Thread: Nate Silver at $10k Limit Holdem WSOP final table

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Nate Silver at $10k Limit Holdem WSOP final table

Nate Silver plays the WSOP every year, but hasn't had much success. He has three lifetime cashes -- all for under $4400.

He entered the $10k Limit Holdem event, which had only 78 entrants, and will definitely be cashing at least 5 figures this time.

There are a number of "name" players at this table, but this time it was short on known limit holdem pros. When I made that final table 8 years ago, it was populated by all limit players, aside from Justin Bonomo, who is also a good limit player because he's been advised by a lot of very good limit players in his Magic friends group.

This final table features Nate Silver, Jason Somerville, and John Racener -- none of whom are known for their LHE prowess. There are some players at the table known for their limit poker skill, including "Angry John" Monnette, Ray Dekharghani, Kevin Song, and Terrence Chan. There are two other guys at the table who are mostly unknown.

Terrence Chan has a weird situation going on with this event, where he has cashed 4 times, but never finished better than 8th.

https://www.wsop.com/tournaments/chi...of=197433&rr=5

Lifelong liberal Nate Silver has pissed off the left at times. When he rocketed to fame in 2012, the left was thrilled to learn that he was gay, and looked to push the triumphant story of a successful, young, gay statistician. However, Silver got angry at this attempt to play identity politics, and told them that he wanted to be known as "Nate Silver, notable statistician", not "Nate Silver, gay statistitican". He also stated that being gay was not part of his identity, and he simply saw it as an unremarkable personal attribute. This irritated lefty media and social media types who wanted him to embrace their celebration of his homosexuality. Instead, he made them look foolish.

Silver got the left even angrier in late 2020 when he broke from left-wing COVID dogma, and called out Democrats for "frequently being anti-science". While he has also been highly critical of right-wing anti-vaxx types, Silver has also repeatedly called out the left for creating a needless sense of panic involving COVID, and for misleading the public into believing dangers exist where they mostly don't. He was also highly critical of the planned "racial equity" method of vaccine distribution, again calling it "anti-science". After COVID hit its peak in January 2021, wipng out old people at an alarming rate, panicky state governors mostly backed away from the planned "equity" methods, and did it mostly by age.

Anyway, while I sometimes don't agree with Silver, and while I think his skills are sometimes overrated, I respect him for speaking out against his own party, and being willing to get his former supporters mad at him for doing so.

GL to him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Terrence, who came in below average, is dominating the table and is now chip leader.

Silver is short stacked and probably not going to last too much longer.

Terrence is in a good spot here. Overall, this is a weaker $10k LHE final table compared to what you typically see. Terrence has no bracelet yet, btw.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Terrence in a great spot here. Song and Dekharghani -- both longtime, experienced limit players, are both out. Angry John short stacked and probably next to bust.

Terrence almost with double of what 2nd place has. If Angry John busts, this is pretty much the best you can hope for regarding the final 6 opponents at this otherwise tough event.

Load Metric
    Terrence Is a amazing limit holdem player. I believe awhile back online he won 2 limit events in same day
    -Allergic to the struggle

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Terrence still in the lead, but Angry John roared back from near-busto to 2nd place, right behind Terrence.

Uh oh!

Nate Silver still in it. 7 left, three short.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Silver now 3-handed with Angry John and a relative unknown named Eric Kurtzman.

Terrence finished 4th. He rocketed up to the chip lead early, then never really got going after that. Tons of variance in these things.

Chips almost even 3-ways. Anyone's game here.

Load Metric
    Is that John Racener the one of the gang of three who tried to stiff that degenerate gambler in Florida who ran super well while utterly drunk playing in that private blackjack game a few years back? Correction: Make that five people:

https://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sh...ng-500k-on-2p2

Comments

Kuntmissioner: Obv same guy
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Angry John won.

Long 3-handed battle, then long heads up battle, but Monnette ended up victorious. Silver was in second. Still a nice showing.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Angry John won.

Long 3-handed battle, then long heads up battle, but Monnette ended up victorious. Silver was in second. Still a nice showing.

Nathan is still alive in the Main with 2.1 million in chips.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    He's at 5.5 mill now.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Poor Nate doesn't have the clout he did a decade ago, due to both failure to predict the 2016 Trump victory and his managing to piss off both the left and the right by his centrist politics.

His remaining lefty fans came to hate him because most of his COVID-related criticism was aimed at Democrats.

He's long been one who enjoys poker, and like Cary Katz, poker success is important to him, despite his success in his primary business.

Never met the guy. I do have respect for him. I especially respect the fact that he is not interested in using his sexual preference (gay) to get ahead or to get any kind of additional recognition. As I mentioned in the OP, he wants to be known as a great statistician, not a great gay statistician. His attitude is, "Yeah, I'm only attracted to men, but that should have zero impact on the rest of my life, or how I'm perceived." I agree.

Comments

Mission146:

Bronze
    Load Metric
    His bust out hand was brutal. He had 66 on a 672 flop. His opponent had 77.
    Both of them had over 5 million (at 120k blinds).

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dive_Bar_Dave View Post
    His bust out hand was brutal. He had 66 on a 672 flop. His opponent had 77.
    Both of them had over 5 million (at 120k blinds).
    Nice haha
    Name:  john-malkovich-teddy.gif
Views: 192
Size:  1.97 MB

Nate Silver has once again attacked Bernie Sanders supporters, calling them “residue."
    “They have surpassed all nations in impertinent fables, in bad conduct and in barbarism.”—François-Marie Voltaire

Load Metric
    Poor Nate doesn't have the clout he did a decade ago, due to both failure to predict the 2016 Trump victory and his managing to piss off both the left and the right by his centrist politics.

His remaining lefty fans came to hate him because most of his COVID-related criticism was aimed at Democrats.

He's long been one who enjoys poker, and like Cary Katz, poker success is important to him, despite his success in his primary business.

Never met the guy. I do have respect for him. I especially respect the fact that he is not interested in using his sexual preference (gay) to get ahead or to get any kind of additional recognition. As I mentioned in the OP, he wants to be known as a great statistician, not a great gay statistician. His attitude is, "Yeah, I'm only attracted to men, but that should have zero impact on the rest of my life, or how I'm perceived." I agree.
    Im still surprised 538 exists. I will pop on the site like once a month, and there might be like 7 new actual articles since last month. Maybe he is banging a Disney/ESPN exec?

Load Metric
    I sat next to Nate Silver on a plane, like 2018 or so. I got a free upgrade to first class based on the fact I took a bump from an earlier flight, also got a $300 voucher. He was banging out on his laptop so I did not bother him but I did mention when we landed that I like his segments on Sunday with George S on ABC, he politely acknowledged and that was that. No idea he was a poker player until this thread, otherwise I would have bothered him on the flight and probably would have asked him if he was familiar with this site.

Also sat next to Paul Orndorff in the mid 2000s on a flight to New York when he was inducted in the WWE Hall of Fame. Knowing his career I did strike up a conversation with him. We talked mostly about his bear hunting show from the 90s where he literally would search for bears with a bow and arrow. Years earlier I actually saw Paul Orndorff in the Atlanta airport, he was just standing there, the odds of running into a famous wrestler twice is like a million to 1.

Load Metric

What an unusual statement for a poker player to make.

538 has neither failed to predict very many things, nor have they successfully predicted them. Didn't they give Trump something like a 33% chance of winning? Someone made a bet on first dozen in Roulette, zeroes don't count, and the bet won. That's not a failure to predict anything.

Besides, Trump still needed the Electoral College to do it and got thoroughly beaten in popular vote. I understand that the winner is the person who wins the EC, but if you could go into an election basically knowing that Candidate A will do better in the popular vote, wouldn't that immediately be enough to believe that Candidate A is more than 50% to win?

Centrist Politics? Really? Damn. I felt that 538 drifted more than a bit to the left starting around 2018, or so.
    Don't Tread on Anyone, mothafucka!

Thread Information