Thread: Ireland Trip report

Bronze
    Load Metric

Ireland Trip report

1. Based this trip in Dublin for a few reasons. Some bad some good. Dublin is fucking expensive. Ireland overall is $$$. Whatever you think you budget should be 3.5x it.

2. Crazy drivers in Dublin. Small roads. Nowhere to park. I did not get a car thankfully. Charge you to park as well.

3. Bus tours have been awesome. Cliffs of Moher, Blarney Castle, Giants Causeway. 3 separate 12 hour day trips with multiple stops.

4. A travel adapter is the lifeblood of the trip as they have G plugs. Also, some tour buses have USB ports to charge phones.

5. Food is mostly bland, service is slow. Expect 1.5 hours to eat even if you’re seated right away.

6. Beautiful country though. Very interesting your sites.

7. If I did it again, would spend 1-2 nights tops in Dublin. Definitely don’t recommend a car anywhere narrow roads.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Guinness Storehouse was a lot cooler than I thought it would be. Must do. Relatively cheap compared to everything else.

Load Metric
    correct me if im wrong but absolutely legendary seafood by the shore tho, no?

Comments

dmndkutr: Correct
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Gold
    Load Metric
    Brother that’s very cool I would like to visit Ireland

Did you go on a tour or by yourself?

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Took the family on a trip we have wanted to go on for a long time. Ireland just opened up to Americans on July 19 and in general as well. It was tough planning. Booked a hotel for a week in Dublin and took multiple bus tours out of Dublin to the most prominent stops (4 different 9-12 hour days). Also did some museums and Dublin Castle, and Cathedrals in Dublin.

Really enjoying it. Last fun day is today. Tomorrow we go get tested at airport and back to the U.S.

It is a very beautiful place.

Load Metric
    Glad you enjoyed it, I can see how the roads seem small compared to the US but believe me there are a lot crazier drivers on the continent lol

Americans always complain the food is bland lol. I agree the food is very samey in general, not much variety especially when compared to the states.

Yeah you’re better travelling around, Dublin isn’t a good showcase of what Ireland has to offer- it is one of the most expensive cities in Europe, definitely don’t recommend staying there long

I find a lot of the best stuff to see is in the North- the Antrim coast, Fermanagh, Slieve Donard, Carrick-a-rede rope bridge- Giants causeway as you already mentioned

I live in Belfast, so if anyone is passing through hit me up!
    BALLIN'!!

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Aw man , that tour did go through Belfast as well. So I was up by you (Northern Ireland and Great Britain?). Finally made it home. We did really enjoy our time there and took in as much as we could. We did acclimate to some of it by the end though.

We had always wanted to go and actually COVID helped us out in many ways since we were vaccinated. On top of that, we didn’t have to compete with cruises for the popular spots. The tours had just started running. We ended up doing 4 different ones. It was the first or 2nd day back for 3 of them since March of 2020.

The last tour was just my family and 3 separate single females in their twenties from Italy, Germany, and Australia.

Amazing.

Thread Information