Thread: Best month and why

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Best month and why

October. Sports. The only sport not really in the picture is golf
    but if you have an MLB team in the running and your excited to see
    the other three major leagues get started this is the month.

It may not be beach weather but it's generally sunny and the seasonal changes are beautiful. Sorry you southerners miss out on that

October almost gets away (halloween) with the hype months of November and December but it's minimal unless you have small kids

Comments

1marley1: Correct - fall foliage ftw

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

It may not be beach weather but it's generally sunny and the seasonal changes are beautiful. Sorry you southerners miss out on that

October almost gets away (halloween) with the hype months of November and December but it's minimal unless you have small kids
    February is my favorite because that is usually the month where we break through the darkness of winter. There are always a few nice days in that month that make me appreciate the return of the sun. The dark days of winter here in New England are tough as I'm sure they are there too, In December it will be dark at 330 here.

Comments

1marley1: Correct - still dark at 4:30 tho :/

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by country978 View Post
    February is my favorite because that is usually the month where we break through the darkness of winter. There are always a few nice days in that month that make me appreciate the return of the sun. The dark days of winter here in New England are tough as I'm sure they are there too, In December it will be dark at 330 here.
    Also, no fucking allergies or ticks or mosquitoes or mushrooms everywhere in February. I don't want to make a final Best Month decision yet because there's a strong case to be made for a month from either winter, summer, or fall here, but I love when the air is free of pollen and gnats and anything else except snowflakes and the smell of burning wood and whatnot. February is a small but often brutal AND beautiful month.

Comments

country978:

1marley1: Correct - pond skating ftw

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Another New Englander here, and I gotta say I think les nailed it. October is not cold or hot, the days are typically warm and the nights brisk. The humidity is gone, no pollen and bugs are starting to die. The end of the month starts to feel festive, and football season is peaking. Nothing says fall in New England like fresh baked apple pies and Sunday night football.

Comments

country978: New England sure is special
    #ToddsPlan

Load Metric
    September, not too hot, no too cold. Just about right. Us open tennis final. College football as well as nfl.

Comments

country978: another great one. january is the worst

herbertstemple: Definitely September rep

tony bagadonuts: obv

Platinum
    Load Metric
    May…last day of school for my kids.

Especially the last 2 years….that school via zoom was a shitshow.

Comments

country978:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodedN View Post
    Nothing says fall in New England like fresh baked apple pies and Sunday night football.
    I was at Market Basket Sunday evening, and I thought I was gonna leave again without any apple cider donuts because I couldn;t find them anywhere in the bakery section, like last time I looked for them. But right before the registers, they have the prepared foods heat lamps and warm section, for the rotisserie chickens and some pre-wrapped subs and whateverthefuck... AND THERE WERE THE WAXED BAGS OF APPLE CIDER DONUTS, UNDER THE HEATLAMP! I fell in love with the fucking place all over again.

Perhaps my single fav seasonal food is buying apple cider donuts from any one of the local supermarkets (Roches Bros esp, but god help me Whole Foods little apple cider donuts are perfect too) and reheating them in the toaster oven, you take them out and they're all crisp and smell so good... Like, I'm not a pumpkin spice guy or any of that shit, I like my coffee black and my fried donuts old fashioned, but the apple cider donut is a goddamn gem of a thing.

Comments

HoodedN: Apple cider donuts fucking slap

Sheesfaced: Nailed it

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodedN View Post
    Nothing says fall in New England like fresh baked apple pies and Sunday night football.
    I was at Market Basket Sunday evening, and I thought I was gonna leave again without any apple cider donuts because I couldn;t find them anywhere in the bakery section, like last time I looked for them. But right before the registers, they have the prepared foods heat lamps and warm section, for the rotisserie chickens and some pre-wrapped subs and whateverthefuck... AND THERE WERE THE WAXED BAGS OF APPLE CIDER DONUTS, UNDER THE HEATLAMP! I fell in love with the fucking place all over again.

Perhaps my single fav seasonal food is buying apple cider donuts from any one of the local supermarkets (Roches Bros esp, but god help me Whole Foods little apple cider donuts are perfect too) and reheating them in the toaster oven, you take them out and they're all crisp and smell so good... Like, I'm not a pumpkin spice guy or any of that shit, I like my coffee black and my fried donuts old fashioned, but the apple cider donut is a goddamn gem of a thing.
    I saw something that claimed the most pumpkin spice coffee is consumed in Ohio. Meh

Is the Apple cider donut a New England phenomena only? I don’t get it. My wife will wait for an hour this time of year at an Apple Orchard for them and so will a hundred others.

To other members here MarketBasket is just an unusual regional name for a supermarket. The DeMoulas brothers story is epic. One of the brothers was President of the company and was being driven out by the other brother. Such was the love the employees had for the company and it’s President they walked out for weeks at no pay. Nothing on the shelves. Managers cutting meat and stocking shelves. Warehouse and drivers sat out. You never see that in retail anywhere. There was talk of a documentary movie. Fucking love that store.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: Wegmans for produce, Market Basket for almost everything else, Roche Bros for holiday roasts, Star, Shaws, Stop&Shop all within a few miles, it's a supermarket heaven around here.

country978: market basket is the best!!

Load Metric

I was at Market Basket Sunday evening….
    I was in a Market Basket Sunday evening…..

We were out and I though I’d pick up something for Monday. Was thinking chicken. Where’s the chicken section? Pork, Beef, ground veal. Back and forth I go. I’m thinking I’ve lost my shit. My wife is following me with the wagon.

Not only was there no fresh chicken - they didn’t even allocate any space for it. In all my years, I never.

Crowe, Kunt, HoodedN, Country and the rest of the east coast crew know this store does massive business and is loved by employees and customers.

Beyond that prices are really starting to make an impression. If you have a couple of kids to feed I salute you.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Also, no fucking allergies or ticks or mosquitoes or mushrooms everywhere in February. I don't want to make a final Best Month decision yet because there's a strong case to be made for a month from either winter, summer, or fall here, but I love when the air is free of pollen and gnats and anything else except snowflakes and the smell of burning wood and whatnot. February is a small but often brutal AND beautiful month.
    You say "no mushrooms" like that's a good thing... Oh, sorry, I lived for a long time in Hawaii where mushrooms meant only one thing.
    I have to admit I always loved June. School was out and it seemed like forever before I'd have to go back.
    I am mentally 8 years old and I put ketchup on everything.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: Mushrooms didn;t deserve the shot I took , we just got a TON of them all over this year.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Most anyone living in New England today and who has lived here through January would understand entirely why a 48 degree day with a bit of sun is as glorious a day as does exist anywhere. There is nothing like the warm feeling of sunshine when you've been without it since November. February is the best month!

Comments

Crowe Diddly: it's true.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Most anyone living in New England today and who has lived here through January would understand entirely why a 48 degree day with a bit of sun is as glorious a day as does exist anywhere. There is nothing like the warm feeling of sunshine when you've been without it since November. February is the best month!
    Yeah, last few days have been great. Muddy trails anywhere that was once grass, but so be it. There's an eagle that hangs out in the area I walk, but I was always looking up at the trees, seeing the occasional hawk or hearing an owl, but no eagle. Finally realized a few days ago that there are huge metal towers next to the commuter rail tracks which are MUCH taller than the trees, and sure enough, that fucker was hanging out there about an hour before sunset, but was too high/far for phone to get a clear shit. Been bringing my camera the last few days, but as always, too little too late. I'll see it again someday. In the meantime, he's a cool looking bird, a hooded merganser! Surprising amount of animal diversity even within the Boston city limts.

Comments

country978:

1marley1: Merganser rep

Thread Information