Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Great Canadian Election Thread

Load Metric

The Great Canadian Election Thread

There is a federal election in Canada on September 20.

This one is mildly interesting to me because a) it's not clear who will win, and b) my vote is still up for grabs.

Let's set the stage (disclaimer: I don't know much about politics so I'm giving my relatively naive take here so feel free to tell me what I've gotten wrong)

In Canada, there are 338 federal ridings that are each represented by a Member of Parliament (MP). In each riding, we vote among the MP candidates who typically represent one of the main political parties. After voting, the political party that has the most MPs elected becomes the governing party and their leader is the Prime Minister. The last election was in 2019 which was won by the Liberal party whose leader is Justin Trudeau, our current Prime Minister. The Liberals have been in power since 2015.

Here is my politically naive rundown of the major parties:

Liberal Party of Canada

-Political spectrum: Economically neutral, socially progressive (probably left of the Democratic Party in the U.S.)
    -Seats won in 2019: 157 (minority government)
    -Popular vote in 2019: 33.12%

Leader: Justin Trudeau
    -Son of former PM Pierre Trudeau
    -Analysis: I had high hopes for him when he was first elected PM in 2015 but he hasn't really done anything. He did okay during the pandemic. He's pretty cringey at times. I think a lot of Canadians are tired of his bullshit. A lot of the batshit right-wingers calling him a "Communist" are completely out to lunch.

Conservative Party of Canada

-Political spectrum: Economically right, socially conservative (probably somewhere between the Democrats and Republicans)
    -Seats won in 2019: 121
    -Popular vote in 2019: 34.34%

Leader: Erin O'Toole
    -Replaced former leader Andrew Scheer after last election
    -Analysis: More socially progressive than Scheer but not much more likable. The CPC actually won the popular vote in 2019 on the strength of the Prairie provinces which tend to skew conservative. O'Toole isn't exactly setting the world on fire. He seems fine.

New Democratic Party

-Political spectrum: Economically left, very socially progressive (if Bernie Sanders was a political party)
    -Seats won in 2019: 24
    -Popular vote in 2019: 15.98%

Leader: Jagmeet Singh
    -Replaced former leader Tom Mulcair in 2017
    -Analysis: Very woke. Does TikTok videos for the youngs.

Green Party of Canada

-Political spectrum: Economically left, socially progressive (similar to NDP)
    -Seats won in 2019: 3
    -Popular vote in 2019: 6.55%

Leader: Annamie Paul
    -Don't know a thing about this person.
    -Analysis: They basically run on a climate change platform.

Bloc Quebecois

-Political spectrum: Not sure but generally progressive except for issues of Quebec sovereignty
    -Seats won in 2019: 32
    -Popular vote in 2019: 7.63%

Leader: Yves-François Blanchet
    -Very well liked in Quebec
    -Analysis: This is the separatist party of Canada. They believe the province of Quebec should separate from Canada and form its own country. This party only has MP candidates in Quebec.

People's Party of Canada

-Political spectrum: Economically far right, socially far right
    -Seats won in 2019: 0
    -Popular vote in 2019: 1.62%

Leader: Maxime Bernier
    -Former member of the Conservative Party. Ran for leader of the Conservatives in 2017 and lost to Andrew Scheer by a very narrow margin (49% to 51%). After losing he took his ball and went home to form his own party (PPC) and declared himself leader. Seems to be trying to be a Quebecois version of Trump.
    -Analysis: This is the party to watch this election. COVID-19 has actually been a godsend for them. They were a joke before the pandemic. Now they are all about being anti-vax, anti-mask, anti-lockdown, etc. This stance resonates with about 10-15% of Canadian voters. While they won't get many (if any) seats in parliament, they will surely get a significant bump in the popular vote which will turn heads.

Comments

PROUDBOY MAGA 2024: Farcical post

Salty_Aus: fuckwit offset

simpdog: Canadian content

Baron Von Strucker: Content du Canadian

Kuntmissioner: Interested

JACKDANIELS: anti MAGATARD rep
    Last edited by The Shrink; 09-16-2021 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shrink View Post

This one is mildly interesting to me because a) it's not clear who will win, and b) my vote is still up for grabs.

Let's set the stage (disclaimer: I don't know much about politics so I'm giving my relatively naive take here so feel free to tell me what I've gotten wrong)

In Canada, there are 338 federal ridings that are each represented by a Member of Parliament (MP). In each riding, we vote among the MP candidates who typically represent one of the main political parties. After voting, the political party that has the most MPs elected becomes the governing party and their leader is the Prime Minister. The last election was in 2019 which was won by the Liberal party whose leader is Justin Trudeau, our current Prime Minister. The Liberals have been in power since 2015.

Liberal Party of Canada

-Political spectrum: Economically neutral, socially progressive (probably left of the Democratic Party in the U.S.)

-Analysis: I had high hopes for him when he was first elected PM in 2015 but he hasn't really done anything. He did okay during the pandemic. He's pretty cringey at times. I think a lot of Canadians are tired of his bullshit. A lot of the batshit right-wingers calling him a "Communist" are completely out to lunch.

-Political spectrum: Economically right, socially conservative (probably somewhere between the Democrats and Republicans)

-Analysis: More socially progressive than Scheer but not much more likable. The CPC actually won the popular vote in 2019 on the strength of the Prairie provinces which tend to skew conservative. O'Toole isn't exactly setting the world on fire. He seems fine.

New Democratic Party

-Political spectrum: Economically left, very socially progressive (if Bernie Sanders was a political party)

Green Party of Canada

Bloc Quebecois

-Political spectrum: Not sure but generally progressive except for issues of Quebec sovereignty

-Analysis: This is the separatist party of Canada. They believe the province of Quebec should separate from Canada and form its own country. This party only has MP candidates in Quebec.

People's Party of Canada

-Former member of the Conservative Party. Ran for leader of the Conservatives in 2017 and lost to Andrew Scheer by a very narrow margin (49% to 51%). After losing he took his ball and went home to form his own party (PPC) and declared himself leader. Seems to be trying to be a Quebecois version of Trump.
    -Analysis: This is the party to watch this election. COVID-19 has actually been a godsend for them. They were a joke before the pandemic. Now they are all about being anti-vax, anti-mask, anti-lockdown, etc. This stance resonates with about 10-15% of Canadian voters. While they won't get many (if any) seats in parliament, they will surely get a significant bump in the popular vote which will turn heads.
    For a guy who appears to completely rational and great posts for the most part, this post is completely farcical. This is straight out of the playbook of the government bought and paid for MSMedia mostly CBC. I'll give you a partial pass for admitting early on you know very little about politics and it shows tremendously in this post. Complete hogwash !

Comments

Salty_Aus: mickeycrimm dupe?

dwai: offset

JACKDANIELS: MAGATARD rep

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Shrink, I admit I know little about Canadian politics, so thanks for the analysis.

Which parties are you considering voting for?

I assume either Liberal or Conservative? You have always seemed middle of the road to me, politically speaking.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Liberal Party of Canada

New Democratic Party

Green Party of Canada

Bloc Quebecois

People's Party of Canada

Liberals landslide or at least a small avalanche

Load Metric
    PPC is hilarious.

They have literally no platform other than they don’t like masks or lockdowns.

Comments

PROUDBOY MAGA 2024: Wrong you clearly haven't read their platform. Coming from a Justin Castro fanboy.

gimmick:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PROUDBOY MAGA 2024 View Post
    For a guy who appears to completely rational and great posts for the most part, this post is completely farcical. This is straight out of the playbook of the government bought and paid for MSMedia mostly CBC. I'll give you a partial pass for admitting early on you know very little about politics and it shows tremendously in this post. Complete hogwash !
    Thank you for the feedback.

Comments

Baron Von Strucker:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Thank you for the feedback.
    Just read the whole post and it is spot on.

Load Metric
    My vote is still up in the air. I pretty much hate all of them, conservatives fucked up last election when they brought religion into the mix they have as far as I know stopped it. Treaudeau is a woke corrupt clown puppet for his late daddy’s cronies. Singh is probably the best choice but my neighbor who I hate has his sign on his lawn so it mostly cancels that shit, everyone who has knocked on my door I have chased away with out listening to there spin.
    Les is right tho No matter what goes on in western canada the east will always decide who wins just because of the huge population there. And likely Liberal by a wide margin.

Comments

The Shrink: Yes exactly.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Shrink, I admit I know little about Canadian politics, so thanks for the analysis.

Which parties are you considering voting for?

I assume either Liberal or Conservative? You have always seemed middle of the road to me, politically speaking.
    In the past I've voted for every major party except for the BQ and PPC.

As I mentioned, we actually vote for the MP in our riding, not the Prime Minister. So our ballots list the names of the MP candidates. I'll likely be voting for the NDP candidate in my riding whom I know personally - he's a solid dude, very rational, and competent. He's also unlikely to win in my riding which will probably go Liberal.

Load Metric
    LOL CANADA

Nobody gives a fuck, you idiots are stuck with the authoritarian Justin Castro, you've made your bed now lay in it

Name:  Canada__America__4a4fa024e2599_grande.jpeg
Views: 402
Size:  12.7 KB

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Liberal landslide Les? Nope. Minority at best.

Conservatives will get my vote.

The Liberal party have gone so far left( supposed to be center LOL) they are closer to the Bernie Comrades politically. Justin Castro is making his father proud. NDP are complete communists led by a racist Sikh LOL. Progressive Conservatives are now center left, previously center right. PPC are not far right they are the new and only party in Canada that's true center right. I challenge anyone who disagrees to check out the PPC platform for themselves.

The Green and the Bloq are irrelevant. Enjoy your Police State lockdowns Salty Aus you tard. You must like the government dictating your life beta boy.

Load Metric
    The Liberal party have gone so far left( supposed to be center LOL) they are closer to the Bernie Comrades politically. Justin Castro is making his father proud. NDP are complete communists led by a racist Sikh LOL. Progressive Conservatives are now center left, previously center right. PPC are not far right they are the new and only party in Canada that's true center right. I challenge anyone who disagrees to check out the PPC platform for themselves.

The Green and the Bloq are irrelevant. Enjoy your Police State lockdowns Salty Aus you tard. You must like the government dictating your life beta boy.
    Name:  66f-1.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  30.4 KB

Silver
    Load Metric
    Wait so ProudboyMAGA2024 is Canadian?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post

Dual I have a few family members residing in Canada.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post

Dual I have a few family members residing in Canada.
    Sure faggot. Another shitty dupe. No one who lives in America is this agitated about Canadian politics. Just another clown ass loser dupe who won’t post under your original screen name as I’m sure it’s an embarrassing history of stupidity like all right wingers.

Comments

PROUDBOY MAGA 2024: Whatever you say Biggest Covid Retard

gimmick:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    PPC is hilarious.

https://www.peoplespartyofcanada.ca/platform

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BlunderMaker View Post
    PPC is hilarious.

https://www.peoplespartyofcanada.ca/platform
    Sorry I shouldn't have said they don't have a platform.

Their platform is a fairy tale that isn't possible.

Let's lower taxes, bring housing prices down, spend more money on healthcare + education (ALL in super small font)

(In super large font) We don't like lockdowns or masks and we like guns!! Let's turn Canada into 'merica part deux.

Load Metric
    Jagmeet Singh has his own issues.. The guy got sent to the Principals office for being a reverse racist and like the BLM asshats in America swears that police in Canada are racist especially the RCMP.. Its just insanity to suggest such.. I have a cousin whos in the RCMP and Singh is considered an asshat.. Ironically it was the head of the Bloc Q who themselves are essentially French Supremists with their seperate and distinct society bullshit that blocked the motion of Singh and he got all bent out of shape and got sent to his room. Hes also given the finger to the Native First Nations in BC before.. Hes clearly just as bad as the woke lefties in the USA probably worse in fact.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BlunderMaker View Post
    Sorry I shouldn't have said they don't have a platform.

Their platform is a fairy tale that isn't possible.

Let's lower taxes, bring housing prices down, spend more money on healthcare + education (ALL in super small font)

(In super large font) We don't like lockdowns or masks and we like guns!! Let's turn Canada into 'merica part deux.
    Be happy it polls at 6% in your country. Imagine 40% of your country and 60% of your state is mentally challenged on that level.

Thread Information