Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I was robbed by a local company for 2700. Whats my best move?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4BET View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post

agree with this get a few other quotes and see how close they are to the 11k but in general extra work equals extra cost to you. there kinda jerks to not offer your deposit back altho you haven't said if they had done something to justify the hold back.

at some point a "estimate" changed to a "Quote" and changed the dynamics and relationship between contractors and their customers.

when you were informed the extra work would be needed (after initial quote you it would be unreasonable to expect the quote would stand) given the new information.

I almost never do projects on a quoted price unless it is a fairly simple task. cost plus materials is the better fair way of doing business IMO.
    Yes I understand that it would cost more given health department requirements. The question here is are they allowed by law to keep deposit given new price of 11k? Contract does say no refunds on deposit but it also says 5400 for well.
    i believe they could likely find a way to keep a lot of it admin and planning fees if taken to small claims. they will pay you out most of it before the date comes or take there sweet time paying you if they loose.
    not to mention you have a bunch of redneck well digging goons with your info, address etc could put you in a bad spot as well... its to bad they won't negotiate with you blocking your number is pretty aggressive.

good luck
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    We signed a contract with a local company to have a new well drilled for 5400. We put deposit of 2700 down. Health department came back with special requirements for well because we don’t have the required 75 feet setback from septic tank. So well company raised the price to 11,000. I told them to pound sand and refund deposit. They told me no refunds which is stated in contract. Is this illegal? We didn’t cancel 5400 well as contract states. We canceled 11,000 well. According to them they can raise price to whatever they want if you don’t like it they steal deposit.
    I mean come on. They probably already invested that $2,700 in permits, staff, time etc.. It's not like they are getting off free either. I had some dental work done the other day, ran $1000 more than quoted, sometimes you just pay and move on, I didn't freak out and threaten to sue the dentist. It's not like the guy is scamming you, he got clipped by local government, this happens all the time. If you want the work done for the job pay the money, but LOL at suing over $2,700. You can't be serious.
    Dentistry is one of the scammiest professions out there.

You got worked, bro.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I mean come on. They probably already invested that $2,700 in permits, staff, time etc.. It's not like they are getting off free either. I had some dental work done the other day, ran $1000 more than quoted, sometimes you just pay and move on, I didn't freak out and threaten to sue the dentist. It's not like the guy is scamming you, he got clipped by local government, this happens all the time. If you want the work done for the job pay the money, but LOL at suing over $2,700. You can't be serious.

You got worked, bro.
    I did get worked, I should have pumped and dumped some of those shitcoins on your site and all would have been paid for.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: Dick

Load Metric
    Contact Rob Wolchek and tell him Betcheckbet sent you.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    We signed a contract with a local company to have a new well drilled for 5400. We put deposit of 2700 down. Health department came back with special requirements for well because we don’t have the required 75 feet setback from septic tank. So well company raised the price to 11,000. I told them to pound sand and refund deposit. They told me no refunds which is stated in contract. Is this illegal? We didn’t cancel 5400 well as contract states. We canceled 11,000 well. According to them they can raise price to whatever they want if you don’t like it they steal deposit.
    Can you post the exact language of that portion of the contract they're referring to?

Sounds like a scam to me. If they can't do the job for $5400, it sounds like the contract is invalid. Otherwise they could quote you $1,000,000 and just keep your $2700. This might actually have been intentional, knowing you would get rejected due to special requirements, and then they could gouge you for a much higher price, and figure you'd feel pot committed due to the 2700.

Have you googled reviews for this company?

Load Metric
    Druff what’s your take here. Is it illegal for them to keep deposit when price changes from 5400 to 11k?

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: since you put it this way. a new price would require a new contract so a refund would be in order and new higher deposit would be required
    Last edited by 4BET; 09-11-2021 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Never mind I see your post above
    -Allergic to the struggle

Load Metric
    Can you post the exact language of that portion of the contract they're referring to?

Sounds like a scam to me. If they can't do the job for $5400, it sounds like the contract is invalid. Otherwise they could quote you $1,000,000 and just keep your $2700. This might actually have been intentional, knowing you would get rejected due to special requirements, and then they could gouge you for a much higher price, and figure you'd feel pot committed due to the 2700
    I will text you the contract. I actually used same company in 2018 but what I didn’t know is the nice lady running the place is gone and her ex took over

Load Metric

You got worked, bro.
    I did get worked, I should have pumped and dumped some of those shitcoins on your site and all would have been paid for.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Sounds like a scam to me. If they can't do the job for $5400, it sounds like the contract is invalid. Otherwise they could quote you $1,000,000 and just keep your $2700. This might actually have been intentional, knowing you would get rejected due to special requirements, and then they could gouge you for a much higher price, and figure you'd feel pot committed due to the 2700
    I will text you the contract. I actually used same company in 2018 but what I didn’t know is the nice lady running the place is gone and her ex took over
    I looked at the contract. I'm not a contracts expert, and I don't know much about this industry. I don't see where it would give them the right to more than double the price and leave you on the hook for it (or lose your deposit if you don't want it).

The only thing I see which they could possibly point to is, "Should your well construction require a variation in pump size, you will be notified and charged accordingly."

I don't like terms like this which leave an open-ended ability to charge you whatever money they want. In the future, you should demand that the range of possible charges is stated in the contract. However, that sounds like it doesn't apply here anyway, as it doesn't seem you need a variation in pump size, it has to do with the setback from the pump tank. The other charges authorized ($500 per extra day of work, $26 per foot of extra drilling, $500 per extra screen required) don't seem to apply here either.

Which term do they claim gives them the right to do this? If they haven't told you, ask them that. Try to do so in e-mail so you can get it in writing to spank them later in court.

Load Metric
    Sorry to hear you didn’t get in on the ground level.

Heyooo

Comments

jsearles22: Lmfao, got heem

Load Metric

I looked at the contract. I'm not a contracts expert, and I don't know much about this industry. I don't see where it would give them the right to more than double the price and leave you on the hook for it (or lose your deposit if you don't want it).

The only thing I see which they could possibly point to is, "Should your well construction require a variation in pump size, you will be notified and charged accordingly."

I don't like terms like this which leave an open-ended ability to charge you whatever money they want. In the future, you should demand that the range of possible charges is stated in the contract. However, that sounds like it doesn't apply here anyway, as it doesn't seem you need a variation in pump size, it has to do with the setback from the pump tank. The other charges authorized ($500 per extra day of work, $26 per foot of extra drilling, $500 per extra screen required) don't seem to apply here either.

Which term do they claim gives them the right to do this? If they haven't told you, ask them that. Try to do so in e-mail so you can get it in writing to spank them later in court.
    In a reply to a review I left them they said page 2 # 4 last bullet point, The extra prices they list in contract are if they run into problems while drilling, None of that applies here as they haven’t did any work

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW in court I would tell the story a bit differently.

Frame it that they were either shady or incompetent not to realize the amount of setback required, quoted you a $5400 price and made you put down a deposit, and then raised the price to $11000 when they were told the setback was needed, and they pretended that was your fault.

Insist that they were the experts here and needed to account for this and quote you this major price variation, rather than keeping your deposit because they were too incompetent to quote you a correct price for the job.

I think there's a high chance you win this.

Something you might want to threaten the owner is that, if you beat him in court, you will make a website about the case and post a copy of the court win for everyone to see, and this will come up in a front page google search for them. (This is your legal right to do, btw.) That often scares shady small businesses into acting right. But do this over the phone, not in e-mail, or otherwise they'll just bring that e-mail to court and try to make you look like a vindicitive asshole.

What you want is for them to think that court isn't simply a freeroll for them, but that a loss in court will also result in a major hit against their rep when people google them.

But first things first. Ask them to point to exactly where in the contract it authorizes them to change the quote to $11,000, and do so via e-mail.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh okay, just saw your response. I see item 4 covers "additional charges", and the last one listed was "Services required by government agencies", which they could weakly claim is what's going on here.

However, this is BS. This isn't a service required, it's a legal requirement they either didn't know or pretended not to know.

Also, the price variation is so huge that they need to list something like that. If the price had gone from $5400 to $6000 because of this, it would be a different story.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Forget the lawyer.

For $200, Ill fuck their son. Much cheaper for you

Comments

4BET: Where do I send the 200?

Load Metric

Frame it that they were either shady or incompetent not to realize the amount of setback required, quoted you a $5400 price and made you put down a deposit, and then raised the price to $11000 when they were told the setback was needed, and they pretended that was your fault.

Insist that they were the experts here and needed to account for this and quote you this major price variation, rather than keeping your deposit because they were too incompetent to quote you a correct price for the job.

Something you might want to threaten the owner is that, if you beat him in court, you will make a website about the case and post a copy of the court win for everyone to see, and this will come up in a front page google search for them. (This is your legal right to do, btw.) That often scares shady small businesses into acting right. But do this over the phone, not in e-mail, or otherwise they'll just bring that e-mail to court and try to make you look like a vindicitive asshole.

What you want is for them to think that court isn't simply a freeroll for them, but that a loss in court will also result in a major hit against their rep when people google them.

But first things first. Ask them to point to exactly where in the contract it authorizes them to change the quote to $11,000, and do so via e-mail.
    They said page 2#4 last bullit point, They have blocked our phone #. Owner is a real dirt bag. Last time I call him from a 3rd phone# about 3 Saturday’s ago he said he would call Monday at 8:30 am still waiting for the call. Thanks for the advice

Load Metric

The website idea seems like a great one but this guy seems to have dug his heels in and ready to fight tooth and nail. Everyone I have talked to about this other well companies included can’t believe he won’t give back deposit. We are busy and really didn’t want to have to sue this crook but he leaves us no choice. My better half surly didn’t want to go this route as she has never even had a parking ticket or been in court other then jury duty

Load Metric
    https://www.handelonthelaw.com

Comments

hutmaster: Marginal legal advice

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokeofluck2020 View Post
    Good luck 4bet i remember you from the old days.....UGA
    Thanks bud, I didn’t know you are UGA
    Yes sir this is me.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The website idea seems like a great one but this guy seems to have dug his heels in and ready to fight tooth and nail. Everyone I have talked to about this other well companies included can’t believe he won’t give back deposit. We are busy and really didn’t want to have to sue this crook but he leaves us no choice. My better half surly didn’t want to go this route as she has never even had a parking ticket or been in court other then jury duty
    I would do the same thing. Definitely file in small claims court. The only problem in small claims is that the judges tend to just rule on emotion rather than law, but if you present this well, the optics will be on your side.

Since the judge won't understand the well digging industry well, be sure to be very clear that the company was supposed to be the experts, missed an obvious requirement they should have known about, misquoted you, raised the price by over 100%, and wouldn't give you your deposit back when you didn't want to go with them. Definitely also throw in your suspicion that they did this on purpose in order to rope you in to an $11k job. Use the term "bait and switch".

Bronze
    Load Metric
    This seems pretty cut and dry to me. You made a deposit on a particular scope of work. That scope of work changed drastically. The deposit is refundable. Rather than sue them if you want to be a real dick, make them drill the original well knowing you can't use it and then withhold payment for them not guiding you properly as an expert. If the health department won't let them drill, then require a refund for not upholding their end of the original contract and drilling the well. Basically force them to uphold the original contract and if not, then get your refund.

Thread Information