View Poll Results: What should Brianne and Tommy do in this situation?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree to pay the $2000

    3 10.00%
  • Negotiate it down to $1000, or otherwise refuse to pay

    1 3.33%
  • Negotiate it down to $500, or otherwise refuse to pay

    3 10.00%
  • Demand a full accounting of verifiable replacement cost, and not pay otherwise

    15 50.00%
  • Agree to pay only for damage Brianne's kids caused (not Marie's)

    1 3.33%
  • Refuse to pay anything

    4 13.33%
  • Other

    3 10.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: You Make the Call: Damaged Banquet Chocolates Edition

  1. #41
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    7267
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44,964
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Issue 6: Are hotel guests responsible for the actions of the children of their visitors, when in common areas? Should Brianne be expected to pay for all of the damage, or only for the damage caused by her kid?
    Yes, because as the hotelís contracted guest, Brianne accepted responsibility for the damages caused by HER visitors to the room, and leaving the children unsupervised to wreak havoc in the hotel is the responsibility of the party who paid for the room. But Brianne could then sue her adult friends of the minor who participated in the crime for her share of the damages.
    It's actually not that simple, because these weren't "guests" of Brianne's. They weren't staying in her room.

    Remember when you came to meet me in the Rio sportsbook? You specifically came into the Rio to visit me. However, if we were walking around after that, and you destroyed things in a drunken rampage, the responsibilty would be yours, not mine. This would even be true if you came up to my room for an hour or two. On the other hand, if you got drunk and destroyed stuff in my room, then it would definitely be my responsibility, unless I could quikcly have you detained. See the difference?

    I still believe that Brianne should only legally be responsible for what was done by her daughter, and not by the other kids.

    However, there's the ban issue, where Resorts World could simply take the position that they get reimbursed, or they will ban both Tommy and Brianne permanently. That mostly makes this a moot point, since Tommy wants to be able to go back.

    But from a legal standpoint, it's not so clear. I'm not saying I'm sure you're wrong, but you might be.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

    Yes, because as the hotel’s contracted guest, Brianne accepted responsibility for the damages caused by HER visitors to the room, and leaving the children unsupervised to wreak havoc in the hotel is the responsibility of the party who paid for the room. But Brianne could then sue her adult friends of the minor who participated in the crime for her share of the damages.
    It's actually not that simple, because these weren't "guests" of Brianne's. They weren't staying in her room.

    Remember when you came to meet me in the Rio sportsbook? You specifically came into the Rio to visit me. However, if we were walking around after that, and you destroyed things in a drunken rampage, the responsibilty would be yours, not mine. This would even be true if you came up to my room for an hour or two. On the other hand, if you got drunk and destroyed stuff in my room, then it would definitely be my responsibility, unless I could quikcly have you detained. See the difference?

    I still believe that Brianne should only legally be responsible for what was done by her daughter, and not by the other kids.

    However, there's the ban issue, where Resorts World could simply take the position that they get reimbursed, or they will ban both Tommy and Brianne permanently. That mostly makes this a moot point, since Tommy wants to be able to go back.

    But from a legal standpoint, it's not so clear. I'm not saying I'm sure you're wrong, but you might be.
    Each of the Parents should pay for what their OWN children did, not pay for the other Parents' Kids. Let's say you and three of your Adult Friends and each of you have 3 kids. All 10 of go to some Ice Sculpture show.

    All of a sudden, all four of you Adults need to pee at around the same time, so you tell the oldest kid who is 13 to stay watch all 5 kids. She agrees, and she is holding the youngest, who is a 1 year old baby. The other 4 kids run to the ice sculpture and play with it, despite the 13 year old strictly telling them not to play with the ice sculpture.

    Lo and behold, all four kids end up breaking the VERY expensive ice sculpture that is in the thousands and the People in charge of the ice sculpture show are FURIOUS when all of you Adults come back from peeing. You see the broken ice sculpture and the People in charge of the Ice Sculpture show demand you Adults pay for the damage to the Ice Sculpture, or have Charges pressed.

    Technically, each pair of Parents hould ONLY be paying for what their own kids broke, not the other Friends' children. Let's say the Ice Sculpture is $4,000. You and your Wife have 2 kids who were involved in breaking the Ice Sculpture and your two Friends also have two kids who broke the Ice Sculpture. 13 year old and 1 year old baby had nothing to do with the Ice Sculpture being broken and are Brother and Sister. You and your Wife should pay $2,000 for your Kids and your Friends should pay $2,000 for their Kids..
    Last edited by Karen Nathan; 10-17-2021 at 08:00 PM.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen Nathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

    It's actually not that simple, because these weren't "guests" of Brianne's. They weren't staying in her room.

    Remember when you came to meet me in the Rio sportsbook? You specifically came into the Rio to visit me. However, if we were walking around after that, and you destroyed things in a drunken rampage, the responsibilty would be yours, not mine. This would even be true if you came up to my room for an hour or two. On the other hand, if you got drunk and destroyed stuff in my room, then it would definitely be my responsibility, unless I could quikcly have you detained. See the difference?

    I still believe that Brianne should only legally be responsible for what was done by her daughter, and not by the other kids.

    However, there's the ban issue, where Resorts World could simply take the position that they get reimbursed, or they will ban both Tommy and Brianne permanently. That mostly makes this a moot point, since Tommy wants to be able to go back.

    But from a legal standpoint, it's not so clear. I'm not saying I'm sure you're wrong, but you might be.
    Each of the Parents should pay for what their OWN children did, not pay for the other Parents' Kids. Let's say you and three of your Adult Friends and each of you have 3 kids. All 10 of go to some Ice Sculpture show.

    All of a sudden, all four of you Adults need to pee at around the same time, so you tell the oldest kid who is 13 to stay watch all 5 kids. She agrees, and she is holding the youngest, who is a 1 year old baby. The other 4 kids run to the ice sculpture and play with it, despite the 13 year old strictly telling them not to play with the ice sculpture.

    Lo and behold, all four kids end up breaking the VERY expensive ice sculpture that is in the thousands and the People in charge of the ice sculpture show are FURIOUS when all of you Adults come back from peeing. You see the broken ice sculpture and the People in charge of the Ice Sculpture show demand you Adults pay for the damage to the Ice Sculpture, or have Charges pressed.

    Technically, each pair of Parents hould ONLY be paying for what their own kids broke, not the other Friends' children. Let's say the Ice Sculpture is $4,000. You and your Wife have 2 kids who were involved in breaking the Ice Sculpture and your two Friends also have two kids who broke the Ice Sculpture. 13 year old and 1 year old baby had nothing to do with the Ice Sculpture being broken and are Brother and Sister. You and your Wife should pay $2,000 for your Kids and your Friends should pay $2,000 for their Kids..
    Why in the fuck did you just change this story to ice instead of chocolate?
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen Nathan View Post

    Each of the Parents should pay for what their OWN children did, not pay for the other Parents' Kids. Let's say you and three of your Adult Friends and each of you have 3 kids. All 10 of go to some Ice Sculpture show.

    All of a sudden, all four of you Adults need to pee at around the same time, so you tell the oldest kid who is 13 to stay watch all 5 kids. She agrees, and she is holding the youngest, who is a 1 year old baby. The other 4 kids run to the ice sculpture and play with it, despite the 13 year old strictly telling them not to play with the ice sculpture.

    Lo and behold, all four kids end up breaking the VERY expensive ice sculpture that is in the thousands and the People in charge of the ice sculpture show are FURIOUS when all of you Adults come back from peeing. You see the broken ice sculpture and the People in charge of the Ice Sculpture show demand you Adults pay for the damage to the Ice Sculpture, or have Charges pressed.

    Technically, each pair of Parents hould ONLY be paying for what their own kids broke, not the other Friends' children. Let's say the Ice Sculpture is $4,000. You and your Wife have 2 kids who were involved in breaking the Ice Sculpture and your two Friends also have two kids who broke the Ice Sculpture. 13 year old and 1 year old baby had nothing to do with the Ice Sculpture being broken and are Brother and Sister. You and your Wife should pay $2,000 for your Kids and your Friends should pay $2,000 for their Kids..
    Why in the fuck did you just change this story to ice instead of chocolate?
    Ice Sculpture is just an example for my example, and besides, Ice Sculptures are WAY more expensive than chocolates.

  5. #45
    100% Organic MumblesBadly's Avatar
    Reputation
    85
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    In the many threads of this forum
    Posts
    8,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

    Yes, because as the hotelís contracted guest, Brianne accepted responsibility for the damages caused by HER visitors to the room, and leaving the children unsupervised to wreak havoc in the hotel is the responsibility of the party who paid for the room. But Brianne could then sue her adult friends of the minor who participated in the crime for her share of the damages.
    It's actually not that simple, because these weren't "guests" of Brianne's. They weren't staying in her room.

    Remember when you came to meet me in the Rio sportsbook? You specifically came into the Rio to visit me. However, if we were walking around after that, and you destroyed things in a drunken rampage, the responsibilty would be yours, not mine. This would even be true if you came up to my room for an hour or two. On the other hand, if you got drunk and destroyed stuff in my room, then it would definitely be my responsibility, unless I could quikcly have you detained. See the difference?

    I still believe that Brianne should only legally be responsible for what was done by her daughter, and not by the other kids.

    However, there's the ban issue, where Resorts World could simply take the position that they get reimbursed, or they will ban both Tommy and Brianne permanently. That mostly makes this a moot point, since Tommy wants to be able to go back.

    But from a legal standpoint, it's not so clear. I'm not saying I'm sure you're wrong, but you might be.
    But Brianneís adult friendsí children were supposed to stay in Brianneís room under orders from the parents AND with Brianneís approval. Thatís when Brianne implicitly accepted responsibility for her guestís childrenís behavior in the hotel. If Brianne had instead declined to let her friendís kid stay in her room, she would not have been accepting responsibility for their behavior in the hotel, as the parents would then need to find another place to park their kid(s) while doing their own stuff away from them.

     
    Comments
      
      Jayjami: Nice reasoning Mumbles
      
      gimmick:
    _____________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

    It's actually not that simple, because these weren't "guests" of Brianne's. They weren't staying in her room.

    Remember when you came to meet me in the Rio sportsbook? You specifically came into the Rio to visit me. However, if we were walking around after that, and you destroyed things in a drunken rampage, the responsibilty would be yours, not mine. This would even be true if you came up to my room for an hour or two. On the other hand, if you got drunk and destroyed stuff in my room, then it would definitely be my responsibility, unless I could quikcly have you detained. See the difference?

    I still believe that Brianne should only legally be responsible for what was done by her daughter, and not by the other kids.

    However, there's the ban issue, where Resorts World could simply take the position that they get reimbursed, or they will ban both Tommy and Brianne permanently. That mostly makes this a moot point, since Tommy wants to be able to go back.

    But from a legal standpoint, it's not so clear. I'm not saying I'm sure you're wrong, but you might be.
    But Brianne’s adult friends’ children were supposed to stay in Brianne’s room under orders from the parents AND with Brianne’s approval. That’s when Brianne implicitly accepted responsibility for her guest’s children’s behavior in the hotel. If Brianne had instead declined to let her friend’s kid stay in her room, she would not have been accepting responsibility for their behavior in the hotel, as the parents would then need to find another place to park their kid(s) while doing their own stuff away from them.
    This is what I was getting at with my broken Ice Sculpture example. Parents need to each pay for a share for what their OWN kids broke. So each Parent needs to cough up about $300. Edit. I was under the impression that Marie had a Husband. It appears she is single Mother, so actually, Marie, the Single Mother should pay about $600, Tommy and Brianne should pay about $600.
    Last edited by Karen Nathan; 10-18-2021 at 06:02 PM.

  7. #47
    A buddy of mine told me the exact opposite of this story this morning.

    I met this dude years ago when he was a school teacher in Vegas who worked with my closest friend. Great dude, MN native, and I really just loved this dude from the start. Really good athlete. Played minor league ball. Could throw a football close to 70 yards. Hit a golf ball like a pro. Just one of those dudes you hit it off with immediately and we became friends who golfed and drank with us on every trip. My buddy isnít a gambler and was already married with young kids, so weíd go out and drink and gamble at night once my buddy called it a night and headed home to his family. Weíve been friends ever since.

    He was an excellent teacher like my buddy and they were coaching everything both being good athletes. The district wanted to fast track my friend and him into administration when they were both young teachers, but Vegas doesnít pay shit, and he left for the private sector and was the one who eventually got my buddy to leave. Heís done really well for himself.

    Heís a fantastic story teller and I wonít do this justice, but he had me in tears laughing as he explained this story to me.

    He moved back to MN after starting a family and was traveling to visit his in laws from Minnesota and stopped to stay at a hotel in Illinois. He was always a pot head. Way back then and still. I guess they have legal weed there, so he notices a dispensary next to a restaurant, and when they all sit down to eat he runs over to this store to grab a few pens.

    I havenít smoked weed in 25 years, so I donít know what he bought or anything, but later when they get to their hotel and were in for the night, he went into the bathroom to take a shower and hit this thing. He takes all his clothes off to take a shower. He took a hit and was sitting down on the edge of the shower enclosure that was like also a tub. He said it really didnít hit him at first, and he recalls looking at some marble design on the wall by the shower as he took a second hit. I have no idea what he bought, as this dude is a life long pot head, but it was clearly strong as fuck.

    The literal next thing he remembers is his wife screaming his name and wondering what the hell was going on. He wakes up laying on his back naked in a pool of water that had flowed from the now broken toilet into the main room where his wife and kids are. The door is locked and sheís banging on it.

    He has no recollection of standing up, but he obviously stood up and took a header right into the toilet. And he didnít just knock it askew, he broke a porcelain toilet into what he described as 50 pieces. Absolutely smashed it. Heís lucky he didnít hit his head or he might be dead, but somehow twisted when he fell and hit it under his armpit. He thinks he may have broke a rib. He doesnít know how he did it or why he smashed it so badly. Heís just totally confused.

    So heís laying on his back rolling around in all the broken pieces of the toilet as he comes to, then opens the door to talk to his wife.

    There is a knock on the door almost immediately as someone heard him smash this thing or it had flooded the floor below. They didnít call him.

    Either way, he throws on a towel to talk to the maintenance guy. He goes out and tells the maintenance guy the toilet broke, and the maintenance guy walks in and said ,Ēholy shit man, are you ok?Ē

    My buddy didnít even notice that when he was laying there, he was clearly rolling around in all these shards of broken porcelain. He had cuts all over his ass that he didnít even notice and when he got up, his ass is bleeding and he got blood smudges all over the wall in his confused state as he was rushing to throw on a towel and bumping up against shit.

    His ass is bleeding through the towel. He said it looked like a murder scene with all these pieces of toilet and swathes of his blood everywhere his ass touched with this pool of rust colored water from his blood on the floor.

    He said he never told the dude he was sitting on the toilet, but the guy just assumed as itís smashed and heís bleeding from his ass through a towel with blood on the walls. Dude just assumed he sat down and for some reason it broke into all these pieces. It looks like it just collapsed as he sat on it.

    The maintenance guy starts apologizing profusely and saying there must have been some cracks in the porcelain base they didnít notice.

    He gets he water to stop and says this is going to take awhile, so they move him and his family to another suite and couldnít be nicer as they have no idea he was high as fuck and took a header into this thing. The manager called him to personally apologize once heís in the next room. Then the general manager who works days called again an hour later asking him if he needs medical attention. He says heís fine and itís no big deal. He said he felt horrible as they were being so nice and apologetic thinking this is on them, but he wasnít about to tell them what really happened.

    They enjoy the rest of their stay that night except for the top of his ribs are throbbing, and him and his wife are laughing at the absurdity of it and the kids have no idea wtf happened.

    He goes to check out the next morning and they comped the whole stay and were trying to buy him breakfast, offering him future stays, but he says thatís not necessary and they just want to get on the road.

    The general manager comes out as sheís in now and is ordering the bellmen to go grab everyoneís stuff because he got hurt. Heís saying it isnít necessary, but the manager is scolding him and insisting that he isnít carrying anything after his nasty spill, and sheís as apologetic as the manager from the previous night and apologizing and worrying heís going to sue them still as he leaves. She gave him her card as heís leaving asking him to please contact her if he has any further problems and thanking him for being so understanding and to please come back and call her first so that they can take care of him.

    So the moral of the story is if youíre going to do damage at a hotel, smoke some weed and take a header into their toilet and instead of owing $2k, theyíll pay for your whole stay and kiss your ass until you leave.

  8. #48
    100% Organic MumblesBadly's Avatar
    Reputation
    85
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    In the many threads of this forum
    Posts
    8,993
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    A buddy of mine told me the exact opposite of this story this morning.

    I met this dude years ago when he was a school teacher in Vegas who worked with my closest friend. Great dude, MN native, and I really just loved this dude from the start. Really good athlete. Played minor league ball. Could throw a football close to 70 yards. Hit a golf ball like a pro. Just one of those dudes you hit it off with immediately and we became friends who golfed and drank with us on every trip. My buddy isnít a gambler and was already married with young kids, so weíd go out and drink and gamble at night once my buddy called it a night and headed home to his family. Weíve been friends ever since.

    He was an excellent teacher like my buddy and they were coaching everything both being good athletes. The district wanted to fast track my friend and him into administration when they were both young teachers, but Vegas doesnít pay shit, and he left for the private sector and was the one who eventually got my buddy to leave. Heís done really well for himself.

    Heís a fantastic story teller and I wonít do this justice, but he had me in tears laughing as he explained this story to me.

    He moved back to MN after starting a family and was traveling to visit his in laws from Minnesota and stopped to stay at a hotel in Illinois. He was always a pot head. Way back then and still. I guess they have legal weed there, so he notices a dispensary next to a restaurant, and when they all sit down to eat he runs over to this store to grab a few pens.

    I havenít smoked weed in 25 years, so I donít know what he bought or anything, but later when they get to their hotel and were in for the night, he went into the bathroom to take a shower and hit this thing. He takes all his clothes off to take a shower. He took a hit and was sitting down on the edge of the shower enclosure that was like also a tub. He said it really didnít hit him at first, and he recalls looking at some marble design on the wall by the shower as he took a second hit. I have no idea what he bought, as this dude is a life long pot head, but it was clearly strong as fuck.

    The literal next thing he remembers is his wife screaming his name and wondering what the hell was going on. He wakes up laying on his back naked in a pool of water that had flowed from the now broken toilet into the main room where his wife and kids are. The door is locked and sheís banging on it.

    He has no recollection of standing up, but he obviously stood up and took a header right into the toilet. And he didnít just knock it askew, he broke a porcelain toilet into what he described as 50 pieces. Absolutely smashed it. Heís lucky he didnít hit his head or he might be dead, but somehow twisted when he fell and hit it under his armpit. He thinks he may have broke a rib. He doesnít know how he did it or why he smashed it so badly. Heís just totally confused.

    So heís laying on his back rolling around in all the broken pieces of the toilet as he comes to, then opens the door to talk to his wife.

    There is a knock on the door almost immediately as someone heard him smash this thing or it had flooded the floor below. They didnít call him.

    Either way, he throws on a towel to talk to the maintenance guy. He goes out and tells the maintenance guy the toilet broke, and the maintenance guy walks in and said ,Ēholy shit man, are you ok?Ē

    My buddy didnít even notice that when he was laying there, he was clearly rolling around in all these shards of broken porcelain. He had cuts all over his ass that he didnít even notice and when he got up, his ass is bleeding and he got blood smudges all over the wall in his confused state as he was rushing to throw on a towel and bumping up against shit.

    His ass is bleeding through the towel. He said it looked like a murder scene with all these pieces of toilet and swathes of his blood everywhere his ass touched with this pool of rust colored water from his blood on the floor.

    He said he never told the dude he was sitting on the toilet, but the guy just assumed as itís smashed and heís bleeding from his ass through a towel with blood on the walls. Dude just assumed he sat down and for some reason it broke into all these pieces. It looks like it just collapsed as he sat on it.

    The maintenance guy starts apologizing profusely and saying there must have been some cracks in the porcelain base they didnít notice.

    He gets he water to stop and says this is going to take awhile, so they move him and his family to another suite and couldnít be nicer as they have no idea he was high as fuck and took a header into this thing. The manager called him to personally apologize once heís in the next room. Then the general manager who works days called again an hour later asking him if he needs medical attention. He says heís fine and itís no big deal. He said he felt horrible as they were being so nice and apologetic thinking this is on them, but he wasnít about to tell them what really happened.

    They enjoy the rest of their stay that night except for the top of his ribs are throbbing, and him and his wife are laughing at the absurdity of it and the kids have no idea wtf happened.

    He goes to check out the next morning and they comped the whole stay and were trying to buy him breakfast, offering him future stays, but he says thatís not necessary and they just want to get on the road.

    The general manager comes out as sheís in now and is ordering the bellmen to go grab everyoneís stuff because he got hurt. Heís saying it isnít necessary, but the manager is scolding him and insisting that he isnít carrying anything after his nasty spill, and sheís as apologetic as the manager from the previous night and apologizing and worrying heís going to sue them still as he leaves. She gave him her card as heís leaving asking him to please contact her if he has any further problems and thanking him for being so understanding and to please come back and call her first so that they can take care of him.

    So the moral of the story is if youíre going to do damage at a hotel, smoke some weed and take a header into their toilet and instead of owing $2k, theyíll pay for your whole stay and kiss your ass until you leave.
    I hope that header your friend took taught him a lesson about the danger of smoking dope.

     
    Öwhile standing up.
    _____________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. YOU MAKE THE CALL - Tipping edition
    By Dan Druff in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 04-11-2019, 03:33 PM
  2. You make the call: Loan sharking edition
    By Dan Druff in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11-11-2015, 03:47 AM
  3. You Make the Call: Dry Cleaning Edition
    By PLOL in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 10-04-2014, 09:06 PM
  4. You Make the Call: Gas Station Edition
    By Dan Druff in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 07:47 PM
  5. You Make the Call - Deli Manager Edition
    By Dan Druff in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 151
    Last Post: 06-17-2012, 09:43 AM