Horrible rule found by Kevmath, regarding the 2021 WSOP, scheduled to start September 30.

https://twitter.com/Kevmath/status/1424768509008035844

Rio reserves the right to remove any Pahticipant from any WSOP event if ... [they] have received a positive result for COVID-19 or come into close proximity (within 6 feet or 15 cumulative minutes) of any person who has tested positive for COVID-19.
Pahtiticipant shall not be entitled to any compensation or remuneration of any type other than what Pahticipant had already been awarded prior to being removed from the WSOP Event.

Twitter is outraged by this. So if reckless unvaccinated dude is next to you on Day 1, and you're the chip leader, and it's found out that he was COVID positive, then you're booted from the event on Day 2, even if you're the chipleader, and even if you personally test negative.

Awful.

I see why they're trying to do it this way (they're afraid to leave anyone in the event who was near others who were COVID positive), but this could be a big issue.

Now, granted this won't come up as much as you might think, because many COVID-positive people at the table either won't know or won't self-report. Or their positive test results won't come in until the event is over. But what if they do get a quick enough diagnosis and report it? And this could even be done vindictively. Say I'm sitting next to John Smith on Day 1, whom I hate, and notice at the end of the day (after I bust) that I have a cough & fever. Then I take a test and see I'm COVID positive. Then I see John has made Day 3 with the chip lead. I can report myself positive, and John is OUT of the tournament!

This will especially be an issue at the Main Event, which goes a long time and there won't be the testing/symptom lag issue.

Some people are telling me they are canceling their WSOP plans because of this rule.