Thread: Channel Islands (southern Calilfornia) - anyone been there?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Channel Islands (southern Calilfornia) - anyone been there?

Despite having gone to UCSB, and despite living in SoCal for decades, I never made it over to the Channel Islands. For those unfamiliar, these do NOT include Catalina Island, which I've visited many times, and is easy to get to.

The Channel Islands are mostly unspoiled islands of the southern CA coast, with no permanent housing, and limited visitation. It's run by the National Park Service.

I have considered going there to visit, and even camping, but never went through with it. I have interest in actually doing this in 2021.

Questions for those who have done it:

1) What was the boat ride like? Really choppy? Did you get seasick? I have about an average tolerance to seasickness, so as long as it's not really rocking, I won't get sick. Is there a better time of year, or better weather pattern I should look for, if I want a smooth ride?

2) Which islands did you visit? Which would you recommend?

3) Did you camp? How was it? Was there a bad issue with bugs in the summer?

4) I heard some of the islands smell bad because of bird shit (I'm not joking). Did you notice this? If so, where?

Any info would be helpful. Thank you.

No trolling or junk posting in this thread, please.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Despite having gone to UCSB, and despite living in SoCal for decades, I never made it over to the Channel Islands. For those unfamiliar, these do NOT include Catalina Island, which I've visited many times, and is easy to get to.

The Channel Islands are mostly unspoiled islands of the southern CA coast, with no permanent housing, and limited visitation. It's run by the National Park Service.

I have considered going there to visit, and even camping, but never went through with it. I have interest in actually doing this in 2021.

Questions for those who have done it:

1) What was the boat ride like? Really choppy? Did you get seasick? I have about an average tolerance to seasickness, so as long as it's not really rocking, I won't get sick. Is there a better time of year, or better weather pattern I should look for, if I want a smooth ride?

2) Which islands did you visit? Which would you recommend?

3) Did you camp? How was it? Was there a bad issue with bugs in the summer?

4) I heard some of the islands smell bad because of bird shit (I'm not joking). Did you notice this? If so, where?

Any info would be helpful. Thank you.

No trolling or junk posting in this thread, please.
    Despite growing up in Ventura County, I have also never visited the Channel Islands. I have gone on fishing boats that have gotten close to the islands and I don’t recall the water being particularly choppy.

I do know some of the islands are off limits. The ones
    You can visit are solely for camping and hiking. It is pure nature. There are no shops or restaurants or really any services at all. You must bring all your own gear, food, water, etc.

Load Metric

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Want to go scuba diving there.

Load Metric
    i almost threw up on the catalina shuttle seasickness is the new slavery also we just got a swipe at skatz sonatine is literally 58 years old

Thread Information