Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: ***OFFICIAL*** NBA 2021-22 thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Just judging from you and gut, neither of you are particularly enthusiastic about the team. You’ve done the love Dame but can’t improve thing now for like six years straight. You can kind of guess the season trajectory before it starts. I pick up that on nba boards among Blazer fans. Usually among the most rabid, but kind of tired of the whole win 45-52 games and second round exit thing. Lot of do something, anything, different feel. I’d guess it’s just bleeding over t the fans. Plus I was watching that game as the Cavs were also playing and I was flipping back and forth. Both games were very weird where Dame and Cj weren’t shooting particularly well, probably like high 30% combined, but you were winning through the rare defensive effort and Nurkic and others playing decent. Plus Ja was incredibly sloppy with the ball and many probably showed to see him like you. He was meh. None of the usual crowd pleasers were really doing anything.

Cavs shot 3/20 from 3 and couldn’t hit a shot and won by double digits. I thought this was going to be a horrible defensive team and somehow it’s now the strength with all the size. The Lakers blew a 26 point lead against OKC which I watched the last few quarters of. Strangest comeback ever we OKC didn’t even want to win and couldn’t give it away. At the end of the night I thought what a weird ass basketball night.

I noticed on Cavs board it was a little subdued for a big win. Like is this sustainable? It was like there was a full moon last night for all those late games.
    Hopefully for one more game it is. I am snap betting them against Lakers when my book releases line if it is anything more than +4.
    I hope so. I’m baffled at what I’m seeing. Markkinen shutting down Paul George all night. Teams afraid to drive inside and dribbling in and kicking back out with their 3 seven footers. One thing is Mobely hasn’t been in foul trouble necessarily, but has had 3 by half. Last night when I was watching the Lakers, they had Deandre at C and AD still at the 4. That’s a handful for the kid in game 6. Having Allen and Mobely both in there is huge. When one is off, it’s instantly noticeable. That said, the Lakers are playing bad and I expected the Cavs to start 0-7, so I’m always kind of pessimistic about my own team.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

They did check for Vax cards/negative test.

I could definitely see that getting lengthy but wasn't an issue for me. Crowd was 80% full, very light for the Blazers, but quiet.
    Just judging from you and gut, neither of you are particularly enthusiastic about the team. You’ve done the love Dame but can’t improve thing now for like six years straight. You can kind of guess the season trajectory before it starts. I pick up that on nba boards among Blazer fans. Usually among the most rabid, but kind of tired of the whole win 45-52 games and second round exit thing. Lot of do something, anything, different feel. I’d guess it’s just bleeding over t the fans. Plus I was watching that game as the Cavs were also playing and I was flipping back and forth. Both games were very weird where Dame and Cj weren’t shooting particularly well, probably like high 30% combined, but you were winning through the rare defensive effort and Nurkic and others playing decent. Plus Ja was incredibly sloppy with the ball and many probably showed to see him like you. He was meh. None of the usual crowd pleasers were really doing anything.

Cavs shot 3/20 from 3 and couldn’t hit a shot and won by double digits. I thought this was going to be a horrible defensive team and somehow it’s now the strength with all the size. The Lakers blew a 26 point lead against OKC which I watched the last few quarters of. Strangest comeback ever we OKC didn’t even want to win and couldn’t give it away. At the end of the night I thought what a weird ass basketball night.

I noticed on Cavs board it was a little subdued for a big win. Like is this sustainable? It was like there was a full moon last night for all those late games.
    I mean, I know irl, and thus probably on here, i've been saying trade CJ for at least 3-4 years. Great player, seems like a good dude....but doesn't fit with Dame. You win titles now with a couple wings/bigs who can be ball dominant/quasi-PG's and provide solid defense as well. You can win a title with ONE of a Dame/CJ type (Golden State) but not two of them being turnstiles on the other end.

Still hoping for a CJ package for Simmons....but who knows. We are slowly approaching "Dame wants out" territory, so they have to do something quick, or else it might become a full rebuild.

Oh and Nurkic basically fucking blows now, injuries seemed to have sapped him of anything.

Load Metric
    My book has it Cavs +8.6 Kalam, so better than you hoped

Gold
    Load Metric
    My book had +7. I guess this assumes Lebron is playing. Even with Lebron playing this is way too high IMO. Took it.

Also, even though he has been fairly effective while playing, Vogel has Deandre Jordan on the Javale McGee playing schedule, which means playing the first 5 minutes of each half and that is it. So I wouldn't worry too much about him and Davis giving the Cavs big men problems. He doesn't play enough, including never touching the court in the 4th Q.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

I mean, I know irl, and thus probably on here, i've been saying trade CJ for at least 3-4 years. Great player, seems like a good dude....but doesn't fit with Dame. You win titles now with a couple wings/bigs who can be ball dominant/quasi-PG's and provide solid defense as well. You can win a title with ONE of a Dame/CJ type (Golden State) but not two of them being turnstiles on the other end.

Still hoping for a CJ package for Simmons....but who knows. We are slowly approaching "Dame wants out" territory, so they have to do something quick, or else it might become a full rebuild.

Oh and Nurkic basically fucking blows now, injuries seemed to have sapped him of anything.
    CJ + X for Simmons has definitely been offered and Philly is standing firm that they want elite talent back. Daryl may pull the trigger if he averages like 28 for the first half but he's a streaky scorer historically.

Frankly, the Blazers should put Dame on the table for Simmons and Thybulle. Blazers instantly become good defensively and maybe CJ can produce 75% of Dame's offense if in the driver's seat. Would certainly raise the ceiling for Portland and is absolute best case scenario for Philly out of this mess even though Embiid + Lillard wouldn't be nearly as good as it sounds.

Nurkic doesn't look heavier (slimmer if anything) but is definitely a step slow and seems checked out at times. I feel better when Cody Zeller is out there; Less offense but more likely to play hard and not smoke lay ups.

Simons' mentality seems a lot better, more confident and assertive. Portland is just inertia; they'll probably be up and down, finish sixth and get bounced in five. I'll stop posting about them.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Went to Blazers tonight, quietest and smallest crowd I've ever experienced since going to Bobcats/Hornets in early 2010's.

Normally Moda Center is rocking even for Tuesday night games against the dregs of the East. At least they came on in the second half.

Mainly went to see Ja Morant in person.
    Why was the crowd dead? Coronavirus restriction related?

I was talking to a guy who went to the UCLA/Oregon game at the Rose Bowl, and he said for the whole stadium there was only a few single file lines for everyone to show their Vax cards or proof of negative test, and it was brutally slow and took over an hour just to get through that line. He said the game was actually good, but making it so hard to get in wasn't worth it, and he wouldn't be attending another game until they are done with the check.
    I’ve been to hundreds of sporting events, and in my opinion, regular season NBA games are the worst bang for your buck as far as entertainment value. The only player I’d pay to see is Luka Doncic, because I’ve never seen him live.

Load Metric
    My book had +7. I guess this assumes Lebron is playing. Even with Lebron playing this is way too high IMO. Took it.

Also, even though he has been fairly effective while playing, Vogel has Deandre Jordan on the Javale McGee playing schedule, which means playing the first 5 minutes of each half and that is it. So I wouldn't worry too much about him and Davis giving the Cavs big men problems. He doesn't play enough, including never touching the court in the 4th Q.
    Figured LeBron would come back against the Cavs if he could.

Don’t have any player props on game,. My book still at 8. I wouldn’t touch it. If I had to bet it, I’d bet Cavs, but also could see them bullying us on the wrong night. That’s just really a vets against kids matchup. Probably will depend if Sexton or Garland happen to have some hot shorting night.

LA Lakers
    (179)

+8

Load Metric
    This belongs more in the wagering thread, but being a football Sunday and given only an NBA fan can truly appreciate this, I’ll put it here.

I bet the noon thru 330CFB games, then decide what I’ll do in the evening. Had a good afternoon with MSU comeback and West Virginia winning straight up. Didn’t like like the Ohio State line as they always play us tough, so see Cavs +9.5 at Suns. They actually played the Lakers closer than the score indicated the night before and got some bad calls and missed a bunch of bunnies. Suns haven’t looked great, so b2b, but I thought 9.5 felt a little high.

I’m still watching Ohio State game and only checking it out during breaks, but Cavs start off hot. Up 11 or so. Good start. Buckeye game ends as I flip over. They are starting to bleed out a little but keeping a lead.

This is about where I turn in. Cavs take 46-39 lead with 4:47 in second quarter.

4:47 Darius Garland makes 7-foot driving floating jump shot 46 - 39

I proceed to watch the worst basketball possible. They don’t score again for last nearly five minutes and go into half down 50-46.

They score a few points right when second half starts, but don’t cross the 56 barrier until Kevin Love hits a 3 down by 24 nearing 3 minutes in 3rd. I’m pretty sure I can patch together a full twelve minute quarter where they don’t score a point from last five minutes of first half and between 10 minute mark of third until Kevin hits this shot to cut their 24 point lead to 21. I have 9.5. Given the trajectory of this game, I’m dead.

3:12 Kevin Love makes 25-foot three point jumper 57 - 78

I turn it off in disgust. I flip back with about 4 minutes left in the game, it’s still hovering between 15-17. it was 17 with 2:48 left in the game.

It’s not unheard of to win the battle of the scrubs and get lucky or unlucky, but the Cavs have emptied their bench while the Suns still have their starters in all the way. I found this the most laughable roller coaster luckbox last few minutes ever, which included Chris Paul missing 4 straight free throws, getting there only to then start fouling, including with 2.4 seconds left.

I’ve been gambling for 35 years. I found this one of the most dogshit bets and improbable wins. Not in the win % sense, but you had to see the absolute futility to appreciate it, coupled with us putting in our scrubs and them playing their starters until the buzzer. I had written this off as an L .

The last couple minutes where I entertained I might possibly still win after we had cut it from 17 at 2:48 to 14.

2:17 Suns Full timeout 81 - 95
    2:08 Devin Booker bad pass (Cedi Osman steals) 81 - 95
    2:00 Dylan Windler makes two point shot (Lamar Stevens assists) 83 - 95
    1:48 Denzel Valentine personal foul 83 - 95
    1:46 Denzel Valentine personal foul 83 - 95
    1:46 Chris Paul misses free throw 1 of 2 83 - 95
    1:46 Suns offensive team rebound 83 - 95
    1:46 Chris Paul misses free throw 2 of 2 83 - 95
    1:43 Denzel Valentine defensive rebound 83 - 95
    1:24 Dean Wade misses 27-foot three point jumper 83 - 95
    1:21 Dylan Windler offensive rebound 83 - 95
    1:21 Dylan Windler makes tip shot 85 - 95
    1:09 Devin Booker makes 10-foot two point shot (Chris Paul assists) 85 - 97
    55.1 Lamar Stevens makes 16-foot step back jumpshot 87 - 97
    46.9 Suns Full timeout 87 - 97
    30.5 Devin Booker misses 16-foot two point shot 87 - 97
    30.5 Dean Wade defensive rebound 87 - 97
    25.0 Cedi Osman makes 27-foot running pullup jump shot 90 - 97
    23.0 Cedi Osman personal foul 90 - 97
    23.0 Chris Paul misses free throw 1 of 2 90 - 97
    23.0 Suns offensive team rebound 90 - 97
    23.0 Chris Paul misses free throw 2 of 2 90 - 97
    21.8 Dean Wade defensive rebound 90 - 97
    15.6 Cedi Osman misses 26-foot three point jumper 90 - 97
    11.9 Dylan Windler offensive rebound 90 - 97
    11.6 Dylan Windler makes two point shot 92 - 97
    10.0 Dean Wade personal take foul 92 - 97
    10.0 Devin Booker makes free throw 1 of 2 92 - 98
    10.0 Devin Booker makes free throw 2 of 2 92 - 99
    10.0 Cavaliers Full timeout 92 - 99
    10.0 Cameron Johnson enters the game for JaVale McGee 92 - 99
    6.7 Cedi Osman misses 26-foot three point jumper 92 - 99
    3.3 Devin Booker defensive rebound 92 - 99
    2.4 Dean Wade personal take foul 92 - 99
    2.4 Devin Booker makes free throw 1 of 2 92 - 100
    2.4 Devin Booker makes free throw 2 of 2 92 - 101
    0.3 Lamar Stevens lost ball turnover (Chris Paul steals) 92 - 101
    0.0 End of the 4th Quarter 92 - 101
    0.0 End of Game 92 - 101

+9.5 good.

Gold
    Load Metric
    I just had the most WTF decision happen in a basketball game that ultimately probably cost me $$. Anyways, with about 2 minutes left in the Laker-Rocket game Bazemore gets a steal and is fouled. And the refs signal Lakers are in the bonus and get 2 free throws. He makes both. Ok.

Then a couple possessions later where there is about a minute left in the game the refs inexplicably decide to review the foul on Bazemore and decide the Lakers weren't in the bonus. So they take the 2 points off the board. So the Lakers retroactively just completely lose a possession because of ref error, that the refs dont notice until way after the fact. How is that the rule? This is especially egregious because the Lakers played a full minute plus thinking they were up by 2 more points; so they would have possibly played those possessions differently.

Of course Lakers won anyways, so they dont care, and this will all go away quietly. But I bet the Lakers 2nd half cover and they missed it by 2 points, so I definitely care. I actually wish the Lakers had lost the game, in which case this would definitely have become an issue, whereas now the NBA can quietly move on and pretend it never happened.

As an aside, Lakers should have covered the 2nd half anyways, but Jalen Green hit 2 deep miracle 3's in the last 45 seconds so the Rockets covered the 2nd half by 2 points.

FWIW, here is the official box score, where officially Kent Bazemore gets a steal, and then the next official action in the game is the Rockets taking a shot.

2:31 Kevin Porter Jr. lost ball turnover (Kent Bazemore steals) 106 - 114
    2:31 Kevin Porter Jr. personal take foul 106 - 114
    2:31 Carmelo Anthony enters the game for Avery Bradley 106 - 114
    2:13 Anthony Davis blocks Jalen Green 's 28-foot three point jumper 106 - 114
    2:09 Jalen Green offensive rebound 106 - 114
    2:08 Christian Wood makes dunk (Jalen Green assists) 108 - 114
    Last edited by Kalam; 11-02-2021 at 09:26 PM.

Load Metric
    Let’s go Blazers homers.

I laughed when I saw line jump from 3 to 5.5. Got nervous. You know you have bad SF’s when Markkanen going into Covid protocol makes the line jump 2.5. He’s been strangely effective on defense thus far. Just another long body to funnel dudes into the two real seven footers.

I thought about taking the 5.5, but you guys smashed our heads in so bad last year in both matchups that I won’t touch it. Larry Nance Jr will get a hero’s return. He is loved here. No one was ever happier to be in Cleveland than him with his dads history and was pure class on the way out. He is what he is as a player, but great locker room guy and dude.

Load Metric
    Let’s go Blazers homers.

I laughed when I saw line jump from 3 to 5.5. Got nervous. You know you have bad SF’s when Markkanen going into Covid protocol makes the line jump 2.5. He’s been strangely effective on defense thus far. Just another long body to funnel dudes into the two real seven footers.

I thought about taking the 5.5, but you guys smashed our heads in so bad last year in both matchups that I won’t touch it. Larry Nance Jr will get a hero’s return. He is loved here. No one was ever happier to be in Cleveland than him with his dads history and was pure class on the way out. He is what he is as a player, but great locker room guy and dude.
    At least the biggest problem so far is Dame has been bad; that's much more likely to come around.

Cody Zeller is much more useful than Nurkic now and I don't think it's close. That's tough.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Let’s go Blazers homers.

At least the biggest problem so far is Dame has been bad; that's much more likely to come around.

Cody Zeller is much more useful than Nurkic now and I don't think it's close. That's tough.

He certainly doesn’t feel like himself. I’ve only see a few games of yours. Don’t know if it’s rule changes or ball or just a slow start. I don’t view him as a cheap foul guy, but I’ve heard it mentioned as affecting him. When you drew even midway through the fourth, I just expected him to choke us out with a few daggers

He’s always been that dude he gets hot and hits three straight. To this point, I haven’t seen it this year. You guys got a bit jobbed on a few plays down the stretch where the refs swallowed the whistle. One on a pivotal possession in waning minutes that was a head scratcher. We also had a bunch of guys who wouldn’t have even been playing if LM was healthy have hot games from 3. I doubt we win had he played as his replacements shot better.

The Cavs have been fun, but also fortunate that this start 3 wookie experiment coincided with rule changes allowing a little more contact. I’m thrilled at Allen’s continued improvement post big contract. His footwork is better and having another big is clearly helping in some way I don’t understand.

There has been ten times in the last twenty years where people thought the East was drawing closer to the west. It’s early, but right now, with Kawhi being out, Nuggets and Phoenix slow start, Lakers being poorly constructed and old, I’m not sure the East isn’t better right now. There certainly isn’t five or six easy East wins at the bottom like normal.

Miami looks really good. I’m not sure Miami, Brooklyn, Bucks isn’t scarier than top of west. Will be interesting to see how Klay comes back. They’re playing so well, no need to rush.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Damn. Jokic just hit Markieff Morris pretty hard with a retaliation cheap shot. In a vacuum wouldn't be too big a deal, but Morris does have a bad neck to begin with (he has missed a ton of time in his career with neck issues) and that combined with him not expecting it at all and Jokic's size he probably really is hurt. Will be interesting to see how the NBA reacts. Apparently Jokic still hasn't subscribed to the unwritten rule that white players in the NBA (especially Euros) are supposed to let themselves get pushed around and beat up by the black players and never fight back. He clearly needs some social justice training.

Load Metric
    Damn. Jokic just hit Markieff Morris pretty hard with a retaliation cheap shot. In a vacuum wouldn't be too big a deal, but Morris does have a bad neck to begin with (he has missed a ton of time in his career with neck issues) and that combined with him not expecting it at all and Jokic's size he probably really is hurt. Will be interesting to see how the NBA reacts. Apparently Jokic still hasn't subscribed to the unwritten rule that white players in the NBA (especially Euros) are supposed to let themselves get pushed around and beat up by the black players and never fight back. He clearly needs some social justice training.
    LOL Jokic rightfully laid him out after that chickenshit hip/elbow check. Don't with with Serbians.

Load Metric
    LOL Jokic rightfully laid him out after that chickenshit hip/elbow check. Don't with with Serbians.
    Absolutely loved it. Those two idiots have lived off being 9 point 4 rebound cheap shot artists for their entire careers. I hope Jokic and his crazy brothers go malice at the palace if he tries to retaliate next go around.

Load Metric
    I'm starting to believe in that Cavs team BCR. Almost (should've) won vs Wiz last night, with no Sexton, Markkanen, and Love. The way Rubio is playing, I wonder if the Sexton injury could be like that old Bill Simmons adage of the "Ewing theory". Team might be better without him.

Mobley is incredibly fun to watch.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I'm starting to believe in that Cavs team BCR. Almost (should've) won vs Wiz last night, with no Sexton, Markkanen, and Love. The way Rubio is playing, I wonder if the Sexton injury could be like that old Bill Simmons adage of the "Ewing theory". Team might be better without him.

Rubio has always been a bit underrated IMO. His only real hole was shooting which he has completely closed.

Load Metric

He was like -16 per 100 possessions, so he’d be a loss if he was in the role he should be of energy 6th man, but as a starter he’s not much of a loss. I mean they scored 90 something and lost by 3, so if they’re going to miss him, that’s why. Just points. That was Mobley‘s worst game imo. Got two early fouls and Montrezl is the type of dude who will give him issues, but I’m starting to think they could win 40-44 games. They should have won the game, but they won one earlier this year against Raps where they never lead until last :45 seconds. Last night was kind of a wash with that game.

Platinum
    Load Metric

He was like -16 per 100 possessions, so he’d be a loss if he was in the role he should be of energy 6th man, but as a starter he’s not much of a loss. I mean they scored 90 something and lost by 3, so if they’re going to miss him, that’s why. Just points. That was Mobley‘s worst game imo. Got two early fouls and Montrezl is the type of dude who will give him issues, but I’m starting to think they could win 40-44 games. They should have won the game, but they won one earlier this year against Raps where they never lead until last :45 seconds. Last night was kind of a wash with that game.
    You should go checkout Luka's +/- numbers. Dallas is 7-4 while Luka has been absolutely horrible. All I heard was he is an MVP surrounded by terrible players.

Load Metric
    I’m shocked at how much they’re letting them play this year. It really is some 90s shit. We’ve got fights with Gobert and Serbian brothers buying seats in Miami. We need some rappers to start shooting each other and putting NBA players in diss tracks and we might be in full nostalgia mode.

I love it, and most of the feedback I've read seems to love it unless you’re a Harden or Trae guy, so I’m guessing they’re letting it go because they’re getting positive feedback. I assumed it would be like in years past where they make a big show for a week and then revert. So far they haven’t.

Cavs and Pistons last night was just pure 90s basketball with them swallowing the whistle on some true muggings. I love it given my age, that we have enough skilled players in the league now where it doesn’t ruin games, and it doesn’t hurt that it helps my team with all our size.

We get pushed around a lot as they’re tall, but not thick, but it makes me curious how the playoffs are going to be called?

There was a play where Okoro just got absolutely hammered last night and they let it go. Made me laugh. These 20 year olds never knew that league. He looked befuddled. As long as they apply it evenly, which they seem to be from what I’m seeing, get up and get back on defense.

A team like the Hawks though, there is this assumption they’ll turn it on. They won’t be this bad all year, but if they continue to let them play, they are a much lesser team given how important Trae is to everything.

Comments

Sloppy Joe: It's the best
    Last edited by BCR; 11-13-2021 at 07:08 AM.

Thread Information