View Poll Results: What would you do in this situation?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Attempt to reach the owner and find out what's going on

3 11.11%
  • Your business isn't appreciated/wanted -- quit going

2 7.41%
  • Quit going AND write bad Yelp review

1 3.70%
  • Just pay the extra $8 each time for the substitution and swallow your pride

18 66.67%
  • Just quit the substitution entirely and swallow your pride

1 3.70%
  • Don't know / don't care

2 7.41%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jew Make the Call: Revoked Substitution Edition

Gold
    Load Metric
    we all should've known druff better than to think he'd ever just pay the $8 and leave it at that.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    LOL at jsearles quoting himself.

Yes, I came back to the thread to update the story, and to show how important local customer retention is, and how revoking a deal you've had with a regular for years (over a minor matter) is a terrible business decision.

Funny how the one actual restaurant owner here (hutmaster) has always agreed with me in these type of threads, and funny how the actual owner in this story gave me her cell number right away (without my asking) in order to make sure I would keep coming back.

The actual correct answer was "Attempt to track down the owner and call", because this turned out to be a matter of employee incompetence, and not much else, so it was easily rectified. That's why you talk to other human beings and figure out the true situation.

But I'm sure a security guard from Kansas and other forums trolls know far better.

Comments

1marley1: You are out of your god damn mind

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    One more important detail I left out.

Near the end of the call, she said, "We don't allow substitutons but we know you. You've come in since the beginning, there's a relationship here, there's a level of trust on both ends."

Correct.

I wish hutmaster were in this thread to comment. As far as I know, he's the only poster here who owns a restaurant. He has explained over and over how costly it is to alienate regular customers, and that doing so is a huge mistake for this type of business. Reliable, satisfied, long-term, once-a-week $60 customers are incredibly valuable. Why?

- Predictable income from them. Your goal is to string together a good number of these people, and you'll experience a lot less low-end variance.

- Good word-of-mouth and good reviews. It's not just about my $60/week. What if I tell my neighbors and friends in the community that I like the place? What if I post 5 star reviews on Yelp-type sites? What if I cite this place when people ask me which place I enjoy for that type of food? What if I do social-media check-ins ? It's almost like free marketing to have a neighborhood customer who is a regular.

- Less money/work needed to acquire new customers. Mom-and-pop restaurants in non-touristy areas are constantly having to spend money to replace former regular customers who stop coming for whatever reason. The less this happens, the less advertising/marketing is needed.

Now look at the flip side of this. If you piss off a longtime customer and he quits coming, it's worse than him just forgetting you exist. He might post bad reviews. He might tell his friends and family that he recommends they stay away. He might give people in the community an earful whenever the name of your business comes up. And when people ask him for recommendations in the future, he will probably start recommending the competition, where he's likely to move his patronage!

Keeping a good customer has exponential potential positive results (what if I bring in 5 other regulars, who also end up bringing in new people), and losing one has exponential potential negative results (think the reverse).

This is most true for small, local service businesses. It's much less true for, say, Carl's Jr. in Barstow, which I pass on the way to Vegas. I'm not a Barstow local, so my number of potential visits is low. I can't influence Barstow locals. I can't sully the Carl's Jr name in general, because it's a huge brand. So if Carl's Jr in Barstow drves me away, it has little impact.

In this thread, there are a lot of non-service-business-owners who don't understand at all the importance of customer retention, especially at mom-and-pop places which can't count on brand recognition to drive in new traffic.

I also see a lot of stupid comments about my lack of right to set personal expectations for how businesses treat me. Bullshit! I have a right to set whatever expectations I want for places where I spend my money. Just as they can make their own rules and refuse to serve me, I can make my own personal rules and refuse to patronize them. It's a two way street. If I feel my business isn't being appreciated, then I take it elsewhere. It's self-correcting on both sides. If I am too much of an asshole, I will run out of places to go, and will have to moderate my behavior. If the business is too difficult with customers, they will fail and disappear. I've seen the latter many times.

If you think running out a regular $60/week customer just costs you the gross profit from him per week, then you know nothing about service-related small business.
    As someone who does, generally, work in that field, I stand by what I've said. You disappear when times are tough, then come back expecting the same sweetheart discount, FUCK OFF. Too scared to order takeout for 15 months? Well now you pay the same price as everyone else.

This place must be hard-up for customers if everything you said here in this thread is true.

God damn, I can only imagine how awkward it is for whatever min wage person behind the counter dealing with "so i used to be a regular and got this deal, then i hid in the basement cause covid for 18 months, but call your owner so i get my $8 off. Do you know I won a WSOP Bracelet?"

Comments

gimmick:
    Last edited by gut; 10-20-2021 at 12:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    As someone who does, generally, work in that field, I stand by what I've said. You disappear when times are tough, then come back expecting the same sweetheart discount, FUCK OFF. Too scared to order takeout for 15 months? Well now you pay the same price as everyone else.

This place must be hard-up for customers if everything you said here is true.
    Why fuck off?

Why would you ever be mad at someone staying away for 15 months due to a major health-related concern which clearly has nothing to do with your business?

What if in 2018 I left for 15 months because I had a great business opportunity elsewhere, then moved back? Fuck off then, too?

What if I was on a diet in 2018 for 15 months, and was not doing takeout anywhere? Still fuck off?

If I had been coming for 1 month, then vanished for 15, then came back expecting my exception to stand, you'd have a point. Here I was reliably coming for 3 years, and left for 15 months due to a pandemic.

This isn't a sweetheart discount. A sweetheart discount would be them granting me 30% off each time. This is a substitution which costs them basically nothing, and they're doing to keep a reliable, regular, happy customer. Fries are not popular at this place (it's not a burger place, and they don't come with anything on the menu), so it's not like they're constantly selling fries as an add-on and losing out on this sale from me. It's not like that. Every time they're making fresh fries for me, for this reason.

If you put your emotion into why your customers disappear for awhile, like a jilted lover, you're going out of business quickly.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    There are currently 15 users browsing this thread. (4 members and 11 guests)
    Dan Druff, gut, hutmaster, limp donk bingo

Load Metric

Why would you ever be mad at someone staying away for 15 months due to a major health-related concern which clearly has nothing to do with your business?

DOUBLE THE FRIES THEN!

Load Metric
    One more important detail I left out.

Near the end of the call, she said, "We don't allow substitutons but we know you. You've come in since the beginning, there's a relationship here, there's a level of trust on both ends."

Correct.

I wish hutmaster were in this thread to comment. As far as I know, he's the only poster here who owns a restaurant. He has explained over and over how costly it is to alienate regular customers, and that doing so is a huge mistake for this type of business. Reliable, satisfied, long-term, once-a-week $60 customers are incredibly valuable. Why?

- Predictable income from them. Your goal is to string together a good number of these people, and you'll experience a lot less low-end variance.

- Good word-of-mouth and good reviews. It's not just about my $60/week. What if I tell my neighbors and friends in the community that I like the place? What if I post 5 star reviews on Yelp-type sites? What if I cite this place when people ask me which place I enjoy for that type of food? What if I do social-media check-ins ? It's almost like free marketing to have a neighborhood customer who is a regular.

- Less money/work needed to acquire new customers. Mom-and-pop restaurants in non-touristy areas are constantly having to spend money to replace former regular customers who stop coming for whatever reason. The less this happens, the less advertising/marketing is needed.

Now look at the flip side of this. If you piss off a longtime customer and he quits coming, it's worse than him just forgetting you exist. He might post bad reviews. He might tell his friends and family that he recommends they stay away. He might give people in the community an earful whenever the name of your business comes up. And when people ask him for recommendations in the future, he will probably start recommending the competition, where he's likely to move his patronage!

Keeping a good customer has exponential potential positive results (what if I bring in 5 other regulars, who also end up bringing in new people), and losing one has exponential potential negative results (think the reverse).

This is most true for small, local service businesses. It's much less true for, say, Carl's Jr. in Barstow, which I pass on the way to Vegas. I'm not a Barstow local, so my number of potential visits is low. I can't influence Barstow locals. I can't sully the Carl's Jr name in general, because it's a huge brand. So if Carl's Jr in Barstow drves me away, it has little impact.

In this thread, there are a lot of non-service-business-owners who don't understand at all the importance of customer retention, especially at mom-and-pop places which can't count on brand recognition to drive in new traffic.

I also see a lot of stupid comments about my lack of right to set personal expectations for how businesses treat me. Bullshit! I have a right to set whatever expectations I want for places where I spend my money. Just as they can make their own rules and refuse to serve me, I can make my own personal rules and refuse to patronize them. It's a two way street. If I feel my business isn't being appreciated, then I take it elsewhere. It's self-correcting on both sides. If I am too much of an asshole, I will run out of places to go, and will have to moderate my behavior. If the business is too difficult with customers, they will fail and disappear. I've seen the latter many times.

If you think running out a regular $60/week customer just costs you the gross profit from him per week, then you know nothing about service-related small business.

This place must be hard-up for customers if everything you said here in this thread is true.

God damn, I can only imagine how awkward it is for whatever min wage person behind the counter dealing with "so i used to be a regular and got this deal, then i hid in the basement cause covid for 18 months, but call your owner so i get my $8 off. Do you know I won a WSOP Bracelet?"

Load Metric

Why fuck off?

What if in 2018 I left for 15 months because I had a great business opportunity elsewhere, then moved back? Fuck off then, too?

What if I was on a diet in 2018 for 15 months, and was not doing takeout anywhere? Still fuck off?

If I had been coming for 1 month, then vanished for 15, then came back expecting my exception to stand, you'd have a point. Here I was reliably coming for 3 years, and left for 15 months due to a pandemic.

This isn't a sweetheart discount. A sweetheart discount would be them granting me 30% off each time. This is a substitution which costs them basically nothing, and they're doing to keep a reliable, regular, happy customer. Fries are not popular at this place (it's not a burger place, and they don't come with anything on the menu), so it's not like they're constantly selling fries as an add-on and losing out on this sale from me. It's not like that. Every time they're making fresh fries for me, for this reason.

If you put your emotion into why your customers disappear for awhile, like a jilted lover, you're going out of business quickly.
    Here is the thing, you obviously didn't give a fuck about their business for 15 months, because you were scared by CNN. Why should they give a fuck about you now?

You bailed on them in a time of need, and now your fucking $8 is a huge deal. The wife is playing nice cause, seriously, its just easier to get rid of dolts like you bitching about $8 while they are trying to get their life back together

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Why fuck off?

Here is the thing, you obviously didn't give a fuck about their business for 15 months, because you were scared by CNN. Why should they give a fuck about you now?

You bailed on them in a time of need, and now your fucking $8 is a huge deal.
    I wasn't "scared by CNN". It's not like we've since found out COVID isn't dangerous for people in their late 40s. The same danger believed then for unvaccinated people my age exists now. Last year everyone was unvaccinated, so I stayed away from everything.

The fact that I personally knew several people in their 40s who got permanent lung damage from COVID was enough to make me take it seriously. So was seeing two guys I knew from Facebook (neither of whom was obese) die at ages 50 and 55.

Again, if you run a business and feel like a jilted lover when a customer stops coming in for his own personal reasons unrelated to your business (diet change, relocation, personal issues, pandemic, whatever) then you shouldn't be owning a business.

"WHERE WERE YOUUUUUUUU WHEN I NEEDED YOU MOST???" is the most retatded line ever for a business to take.

Load Metric

You bailed on them in a time of need, and now your fucking $8 is a huge deal.
    I wasn't "scared by CNN". It's not like we've since found out COVID isn't dangerous for people in their late 40s. The same danger believed then for unvaccinated people my age exists now. Last year everyone was unvaccinated, so I stayed away from everything.

The fact that I personally knew several people in their 40s who got permanent lung damage from COVID was enough to make me take it seriously. So was seeing two guys I knew from Facebook (neither of whom was obese) die at ages 50 and 55.

Agan, if you run a business and feel like a jilted lover when a customer stops coming in for his own personal reasons unrelated to your business (diet change, relocation, personal issues, pandemic, whatever) then you shouldn't be owning a business.

"WHERE WERE YOUUUUUUUU WHEN I NEEDED YOU MOST???" is the most retatded line ever for a business to take.
    I'm obviously fucking with you with the "CNN" but that is how you acted. I remember like a year ago Dwai and I getting into it about getting vaxxed, and i was like "I'm still out doing my shit, i go to bars and restaurants, and then will get vaxxed and continue to do so".

I'm not that much younger than you, I lived my life as normal as I could. That included getting drinks and getting takeout from my favorite spots to keep them going during the shitshow.

Guess what I never did? I never asked "oh is there still a happy hour?"

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Agan, if you run a business and feel like a jilted lover when a customer stops coming in for his own personal reasons unrelated to your business (diet change, relocation, personal issues, pandemic, whatever) then you shouldn't be owning a business.

I'm obviously fucking with you with the "CNN" but that is how you acted. I remember like a year ago Dwai and I getting into it about getting vaxxed, and i was like "I'm still out doing my shit, i go to bars and restaurants, and then will get vaxxed and continue to do so".

I'm not that much younger than you, I lived my life as normal as I could. That included getting drinks and getting takeout from my favorite spots to keep them going during the shitshow.

Guess what I never did? I never asked "oh is there still a happy hour?"
    The hole in your logic is based upon your belief that I was getting some backbreaking deal from them to where they were barely profiting from me, and then expected that to continue when COVID came and times got tougher.

I'm not getting any discount because I am trading two low-cost items for one low-cost item -- a substitution VERY common at these type of places. For whatever reason this place doesn't like doing that substitution, but they're not losing money by allowing it for me.

They're being flexible for a guy they know reliably comes in regularly and spends good money, and was there from almost day one. Flexible doesn't mean they're losing money, just altering a policy.

Bizarre that you think this is taking advantage of them in some way, or that they should have hard feelings when I left for 15 months for reasons clearly unrelated to them.

Load Metric
    “ Druff will be by shortly to tell the majority they are wrong.”

Seriously what’s the point with these threads Druff? Is it some sort of superiority complex? In nearly every one you disagree with the majority and then drone on and on and on about why you’re right. There’s like 20 examples of this exact thread already. I don’t get it. But I’m just a security guard I guess (nice fall back when I tilt you).

Comments

gut: watch the doors, i'll give you $8
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'll tell another story from about 25 years ago of disrespect for a long time customer, and how I never returned. I may have told it before, but whatever.

I lived down the street from a Domino's Pizza. That pizza is crap, as everyone knows, but around that tiem they came out with a "garlic crust pizza" which tasted surprisingly good. I started going there once a week and picking up a large garlic crust pepperoni pizza. That was my exact order every time. No way to order online then, so I would call it in, and the manager got so used to me that he recognized my voice after I said a few words.

"Is this Todd? A large garlic crust pepperoni pizza again?"

I'd laugh and say yes. The manager was always very friendly and nice when I came in to pick it up, greeted me by name, and everything was great. Additionally, he did a good job running the place, as they never screwed anything up, so I never had to complain about anything even once.

Well, one day I went to do my laundry and the machine in my building was broken. Fuck. So I looked up the nearest laundromat in the phone book, and it was right next to that Domino's. I went there with my big basket of laundry, and then noticed that the change machine only accepted $1 and $5 bills, and unfortunately I only had a $10 bill. Fuck again.

Then I realized something. "Oh wait! That Domino's is next door! They know me! They'll break this for me."

So I walked into Domino's, and there was the manager. He greeted me again by name, with a smile.

I told him what happened, and asked if he could simply break my $10 into two $5s.

"I'm sorry, Todd, but I can't," he replied.

"You're out of $5s? Because I'll take 10 ones if necessary," I responded.

"Oh no, we have plenty of $5s and $1s, that's not the issue. I just can't. Look at the sign...", he said, gesturing to a "CHANGE FOR CUSTOMERS ONLY, NO CHANGE FOR LAUNDROMAT CUSTOMERS" sign on the counter.

I understood the need for the sign and the policy. They probably got really sick of assholes from the laundromat coming over there and asking them to break bills, without ever buying any food.

"But I am a customer," I replied. "I just ordered a pizza here two days ago. I do it every week. I order so much pizza from this place that you know my voice and have memorized my order."

"Yes," he said. "You're a great customer, and you do come here a lot. And I appreciate it very much. But rules are rules, and I can't break that bill for you."

I explained what happeend with my building's broken machine, the fact that I was unfamiliar with this laundromat, and that I had a big basket of laundry stting in there. All I needed was two fives for a ten. He didn't waver.

"If I do it for you, I have to do it for everyone else," he explained.

"No you don't," I said. "There's nobody else in here. I'm not going to advertise that you broke a $10 for me on a one-time basis. The purpose of the policy is to stop people from taking advantage of your business for change, not to deny a tiny favor to a very regular customer."

"Again, I won't do it. I always keep to the policies I set", he replied.

What a fucking stickler ingrate.

I then said, "If I walk out without that $10 being broken, I'm never coming back. You okay with that?"

He replied that he doesn't want to lose my business, but it's my choice what I want to do. So I told him I was never returning. I was annoyed enough to where I tracked down the owner and left him a message as to why he lost my business forever.

The garlic crust pizza was discontinued shortly after that, so no big loss anyway.

But anyone who would keep coming in after an incident like the above has zero self respect.

Comments

PROUDBOY MAGA 2024:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    “ Druff will be by shortly to tell the majority they are wrong.”

Seriously what’s the point with these threads Druff? Is it some sort of superiority complex? In nearly every one you disagree with the majority and then drone on and on and on about why you’re right. There’s like 20 examples of this exact thread already. I don’t get it. But I’m just a security guard I guess (nice fall back when I tilt you).
    The actual businessowner agreed with me, and basically told me the COVID-era employees are incompetent, so I was right. There was never a desire by the owner to revoke this substitution for me.

Given all the weird flip-flopping going on there over the past 5 months, it was obvious that a call to the owner was the right move. It's not like the owner made a decision and I couldn't deal with it. This whole thing was just bizarre, and now I understand it better.

So yes, I was right here with how I chose to handle it, and the way it played out proved that.

Load Metric
    Druff I’m fine with your breaking change story.

As per my earlier comment you’re in the wrong for then substitute story.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also before we continue further, please note that jsearles once yelled at a KFC employee because she wouldn't give a free cookie to his young daughter.

Comments

PROUDBOY MAGA 2024: Good comparison what a hypocrite WELCHER he is.

jsearles22: 2nd time this week you referenced my non existent daughter you Aspie weirdo

Gold
    Load Metric
    you talked about the dominoes story on the radio. not sure when but sure it was on the radio

Load Metric
    Also before we continue further, please note that jsearles once yelled at a KFC employee because she wouldn't give a free cookie to his young daughter.

Load Metric
    UPDATE

First off, I'm disappointed that so many people made this about the right of the owner to do an $8 upcharge or ending the substitution for me. Neither of those is very interesting, especially after a 15-month disappearance on my part during COVID.

The interesting part of this story is the fact that they DID give permission to do this substitution again in May, then supposedly revoked it about a month later, but then allowed it whenever I had the workers call the owner and ask. So the big question was WHY this was happening. If the owner was not going to allow it anymore (say, because prices went up for them to acquire food), then the answer should have been, "We're not going to do it anymore", not the once-a-month dance of "Owner said you can't do this anymore" followed by "Owner says it's okay."

As I mentioned, I was even wondering if they were actually told to stop or even calling the owner, or if this was all a lie being told by lazy employees.

Anyway, I was able to reach the owner.

You know my three theories I posted earlier, as to what was happening?

None of them were correct.

There are two owners here -- a husband and wife. They are both actively involved. I reached the husband, but it was at noon and the lunch hour was going, and he was very busy. He politely asked me to call his wife at the location where I usually go, so I did. I have dealt with both of them before and they've always been very nice.

She remembered me right away and gave me her personal cell number to call her, and she stepped outside to talk to me.

She told me a long story how it's very tough to get good employees nowadays in the COVID era at a place like this (which I know to be very true), and that she's had to tolerate a ton of fail and stupid things happening. She said that the employees were having a very hard time with the concept of, "Allow Todd to do his fries substitution, but don't deviate from the rules for anyone else."

So what was happening was that they'd give permission to do my fries substitution, and those employees would get confused and believe all substitutions were allowed. So then they'd tell that employee this substitution exception was just for me, and not for everyone else. Then these employees came to believe that anyone who claimed "the owner said it was okay" should be believed, and last week some asshole made up a story that the "owner said to give 2 extra sandwiches because we had a problem last time", and the dummy did it. So then they told the guy not to just believe anyone who claims "the owner said", so the next time when I said that, I was told no.

Shit like that has been happening repeatedly, and they've found that none of the employees have the basic critical thinking skills to understand that one guy getting permission for something means only that one guy and nobody else. And whenever thsee employees fuck up and allow things they're not supposed to and get in trouble for it, they overcorrect and tell me they can't bend the rules.

You might think this sounds like face-saving bullshit because the owner didn't want to admit she had told them to stop allowing this for me. However, I believe her for several reasons:

1) She sounded very sincere and spent a long time telling me detailed stories of fail there and how frustrating it's been for her -- lots of things unrelated to my situation. If this was a bullshit story to cover up the truth, she deserves an Oscar for the performance.

2) She was very nice throughout the call, and it sounded genuine nice, as opposed to phony/polite nice.

3) Recall that she gave me her personal cell number right off the bat, without my asking. Not something one would do for a customer you want to get rid of, or who you're afraid of bothering you too much in the future.

The solution? She said that she would write down my name on a piece of paper near the cash register, and instruct the emlpoyees always to do the fries substitution for me only. She said to call her personal cell number if there's any fail.

She initially offered that I could just call her cell in advance of each time I visit (!!), but I said I didn't want to bother her, and I'd be totally fine if they just put some kind of note for the employees regarding my exception. So that's what is being done.

I do want to address one other thing. Some people believe I should be afraid of a "lugey sandwich" because of all this. Remember that this is a takeout place. It's also the type of place where everything is cooked in plain sight. So provided I order in the store, there's not going to be any of that going on. I suppose it's possible if I place a phone order (which I've only done once this year) that they could fuck with the food while I'm not present, but I can just avoid doing phone orders if I feel concerned about it.

I will say that the vibe I got there was one of legit confusion, not disdain. I did think it was possible the cook was resentful for having to make the fries and was just telling everyone to lie to me, but now that I found out that's not the case, I'm no longer worried about it. Basically these are poor quality pandemic-era employees who fuck up the simplest things and aren't good with the concept of exceptions, so that's where the fail has been. Since there will be a note I can tell them to look at near the register, that should answer it going forward.

This is a good example of why contacting the owner is usually the best solution when baffling problems arise at a small business. You can get right to the root of what's going on, and make a better informed decision going forward about what to do. I'm surprised that so few people chose that option, as I thought that was the very clear next step.

In this case, it is obvious the owners appreciate my business, and I also like the food there. I shall continue going.

So let it be written, so let it be done.
    You're a complete moron if you think acting like a prick to minimum wage employees like this doesn't lead to your food getting fucked with.

Especially if you're a known entity there that causes repeated hassle. The people preparing the food don't give a fuck about your weekly $60.

Glad you're feeling good about getting special permission to swap the healthy food in order to clog your arteries but 100% those fries are laced with a finger of ball sweat at the minimum and they laugh as soon as you trudge out the door.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    When I was in high school and first year of college, I worked at a pizza place that did delivery. There was an older guy, in his 40s, and when you are 19, that is old. We had a few problem customers, people that would always complain. I am not talking about a pizza was legitimately burnt, everyone says they should get a replacement. It was the guy who would always complain. The delivery guy's name was Rico, and he worked until 2am, long after the manager left at 9pm, and I would help the manager trainee make pies. When the trainee would complain about delivery for a second pizza again to the same guy over and over, Rico laughed and said he would make sure he would get a 'booger pie'. I never forgot that, who knows what he did to that pizza in the car.

100% Druff has eaten many other people's boogers in his food without knowing.

Thread Information