Thread: Negreanu fires 9 times to finally advance in WSOP Flip-n-Go Event

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Negreanu fires 9 times to finally advance in WSOP Flip-n-Go Event

One of the most idiotic new events in a long time is the WSOP Flip-n-Go -- an event so dumb that a monkey could cash in it.

You pay $1000, and are dealt 3 cards. It's 8-handed. You are forced to go all-in on the first hand, as is everyone else at the table. Then a flop is dealt. You cannot bet, as you are all in. However, you are to discard one of your three cards, which is the only "skill" part of the game. It's still mostly luck.

At this point, the turn and river are dealt, and the best holdem hand wins. If there's a chop, the same is done for the remaining players. The winner automatically cashes. You could train a monkey to discard a random card of the three, and while being a little bit of an underdog (due to not intelligently choosing what to discard), still would win semi-close to his fair share of the time.

After everyone cashes by winning their table, it returns to become a normal NL holdem event.

Negreanu had to fire 9 times before finally advancing: https://www.poker.org/wsop-2021-even...-on-ninth-try/

Some theorized that this was a great event, provided you didn't mind the variance and lack of skill at the beginning. Supposedly this was because it would be almost random who cashed, and thus you'd have a weak field remaining, whereas normally it's a tough field after 87.5% of the players are gone at a WSOP NL event.

However, Ari Engel correctly pointed out on Twitter that deep-pocketed pros (like Negreanu) could simply buy their way into a cash (since it's unlimited reentry), thus the field post-cash might be actually tougher than average.

In any case, ths event fails my "monkey test" -- meaning any event where a monkey could be trained to cash is deeply flawed. Some events which allow super-late registration -- where a monkey could fold to the money -- are also problematic that way.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I should clarify. The event doesn't begin until Sunday 10/10. However, you can keep entering the first-table version of it early, which is what Negreanu did. Basically one has unlimited chances to "cash" by simply entering over and over, until getting lucky enough to advance.

Poker pro DJ Mackinnon thinks it's a "joke", and I agree.

https://twitter.com/djmacjr/status/1446959685030985729

Anyone deep pocketed can easily place themselves in the final 12.5% here, and then take a shot at the bracelet.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I should clarify. The event doesn't begin until Sunday 10/10. However, you can keep entering the first-table version of it early, which is what Negreanu did. Basically one has unlimited chances to "cash" by simply entering over and over, until getting lucky enough to advance.

Poker pro DJ Mackinnon thinks it's a "joke", and I agree.

https://twitter.com/djmacjr/status/1446959685030985729

Anyone deep pocketed can easily place themselves in the final 12.5% here, and then take a shot at the bracelet.
    I tried to bring up the whole monkey test thing to Kevmath and he discounted it saying a monkey wouldnt know which card to ditch (as it was pineapple format essentially). I tried to explain even with a 1 outta 3 chance at worse and dumb luck via a river suckout indeed a monkey could cash in the flipament

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I have won the same number of bracelets as Negreanu in the last 8 WSOPs.

Feeling good about my game.

Thread Information