Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: ***OFFICIAL*** NBA 2021-22 thread

Load Metric

***OFFICIAL*** NBA 2021-22 thread

Much like how Druff kicked off this thread last year, I find myself getting less and less interested in the league as a whole.

Think the relentless media cycle, ie. 4 fucking months of Ben Simmons trade coverage, has just gotten tiresome for me. Also don't care nearly at all about things that used to interest me, such as how Kyle Lowry will integrate with Miami, what the rebuilt Bulls will look like, etc. The best teams usually win regardless - in the east it will be Brooklyn or Milwaukee, the west probably the Lakers. The Russell Westbrook experiment holds zero interest for me.

At least Portland will have a new system and there was significant coaching changes, but I just don't see any new team on the precipice of breaking through and expect this year to be fairly vanilla, even after a pretty exciting (but COVID influenced) playoffs that saw new blood in the finals.

The one over/under I like is BCR's Cavs winning over 28.5 games, but again who gives a fuck. I'm sure I'll get into it again to some degree but am not expecting much this year.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I think the Lakers are going to be a dysfunctional mess, given Westbrook's arrival.

Only four players are returning from last year. Basically they blew up the failteam surrounding AD/Lebron, and are starting with a whole new supporting cast.

I liked Ariza during his first go-around with the Lakers, but we're in the 2020s now, not the 2000s.

This team should be a good deal better than last year's version, especially if AD/Lebron stay healthy, but it's not going to be without a lot of drama.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I think the Lakers are going to be a dysfunctional mess, given Westbrook's arrival.

Only four players are returning from last year. Basically they blew up the failteam surrounding AD/Lebron, and are starting with a whole new supporting cast.

I liked Ariza during his first go-around with the Lakers, but we're in the 2020s now, not the 2000s.

This team should be a good deal better than last year's version, especially if AD/Lebron stay healthy, but it's not going to be without a lot of drama.
    Blew up last year’s fail team? Year before they won the championship and last year they had the best record in the west until Lebron got hurt. They likely would have still beaten the Suns if AD doesn’t get hurt in the playoffs. Wasn’t their team that was a failure, their two stars couldn’t stay healthy which was the same story as many teams last year.

I’m not saying they’ll win the championship for sure this year but I think you’re wrong about Westbrook. I think he’ll blend in and willingly take a backseat to Lebron and AD. He wants to win and respects those guys.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post

Blew up last year’s fail team? Year before they won the championship and last year they had the best record in the west until Lebron got hurt. They likely would have still beaten the Suns if AD doesn’t get hurt in the playoffs. Wasn’t their team that was a failure, their two stars couldn’t stay healthy which was the same story as many teams last year.

I’m not saying they’ll win the championship for sure this year but I think you’re wrong about Westbrook. I think he’ll blend in and willingly take a backseat to Lebron and AD. He wants to win and respects those guys.

IMO Lebron/AD can rest more with Westbrook during the regular season. You can throw Russell out with anyone and he can chew up minutes.

Then in the playoffs he needs to back off and let AD/Lebron takeover. I think it can work.

Comments

nightmarefish:

Load Metric

I love LeBron teams historically but have just never been into any rendition of Lakers LeBron.

If Anthony Davis is healthy and returns to form they should make the finals. I think it will be a year filled with LeBron drama, Westbrook taking time to settle in, they'll end up like a #3 seed and make the finals. Largely a result of the west no longer being as good and key injuries to others.

Maybe something happens like Luka Doncic going up three levels or the Nuggets get in rhythm, but don't see either happening.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Yes the injuries to the stars were the bigest factor to the Lakers not having a good year last year, but you are kidding yourself if you think AD/Lebron were supported by a strong cast. They weren't. The team without those two was really, really bad.

Obviously there's a reason they only brought back 2 of the 10 supporting players from last year.

I'm just having a really hard time picturing Lebron and Westbrook's egos fitting on the same team. I guess Westbrook is great insurance if they lose either AD or Lebron to injury for an extended period of time, but I really think there's going to be a lot of friction here.

Load Metric
    I don’t see any ego clash. Both are always well-liked by teammates. I don’t think Russ is a dick.

If there is a clash, it’s going to be Lebron is an efficiency machine and Russ is the opposite. So Lebron might occasionally get frustrated at RWB’s shot selection or decision making, but it won’t be personal. It won’t be a clash of egos imo. I don’t see RWB wired that way. He just isn’t a cerebral player.

There will be issues meshing, but the roster is good enough to probably fade it until the finals. Russ is going to have a big adjustment. Knowing your role is one thing, I’m sure he has the proper attitude coming in, but it’s hard to change what you’ve always been. That said, I assume it works itself out early and I assume they’ll work it out by mid-season on most nights.

I mean I think the idea of this Big 3 and the names are better than the fit, but it’s really just are Lebron and AD healthy. If he helps that cause and limits his Russ moments to sporadic lapses, it should be ok. Lebron isn’t what he once was, AD is a big, and they can use his energy if he can be smart.

For his legacy as a player, it’s way more important for Russ. If he goes out there and starts chucking and trying to do everything with two better teammates, it’s just going to be this guy won’t ever get it and his career is a joke of fake numbers. If he can strike a balance, it will greatly improve his legacy. It’s a great opportunity for him given he’s went from fan favorite to fake triple double stat padder dumbass over the last 5 years as far as public opinion. He can really flip the script.

Comments

nightmarefish:
    Last edited by BCR; 10-05-2021 at 10:32 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I don’t see any ego clash. Both are always well-liked by teammates. I don’t think Russ is a dick.

If there is a clash, it’s going to be Lebron is an efficiency machine and Russ is the opposite. So Lebron might occasionally get frustrated at RWB’s shot selection or decision making, but it won’t be personal. It won’t be a clash of egos imo. I don’t see RWB wired that way. He just isn’t a cerebral player.

There will be issues meshing, but the roster is good enough to probably fade it until the finals. Russ is going to have a big adjustment. Knowing your role is one thing, I’m sure he has the proper attitude coming in, but it’s hard to change what you’ve always been. That said, I assume it works itself out early and I assume they’ll work it out by mid-season on most nights.

I mean I think the idea of this Big 3 and the names are better than the fit, but it’s really just are Lebron and AD healthy. If he helps that cause and limits his Russ moments to sporadic lapses, it should be ok. Lebron isn’t what he once was, AD is a big, and they can use his energy if he can be smart.

For his legacy as a player, it’s way more important for Russ. If he goes out there and starts chucking and trying to do everything with two better teammates, it’s just going to be this guy won’t ever get it and his career is a joke of fake numbers. If he can strike a balance, it will greatly improve his legacy. It’s a great opportunity for him given he’s went from fan favorite to fake triple double stat padder dumbass over the last 5 years as far as public opinion. He can really flip the script.
    I think it will work fine, especially for the regular season as many analysts have noted. He'll have nights where he's 6-28 but I think it will work out.

Russ has been domineering over beta cucks like Kevin Durant (actually Russ was probably a top 10 player then but still) and James Harden in the past to his team's detriment but can't possibly think he's superior to LeBron and will fall in line. Anthony Davis will likely get cucked by Russ on camera a few times for being soft, but he's too good if healthy for it to matter long term.

Could ultimately be a non-factor come playoff time. Bet that the Lakers finish as a 3 or 4 seed and make the finals. Do not see any west team knocking off a healthy AD/LeBron team.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    read a rumor that there's going to be a simmons to indiana for sabonis and levert...

if the indy GM does that he deserves to be buried below the bricks at the brickyard...

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    read a rumor that there's going to be a simmons to indiana for sabonis and levert...

if the indy GM does that he deserves to be buried below the bricks at the brickyard...
    Not sure how Sabonis, Embiid and Drummond would work. Trade doesn’t make sense to me. Love Levert though.

Gold
    Load Metric
    So Ariza is injured already. Obviously not a big piece of the puzzle, but this does highlight what is to come IMO. Because of their team age, I think the Lakers and Nets are going to be hurt all year, including all the stars on both teams. My book doesn't have lines yet, but I am definitely taking the under for team wins for both these teams, unless the lines adjust to account for this.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

Not sure how Sabonis, Embiid and Drummond would work. Trade doesn’t make sense to me. Love Levert though.
    wow hadnt been following the 'hot stove'...didnt know they got drummond too...getting sabonis would be like just slapping shit together talent-wise and telling doc to figure out how to make it work...

i know indy doesnt have a super-duper star, but with brogdon, sabonis, levert, turner, warren think they have a really solid squad...i dont know how adding simmons and subtracting sabonis/levert makes them any better...simmons isnt a super-duper star even though people like to hype him to be one...cant disappear during summer basketball and be a super-duper star...

you cant win with simmons as your #1, highly doubtful you can win with him as your #2, and i dont even know if you can win with him as your #3 unless your 1/2 is lebron and super-duper star X...

Load Metric
    18 NBA players indicted for medical fraud.

If you would have blindly just said guess the 18 former players, I think most could have guessed at least half the list.

Milt Palacio
    - Sebastian Telfair
    - Antoine Wright
    - Darius Miles
    - Ruben Patterson
    - Eddie Robinson
    - Gregory Smith
    - Glen Davis
    - Jamario Moon
    - Terrence Williams
    - Alan Anderson
    - Tony Allen
    - Shannon Brown
    - William Bynum
    - Melvin Ely
    - Christopher Douglas-Roberts
    - Tony Wroten

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Boy they were stupid.

https://apnews.com/article/nba-sport...00baf67d9b64e3

Basically they were submitting for reimbursement for fake medical expenses. Not sure if shady doctors/dentists were involved too, but these idiotic players weren't even going through the motions and showing up at the office to pretend the work was done.

Also LOL @ this part:

Williams was also charged with aggravated identity theft, which carries a potential penalty of up to two years in prison.

Strauss said the charge was lodged because Williams tried to frighten a co-defendant into paying a kickback by impersonating an employee from the health plan’s administrative manager, claiming there was an issue with an invoice that might require the co-defendant to pay back money he’d received.
    Interesting how several of these guys were formerly top prospects who ended up having fail careers.

Gold
    Load Metric

If you would have blindly just said guess the 18 former players, I think most could have guessed at least half the list.

Milt Palacio
    - Sebastian Telfair
    - Antoine Wright
    - Darius Miles
    - Ruben Patterson
    - Eddie Robinson
    - Gregory Smith
    - Glen Davis
    - Jamario Moon
    - Terrence Williams
    - Alan Anderson
    - Tony Allen
    - Shannon Brown
    - William Bynum
    - Melvin Ely
    - Tony Wroten
    I doubt we will ever find out for sure, but I really wonder what the story is behind the story that the DA is pressing charges and the media is reporting this. There is some really big names on that list. I assume for only $2.5M (the fraud that has already been given out) the NBA would have rather handled this quietly.

Alos, generally the leftist MSM buries stories about black NBA athletes with legal troubles (while amplifying or even making up stories if the athlete is white) for racial narrative reasons.
    Last edited by Kalam; 10-07-2021 at 04:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Probably because the DOJ likes to posture about things like this in press releases, so there was no keeping it quiet.

This was a federal matter, investigated by the US Attorneys Office.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Probably because the DOJ likes to posture about things like this in press releases, so there was no keeping it quiet.

This was a federal matter, investigated by the US Attorneys Office.
    Yeah. I still am surprised the NBA didn't have the influence to keep it quiet or make it go away (or maybe they didn't want to?). Also, the NY DA is generally progressive as far as their targets, and mostly goes after white conservatives in high profile cases. So is a little surprising they are so zealous going after black retired NBA players.

Load Metric

CJ + three 1's and three swaps??? What the fuck is Morey still smoking?

Load Metric

Milt Palacio
    - Sebastian Telfair
    - Antoine Wright
    - Darius Miles
    - Ruben Patterson
    - Eddie Robinson
    - Gregory Smith
    - Glen Davis
    - Jamario Moon
    - Terrence Williams
    - Alan Anderson
    - Tony Allen
    - Shannon Brown
    - William Bynum
    - Melvin Ely
    - Tony Wroten
    I'm actually shocked there are not even more former Jail Blazers on that list.

Telfair, what a waste. He should have stayed in China with his cousin, who is now basically a God there.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

CJ + three 1's and three swaps??? What the fuck is Morey still smoking?
    Yeah you would think these LOL asking prices would have come down to Earth by now.

Philly is truly and properly fucked. Looking like The Process basically only led to Joel Embiid working out, which was a long shot and could blow up with any injury.

How long can they wait? Embiids prime is now.

Thread Information