Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Luka hates Haralabob

Platinum
    Load Metric
    the plot thickens...donnie nelson out as GM...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...sons-franchise

Longtime Dallas Mavericks president of basketball operations and general manager Donnie Nelson is out after 24 seasons with the franchise, the team announced Wednesday.

Nelson's departure comes after internal friction due to the increasing decision-making influence of Mavericks director of quantitative research and development Haralabos Voulgaris, sources told ESPN.

Voulgaris, a former professional gambler hired by the Mavs in 2018, has reported directly to owner Mark Cuban and communicated directly with coach Rick Carlisle despite Nelson's objections, sources said.

The decision for Nelson to leave the franchise was made Sunday, sources said.

Nelson, 58, worked for the Mavericks for 24 seasons, serving as an assistant general manager and assistant coach before being promoted to president of basketball operations. He remained Cuban's top basketball executive for years after the acrimonious departure of his father, Don, the Mavs' head coach and general manager from 1997 to 2005.

"I just want to thank Donnie for his 24 years of service to this organization," Cuban said in the team's statement. "Donnie has been instrumental to our success and helped bring a championship to Dallas. His hard work, creativity and vision made him a pioneer. Donnie will always be a part of the Mavs family and I wish him all the best."

Donnie Nelson has been widely credited for scouting and pushing for the two biggest acquisitions in Mavericks history: the draft-day trades for Dirk Nowitzki and Luka Doncic 20 years apart.

Nelson had strong ties to Europe before joining the Mavs. Those paid off almost immediately with Nowitzki, who was a teenager when Nelson started following him in Germany. Dallas had the sixth pick in 1998 and drafted Robert Traylor for Milwaukee, which had the ninth choice and took the 19-year-old Nowitzki for the Mavericks.

After a rough rookie year and missing the playoffs again his second season, Nowitzki led Dallas to the postseason 12 straight years. The Mavericks lost to Dwyane Wade and Miami in the 2006 NBA Finals before beating LeBron James, Wade and the Heat five years later.

Two decades after targeting Nowitzki, Nelson had Doncic at the top of the Dallas draft board when the rebuilding Mavericks ended up lower than hoped in the lottery with the fifth pick. Figuring that wasn't high enough, the club worked a trade with the Atlanta Hawks, who wanted Trae Young after his sensational freshman season at Oklahoma. Doncic had just helped Real Madrid win the European championship.

Nowitzki and Doncic played together one season before Nowitzki retired. Doncic, 22, has twice been an All-Star and first-team All-NBA selection since then. He is eligible to sign an extension expected to be worth slightly more than $200 million, and strongly suggested he would do so after the Mavs lost to the LA Clippers in the first round of the playoffs for the second consecutive year.

A source said the Mavericks have hired Mike Forde's Sportsology, a consulting firm frequently used by teams hiring general managers, to assist in the search for a new head of basketball operations.

Load Metric
    Ironic that the guy who doesn't like the quants is also a guy whose entire career is a result of nepotism.

Gold
    Load Metric
    I would also not stand for some numbers dweeb telling me how to ball

Load Metric
    Overall here's my take on how this played out, I could be way off.

Cuban is one of the most active owners in the NBA. Probably the closest to pulling a Jerry Jones and naming himself GM if he didn't have other interests. But I'm gonna say that Cuban is probably VERY hands-on in personnel decisions. Who is a good GM in this scenario? A guy who is just lucky to be there. Say, a guy whose first line on his resume probably says "My daddy was a great coach." Thats a guy who will do all the bitch work but not get too pushy with his own opinions.

Now a guy who is actually smart is in there and swaying the owner. Of course the GM is gonna be upset. Going scorched-earth like he did? Odd choice but I suppose he just said "fuck it, don't care anymore."

I also doubt Luka has any real strong opinion about Bob in any way.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

Longtime Dallas Mavericks president of basketball operations and general manager Donnie Nelson is out after 24 seasons with the franchise, the team announced Wednesday.

Nelson's departure comes after internal friction due to the increasing decision-making influence of Mavericks director of quantitative research and development Haralabos Voulgaris, sources told ESPN.

Voulgaris, a former professional gambler hired by the Mavs in 2018, has reported directly to owner Mark Cuban and communicated directly with coach Rick Carlisle despite Nelson's objections, sources said.

Nelson, 58, worked for the Mavericks for 24 seasons, serving as an assistant general manager and assistant coach before being promoted to president of basketball operations. He remained Cuban's top basketball executive for years after the acrimonious departure of his father, Don, the Mavs' head coach and general manager from 1997 to 2005.

"I just want to thank Donnie for his 24 years of service to this organization," Cuban said in the team's statement. "Donnie has been instrumental to our success and helped bring a championship to Dallas. His hard work, creativity and vision made him a pioneer. Donnie will always be a part of the Mavs family and I wish him all the best."

Donnie Nelson has been widely credited for scouting and pushing for the two biggest acquisitions in Mavericks history: the draft-day trades for Dirk Nowitzki and Luka Doncic 20 years apart.

Nelson had strong ties to Europe before joining the Mavs. Those paid off almost immediately with Nowitzki, who was a teenager when Nelson started following him in Germany. Dallas had the sixth pick in 1998 and drafted Robert Traylor for Milwaukee, which had the ninth choice and took the 19-year-old Nowitzki for the Mavericks.

After a rough rookie year and missing the playoffs again his second season, Nowitzki led Dallas to the postseason 12 straight years. The Mavericks lost to Dwyane Wade and Miami in the 2006 NBA Finals before beating LeBron James, Wade and the Heat five years later.

Two decades after targeting Nowitzki, Nelson had Doncic at the top of the Dallas draft board when the rebuilding Mavericks ended up lower than hoped in the lottery with the fifth pick. Figuring that wasn't high enough, the club worked a trade with the Atlanta Hawks, who wanted Trae Young after his sensational freshman season at Oklahoma. Doncic had just helped Real Madrid win the European championship.

Nowitzki and Doncic played together one season before Nowitzki retired. Doncic, 22, has twice been an All-Star and first-team All-NBA selection since then. He is eligible to sign an extension expected to be worth slightly more than $200 million, and strongly suggested he would do so after the Mavs lost to the LA Clippers in the first round of the playoffs for the second consecutive year.

A source said the Mavericks have hired Mike Forde's Sportsology, a consulting firm frequently used by teams hiring general managers, to assist in the search for a new head of basketball operations.
    JFC what the fuck is Cuban thinking. What kinda of bullshit spell does Bob have on Him. This is insanity. I get Cuban is a renegade but he likely just pissed off his star player with this happening. Luka might just change his mind about staying after this. I sure as shit would when ya get rid of the GM and somehow put Godlike trust in a guy who’s a gambler and thinks he’s a GM. Again this is a disaster waiting to happen and may already be in progress

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

JFC what the fuck is Cuban thinking. What kinda of bullshit spell does Bob have on Him. This is insanity. I get Cuban is a renegade but he likely just pissed off his star player with this happening. Luka might just change his mind about staying after this. I sure as shit would when ya get rid of the GM and somehow put Godlike trust in a guy who’s a gambler and thinks he’s a GM. Again this is a disaster waiting to happen and may already be in progress
    He's is a bitcoin billionaire (there are a few from poker), which probably puts a whole different spin on what's happening. All the defi/crypto stuff Cuban talks about comes from Bob. Probably a lot of the seed investments into crypto too (not sure about this).

I think the Mavs should just make him the GM and give him all the power - clearly these legacy ways of running a team, (i.e hiring a company to help find a GM wtf) kind of suck and don't make a lot of sense from the outside.

Is Bob the smartest guy in the room? Doubtful but he's probably never worse than 2nd richest. He has a contrarian way of looking at things and has galaxy brain type guys whom work behind the scenes.

Making him GM can't possibly make the Mavs worse, IMO. Sounds like a great story and might have a happy ending for Dallas fans. This guy that got fired - how bad did he want to win? He worked there a long time with marginal results. Sounds like Bob wants to win pretty fucking bad. I think you guys are looking at this all wrong and the Athletic article sounds like a hit piece.

Load Metric
    LOL Haralabos blowing up the Mavs.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    And now Coach Carlisle is gone. JFC Cuban needs to get off his knees and stop sucking bobs cock so much. Cuban trying to play GM is one thing who the hell is gonna coach him too. This is going to go bad quick. The dumpster fire is already smoldering.

Load Metric
    Look the Dallas Mavericks suck!!!

It's going to be a long time until they win another NBA championship.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    LOL Haralabos blowing up the Mavs.
    Is Haralabob popular in China?

Silver
    Load Metric
    And now Coach Carlisle is gone. JFC Cuban needs to get off his knees and stop sucking bobs cock so much. Cuban trying to play GM is one thing who the hell is gonna coach him too. This is going to go bad quick. The dumpster fire is already smoldering.
    I still think it's the other way around - all these legacy do-nothings in the franchise blew it up.

Pretty sure HV is out also - he changed his twitter handle.

I'd take HV and his quants over the ancient way teams are run and built any day. Owning a team is a license to steal anyway - the Ws and Ls are a meaningless formality to most.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I still think it's the other way around - all these legacy do-nothings in the franchise blew it up.

I'd take HV and his quants over the ancient way teams are run and built any day. Owning a team is a license to steal anyway - the Ws and Ls are a meaningless formality to most.
    Great catch. By "Twitter handle", you mean his Twitter description, right? But yeah, I see it just says "*Crypto* Head Collector", and nothing about the Mavs.

Hmmm

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Great catch. By "Twitter handle", you mean his Twitter description, right? But yeah, I see it just says "*Crypto* Head Collector", and nothing about the Mavs.

Hmmm
    Ya that's what I meant. More likely he's just laying low until it all blows over. Doesn't make sense all 3 dudes would quit if the 1 dude - the problem - also quit.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Hmmm
    Ya that's what I meant. More likely he's just laying low until it all blows over. Doesn't make sense all 3 dudes would quit if the 1 dude - the problem - also quit.
    Well, actually I could see it.

Nelson was fired.

Carlisle quit because Luka didn't like him, and it was going to happen soon enough anyway. Plus Carlisle has plenty of options elsewhere.

I could see Cuban finally dumping Haralabob as a final move, as a signal to Luka that they're going to move forward, and build around him.

Load Metric

Nelson was fired.

Carlisle quit because Luka didn't like him, and it was going to happen soon enough anyway. Plus Carlisle has plenty of options elsewhere.

I could see Cuban finally dumping Haralabob as a final move, as a signal to Luka that they're going to move forward, and build around him.
    It's bizarre that he hasn't; I'm sure Haralabos does good work but surely he'll get fired or at best reassigned to keep Luka satisfied - or the Bob reporting was a straight hit piece and Luka doesn't care.

If Cuban is willing to part with a longtime coach and GM, surely Bob is out if Luka wants it.

The Dallas offense could not have been better tailored for Luka. He's already behaving like a LeBron with zero accolades.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Nelson was fired.

It's bizarre that he hasn't; I'm sure Haralabos does good work but surely he'll get fired or at best reassigned to keep Luka satisfied - or the Bob reporting was a straight hit piece and Luka doesn't care.

If Cuban is willing to part with a longtime coach and GM, surely Bob is out if Luka wants it.

The Dallas offense could not have been better tailored for Luka. He's already behaving like a LeBron with zero accolades.
    HV a wizard and talking people into doing shit. GOAT-level ninja stuff.

I'd be surprised if he gets fired even though everyone seems to hate him and also all 3 people leaving make zero sense and we know 2 of them are gone.

My guess is he gets a promotion

Load Metric
    Jason Kidd being brought in to coach apparently

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...mpression=true

Load Metric
    Luca Doncic is a young and very big superstar in the NBA now, he will get what he want's imo

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/06/27...mpression=true

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Luca Doncic is a young and very big superstar in the NBA now, he will get what he want's imo

Jason Kidd isn’t the type to take primadonna type bullshit from Luka.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post

Jason Kidd isn’t the type to take primadonna type bullshit from Luka.
    Yeah, that’s not how it works now.

I miss the 90’s too

Thread Information