve me, I can make my own personal rules and refuse to patronize them. It's a two way street. If I feel my business isn't being appreciated, then I take it elsewhere. It's self-correcting on both sides. If I am too much of an asshole, I will run out of places to go, and will have to moderate my behavior. If the business is too difficult with customers, they will fail and disappear. I've seen the latter many times.

If you think running out a regular $60/week customer just costs you the gross profit from him per week, then you know nothing about service-related small business.

Load Metric
    Face saving bullshit? Ironic you chose that phrase I’d say.

Quote Originally Posted by sizzler
    Druff will be by shortly to tell the majority they are wrong. We’ve seen this thread numerous times. Let the aspie have his fun. Frankly it’s troubling. No wonder you have anxiety issues Druff……

Comments

Jayjami: He’s so predictable

Thread Information