Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evander Kane - Gambling problems

Load Metric

Evander Kane - Gambling problems

I'm sure we have discussed this somewhere (wagering thread?) but this just went up a huge level.

The NHL said it will investigate an allegation made by Evander Kane's wife that the San Jose Sharks forward bet on his own games and has intentionally tried to lose for gambling profit.
    Anna Kane wrote: "How does the NHL let a compulsive gambling addict still play when he's obviously throwing games to win money? Hmm maybe someone needs to address this."
    In a separate post, Anna Kane accused her husband of spending lavishly partying in Europe while asking her to sell her wedding ring to survive and wrote about not being able to afford baby formula for their child.

I actually thought he was making his way through bankruptcy, going to pay some debts and rebound. He had 49 pts in 56 games this past year.

If this proves true, he's going to be divorced, without a job and flat broke despite earning 56 million to this point (and also would be leaving 28 million more on the table).

I don't see this being a 1-2 yr suspension, they will want to make an example of him.

Load Metric
    And since Kane likes gambling.....

-300 divorce coming
    -550 he was cheating on her in europe

Have to wonder if he was betting anywhere online with digital trails?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    And since Kane likes gambling.....

-300 divorce coming
    -550 he was cheating on her in europe

Have to wonder if he was betting anywhere online with digital trails?
    I saw something where like $1.5m was recent gambling debt, like last few months. There's for sure a trail one way or teh other.

Load Metric
    Skateless Evander Kane.

Related...so basically Toews is the one who got assraped by the Blackhawks doctor then right? Seems like too big of a coincidence for that not to be the case.

Load Metric
    Yeah, we’ve talked about this before. My observation at the time was that when you saw him on the ice it was incomprehensible to think of the enormous wealth he has frittered away. He seemed totally unaffected. He played at a very high level especially considering his age. Loved a good fight too. You would see no indication he was depressed or whatever as any normal person would be.

Never dawned on me to consider game fixing as an angle. At the time he was due for another huge signing.

Honestly, he played hard and if I was opposite the Sharks with a bet he scared me. I never saw any indication of him dogging it.

For now I’m going to write this off as a bitter wife who ain’t too bright. He loses his gig and she loses alimony.

Can’t wait to wade into the story.

Comments

Salty_Aus: Hell hath no fury

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Yeah, we’ve talked about this before. My observation at the time was that when you saw him on the ice it was incomprehensible to think of the enormous wealth he has frittered away. He seemed totally unaffected. He played at a very high level especially considering his age. Loved a good fight too. You would see no indication he was depressed or whatever as any normal person would be.

Never dawned on me to consider game fixing as an angle. At the time he was due for another huge signing.

Honestly, he played hard and if I was opposite the Sharks with a bet he scared me. I never saw any indication of him dogging it.

For now I’m going to write this off as a bitter wife who ain’t too bright. He loses his gig and she loses alimony.

He was no starting pitcher in baseball. He could score a point a game and know his team behind him sucked ass.

Good way to middle it there, in the long game.

Load Metric

Maybe needing to fund the gambling debt/habit was a good motivator.

A fisherman sees another fisherman from afar
    BALLIN'!!

Load Metric
    Gambling is illegal at Bushwood....and I never slice.

Load Metric
    “Unfortunately I would like to address the completely FALSE accusations that my estranged and soon to be ex-wife has made against me.” Kane wrote in a statement he released on Twitter Sunday morning.

“Even against the advice of my legal team I feel strongly that the public and fans here [sic] this directly from me. I have NEVER gambled/bet on Hockey, NEVER gambled/bet on a Sharks game, NEVER gambled/bet on any of my games and NEVER thrown a hockey game.”

He's taking a hard stance here and risking his career.

I'm going to do a Druff-like take and assume his ex-wife is kinda crazy + he did gamble away a ton of money.

So he likely didn't bet on hockey but lost a ton on everything else, and is partying like it's 1999 while she's barely scraping by with the baby.

She'll get a bunch back in court for sure, but he won't be banished from hockey.

Comments

country978: party like its 1999 - lol!

Gold
    Load Metric
    I think he is guilty for sure. She wouldn’t make that specific accusation if it was not true in my opinion. If a woman wants to make up false accusations against a high profit athlete and ruin his career, there are numerous other lies she would use before this one that would be as or if not more damaging

Listen this Kane guy is fucked but I wish him the best

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyPipes View Post
    I think he is guilty for sure. She wouldn’t make that specific accusation if it was not true in my opinion. If a woman wants to make up false accusations against a high profit athlete and ruin his career, there are numerous other lies she would use before this one that would be as or if not more damaging

Pipes the bachelor.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Gone scorched earth.

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

But yeah, he’s fucked. Guys get black balled from sports for less.

She’s still an idiot regardless of what he did. It’ll cost her

Load Metric
    Bitches, man.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyPipes View Post

Pipes the bachelor.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Gone scorched earth.

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

But yeah, he’s fucked. Guys get black balled from sports for less.

She’s still an idiot regardless of what he did. It’ll cost her
    This is correct. A woman scorned will fuck you up. Doesn’t matter if it’s true or makes sense.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Gold
    Load Metric
    Brothers Pipes understands what you are saying and considered this

Nicky Pipes does not think this is the lie a woman would make up to damage a man

This is not how a woman thinks, it’s not what they would go to

He did it and told her and now she’s running her mouth for the same reasons you are mention but she’s not lying, he did it

That’s just my opinion fellas.

Load Metric
    Bump. Interesting that Evander Kane's gambling debts appear to be poker-related.

Any ideas which "high-profile poker players" he owes?

Can I get a line on whether Kane plays another game in the NHL?

https://www.markerzone.com/news/index.php?no=56619&s=8

Load Metric
    @shrink

Before we set a line - why exactly do you think he won’t play another game in the NHL? I rather agree with you but am curious which aspect of Kane’s story you think makes him a pariah as an athlete.

Load Metric
    @shrink

Before we set a line - why exactly do you think he won’t play another game in the NHL? I rather agree with you but am curious which aspect of Kane’s story you think makes him a pariah as an athlete.
    Primarily, the accusations of domestic violence.

Secondarily, the accusations of sports gambling and game fixing.

I actually believe him when he says he's never gambled on hockey let alone his own games. The game fixing accusations are particularly absurd as it would be extraordinarily difficult for an individual player to affect the outcome of an NHL game.

However, I'm not so sure about the spousal abuse accusations. They seem more credible and NHL teams won't want to deal with a player with that baggage. Recently, Slava Voynov was exiled to Siberia (literally) after he was arrested on misdemeanor domestic violence charges against his wife. He ended up pleading no contest and got probation. Even though he is certainly good enough and allowed to play in the NHL, no teams will touch him and he now plays in the KHL in Russia. Jake Virtanen of the Vancouver Canucks was also accused of sexual misconduct. He was never charged but the Canucks placed him on unconditional waivers and he's now playing in the KHL as well.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shrink View Post
    @shrink

I actually believe him when he says he's never gambled on hockey let alone his own games. The game fixing accusations are particularly absurd as it would be extraordinarily difficult for an individual player to affect the outcome of an NHL game.

However, I'm not so sure about the spousal abuse accusations. They seem more credible and NHL teams won't want to deal with a player with that baggage. Recently, Slava Voynov was exiled to Siberia (literally) after he was arrested on misdemeanor domestic violence charges against his wife. He ended up pleading no contest and got probation. Even though he is certainly good enough and allowed to play in the NHL, no teams will touch him and he now plays in the KHL in Russia. Jake Virtanen of the Vancouver Canucks was also accused of sexual misconduct. He was never charged but the Canucks placed him on unconditional waivers and he's now playing in the KHL as well.
    I would think hockey would be one of the easier sports to fix, assuming you have the goalie in your pocket.

I'd say Kane being done in NHL is like +150

Load Metric
    @shrink

Simpdog and I chatted about his gambling and debt what seems like years ago. I always marveled at now unaffected his play and demeanor appeared to be. I’d have come unraveled. Everyone knew and nobody cared.

The scorned and battered wife was the third rail.

Players have been mistreating their wives since the cave men played pond hockey. What is different is that in recent years women were given the right to bear phones. As well, women are fans and the leagues value them.

Druff didn’t understand this with the Bauer story. He has difficulty separating his own ideals from the reality around him. Druff did make an interesting comment regarding the wisdom of being married during your short professional career. That is to deny some primary emotional and physical urges.

Our dicks are dreamers. Bill Burr

When the dasher board has a Caesars and PointsBet logo you know it’s the woman.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

I would think hockey would be one of the easier sports to fix, assuming you have the goalie in your pocket.

I'd say Kane being done in NHL is like +150
    True, a goalie could do it. However, if they let in a couple of bad goals it would appear more obvious and they're likely to be pulled. Compare to basketball where purposefully bad play can be more subtle (a missed shot here, bad coverage there) affecting smaller events that accumulate over the course of a full game.

I agree with your line. Slight favorite to never play again in the NHL. The KHL however...

Thread Information