Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Want to work at TJ Maxx for $16 an hour? Get a Masters in Film from Ivy League Columbia

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Loan? Wasn’t the government simply gonna hand out free tuition?

Ive lost track but weren’t we going to see student loan forgiveness of perhaps $50k? There must of been some discussion of the whole nut. Is that buried in the new infrastructure bill?

Everyone has their hot button issue and this is such an affront to what used to be described as the Puritan Work Ethic (sorry Druff). Kids did work summers and eat peanut butter for dinner. Parents worked two jobs or pulled out their retirement savings for their child’s future at the expense of their own. What we are declaring is that their sacrifice was a mistake. If you have no balance cause you paid it off you lose.

Absolute bullshit.

The average college degree is worth little more than what a high school degree was worth 30 years ago in my experience hiring and firing. ….. and it’s trending down.

The tuition inflation for the reasons cited above is all true. There IS a place for a liberal arts degree in society. It is useful for society but not at today’s insane prices.

A 24 year old having “wasted” 5 full time years and 1-2 part time years working as a plumber/electrician/carpenter - with an aptitude for business and a license to practice is the most likely person in the world to retire a millionaire right now.

Have the world by the absolute balls.
    It's not a bad spot to be in but a newly minted engineer or someone with a medical, law or business degree is probably in a better spot even if it was expensive to get.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

I feel like I made a post elsewhere on here that was basically this, but yes fully agree. Don't forget George W's bankruptcy bill that made student debt unforgivable.

Boondoggle is probably the correct term, but sure reads like a long-term scam when you think about it. Government enables an industry to rape its customers, then pulls the carpet out from the dumb customers who couldn't make smart choices. Now they, like those Columbia kids, are essentially slaves to the gvmnt for life.

I worked full-time throughout my college years, with the exception of my frosh year when I had a partial scholarship and just worked a work-study job that came with it. After that, it was my 32-35 hour a week job had first priority, then fit in whatever classes I could. Only took 2 loans ever, totaling about $6k. Long paid off. Obviously, I am against the forgiveness ideas the nutjobs are pushing in DC.
    It’s bullshit. I’m a state school kid and I’m proud to say it. Worked 5 years as a bank teller on Saturdays and a petroleum transfer agent at night all through college. Lived at home the whole time. Had a bigger credit card bill when I was done than school debt.

The journey was the lesson. I learned more about business working as a gas station attendant then I did in most of the classes I took. Getting your ass out of bed and on to the next commitment you made while also carving out time for fun showed you could handle what life throws at you. There are more important lessons than what’s in the textbooks.

Putting an experience on credit sipping $10 coffees living in “luxurious” town houses with no job or hustle while
    Majoring in some subject that absolutely nobody gives a fuck about is a recipe to waste 4 years of your life.

I’d bet on a kid working as a assistant manager at mcdonalds who lives in his parents basement so long as all his free time was watching movies and reading who begs borrows and steals from his friends to put a film together over some pretentious asshole who went to Columbia for “film study”. Imagine walking into James Camerons office with a masters in film from Columbia? He would laugh you out if his office. Guy was practically homeless and learned everything by spending countless hours in libraries.

I got a chip on my shoulder. I worked along side a lot of Ivy kids along the way. Most of them were fired and let go in the post Lehman years. I’m still standing. Fuck them all.
    yup, Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino famously did this when they started out. just begged borrowed and stole to get a movie made while working at a video rental place and a gas station I think

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nunbeater View Post

It’s bullshit. I’m a state school kid and I’m proud to say it. Worked 5 years as a bank teller on Saturdays and a petroleum transfer agent at night all through college. Lived at home the whole time. Had a bigger credit card bill when I was done than school debt.

The journey was the lesson. I learned more about business working as a gas station attendant then I did in most of the classes I took. Getting your ass out of bed and on to the next commitment you made while also carving out time for fun showed you could handle what life throws at you. There are more important lessons than what’s in the textbooks.

Putting an experience on credit sipping $10 coffees living in “luxurious” town houses with no job or hustle while
    Majoring in some subject that absolutely nobody gives a fuck about is a recipe to waste 4 years of your life.

I’d bet on a kid working as a assistant manager at mcdonalds who lives in his parents basement so long as all his free time was watching movies and reading who begs borrows and steals from his friends to put a film together over some pretentious asshole who went to Columbia for “film study”. Imagine walking into James Camerons office with a masters in film from Columbia? He would laugh you out if his office. Guy was practically homeless and learned everything by spending countless hours in libraries.

I got a chip on my shoulder. I worked along side a lot of Ivy kids along the way. Most of them were fired and let go in the post Lehman years. I’m still standing. Fuck them all.
    yup, Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino famously did this when they started out. just begged borrowed and stole to get a movie made while working at a video rental place and a gas station I think
    Not exactly, that was what the script was about in the 1994 Clerks film. Which was Kevin Smiths reenactment some of the local Bayshore area life there some.

Leonardo where that little Gas station is filmed in Clerks. I used to live a couple blocks from this store filmed in Clerks. A legit dumpy little quickie mart, still there I think too maybe.

I'm from the same area both Kevin Smith and Jay Mewes are from (Jay and Silent Bob) Leonardo/Rumson, NJ
    Last edited by garrett; 07-10-2021 at 04:31 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

A 24 year old having “wasted” 5 full time years and 1-2 part time years working as a plumber/electrician/carpenter - with an aptitude for business and a license to practice is the most likely person in the world to retire a millionaire right now.

Have the world by the absolute balls.
    It's not a bad spot to be in but a newly minted engineer or someone with a medical, law or business degree is probably in a better spot even if it was expensive to get.

Fair point - they obviously have the world by the balls as well. But you get my overreaching point here.

Load Metric
    Really has lost a step now that Nick Pipes has entered the fray.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nunbeater View Post

Not exactly, that was what the script was about in the 1994 Clerks film. Which was Kevin Smiths reenactment some of the local Bayshore area life there some.

Leonardo where that little Gas station is filmed in Clerks. I used to live a couple blocks from this store filmed in Clerks. A legit dumpy little quickie mart, still there I think too maybe.

I'm from the same area both Kevin Smith and Jay Mewes are from (Jay and Silent Bob) Leonardo/Rumson, NJ
    No, Nunbeater is correct. Tarantino worked at a video store in LA, Smith worked at the place in Clerks. He was working there during filming of Clerks.

Smith did actually go to film school briefly, but dropped out after a semester. Like a lot of kids, the best part of that school for him was networking, as he met his producer-to-be Scott Mosier there.

Sidenote: Smith was into the poker boom, and also an internet guy, as he had his own forums then also. Always wondered if he ever stumbled across NWP/DD/PFA.

Comments

garrett: I was talking about Kevin Smith and Clerks, not Tarantino lol, im from the same kinda area as Kevin Smith and Jay Mewes, literally. I know people who are good friends with them, locals..
    Last edited by gut; 07-10-2021 at 11:15 AM.

Bronze
    Load Metric

If I was hiring a kid, especially for some white collar, dime a dozen entry level job like an unspecialized paralegal, I would absolutely give preference to applicants that went to community college or state school vs some dimwitted liberal arts graduated from a private college. Especially if in the interview they properly explained why that path is the superior choice in today's higher education system.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

If you aren’t going hard science, engineering, tech, or investment banking/lawyer turned banker, almost everything else at this point seems a bad deal.
    so much fucking

and it's not even close
    Semi-medical masters degrees, such as nursing, physical therapy, and speech pathology, can make good money because of how often health insurance in funding the offering of those services.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    When I went to UCSB (public California college) in 1990, it was $1800 tuition for the entire year. It is currently $14,100, despite an inflationary rate of just more than double.

So why is it 8x as much, when inflation was 2x?

Exact reason everyone is saying -- because the government backs whatever the universities want to charge. Biden's promise to pay everyone's back tuition is both unfair AND just makes the problem worse. It just perpetuates the issue.

There's an easy solution here -- where the schools issue loans, without government backing, and where the students only have the obligation to pay monthly at a rate adjusted for their income. So if they give a $300k loan for film school, and the person ends up working at TJ Maxx making $16 per hour, he has to pay back nothing until he starts making more. The person making $40k/year has to pay back a small amount each month, and the person making $300k/year has to pay back at a normal rate.

This will at least change things to where there's no chance someone getting out of school with massive debt will have it burden them beyond their means.

This will also lead to schools accepting only students who can either pay now or afford to pay later, meaning that poorer people will only be deprived of acceptance when they're on the path to a useless degree anyway. The poor person studying hard science, engineering, or pre-law will likely be accepted if qualified, as they will make enough money later to pay the tuition back.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    i majored in a STEM discipline undergrad and got a job with a blue chip company out of school...started off at $52K base was afforded some legacy OT and got a bonus which brought my total comp up into the low 60s...i would say that today i'd base something in the low to maybe mid 60s with total comp edging up towards the high 60s...if memory serves when i got outta college my comp was generally competitive with buddies of mine who worked for big 4 accounting firms in NYC...

tuition at my undergrad has gone up 200ish% since i graduated...i would have to strongly consider going there nowadays or would have had to switch up my major in STEM...

i'd ballpark that 95% of STEM degrees are in something worthwhile...IMO if you major in a STEM discipline you should be to go to whatever college you want to go to without worrying about being saddled with some stupid ass debt that's going to be hard as hell to pay off (especially if you want to go to grad school)...probably the reason we're gonna keep getting murdered by china in those kinda disciplines...they dont have some fucked up system that has any remote chance of disincentivizing education in areas of societal importance...

and echo whoever said something about that 41 year old dude...jesus fucking christ how fucking retarded can a grown ass man in his late 30s be to think getting an MFA degree for $300K is worth it...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah the 41 year old getting a MFA for $300k is pretty amazing.

That's an industry where you basically have almost no shot trying to break in at a later age. It's not just in front of the camera. Even off-screen, there's an emphasis upon youth, unless you are already established in your career and a known quantity. The worst of both worlds is someone who is over 40 and inexperienced.

I remember an interview with the very talented Hugh Wilson, the man behind WKRP, Police Academy, and other stuff. As the calendar turned over into the 2000s, he couldn't get work. He was only 57 years old in the year 2000, so he wasn't an old man yet, but he was already considered way past his prime in Hollywood circles.

When asked if he was bitter about this, he said no. "I know the feeling. When I was working on 'KRP' or 'Bob Newhart,' if some 'I Love Lucy' writers came in and wanted a job, we'd go, 'Please; you're so done.' So what goes around comes around."

Load Metric
    If there was ever a profession designed for NOT having a college degree let alone a masters it's Hollywood at any level. It truly is shocking people fall for these diploma mills.

Oh, Walter, I will save you the same dumb shit line you keep repeating, I am off to unclog some toilets you dumb fuck. You can keep rotating the same lines over and over again, even Muck Ficon gave up, time to find a new hobby.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: Maybe you should find a new fake persona

Muck Ficon: You still think about me. That's so cute!

Load Metric
    Yeah the 41 year old getting a MFA for $300k is pretty amazing.

That's an industry where you basically have almost no shot trying to break in at a later age. It's not just in front of the camera. Even off-screen, there's an emphasis upon youth, unless you are already established in your career and a known quantity. The worst of both worlds is someone who is over 40 and inexperienced.

I remember an interview with the very talented Hugh Wilson, the man behind WKRP, Police Academy, and other stuff. As the calendar turned over into the 2000s, he couldn't get work. He was only 57 years old in the year 2000, so he wasn't an old man yet, but he was already considered way past his prime in Hollywood circles.

When asked if he was bitter about this, he said no. "I know the feeling. When I was working on 'KRP' or 'Bob Newhart,' if some 'I Love Lucy' writers came in and wanted a job, we'd go, 'Please; you're so done.' So what goes around comes around."
    Well you can, but your best chance at it is investing maybe 10-20k in equipment and doing whatever you want to do on youtube/instagram, not getting a bs degree in a field where that never mattered anyway. It's more embarrassing now for people to major in that, as it's never been easier to get your stuff seen.

You get a couple million youtube followers, you're already making a good living, and there's a solid chance a Netflix/Hulu, maybe even a network (like that matters anymore), will then try to get you something.

Shit, even a great twitter account! Remember Justin Halpern? he was doing jack shit until the "Shit my dad says" twitter blew up.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    If there was ever a profession designed for NOT having a college degree let alone a masters it's Hollywood at any level. It truly is shocking people fall for these diploma mills.

Oh, Walter, I will save you the same dumb shit line you keep repeating, I am off to unclog some toilets you dumb fuck. You can keep rotating the same lines over and over again, even Muck Ficon gave up, time to find a new hobby.
    Surely $16/hr could chip away at that looming child support figure.

Don't know if you're qualified/able to work the floor but that shit has to come off a truck at some point. Peel off a pair of sneakers and hey, babymomma might be amenable to a (supervised) visit.

Just saying, possibilities here.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Don't know if you're qualified/able to work the floor but that shit has to come off a truck at some point. Peel off a pair of sneakers and hey, babymomma might be amenable to a (supervised) visit.

PFA, here is another obsessed dork. This Baby Momma thing, child support, etc.. Here is a grown man dreaming this shit up in his fucking head day after day. You truly cannot make this shit up. I have wrecked many people on this site since 2007, they dream about me. LOL. Keep making shit up and wasting time you dope.

Comments

PROUDBOY MAGA 2024: Datta boy seagull you tell those two obsessed stalkers.

Walter Sobchak: Piss off

Load Metric

PFA, here is another obsessed dork. This Baby Momma thing, child support, etc.. Here is a grown man dreaming this shit up in his fucking head day after day. You truly cannot make this shit up. I have wrecked many people on this site since 2007, they dream about me. LOL. Keep making shit up and wasting time you dope.
    How's your kid?

Load Metric

How's your kid?
    How is your nurse wife hanging out in Covid-19 wards? She a 'hero'. Fuck off, any man that sends his wife to work in a hospital in a pandemic is not a man, a fucking non-earner loser more like it. If you were a winner, well you get the point.

Load Metric
    When I went to UCSB (public California college) in 1990, it was $1800 tuition for the entire year. It is currently $14,100, despite an inflationary rate of just more than double.

Exact reason everyone is saying -- because the government backs whatever the universities want to charge. Biden's promise to pay everyone's back tuition is both unfair AND just makes the problem worse. It just perpetuates the issue.

There's an easy solution here -- where the schools issue loans, without government backing, and where the students only have the obligation to pay monthly at a rate adjusted for their income. So if they give a $300k loan for film school, and the person ends up working at TJ Maxx making $16 per hour, he has to pay back nothing until he starts making more. The person making $40k/year has to pay back a small amount each month, and the person making $300k/year has to pay back at a normal rate.

This will at least change things to where there's no chance someone getting out of school with massive debt will have it burden them beyond their means.

This will also lead to schools accepting only students who can either pay now or afford to pay later, meaning that poorer people will only be deprived of acceptance when they're on the path to a useless degree anyway. The poor person studying hard science, engineering, or pre-law will likely be accepted if qualified, as they will make enough money later to pay the tuition back.
    That’s not the only reason. Nowadays there aren’t many jobs where you can earn good money without a degree, unlike in decades past. Now it’s so essential to get a degree that they can charge whatever they want and they know people will pay.

Also colleges are competing on amenities and student “experience,” like they’re country clubs. Spoiled kids want perks and that means more money.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

That’s not the only reason. Nowadays there aren’t many jobs where you can earn good money without a degree, unlike in decades past. Now it’s so essential to get a degree that they can charge whatever they want and they know people will pay.

Also colleges are competing on amenities and student “experience,” like they’re country clubs. Spoiled kids want perks and that means more money.
    Apparently you're living in a different world than everyone else in this thread.

My richest buddy from my high school crew never graduated college, he dropped out while working construction since age 18. He became a carpenter, then eventually up to a super on big jobs.

Now yes, what I think you meant was that the average D+ student coming out of high school today can't immediately get hired on at the steel plant and have 40 years with retirement. But thats a different topic.

Load Metric
    Between this and other threads today, I think Walt is a college recruiter.

"Can't go anywhere in life without a degree! Vote Democrat! We'll erase your debt, don't worry! *wink*"

Thread Information