Thread: Former NWPer "thakilla" shows up to bizarre October 9 "Halloween" party, dresses as Teddy KGB, nobody understands

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Former NWPer "thakilla" shows up to bizarre October 9 "Halloween" party, dresses as Teddy KGB, nobody understands

Load Metric
    LOL

Platinum
    Load Metric
    LOL Nice

He pretty much nailed it imo

I'm curious about the age group he was with because who the hell that plays poker, hasn't seen Rounders by now?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    LOL Nice

I'm curious about the age group he was with because who the hell that plays poker, hasn't seen Rounders by now?
    It was close, but Teddy KGB wouldn’t be caught dead in that shirt. Should have gone with a Hawaiian.

P.S. Plus, Teddy KGB doesn’t put stacks of chips on top of other stacks. His kind is about controlling space, not building a ego-glorifying tower. Hence he has his chip stacks at only one level, expanding outward to dominate more of the surface of the table when he accumulates them.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah I agree, the shirt was the main fail of that costume.

Otherwise good job.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here's my little Rounders story.

So I hadn't heard of Rounders when it came out in 1998, and thus I didn't see it. I had no interest in poker at that point, so it makes sense that I either ignored it or simply never ran into any ads for it (likely the latter).

I started playing poker in January 2001. I instantly loved it and started playing a whole lot, but still hadn't heard of Rounders. Part of this might be because I wasn't reading poker forums or rec.gambling.poker at the time, so I didn't have exposure to other poker players except when I was playing.

I've mentioned before -- both on here and radio -- that I met a girl off True Poker in 2001, who was 28 and from Las Vegas. We were bantering back and forth in the chat (which was used very actively on True Poker), and I thought all that time she was a guy, because she had the male "robot" character. Only about 2/3 through the session did I realize she was a girl, after I put a bad beat on her, said, "Sorry sir", and she responded, "You mean sorry ma'am".

By the end, she said I seemed cool and sent me her e-mail address in open chat. I e-mailed her, and she gave me her phone number. I called her, and the conversation was going well, until Rounders was brought up. She made some reference to the movie, and I had no clue what she was talking about. She asked, "Wait a minute, you haven't heard of Rounders?"

I said no.

She replied, "I can't believe you were in a $10/$20 poker game and have no idea what Rounders is. Every poker player needs to see Rounders!"

She then invited me to come to Vegas (I was living in LA at the time), so we would watch Rounders together in her apartment. I knew that probably also meant more than just the movie would happen, but I still didn't feel like driving all the way to Vegas just to get laid, even though I did like talking to her and liked her personality. I told her that I would let her know the next time in Vegas, which would "probably be fairly soon".

A few weeks later, I decided to go to Vegas, as it had been awhile since I was last there anyway. We had been talking every few days, and we liked each other, but there wasn't an intense excitement or buildup to the whole thing. I just kinda felt like meeting her was a bonus to a trip I'd otherwise be taking anyway.

Unfortunately the plan to watch Rounders had to be aborted, because her roommate was an ex of hers, and he still had a thing for her. When she had invited me, he was out of town, but by the time I came to Vegas, he was back. She told me that instead, she'd come to me at my hotel, which was the Las Vegas Hilton. I ended up getting a huge suite on the top of the building because there was some fail with my hotel reservation, and they gave me the suite to make up for it. She was very impressed with the suite. I forgot whether or not I told her how I got it.

The plan at first was for her to watch me counting cards at blackjack (which she didn't quite know how to do yet), and then for us to play poker together, but after one blackjack session, we went back to the room and banged. The rest of the weekend was basically either having sex or going to meals. At one point she told me that she hadn't been with a guy since breaking up with that ex 18 months prior, and seemed sincere. That probably contributed to why she wanted to bang so much. She ended up being the one and only girl I ever met from an online poker site, and the one and only girl I ever messed around with from poker. She vanished from poker shortly after that, so I haven't seen her anywhere since.

Anyway, I got back home and I said to myself, "Okay, I'm gonna see Rounders now", but then forgot about it for another year or so. Finally I rented it in 2002 and saw it. While I enjoyed the movie, I still haven't seen it again since then. Should probably rewatch.

Comments

GambleBotsChafedPenis: Druff Fucks Rep

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    LOL Nice

It was close, but Teddy KGB wouldn’t be caught dead in that shirt. Should have gone with a Hawaiian.

P.S. Plus, Teddy KGB doesn’t put stacks of chips on top of other stacks. His kind is about controlling space, not building a ego-glorifying tower. Hence he has his chip stacks at only one level, expanding outward to dominate more of the surface of the table when he accumulates them.

Jesus Christ Bumbles, shut it down.

Instead of nitpicking on the littlest things, maybe appreciate what he did get right (which was a vast percentage of everything)

Do you think that you're the only one that could point out tiny flaws? Do you think you're telling one anything?

Good grief

Comments

MumblesBadly: “…only one WHO could point out…”

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Used to PM with Micon a little back in the boom days and told him, if you want guaranteed TV time, show up to the main event dressed as KGB….accent, Oreos, Tracy suit….faker the accent the better.

Yo Volo Mot

He didn’t do it…lazy

Load Metric

So I hadn't heard of Rounders when it came out in 1998, and thus I didn't see it. I had no interest in poker at that point, so it makes sense that I either ignored it or simply never ran into any ads for it (likely the latter).

I started playing poker in January 2001. I instantly loved it and started playing a whole lot, but still hadn't heard of Rounders. Part of this might be because I wasn't reading poker forums or rec.gambling.poker at the time, so I didn't have exposure to other poker players except when I was playing.

I've mentioned before -- both on here and radio -- that I met a girl off True Poker in 2001, who was 28 and from Las Vegas. We were bantering back and forth in the chat (which was used very actively on True Poker), and I thought all that time she was a guy, because she had the male "robot" character. Only about 2/3 through the session did I realize she was a girl, after I put a bad beat on her, said, "Sorry sir", and she responded, "You mean sorry ma'am".

By the end, she said I seemed cool and sent me her e-mail address in open chat. I e-mailed her, and she gave me her phone number. I called her, and the conversation was going well, until Rounders was brought up. She made some reference to the movie, and I had no clue what she was talking about. She asked, "Wait a minute, you haven't heard of Rounders?"

I said no.

She replied, "I can't believe you were in a $10/$20 poker game and have no idea what Rounders is. Every poker player needs to see Rounders!"

She then invited me to come to Vegas (I was living in LA at the time), so we would watch Rounders together in her apartment. I knew that probably also meant more than just the movie would happen, but I still didn't feel like driving all the way to Vegas just to get laid, even though I did like talking to her and liked her personality. I told her that I would let her know the next time in Vegas, which would "probably be fairly soon".

A few weeks later, I decided to go to Vegas, as it had been awhile since I was last there anyway. We had been talking every few days, and we liked each other, but there wasn't an intense excitement or buildup to the whole thing. I just kinda felt like meeting her was a bonus to a trip I'd otherwise be taking anyway.

Unfortunately the plan to watch Rounders had to be aborted, because her roommate was an ex of hers, and he still had a thing for her. When she had invited me, he was out of town, but by the time I came to Vegas, he was back. She told me that instead, she'd come to me at my hotel, which was the Las Vegas Hilton. I ended up getting a huge suite on the top of the building because there was some fail with my hotel reservation, and they gave me the suite to make up for it. She was very impressed with the suite. I forgot whether or not I told her how I got it.

The plan at first was for her to watch me counting cards at blackjack (which she didn't quite know how to do yet), and then for us to play poker together, but after one blackjack session, we went back to the room and banged. The rest of the weekend was basically either having sex or going to meals. At one point she told me that she hadn't been with a guy since breaking up with that ex 18 months prior, and seemed sincere. That probably contributed to why she wanted to bang so much. She ended up being the one and only girl I ever met from an online poker site, and the one and only girl I ever messed around with from poker. She vanished from poker shortly after that, so I haven't seen her anywhere since.

Anyway, I got back home and I said to myself, "Okay, I'm gonna see Rounders now", but then forgot about it for another year or so. Finally I rented it in 2002 and saw it. While I enjoyed the movie, I still haven't seen it again since then. Should probably rewatch.
    You are almost 50 Druff.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    She vanished from poker shortly after that, so I haven't seen her anywhere since.
    Anyone else seen her since, or does this explain your True Crimes fascination?
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric

I said no.

The way the story developed, I thought you were going to say "She must have slipped me a Mickey, because I passed out and woke up the next day with all of my stuff gone."

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post
    The way the story developed, I thought you were going to say "She must have slipped me a Mickey, because I passed out and woke up the next day with all of my stuff gone."
    Maybe this would've happened if I were a drinker. What a disappointment for her to see me just drinking water!

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Who is the closest look a like in the poker world of the girl

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    Who is the closest look a like in the poker world of the girl
    Name:  EdAxi8OXkAYqE9y.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  46.3 KB

Comments

Texter: Ha…Grand Slam!

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    I just now stumbled upon this thread. The reason it was a Halloween party on October 9th was because the neighbors that always have this party had scheduling conflicts with the weekends closer to Halloween. I didn't set the date, I just attended the party.

Regarding the criticism of my shirt not being a close enough match: It is embarrassing how much time I spent trying to find an exact match of his undershirt and jacket with no luck. I couldn't believe how much trouble I had finding them and this was the best I could do. I was also disappointed with not being able to find it. I like to take my costumes serious as you can see from my costumes in the past.

Name:  costumes.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  104.7 KB

Regarding no one (almost) at the party recognizing that I was Teddy KGB: I live in cul-de-sac in Fishers, IN now and there are zero poker players in my neighborhood. Some of the guys had seen the movie once twenty years ago, but it wasn't a big deal to them like it was to poker players. I didn't care, because I love posting my annual Halloween costume on twitter every year. It's kind of my thing. I expected them not to know anyway.

A cool part about it was that somehow the Director of Rounders, Brian Koppelman, got wind of my tweet and he quote tweeted it saying something about how he loved it. That made it blow up and it is my most viral tweet ever with over 500k impressions!

Comments

BetCheckBet:

gimmick:

Reno:

Sheesfaced:

Thread Information