View Poll Results: What would you do in this situation?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Attempt to reach the owner and find out what's going on

    3 11.11%
  • Your business isn't appreciated/wanted -- quit going

    2 7.41%
  • Quit going AND write bad Yelp review

    1 3.70%
  • Just pay the extra $8 each time for the substitution and swallow your pride

    18 66.67%
  • Just quit the substitution entirely and swallow your pride

    1 3.70%
  • Don't know / don't care

    2 7.41%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70

Thread: Jew Make the Call: Revoked Substitution Edition

  1. #1
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    7269
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44,985
    Blog Entries
    2

    Jew Make the Call: Revoked Substitution Edition

    Situation:

    A takeout place opened in 2017. It was a single-location, family owned place, and you gave it a shot from almost day one.

    Originally, the owners themselves worked there. When you found that one of the "plates" you liked had side items which didn't appeal to you, you asked if you could substitute it for fries. The owner said that it's normally against the policy, but he'd do it for you. You clarified that he would also do it going forward, and he said yes. You placed a fairly expensive takeout order (almost $60 each time), so the substitution was inconsequential, and he was happy to have the regular business.

    The owners worked there through early 2020, when the pandemic hit. You were still a regular customer by that point, still with the same substitution "exception" allowed by the owner. You had no issues there and never complained or asked for anything free. However, once COVID hit, you stopped doing takeout for 15 months. They were also closed for a short time, as well.

    By the time you went back in 2021, things had changed. They had a second location, and the owner worked at neither anymore. Of course, none of the employees there knew you, so you were told you couldn't substitute anything. Upon telling them about the deal from the owner, they would call the owner to check, who would say yes, and that would be that.

    Or so you thought. Every month or so, this would happen again. You'd be told that "the owner said not to do it anymore", but then they'd call him to double-check, and he'd always say to go ahead and do it. This has happened like 5 times since May.

    The workers there can't rationally explain how this keeps happening. If the owner is telling them to stop allowing it for you, why does he change his mind every time he gets a call asking if it's okay? Why isn't it a hard yes or hard no going forward?

    There is no longer a manager at this location. It's all low-end workers who are not empowered to make decisions, and the owner directs them remotely.

    The normal upcharge for the fries is otherwise $4, and it's done on two of the plates, for a total of $8 + tax. Not a huge amount of money, but it's the principle of the matter of being allowed to do it for over 3 years, and then suddenly being told you can't anymore, for no good reason. This would be understandable if it were a rule handed down by big corporate, but in a mom-and-pop place, it smacks of not appreciating the customer's business.

    Once again, keep in mind that you've never had any incidents demanding free or replaced food in all the years going there. The only anomaly is this substitution, which isn't hard to do.

    It should also be noted that this place isn't that busy, and there's never a line behind you when you order, so it's not a matter of holding up the line when explaining the substitution, or anything like that.

    You do like the food a lot, but you feel that a takeout place with mediocre foot traffic shouldn't be acting all Soup Nazi on you, especially after having agreed to something for so long.

    What would you do here?

    JEW make the call!

    Please no trolling or junk posts in this thead.

  2. #2
    I’d pay the $8 but then screw them on the tip.

     
    Comments
      
      shoeshine box: thx.
      
      1marley1: L o fucking l at Druff tipping for takeout.

  3. #3
    Gold Jayjami's Avatar
    Reputation
    599
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,005
    No soup for Druff.


     
    Comments
      
      Walter Sobchak: SIX MONTHS
      
      MumblesBadly: :this

  4. #4
    It's clear you are trying to substitute vegetables for fries, which after the lessons of Covid you should realize a lifetime of grease is not positive.

    But I do it in reverse, when I get a burger and a local place I ask to substitute the fries for a salad. There is always a $2.99 upcharge and I would never think to bother the owner or manager for an exception to the bill because I have been there before. I mean, I just never would have thought like that.

    I actually went to a Mom and Pops the other day for lunch. There was a middle aged couple in there ordering a kids burger and fries, they each got one. The bill was like $9 total, when they sat down they were bragging to each other how they could get lunch every week at such a nice place for $9. Obviously the owner heard it because he was taking the orders and I just laughed and made the comment how pathetic that couple was. He smirked and said when they come in next week unless they have a kid with them, they will not get to order a kid's meal, and if they complain he will tell them to leave.

    I am not sure why people think they get some special privileges for simply eating, always amazes me.

  5. #5
    NO MORE FRIES FOR YOU
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"

  6. #6
    Canadrunk limitles's Avatar
    Reputation
    1515
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In Todd's head
    Posts
    14,913
    You're a Jew, you're a Muslim, you're a Catholic, who gives a shit.
    However you identify yourself you are wrong and fucked up
    unbounded
    Never Forget



  7. #7
    Pay the $8, additional sides make good additional meals.

    They don't give a fuck about losing a difficult customer, so stop wasting energy.

     
    Comments
      
      MumblesBadly: :this
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

  8. #8
    really tho whats the plates you were ordering and whats the item you are substituting for fries?

    the fact you are doing this on 2 plates makes it obv you are just trying it on to save a couple $$ and get free fries

    anyway it seems like you had a good run of getting lots of free fries and if the food is that good just get whatever sides are allowed and pay for a large order of fries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"

  9. #9
    Why are you so entitled? Be happy it was allowed for so long. Be appreciative. Understand businesses are struggling. Get over it. Then fuck off.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

  10. #10
    Canadrunk limitles's Avatar
    Reputation
    1515
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In Todd's head
    Posts
    14,913
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    Why are you so entitled? Be happy it was allowed for so long. Be appreciative. Understand businesses are struggling. Get over it. Then fuck off.
    I don't care who you are talking to , you are wrong and ignorant
    unbounded
    Never Forget



  11. #11
    also if the food is really good like you say then any normal person would pay the extra $8 each time for the substitution or buy and extra side of fries there certainly wouldnt be any swallowing your pride as you suggest in the poll

    who knows the sides might be good too and you end up liking them sounds like you had 4 years of ordering the exact same thing from there maybe this is a sign its time to mix it up a bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"

  12. #12
    hmm.

    What is their sliced tomato policy?

  13. #13
    For a steady $60 per order customer, you need to give him a politely understated ultimatum: no free fries substitution, no more orders. Be willing to walk. It sounds like you're dropping more than $1000 per year there. If he doesn't value that, lose him.

  14. #14
    Bronze
    Reputation
    27
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    156
    Just place your order like usual and if they say no substitutes politely bring up the fact you have been over it x amount of times even calling the owner at home ... you love the food but you don't want to keep doing this over and over. If they say no just walk out. 100% of customers either pay or keep the sides. Actually walking out sends a message. After a month passes do the same. Yes I realize the workers don't give a fuck but I bet it gets back to the owner that people are walking out. Or I could be completely wrong and you're wasting your time.

    id also be very concerned that they recognize you as THE SIDE GUY and fuck with your food. So do you want that in the back of your head every time you visit?

    It is what it is ... I would'nt say you're wrong for asking but having to call the owner is over the top. Other option is just say ok ill pay this time and please check with owner for next time. I prefer the walk out option.

    On another side note : today the Dunkin Drive-thru told the wifey she had to come in to get her drink, even though there was no backup in drive-thru. She went in and there was her drink ... on the counter 10 feet from the drive-thu window and TWO workers present. My advice was to throw it at him for making her come in BS. I tend to resort to violence in this situations so .. don't always take my advice.

  15. #15
    Druff, something tells me that you were not thankful enough nor did you leave tip enough to make yourself memorable to the wait staff

    so they forgot you
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    You're a Jew, you're a Muslim, you're a Catholic, who gives a shit.
    However you identify yourself you are wrong and fucked up
    You calling Druff fucked up is so you… Pot meet monster sized kettle of wrong and FUBAR.

  17. #17
    100% Organic MumblesBadly's Avatar
    Reputation
    84
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    In the many threads of this forum
    Posts
    8,995
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    Druff, something tells me that you were not thankful enough nor did you leave tip enough to make yourself memorable to the wait staff

    so they forgot you
    If Druff had made an effort during that 15-month stretch to patronize that business instead of essentially saying “Tough noogies if you go bankrupt because I stopped my regular $60 food orders”, perhaps the non-owner staff would have carried on giving Druff preferential treatment.
    _____________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

  18. #18
    All Sorts of Sports gut's Avatar
    Reputation
    589
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,876
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    Druff, something tells me that you were not thankful enough nor did you leave tip enough to make yourself memorable to the wait staff

    so they forgot you
    If Druff had made an effort during that 15-month stretch to patronize that business instead of essentially saying “Tough noogies if you go bankrupt because I stopped my regular $60 food orders”, perhaps the non-owner staff would have carried on giving Druff preferential treatment.
    This actually is a good point. Can't stop being a regular and then expect a whole new staff to know who you are.

    The business changed on you during pandemic, and you were too scared to keep going there. Thats kind of on you now.

    Now, more than ever, that owner could probably use that $8.

  19. #19
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    7269
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44,985
    Blog Entries
    2
    Some answers to the above posts, and some more info...

    The fries substitution is for rice and salad. I have never been a salad guy, and I don't like rice. So it's not a matter of just trying something new and possibily liking it. My girlfriend likes rice and salad, hence that's why her plate doesn't get the fries. However, we don't need extra, nor does anyone want to bother saving rice or a side salad to eat later. Anyway, the point I'm making is that this isn't an unfair substitution, and similar takeout restaurants have all done this substitution without an upcharge in the past. For whatever reason this one normally won't do it, but the owner made the exception for me shortly after the business opened, because he wanted to keep a potential regular customer coming back. With that said, had he refused, I would have been less bothered, because then it would be a matter of policy, and not yanking away something previously given to me. I feel like my loyalty is getting a big middle finger at this point, since this substitution is trivial regarding cost of ingredients.

    Mumbles suggested that perhaps the business owner is bitter that I abandoned them for 15 months during the pandemic. Maybe? But clearly my return upon getting vaccinated shows that I was only staying away due to COVD concerns, and not due to any callousness about them.

    jsearles said I was "entitled". Incorrect. Neither side is entitled to anything from the other. It's a business relationship, and part of that business relationship should involve at least a small degree of mututal respect. Revoking an agreement to do a trivial substitution is pretty much giving a big middle finger to a loyal customer. That customer, in turn, has the right to walk back. No entitlement there, except to how I spend my own money. They don't owe me fries, I don't owe them my continued business.

    Some have suggested that I just eat the $8 because I like the food. Not unreasonable, especially if I can't find a similar place around with similar food which I like just as much. (I haven't explored possible replacements yet.) It becomes tough when you like the food but feel your patronage is not appreciated. I like spending my money at small businesses which clearly appreciate the customer, and it feels good to contribute to the viability of such businesses. However, I really hate supporting businesses where the ownership treats the customer as if they are a burden and are being done a favor for being served at all. So I'm really torn on this one, unless I do reach the owner and get some resolution.



    In the next post I'll post a few theories as to what is happening...

  20. #20
    All Sorts of Sports gut's Avatar
    Reputation
    589
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Some answers to the above posts, and some more info...

    The fries substitution is for rice and salad. I have never been a salad guy, and I don't like rice. So it's not a matter of just trying something new and possibily liking it. My girlfriend likes rice and salad, hence that's why her plate doesn't get the fries. However, we don't need extra, nor does anyone want to bother saving rice or a side salad to eat later. Anyway, the point I'm making is that this isn't an unfair substitution, and similar takeout restaurants have all done this substitution without an upcharge in the past. For whatever reason this one normally won't do it, but the owner made the exception for me shortly after the business opened, because he wanted to keep a potential regular customer coming back. With that said, had he refused, I would have been less bothered, because then it would be a matter of policy, and not yanking away something previously given to me. I feel like my loyalty is getting a big middle finger at this point, since this substitution is trivial regarding cost of ingredients.

    Mumbles suggested that perhaps the business owner is bitter that I abandoned them for 15 months during the pandemic. Maybe? But clearly my return upon getting vaccinated shows that I was only staying away due to COVD concerns, and not due to any callousness about them.

    jsearles said I was "entitled". Incorrect. Neither side is entitled to anything from the other. It's a business relationship, and part of that business relationship should involve at least a small degree of mututal respect. Revoking an agreement to do a trivial substitution is pretty much giving a big middle finger to a loyal customer. That customer, in turn, has the right to walk back. No entitlement there, except to how I spend my own money. They don't owe me fries, I don't owe them my continued business.

    Some have suggested that I just eat the $8 because I like the food. Not unreasonable, especially if I can't find a similar place around with similar food which I like just as much. (I haven't explored possible replacements yet.) It becomes tough when you like the food but feel your patronage is not appreciated. I like spending my money at small businesses which clearly appreciate the customer, and it feels good to contribute to the viability of such businesses. However, I really hate supporting businesses where the ownership treats the customer as if they are a burden and are being done a favor for being served at all. So I'm really torn on this one, unless I do reach the owner and get some resolution.



    In the next post I'll post a few theories as to what is happening...
    A real regular or loyal customer would have supported them during the past year and a half. You did not, so you have lost your privilege. Its pretty simple, and actually you should be glad (?) that after bothering the staff to call that the owner let you do it a few times.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Jew Make the Call: Asshole phone rep edition
    By Dan Druff in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-03-2020, 11:57 PM
  2. Jew Make the Call: Late Laptop Edition
    By Dan Druff in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-12-2020, 01:23 AM
  3. Jew Make the Call: Doctor's Office/Insurance Edition
    By Dan Druff in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 11-02-2019, 11:27 AM
  4. Jew Make the Call: Double Tipping Edition
    By Dan Druff in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-15-2013, 04:43 AM
  5. Jew Make the Call: Seatbelt Tickets Edition
    By Dan Druff in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-02-2013, 11:15 PM