Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Great Resignation

Load Metric

The Great Resignation

My son does the hiring now and I knew it was hard to find people but kinda enjoyed his suffering. He ends up working the jobs and shifts for those empty slots. He’s salary too. No words are spoken. No tears kid.

He ends up hiring a 72 year old woman recently who used to have a bed and breakfast pre pandemic. “You did what?” I ask. He says, “you have no idea.” Turns out she has minimal computer aptitude and he’s gonna have to let her go. It just a weird visual cause he’s so young.

My Zappos daughter (4 jobs ago) announced she’s making another move this afternoon and introduced me to the term “The Great Resignation”. She says, “you have no idea how much money is out there.” “Everyone is job hopping”. She says she is the last of two on her current software dev team.

The Great Resignation - there’s a term for it. I knew we were in a boom and things were tight but still. I need to dive into this.

Comments

Forum Wars: This just gets crazier and crazier each day. Good Topic.

NickyPipes: Good topic

GambleBotsChafedPenis: Fucking Amazing Rep

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    My son does the hiring now and I knew it was hard to find people but kinda enjoyed his suffering. He ends up working the jobs and shifts for those empty slots. No words are spoken. No tears kid.

He ends up hiring a 72 year old woman recently who used to have a bed and breakfast pre pandemic. “You did what?” I ask. He says, “you have no idea.” Turns out she has minimal computer aptitude and he’s gonna have to let her go. It just a weird visual cause he’s so young.

My Zappos daughter (4 jobs ago) announced she’s making another move this afternoon and introduced me to the term “The Great Resignation”. She says, “you have no idea how much money is out there.” “Everyone is job hopping”. She says she is the last of two on her current software dev team.

The Great Resignation I never heard the term before this afternoon. I knew we were in a boom and things were tight but still. I need to dive into this.

We haven’t seen anything yet.

People are walking off of $20/$30 an hour jobs. Half the restaurants on Lake Winnie are closed Mon-Wed and the ones that are open have a 2 hour wait. You can’t find anyone to do anything ……….

And we are signing a glorified stimulus bill into law and the administration wants to run a fiscal deficit of 2T plus.

Going from $25 an hour to $35 an hour sounds awesome until your rent goes from 2k to 3K, you find out your tax bracket just jumped 10% and there ain’t a $1 menu left to shop from.

Comments

Forum Wars: Extremely well stated

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    My son does the hiring now and I knew it was hard to find people but kinda enjoyed his suffering. He ends up working the jobs and shifts for those empty slots. No words are spoken. No tears kid.

The Great Resignation I never heard the term before this afternoon. I knew we were in a boom and things were tight but still. I need to dive into this.

People are walking off of $20/$30 an hour jobs. Half the restaurants on Lake Winnie are closed Mon-Wed and the ones that are open have a 2 hour wait. You can’t find anyone to do anything ……….

And we are signing a glorified stimulus bill into law and the administration wants to run a fiscal deficit of 2T plus.

Going from $25 an hour to $35 an hour sounds awesome until your rent goes from 2k to 3K, you find out your tax bracket just jumped 10% and there ain’t a $1 menu left to shop from.

Weird, business are hiring left and right here.. Not just left. It’s bloom or gloom

Gold
    Load Metric
    I had a career that I put on hold during the pandemic and never rejoined the job market, and may never will. I have a home business and am doing Instacart on the side (which just got real busy again) and doing decent with complete flexibility. Hard to walk away from that to be in a rigid 9 to 5, even if a little more $$.

The only thing that hurts about working for yourself is no paid holidays. When you take a week off, you make nothing, and that does sting a little.

Comments

MumblesBadly: But you get to spend your holidays hanging out with boss. #HiddenPerk

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post
    I had a career that I put on hold during the pandemic and never rejoined the job market, and may never will. I have a home business and am doing Instacart on the side (which just got real busy again) and doing decent with complete flexibility. Hard to walk away from that to be in a rigid 9 to 5, even if a little more $$.

The only thing that hurts about working for yourself is no paid holidays. When you take a week off, you make nothing, and that does sting a little.
    Yes, everyone talks about the restaurants and other service type jobs but its a phenomenon far greater than that it seems.

Daughter was telling me everyone was furloughed at her company and many just never came back, like you. Never to be heard from again.

She was telling me she rarely checked her LinkedIn and had a couple contacts. One company was awarded a contract from Google but had no staff to fulfill it. The recruiter was told, “just hire at max”. My kid had some technical questions and a zoom call was arranged with the dev team the next day and she was approved on the spot. That was a weird process to me.

I have no solution for our own business but to raise salary. We have never been busier. The whole “temporary inflation” thing is nonsense. People use lumber prices as the stock example. They rose cause sawmills closed down. Then they fell. Well, salaries are sticky. Salaries are forever and you will be paying the increase in increased cost for goods or services.

Until AI and robots take those jobs, that is.

Load Metric

I’ve seen that. I’ve seen the signs in front of dark businesses during the daytime. It’s so weird.

Are you still up there?

I’m working on our superspreader event down here. Gonna be on television.

Load Metric
    Few friends and wives of friends have resigned or significantly reduced their full time hours.

Most are in their 40s still. Most also have one stable income and the other starts doing freelance / gig type work.

I think covid scared people a bit so people want to work less and live more while they are still here.

Kind of helps their significant other earns six figures and their retirement / pension / investments / house has skyrocketed so there is a backstop if things go sour.

Load Metric

I’ve seen that. I’ve seen the signs in front of dark businesses during the daytime. It’s so weird.

Are you still up there?

I’m working on our superspreader event down here. Gonna be on television.
    Deflation is and never was a possibility. You can’t have a 27T deficit with a 3T annual budget.

Housing, investments wages………. And costs need to double in the next 2-3 years.

Load Metric
    My son does the hiring now and I knew it was hard to find people but kinda enjoyed his suffering. He ends up working the jobs and shifts for those empty slots. He’s salary too. No words are spoken. No tears kid.

The Great Resignation - there’s a term for it. I knew we were in a boom and things were tight but still. I need to dive into this.
    millennial presumably...

and lol, this is what some presume we have to look forward too, they aint scurred the gubmint will support them if all else fails right...... #Millennials

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Few friends and wives of friends have resigned or significantly reduced their full time hours.

Most are in their 40s still. Most also have one stable income and the other starts doing freelance / gig type work.

I think covid scared people a bit so people want to work less and live more while they are still here.

Kind of helps their significant other earns six figures and their retirement / pension / investments / house has skyrocketed so there is a backstop if things go sour.
    You just described me to a T. Throw in grandma died and sole heir of slightly 6 figures as well as spouse making 6 figures and why would I work? I guarantee my young boys remember this summer fondly.

Comments

NickyPipes: Brother it’s nice you got to spend that time with your kids
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Gold
    Load Metric
    Brothers it’s very interesting to read this discussion. It’s a great topics and some good insights here

The thing is, I don’t come from this world and don’t interact with it much but it’s interesting to read about

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    On my trip, a lot of restaurants (especially in remote areas) were short staffed, or outright closed. They couldn't get staff.

I see signs around town where I live, with phone numbers to call to get work, with the note that the business will remain closed until they find such help.

Biden done fucked up the economy. The payments should have ended as soon as the vaccines rolled out, and jobs were plentiful. Right now jobs are more plentiful than any time in my life.

People got a taste of what it's like to have all day to yourself. It's nice. I got that taste 18 years ago when I quit to become a full time poker pro. I also couldn't bring myself to go back, unless I had no other option, so I understand.

Another big problem is that it's hard to fire shit employees. Before, you knew other people would be right behind to take those positions not anymore. Sometimes a shit employee is better than no employee.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    On my trip, a lot of restaurants (especially in remote areas) were short staffed, or outright closed. They couldn't get staff.

I see signs around town where I live, with phone numbers to call to get work, with the note that the business will remain closed until they find such help.

Biden done fucked up the economy. The payments should have ended as soon as the vaccines rolled out, and jobs were plentiful. Right now jobs are more plentiful than any time in my life.

People got a taste of what it's like to have all day to yourself. It's nice. I got that taste 18 years ago when I quit to become a full time poker pro. I also couldn't bring myself to go back, unless I had no other option, so I understand.

Another big problem is that it's hard to fire shit employees. Before, you knew other people would be right behind to take those positions not anymore. Sometimes a shit employee is better than no employee.
    Brother it is not nice, it is sloth it is laziness

A man must be engaging in business and commerce and pursuing high level goals

A man is driven by ambition and purpose, not motivated to spend his day lazing about puttzing around with leisure

Brother please take heed

Load Metric

There is unemployment - which has run out in most states, I believe. Haven’t most governors pulled the plug on the unemployment bonus?

The Great Resignation speaks instead to the huge boom brought about by fiscal stimulus and free debt capital. You got a business expansion concept? Now is the time to bolt on business. Opportunities for those whom formerly served your appetizer now exist. A lot of those service people also saw how tenuous their industries were in this crisis and looked to avail themselves of the new opportunities that now abound.

It goes on to remote workers being called back to the office who are saying “no thanks”.

It’s a frenzy out there that ain’t going to stop next month. As long as Covid exists fiscal and monetary stimulus will continue. Buckle up.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Got called back to the office...that lasted a week...with Delta, most are back at home unless their boss is a dick.

The bigwigs must hear the grumbling because their tune changed pretty fast from come in every day, to come in on every other day...now come in if you have a big meeting.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post

Yes, everyone talks about the restaurants and other service type jobs but its a phenomenon far greater than that it seems.

Daughter was telling me everyone was furloughed at her company and many just never came back, like you. Never to be heard from again.

She was telling me she rarely checked her LinkedIn and had a couple contacts. One company was awarded a contract from Google but had no staff to fulfill it. The recruiter was told, “just hire at max”. My kid had some technical questions and a zoom call was arranged with the dev team the next day and she was approved on the spot. That was a weird process to me.

I have no solution for our own business but to raise salary. We have never been busier. The whole “temporary inflation” thing is nonsense. People use lumber prices as the stock example. They rose cause sawmills closed down. Then they fell. Well, salaries are sticky. Salaries are forever and you will be paying the increase in increased cost for goods or services.

Until AI and robots take those jobs, that is.
    i know the daughter is still young and all but sounds like she's got 'em by the fucking balls...

tell her to ask for an equity stake and to thank GBCP when she is 40 and retired and sucking down margaritas on a beach in hawaii...

Load Metric

There is unemployment - which has run out in most states, I believe. Haven’t most governors pulled the plug on the unemployment bonus?

The Great Resignation speaks instead to the huge boom brought about by fiscal stimulus and free debt capital. You got a business expansion concept? Now is the time to bolt on business. Opportunities for those whom formerly served your appetizer now exist. A lot of those service people also saw how tenuous their industries were in this crisis and looked to avail themselves of the new opportunities that now abound.

It goes on to remote workers being called back to the office who are saying “no thanks”.

It’s a frenzy out there that ain’t going to stop next month. As long as Covid exists fiscal and monetary stimulus will continue. Buckle up.
    Yeah, as far as I understand, unemployment supplements got cut off months ago here, yet it’s the same. This is a area with normally high unemployment, and many things are closed on mondays now for lack of staff. Just random days during the week. It’s beyond just wait level staff, as factories are hiring. Pretty much everything is.

It’s across all socioeconomic classes. Jobs like your daughters and low end jobs. It’s strange. I can’t even get a tee time on weekdays. My area has great golf courses, and cheap. The demo is older, so mornings were always locked out, but now the course is jammed on Tuesday at 2PM with forty year olds. Lot easier to sneak in a round working from home. Everyone I know basically works from home permanently now except teachers and doctors and nurses and those fields. Teachers have half the time the last 18 months and it’s summer. It’s crazy how busy things are that never were on random weekdays.

It’s a unique time.

Load Metric
    Unemployment (PUA) doesn't run out until September.

But that's not the reason that many lower level working jobs have not been filled.

The worker's that had those jobs are gone.

Dead from covid? Maybe. Most likely because they moved out.
    Some moved back in with their parents.
    Other people who saved money, bought homes, sold their home and bought an RV.
    There is currently a 6 to 8 month waiting period to buy a new RV.

When September ends will these lower level workers come back? No, only some of them. So you better start welcoming illegal immigrants to fill those jobs.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Brother if you need an RV please message me. My team can hook you up, no wait period, send the money they’ll drop off the RV tomorrow

Load Metric
    The entire year plus heading up to the collapse of the Weimar Republic people thought things were a little off but everything seemed to be great. Everyone had money when circumstances said they probably shouldn’t. Nobody wanted to work and employment was through the roof. Deficits exploded as did prices.

Sound familiar?

Not saying we going to be Weimar…..

Thread Information