Thread: Movie sure to remind Druff of his youth….

Platinum
    Load Metric

Movie sure to remind Druff of his youth….

New Paul Thomas Anderson flick….Druff can explain his love for Licorice Pizza…hope this is one of Anderson’s good ones. Stars Phillip Seymour Hoffman’s kid.

Comments

lawnmower man: Looks good.

ftpjesus: Perky tits and nips rep.

country978: all star cast abd worth watchin for the classic cars alone

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Anyone see this thing?

Good Reviews

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well, it's set before my time actually -- 1973.

I was 1 then, so I don't exactly have fond memories of that year.

Still, I enjoy a good 1970s period movie/show, so I do have some interest in seeing this.

Load Metric
    It's great, saw a screening in Portland last weekend.

Probably the lightest of PTA's films. Can't imagine someone not at least moderately liking it.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    just throwing it out there that people who go by First Middle Last name are cunts

Platinum
    Load Metric
    They all got changed to Sam Goody in 1987 ish

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Probably the lightest of PTA's films. Can't imagine someone not at least moderately liking it.
    Interesting.

I'm seeing user reviews of it. Much more hate than like. Tons of, "I walked out of a movie for the first time in my life" comments. Tons of "boring", "no direction", "pointless" comments.

It's say the user reviews I'm seeing are 50% horrible, 30% okay, 20% good.

At the same time, 91% of critics on Rotten Tomatoes liked it.

After having seen it, can you explain why so many people seem to hate it?

BTW, I do remember in the 70s asking my mom about "Licorice Pizza" stores I saw around LA. I was intrigued by the funny name -- were there really pizzas made of licorice? She told me that it was a music store, and the name was referring to how records look like pizza made out of black licorice. When I saw the name of that film, it was the first time I thought of Licorice Pizza in like 35 years. There was a pizza place I went to sometimes called "Lamppost Pizza", and at first I kept confusing it with Licorice Pizza.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Interesting.

I'm seeing user reviews of it. Much more hate than like. Tons of, "I walked out of a movie for the first time in my life" comments. Tons of "boring", "no direction", "pointless" comments.

It's say the user reviews I'm seeing are 50% horrible, 30% okay, 20% good.

At the same time, 91% of critics on Rotten Tomatoes liked it.

After having seen it, can you explain why so many people seem to hate it?

BTW, I do remember in the 70s asking my mom about "Licorice Pizza" stores I saw around LA. I was intrigued by the funny name -- were there really pizzas made of licorice? She told me that it was a music store, and the name was referring to how records look like pizza made out of black licorice. When I saw the name of that film, it was the first time I thought of Licorice Pizza in like 35 years. There was a pizza place I went to sometimes called "Lamppost Pizza", and at first I kept confusing it with Licorice Pizza.

If you like the trailer, you'll like the movie. Nothing political that you would object to.

I can see people thinking that nothing much happens as an objection but beyond that, no idea why someone wouldn't enjoy it unless all they watch is MCU movies.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Silver
    Load Metric
    There is some "controversy" with the movie that has probably contributed to the negative reviews from the twitter mob, including:

The use of a fake Asian accent in one of the scenes (not uncommon in the 70s)

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...n-ac-rcna10304

The age difference between the main gal and her teenage boyfriend (who gives a shit)

https://popculture.com/movies/news/l...g%20age%20gap.

By the way, I had never heard of Alana Haim or the group Haim until this movie. She's kind of sneaky hot in a nerdy sort of way.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeD View Post

The use of a fake Asian accent in one of the scenes (not uncommon in the 70s)

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...n-ac-rcna10304

The age difference between the main gal and her teenage boyfriend (who gives a shit)

https://popculture.com/movies/news/l...g%20age%20gap.

By the way, I had never heard of Alana Haim or the group Haim until this movie. She's kind of sneaky hot in a nerdy sort of way.
    Any and all controversies put forth by lefty film critics should be immediately dismissed outright for being patently absurd. Some of the biggest faggots alive review movies.

The right is significantly better about this but also not immune; I remember lots of Team Retard outrage about the American flag not being prominently displayed on the moon in First Man, despite it being elsewhere in the movie and it being one of the more patriotic American achievement films in years.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah I read about the controversy regarding the female lead character being 25 and the male lead character being 15. However, I also saw it described that she's an immature 25 and he's a mature 15, and that she spends much of the film rebuffing his advances, only wanting a comfortable friendship with him. But whatever. As JoeD said, "Who gives a shit?"

I wasn't worried about political messaging in the movie, because it's set in 1973. A setting several decades in the past usually removes most of the motivation for filmmakers to insert backdoor political messages, unless the film itself is political (which this obviously isn't).

I asked about the user reviews because a significant number of the bad ones said the same thing (boring, pointless, slow, etc), and wasn't related to any faux outrage about the age of the characters. In general I do like seeing movies about life in the '60s, '70s, and '80s, so that's why I was curious.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Yeah I read about the controversy regarding the female lead character being 25 and the male lead character being 15. However, I also saw it described that she's an immature 25 and he's a mature 15, and that she spends much of the film rebuffing his advances, only wanting a comfortable friendship with him. But whatever. As JoeD said, "Who gives a shit?"

I wasn't worried about political messaging in the movie, because it's set in 1973. A setting several decades in the past usually removes most of the motivation for filmmakers to insert backdoor political messages, unless the film itself is political (which this obviously isn't).

I asked about the user reviews because a significant number of the bad ones said the same thing (boring, pointless, slow, etc), and wasn't related to any faux outrage about the age of the characters. In general I do like seeing movies about life in the '60s, '70s, and '80s, so that's why I was curious.
    First time I did acid I watched this movie. ALL THE MARBLES. Set in the 70's/80's. Sorry, video not very clear.

Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Licorice Pizza is on Amazon Prime now. I watched it last night. I wasn't great but it was entertaining.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I thought it was good.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Maybe I'll watch it now that it's on Amazon.

I watched "Fame" again recently because Harry Hollywood posted about it. Had been a long time since I saw it, but watching it all these years later, I noticed that I enjoyed it but could easily see how others wouldn't. The movie didn't really have any plotline, and basically just followed various students meandering through 4 years of a NYC performing arts school. But it worked because of the interesting setting and characters.

I imagine that this movie is probably similar in that way. The trailer indicates that the movie follows a mid-20s woman and 15-year-old boy navigating life as friends in LA, but not with any real plot to resolve. So if that's the case, I can see how some people enjoyed it and some hated it.

Comments

desertrunner: Def watch it.

Load Metric
    I can't ever see anything about Paul Thomas Anderson without being reminded of CTH and his Magnolia obsession.

I used to think very highly of Anderson too as a teenager and young adult, but now, meh. Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood are good, but over time it's become clear to me that the rest of his movies are almost entirely propped up by strong acting performances. The Master is a perfect example of this - really, really shit, incoherent movie with no real overall story telling substance, yet he let Philip Seymour Hoffman do his thing, Phoenix and Adams both went above and beyond too, overshadowing the flaws to some extent. The movie is really weird with no real point, which seems to be a theme of his. Oscar bait without intentionally meaning to be Oscar bait, if that makes sense. You can apply that analysis to every movie in his catalogue to some degree, leading me to believe he just accidentally fell into something that worked as a story with There Will Be Blood because it was based on a book.

Reading the posts in this thread leads me to believe that nothing has changed with Licorice Pizza, just more of the same but without Daniel Day Lewis, Phoenix or Seymour Hoffman. I can't bring myself to watch it.

Load Metric
    I didn't read Druff's post before mine above, but I think that sums up how Boogie Nights works.

Also, PTA has another movie in the works starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnP View Post
    I can't ever see anything about Paul Thomas Anderson without being reminded of CTH and his Magnolia obsession.

I used to think very highly of Anderson too as a teenager and young adult, but now, meh. Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood are good, but over time it's become clear to me that the rest of his movies are almost entirely propped up by strong acting performances. The Master is a perfect example of this - really, really shit, incoherent movie with no real overall story telling substance, yet he let Philip Seymour Hoffman do his thing, Phoenix and Adams both went above and beyond too, overshadowing the flaws to some extent. The movie is really weird with no real point, which seems to be a theme of his. Oscar bait without intentionally meaning to be Oscar bait, if that makes sense. You can apply that analysis to every movie in his catalogue to some degree, leading me to believe he just accidentally fell into something that worked as a story with There Will Be Blood because it was based on a book.

Reading the posts in this thread leads me to believe that nothing has changed with Licorice Pizza, just more of the same but without Daniel Day Lewis, Phoenix or Seymour Hoffman. I can't bring myself to watch it.
    It wasn't a bad movie, Vaughn. I never considered not watching until the end. There were just some things about it that didn't make sense. At one point the star gets roughed up and arrested for murder then 5 minutes later he's out of jail and onto something else. Then there's a scene with Bradley Cooper which I don't understand how it relates to the story but all in all, I liked it and think it was worth watching. It just wasn't great.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    This movie is loosely based on a true story as weird as it is.

Comments

desertrunner:

Thread Information