Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mysterious death of couple, their dog, and their baby near Yosemite could be due toxic algae

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
    Final conclusion reached.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/...210448144.html

I don't care what the science concluded, it makes no sense to me for the entire family and the dog. So I'm still going with toxic algae.
    Yeah obviously they couldn't figure it out, so just went with heat stroke because that was probably a contributing factor in all the deaths, so they can say it without directly lying.

Heat stroke doesn't affect everyone at the same time or the same way. It's unlikely that both adults would have died from heat stroke so close to one another, especially with the car not that far away.

Toxic alage was actually found in the river there, and apparently it's possible to die from it by simply getting a lot of it on your skin, even if you don't drink it.

Something happened there, which affected everyone (including the dog) all around the same time. I suppose the baby dying of heat stroke is more believable, since it was left there attached to the dad without the ability to leave. Still not sure what they were thinking, taking a baby on a hike in the 107 degree heat.

Load Metric
    I smell bullshit. The dog died from hypothermia and heat stoke too? How often does that happen?

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    I smell bullshit. The dog died from hypothermia and heat stoke too? How often does that happen?
    I don't find it at all hard to believe that the dog refused to leave the adults when they were showing distress and stopped responding. What do you think the dog would do, Run back to the road, flag down a passing park ranger, and bark, "Timmy's in the well!"?

But the PFA scientists have spoken, so all those folks who actually study this and have degrees and shit in related fields are clearly wrong.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbodoggins View Post
    I don't find it at all hard to believe that the dog refused to leave the adults when they were showing distress and stopped responding. What do you think the dog would do, Run back to the road, flag down a passing park ranger, and bark, "Timmy's in the well!"?

But the PFA scientists have spoken, so all those folks who actually study this and have degrees and shit in related fields are clearly wrong.
    The dog definitely would not leave them, but it would go try to find water if it was dehydrated. It’s a natural instinct. Hypothermia? It was an Australian shep/ Akita mix. No way. Dehydration? If it was more Akita, maybe, but Australian Shepards love the heat.

They were allegedly experienced hikers. Of course they could have just gotten heat stroke and disoriented, but until proven otherwise, I’m sticking with my original theory:
    Name:  
Views: 
Size:
    Last edited by Jayjami; 10-22-2021 at 08:54 AM.

Bronze
    Load Metric

The dog definitely would not leave them, but it would go try to find water if it was dehydrated. It’s a natural instinct. Hypothermia? It was an Australian shep/ Akita mix. No way. Dehydration? If it was more Akita, maybe, but Australian Shepards love the heat.

They were allegedly experienced hikers. Of course they could have just gotten heat stroke and disoriented, but until proven otherwise, I’m sticking with my original theory:
    Name:  
Views: 
Size:
    Well, I respect your opinions more than a lot of the folks who post here. At least you can express a coherent point of view. I still don't think your arguments hold up, Hyperthermia makes people (and dogs) act irrationally. They were experienced hikers in general, but not in those conditions. Moving from NY to CA I was surprised at how drastically the temp could change up on the ridges from morning to mid afternoon.
    Anyway, if nothing else I got a good Tee shirt slogan out of this:

"I don't care what the scientists concluded!"

Which describes the attitude of a lot of people about a lot of things going on right now.
    Last edited by Bilbodoggins; 10-22-2021 at 07:01 PM. Reason: because I'm a klutz

Load Metric
    Public Service Announcement:

Hypothermia: the condition of having an abnormally low body temperature, typically one that is dangerously low

Hyperthermia: the condition of having a body temperature greatly above normal*

* This is what they died from.

They did not freeze to death, my law school friend.

Public Service Announcement concluded

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Public Service Announcement:

Hypothermia: the condition of having an abnormally low body temperature, typically one that is dangerously low

Hyperthermia: the condition of having a body temperature greatly above normal*

* This is what they died from.

They did not freeze to death, my law school friend.

Public Service Announcement concluded
    My bad, a misread, plus I’d never heard of that word!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The problem is that police are like doctors, in that they don't like to admit, "I'm stumped, I can't figure this one out", so if in that spot they will often take their best guess and say it with conviction.

Much like a patient doesn't like hearing, "Sorry, no idea here" after they've paid for a doctor's visit, the public doesn't like hearing, "Sorry we can't figure out how they died" when the police are supposed to protect us and have all the answers.

In this case, I think they're stating something factual while avoiding discussing that they don't know the bigger picture. "Heat stroke" can occur after something else incapacitates someone in the 107 degree heat. It appears some mysterious cause incapacitated everyone, and then heat stroke ultimately killed them. That I'd believe, but it still doesn't explain much.

It would be like if I was found dead at the bottom of a lake, and the conclusion was that I died of ingestion of water into my lungs. Well, yeah, but how did I end up there? If the report ended there, you wouldn't have learned anything.

They weren't far from the car. They were all together. Heat stroke rarely affects two people the same way, meaning that one of the two should have been feeling better than the other, and would have attempted to take the baby and get help. There was water left, and it doesn't appear anyone was furiously drinking before dying, which you'd expect if they were suffering from heat stroke.

It really, really, really has the look of people who simultaneously became incapacitated, sat down, and rapidly got worse before dying. As I said before, I think the dad and baby died first, and the mom used what little strength she had to attempt to get herself to the car, but died a tiny bit up the trail.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The problem is that police are like doctors, in that they don't like to admit, "I'm stumped, I can't figure this one out", so if in that spot they will often take their best guess and say it with conviction.

Much like a patient doesn't like hearing, "Sorry, no idea here" after they've paid for a doctor's visit, the public doesn't like hearing, "Sorry we can't figure out how they died" when the police are supposed to protect us and have all the answers.

In this case, I think they're stating something factual while avoiding discussing that they don't know the bigger picture. "Heat stroke" can occur after something else incapacitates someone in the 107 degree heat. It appears some mysterious cause incapacitated everyone, and then heat stroke ultimately killed them. That I'd believe, but it still doesn't explain much.

It would be like if I was found dead at the bottom of a lake, and the conclusion was that I died of ingestion of water into my lungs. Well, yeah, but how did I end up there? If the report ended there, you wouldn't have learned anything.

They weren't far from the car. They were all together. Heat stroke rarely affects two people the same way, meaning that one of the two should have been feeling better than the other, and would have attempted to take the baby and get help. There was water left, and it doesn't appear anyone was furiously drinking before dying, which you'd expect if they were suffering from heat stroke.

It really, really, really has the look of people who simultaneously became incapacitated, sat down, and rapidly got worse before dying. As I said before, I think the dad and baby died first, and the mom used what little strength she had to attempt to get herself to the car, but died a tiny bit up the trail.
    "Heat stroke rarely affects two people the same way" Do you have ANY evidence to support this statement?
    "They weren't far from the car" They were at least a mile and a half away after apparently already doing most of the loop.
    "Some mysterious cause..." yeah, what about hyperthermia and dehydration? (No, they did not have any more water with them)
    The rest of your points are sheer speculation in an area where you simply don't know what you're talking about.
    I don't know the answer either, I just find it aggravating that people so aggressively want the simplest answer to be wrong because it's not "mysterious" enough.
    Okay, I'll go back to only reading poker and gambling related threads now. Have fun!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Like I said, if you are severely dehydrated you are done unless you can get an IV like right away. It's not like you can slug a bottle of water and feel better. It's clear they were totally dehydrated, and decided to take a break, passed out and died a quick death. This is really not implausible at all anymore. Maybe some germs or fumes accelerated their demise, but these idiots walked too far in one direction in 100+ degree heat with a baby no less. This happens many of time in the winter, but people have just gotten used to the fact people freeze to death in the woods, this is the same thing just temp reversed, but its always dumb asses.
    Agree with tgull, straight hyperthermia is likely the cuase given heat. Your body can shut down real quick if exerting in these conditions.

Obviously hiking in 107+ is idiotic. Portland hit 115 this summer and simply walking to my car was awful and oppressive.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

"Heat stroke rarely affects two people the same way" Do you have ANY evidence to support this statement?
    "They weren't far from the car" They were at least a mile and a half away after apparently already doing most of the loop.
    "Some mysterious cause..." yeah, what about hyperthermia and dehydration? (No, they did not have any more water with them)
    The rest of your points are sheer speculation in an area where you simply don't know what you're talking about.
    I don't know the answer either, I just find it aggravating that people so aggressively want the simplest answer to be wrong because it's not "mysterious" enough.
    Okay, I'll go back to only reading poker and gambling related threads now. Have fun!
    Sorry but this is not correct.

There was water found in the guy's CamelBak pouch, which in fact was analyzed for toxic algae. Not only was the water free of algae, but it apparently came from a "clean" source before they hiked. And the pouch was either full or mostly full.

Heat stroke doesn't hit people like a lightning strike. It's a cumulative thing. If you and I were both walking in the extreme heat and got heat stroke, it is highly unlikely we would both collapse at the same time. One of us would start feeling symptoms before the other, due to physical differences, tolerance, etc.

Heat stroke would be a very plausible explanation if the dude were hiking alone and found dead. However, when hiking with another adult, it's likely that if one person was suffering from heat stroke, the other would be well enough to tough it out for another 1.5 miles to the car, and get help. This didn't happen. They were all found close together, and there was plenty of water in the guy's CamelBak pouch.

However, let's say they were all exposed to toxic algae at the same time -- say by swimming in the river. That's something which could have hit them all nearly simultaneously, incapacitated them, and then an eventual death came from heat stroke.

I simply don't believe that two adults got heat stroke to such an extreme degree at the exact same time, where neither went for help, and neither drank all the water they had on them. This looks like a sudden event.

Comments

1marley1: lol. Sorry but this is not correct

Load Metric
    Baby already asleep or donkdown.

They sit to rest, one lays down for a moment, other follows, dog is loyal and stays.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric

There was water found in the guy's CamelBak pouch, which in fact was analyzed for toxic algae. Not only was the water free of algae, but it apparently came from a "clean" source before they hiked. And the pouch was either full or mostly full.

Heat stroke doesn't hit people like a lightning strike. It's a cumulative thing. If you and I were both walking in the extreme heat and got heat stroke, it is highly unlikely we would both collapse at the same time. One of us would start feeling symptoms before the other, due to physical differences, tolerance, etc.

Heat stroke would be a very plausible explanation if the dude were hiking alone and found dead. However, when hiking with another adult, it's likely that if one person was suffering from heat stroke, the other would be well enough to tough it out for another 1.5 miles to the car, and get help. This didn't happen. They were all found close together, and there was plenty of water in the guy's CamelBak pouch.

However, let's say they were all exposed to toxic algae at the same time -- say by swimming in the river. That's something which could have hit them all nearly simultaneously, incapacitated them, and then an eventual death came from heat stroke.

I simply don't believe that two adults got heat stroke to such an extreme degree at the exact same time, where neither went for help, and neither drank all the water they had on them. This looks like a sudden event.
    “will often take their (his) best guess and say it with conviction”

If this doesn’t describe Druff, I don’t know a phrase that does
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric

What an awful retort. As someone that almost died of heat stroke, you get to the point drinking water won't save you. You need a drip directly in your bloodstream. In my case the natural inclination was to lie down in a dark room, until I was talked into going to the ER. A leading cause of death in the flu is dehydration, people go to sleep with a bottled water on their night stand and never wake up. It is completely plausible both adults sat down and slowly became disorientated and fell asleep given the temps were approaching 110 and humid. Given there was nothing in the toxicology report, this is the determination.

But to your other point, about why the guy did not walk 1.5 miles for help. Believe it or not Druff, very few people if anyone would leave their wife and infant alone in the woods for several hours in dire straights. I am not sure what I would have done, but I am not leaving saying I'll hopefully see you in three hours. I think in your mind you think you would go look for help, but we all know enough about you know that in your sub conscious you are more likely to think why should all three of us die, when one can live. It's hard to believe any real man would simply take off from his family under the guise of looking for help. I mean going back to your car after a two mile trek what does that do? I'd do everything I could to help my family, but if there is one life preserver on a boat and its sinking I am not wearing it so I can find help, I am going down with my family. But that is -EV long term, eh Druff? But you are the same guying touting the vaccine for yourself but questioning it for kids.

Bronze
    Load Metric

When search teams found the bodies of Jonathan Gerrish and Ellen Chung, along with that of their daughter, Miju, on the morning of Aug. 17, they had no water on them, Jeremy Briese, the Mariposa County sheriff, said during a news conference.

Sheriff Briese said that an 85-ounce CamelBak water bladder that the family had been carrying was empty
    Initial reports that they had water were apparently incorrect.
    Druff, I don't know where you got the water analysis bit. I couldn't find that anywhere.

It was not "the police" who determined cause of death.

Also, they did not head out hiking with an infant in 107 (now reported as 109) degree heat as some of you have been saying. It was 75 when they started. Blame them for not understanding the conditions in a new area they had moved to, but at least be accurate when you are slamming them.

Load Metric

Also, they did not head out hiking with an infant in 107 (now reported as 109) degree heat as some of you have been saying. It was 75 when they started. Blame them for not understanding the conditions in a new area they had moved to, but at least be accurate when you are slamming them.
    Only a certified idiot does not check the weather forecast before venturing for an all day hike. This is like going to the beach before a hurricane and not worrying because its just breezy. I mean you have to use common sense before you take a hike in the middle of the summer with an infant. This was not a random tornado, the forecast was for record heat and there were probably warnings to stay inside. My guess is the husband probably knew of the heat factor and did not appreciate that death was a possibility, or probably thought it was no big deal.

Load Metric
    All died including the dog heat stroke killing them all unlikely imo. Chalk it up to covid.

Comments

splitthis: Lol

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

When search teams found the bodies of Jonathan Gerrish and Ellen Chung, along with that of their daughter, Miju, on the morning of Aug. 17, they had no water on them, Jeremy Briese, the Mariposa County sheriff, said during a news conference.

Sheriff Briese said that an 85-ounce CamelBak water bladder that the family had been carrying was empty
    Initial reports that they had water were apparently incorrect.
    Druff, I don't know where you got the water analysis bit. I couldn't find that anywhere.

It was not "the police" who determined cause of death.

From the Yahoo article posted by JoeD:

They also noted how there were no filtration systems with them, but one 85-ounce Camelbak water bottle and a bottle with formula were found near the site.

The water inside those bottles was tested but came back with no toxins and appeared to be clean or tap water, according to police.
    I guess it doesn't say how much water was in the bottle, but it wasn't zero.

I've had heat exhaustion before, which is basically the non-emergency version of heat stroke. I kept wanting to drink water, and I had access to plenty, but it wasn't helping me cool down or feel better. Finally, going to a cool, air-conditioned place and napping for 90 minutes was what helped me. I'm stating this because I was alarmed at the time that drinking water didn't seem to be helping the situation, even though I felt thirsty and like I kept needing to drink.

If these two adults had heat exhaustion (which would have been before heat stroke), they would have drank every bit of water they had on them. Also, note that on both occasions I had heat exhaustion in my life, the people I was with at the time did not. This is exactly how it plays out, because heat exhaustion (and then heat stroke) hits people at different speeds, depending upon a variety of factors.

Given there's a baby involved, it's highly likely that if one adult felt really lousy and the other just felt semi-lousy (or not that bad yet), the healthier of the two would've grabbed the baby and dog, gone back to the car, and gotten help. It's not likely they'd just all sit down and let everyone fry -- at least for not any long period of time.

This really looks like an abrupt problem hit all of them nearly simultaneously, incapacitated everyone, and they died of heat stroke as a result.

It is very possible that they can't detect poisoning from toxic algae if it was not directly ingested, and if the algae simply got them sick enough to stop being able to walk, but didn't directly kill them.

By the way, if it was 75 degrees when they started, that strengthens my claim even more. Heat exhaustion/stroke builds up on you. It doesn't hit you the second the weather gets hot. So it sounds like the 107-109 degrees ramped up near the second half of their hike, and might explain why they could have jumped in the river to cool off.

I think a lot of people here are accepting a cause of death too easily here, without looking at how unlikely this is. Over time, I've seen a number of hiking deaths due to dehydration or heat stroke, but never multiple people in the same party, for the exact reasons I described above. When a baby is involved, it's even less likely that someone wouldn't run off for help.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Well, some more info has come out.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/18/us/ca...rnd/index.html

They dumped the dude's cellphone. Not sure why it took months, but apparently it did.

He tried to send texts and phone calls shortly before he died, mentioning that he and the baby were "over heating" and needed help.

So it probably was heat stroke, after all. He also took 16 pics of the hike, which began at 8am and 75 degree weather, but the 17th picture at around noon was an attempt at showing his location when he was becoming incapacitated from the 108 degree heat.

As you can see, it was a loop hike, and they were near the end of it. But it was long and hot.

They died 1.5 miles from the car, but apparently had been hiking for over 4 hours up until that point, and just fell short of getting back. It's still not clear why both adults died so close by to one another, as heat stroke tends to affect people at different speeds. Perhaps they just stuck together as it was happening.

It is odd that experienced hikers wouldn't be aware of how quickly it can get hot in August if it's already 75 degrees at 8am, and it's also odd that they didn't bring enough water for everyone, given the length of the hike. It does seem they were on the reckless side, bringing a 1-year-old along on these strenuous hikes, including on hot days like that.

Very tragic story, and an example of why you don't take chances when it comes to safety regarding hiking/nature.

Load Metric
    BUMP

Well, some more info has come out.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/18/us/ca...rnd/index.html

They dumped the dude's cellphone. Not sure why it took months, but apparently it did.

He tried to send texts and phone calls shortly before he died, mentioning that he and the baby were "over heating" and needed help.

So it probably was heat stroke, after all. He also took 16 pics of the hike, which began at 8am and 75 degree weather, but the 17th picture at around noon was an attempt at showing his location when he was becoming incapacitated from the 108 degree heat.

As you can see, it was a loop hike, and they were near the end of it. But it was long and hot.

They died 1.5 miles from the car, but apparently had been hiking for over 4 hours up until that point, and just fell short of getting back. It's still not clear why both adults died so close by to one another, as heat stroke tends to affect people at different speeds. Perhaps they just stuck together as it was happening.

It is odd that experienced hikers wouldn't be aware of how quickly it can get hot in August if it's already 75 degrees at 8am, and it's also odd that they didn't bring enough water for everyone, given the length of the hike. It does seem they were on the reckless side, bringing a 1-year-old along on these strenuous hikes, including on hot days like that.

Very tragic story, and an example of why you don't take chances when it comes to safety regarding hiking/nature.
    It’s threads like this one that make people shake their heads at you Druff. You were so confident. So adamant that you were right and others were wrong. Typed long novels about how unlikely and absurd it was. To the point of being pompous. And then it comes out you were in fact wrong.

Maybe quit being so confident in your opinions and almost bullying people into agreeing with you. You don’t actually know everything because you had heat exhaustion once in 1994.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Thread Information