Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone want to bet me regarding Gavin Newsom being recalled?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post

What do you like about Newsom?
    Nothing in particular. But I know he’s better than any alternative the Republicans have put up, and I feel fairly confident that he will keep his job on Tuesday.
    So you're going for the straight white guy who thinks he's an elite that doesn't have to follow the very laws he makes? Your support is simply because he has a "D" next to his name? No black or tranny love from you? Doesn't sound very inclusive Walter.

Silver
    Load Metric

Of course it is about Elder. If Newsom is recalled people will consider who the governor will be. And Californians do not want Elder as governor. Arnold won because he is a moderate palatable to Democrats and his values were in line with California. He supported addressing climate change and was moderate about almost everything. If it had been Elder leading the charge against Gray Davis, Davis would have won.

It is the Republicans who lie cheat and steal to win elections. If they didn’t they would very rarely control any part of Congress or the White House.

I notice you want to resort to violence when you don’t win. Today’s Republican Party y’all.

I don’t have to live in CA to know it’s overwhelmingly Democratic. I don’t have To live in Wyoming to know it’s overwhelmingly Republican. The data are clear.
    While I disagree with many of Newsom's policies (such as border and immigration), I do give him high marks for being very savvy and practical with the way he dealt with Trump. You may recall that when some disaster funds were needed back in 2020, the Feds said no. Newsom got on the phone with Trump on a Friday, told Trump how nice is hair and tan looks and told Trump what a fabulous President he was, and lo and behold California got the emergency funds within 2 hours:

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/local-...om-trump-call/

Compare that with how the Governors of Michigan and New York responded to Trump. Where are those Governors now by the way?

I do agree that the French Laundry indoor dining incident was really bad optics, but quite honestly IDGAF about that. I also agree that Newsom is probably a highfalutin asshole.

But I also think overall Newsom managed the COVID crisis in 2020 fairly well. I don't like that Los Angeles is turning into a SF type shithole, but I don't actually blame Newsom for that. I blame Mayor Garcetti and DA Gascon.

Do I think Larry Elder or Kaitlyn could do a significantly better job handling COVID? Probably not.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by v12cl View Post

It's not about Larry Elder, it's not about Trump, it's about Gavin Newsom.

You don't live here, you don't know shit.

If not now, 2022, when Kevin Kiley gets him 1v1.

There is anger in the air and hearts of real Californians, the ones who grew up here, not the shitty transplants that move here for a few years, vote Dem, then move to red states when they want to start a family and can't afford the bill.

Anyone who thinks that Newsom is going to defeat the easily defeat the recall isn't paying attention. The Dems are pulling out ALL the tricks at every level.

Only way Dems can keep their majority in CA is through lying, cheating, stealing, and unfortunately that is really all they are competent in doing. Very soviet-esque.

Can Newsom piss away all the great wealth of CA before he is out of office? Certainly seems to be trying his best. HANG HIM.
    Of course it is about Elder. If Newsom is recalled people will consider who the governor will be. And Californians do not want Elder as governor. Arnold won because he is a moderate palatable to Democrats and his values were in line with California. He supported addressing climate change and was moderate about almost everything. If it had been Elder leading the charge against Gray Davis, Davis would have won.

It is the Republicans who lie cheat and steal to win elections. If they didn’t they would very rarely control any part of Congress or the White House.

I notice you want to resort to violence when you don’t win. Today’s Republican Party y’all.

I don’t have to live in CA to know it’s overwhelmingly Democratic. I don’t have To live in Wyoming to know it’s overwhelmingly Republican. The data are clear.
    I stand by my assessment, you don't know anything about CA politics.

Roughly 1/3 of those who signed the recall were not Republicans. Lots of pissed of moms, freelancers, and young people who traditionally vote Dem, and also want Newsom hung more than I do.

I have no doubt that Newsom and his personally appointment Secretary of State will find the mail in ballots they need to win.

You can't vote your way out of tyranny.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeD View Post

While I disagree with many of Newsom's policies (such as border and immigration), I do give him high marks for being very savvy and practical with the way he dealt with Trump. You may recall that when some disaster funds were needed back in 2020, the Feds said no. Newsom got on the phone with Trump on a Friday, told Trump how nice is hair and tan looks and told Trump what a fabulous President he was, and lo and behold California got the emergency funds within 2 hours:

Compare that with how the Governors of Michigan and New York responded to Trump. Where are those Governors now by the way?

I do agree that the French Laundry indoor dining incident was really bad optics, but quite honestly IDGAF about that. I also agree that Newsom is probably a highfalutin asshole.

But I also think overall Newsom managed the COVID crisis in 2020 fairly well. I don't like that Los Angeles is turning into a SF type shithole, but I don't actually blame Newsom for that. I blame Mayor Garcetti and DA Gascon.

Do I think Larry Elder or Kaitlyn could do a significantly better job handling COVID? Probably not.
    They would not do a better job handling anything at all.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric

Nothing in particular. But I know he’s better than any alternative the Republicans have put up, and I feel fairly confident that he will keep his job on Tuesday.
    So you're going for the straight white guy who thinks he's an elite that doesn't have to follow the very laws he makes? Your support is simply because he has a "D" next to his name? No black or tranny love from you? Doesn't sound very inclusive Walter.
    I don’t vote based on identity politics. I vote based on competence and policy. I’m not voting for a shitbag right-wing extremist who happens to be black.

If you’re looking for crazy blind identity politics you’ll find it in the Trump wing of the Republican Party.

Load Metric

Roughly 1/3 of those who signed the recall were not Republicans. Lots of pissed of moms, freelancers, and young people who traditionally vote Dem, and also want Newsom hung more than I do.

I have no doubt that Newsom and his personally appointment Secretary of State will find the mail in ballots they need to win.

Lol tyranny, what a joke.

You’re letting confirmation bias and your own preferences cloud your ability to analyze the situation on the ground as it actually is.

Enjoy Newsom until the end of his term and enjoy CA being a solid blue state for the foreseeable future.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeD View Post

There's also the issue of him having his kids go to private school while closing down public school. Not really looking out for the middle and lower classes. He's the type of guy that when getting pulled over for speeding that will say, don't you know who I am. A real entitled piece of shit. I try to avoid such people as much as possible. It's interesting you think he's done a good job with covid, small business owners across the state, both Republican and Democrat, would like to have a word.

I actually think it was fairly easy to get assistance out of Trump. He supplied Cuomo with 1000s of ventilators (I believe Cuomo requested something like 60k) and an entire Navy medical ship, they weren't needed but Trump had the ventilators manufactured and supplied them nonetheless.

Silver
    Load Metric

Lol tyranny, what a joke.

You’re letting confirmation bias and your own preferences cloud your ability to analyze the situation on the ground as it actually is.

Enjoy Newsom until the end of his term and enjoy CA being a solid blue state for the foreseeable future.
    Don't tell me about confirmation bias, and my judgement being clouded, there is no Dem pushed policy, no matter how depraved, that you wouldn't endorse.

Forcing a jab in people who already have natural antibodies, and having to show papers to eat at a restaurant is way closer to tyranny than I want to go.

Shutting down businesses, schools and churches, dumping sand in the skatepark and chasing a lone paddleboarder in the ocean was just the preview.

Unless people resist, we will be scanning an app to show we have had our 10th booster shot or we can't do business. First SF, then CA, then to the rest of the nation. Just like lockdowns. Already here in SF, and if Newsom defeats the recall, the state.

Once it happens, I'll refer to this post, and you will go from calling me a conspiracy theorist to telling me it was a good idea. Or are we already there?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    On the real, closing down the beaches is one of the most brain dead things that was done in this pandemic, happened in Florida as well. Beaches have to be one of the safest places you can be. I'd like to know what science was being followed.

Load Metric
    On the real, closing down the beaches is one of the most brain dead things that was done in this pandemic, happened in Florida as well. Beaches have to be one of the safest places you can be. I'd like to know what science was being followed.
    Sure if everyone is somewhat sober, keeps their distance and kindly returns to their own homes. I don't know have you met people before.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: Exactly

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post
    Sure if everyone is somewhat sober, keeps their distance and kindly returns to their own homes. I don't know have you met people before.
    You can't drink alcohol on the California beaches.

Load Metric
    I would probably almost never vote for Newsom in a primary, he's not my type of Dem, but given that Newsom's opponents in this recall resemble characters from a David Lynch or Federico Fellini movie, there doesn't seem to be a palatable alternative.

Also, if the recall is actually close, Newsom's exceptional use of hair product could be the deciding factor.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCommode View Post
    I would probably almost never vote for Newsom in a primary, he's not my type of Dem, but given that Newsom's opponents in this recall resemble characters from a David Lynch or Federico Fellini movie, there doesn't seem to be a palatable alternative.

Also, if the recall is actually close, Newsom's exceptional use of hair product could be the deciding factor.
    I will tell you an actual story about the last governor we kicked out. There was an opening of an eco-friendly power plant near Taft. Governor Davis was there to “flip the switch”. The ceremony was to be inside, but they had to move it outdoors, which was a huge pain in the ass. The reason? OSHA mandated helmets be worn inside the plant. The governor threw a hissy fit because wearing a helmet would mess up his hair!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Newsom is probably going to beat this. The Texas abortion thing killed the momentum of the recall.

However, Republicans made a mistake by not putting up a strong Hispanic candidate. Newsom has never been popular with Hispanics, who make up 40% (!!) of California's population. Most of them are Dems. If a healthy % are willing to flip and vote for one of their own, over the out-of-touch rich white guy who has always ignored them, this could have worked.

Comments

tbuck27: Wrong. There was never a realistic chance for a successful recall. SFO, was easy mark

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Newsom is probably going to beat this. The Texas abortion thing killed the momentum of the recall.

However, Republicans made a mistake by not putting up a strong Hispanic candidate. Newsom has never been popular with Hispanics, who make up 40% (!!) of California's population. Most of them are Dems. If a healthy % are willing to flip and vote for one of their own, over the out-of-touch rich white guy who has always ignored them, this could have worked.
    Actually I think the Republicans would have had to put out a candidate that has a huge presence, so they could be on people's minds with no media attention. Media (big tech, local and national) conspiring to not give any Republican candidate any exposure is a pretty big deal IMO. Which means it would have to be a celebrity; which would be hard because any celebrity that ran as a R in a California recall would be blackballed by Hollywood and the establishment would spend the rest of that persons life doing their best to ruin them as retribution.

So it would basically have to be someone that is too old to give a F, like Clint Eastwood. And I don't even know if Clint Eastwood supports the recall, and he has a movie coming out so not great timing for him to get on the enemy list of the media, big tech and the Dem machine.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Actually I think the Republicans would have had to put out a candidate that has a huge presence, so they could be on people's minds with no media attention. Media (big tech, local and national) conspiring to not give any Republican candidate any exposure is a pretty big deal IMO. Which means it would have to be a celebrity; which would be hard because any celebrity that ran as a R in a California recall would be blackballed by Hollywood and the establishment would spend the rest of that persons life doing their best to ruin them as retribution.

So it would basically have to be someone that is too old to give a F, like Clint Eastwood. And I don't even know if Clint Eastwood supports the recall, and he has a movie coming out so not great timing for him to get on the enemy list of the media, big tech and the Dem machine.
    LOL media conspiracy. They cover these people all the time. The people running are complete fuckups. Maybe that’s your problem.

Gold
    Load Metric

LOL media conspiracy. They cover these people all the time. The people running are complete fuckups. Maybe that’s your problem.
    I think you underestimate how many sane center/right-leaning people there are, some of them with actual good ideas, who are unwilling to put their head up because they know it will be whacked from the right by Trump and from the left by the media/big tech/Big D cabal.

Load Metric

I think you underestimate how many sane center/right-leaning people there are, some of them with actual good ideas, who are unwilling to put their head up because they know it will be whacked from the right by Trump and from the left by the media/big tech/Big D cabal.
    actually the lefts been fairly accommodating towards disenfranchised right wingers who are fleeing trump's reign. the problem is so many of those 'center rights' are just hedging against trump's inevitable casting as the literal architect of america's descent into fascism and dont actually disagree with any of his policies, just his optics.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: This
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

The same people ready left and are voting Democrats until (if) the party rids itself of Trump.

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric
    Where are we at on this? Druff you still taking bets?

Comments

Walter Sobchak: Lol

Thread Information