Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Luka hates Haralabob

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Looks like they’re hiring Nico Harrison as GM, shocking to me. I know most of you haven’t heard of him but I knew him a little bit back In the day. Used to play some pickup games with him, he was on the Montana State Bobcats basketball team.

Load Metric
    Bob talks! ESPN Daily Podcast w Pablo Torre.

Available in all the podcast places.

https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/ESP...=ESP8898538614

"Bob Voulgaris turned his career as a professional, data-driven NBA bettor into a team job when Mark Cuban made him Director of Quantitative Research and Analysis for the Dallas Mavericks. But tension built between Voulgaris and then-GM Donnie Nelson, and relationships with players got muddy. Reports in The Athletic this year claimed the former bettor was running the show behind the scenes in Dallas, and today the GM, coach and Voulgaris are no longer with the team. Now, Voulgaris sits down for his first interview since he left the Mavs."

Comments

Sheesfaced:

Sanlmar: Rasputin & I are huge Haralabob fans. Thx.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Bob talks! ESPN Daily Podcast w Pablo Torre.

Available in all the podcast places.

https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/ESP...=ESP8898538614

"Bob Voulgaris turned his career as a professional, data-driven NBA bettor into a team job when Mark Cuban made him Director of Quantitative Research and Analysis for the Dallas Mavericks. But tension built between Voulgaris and then-GM Donnie Nelson, and relationships with players got muddy. Reports in The Athletic this year claimed the former bettor was running the show behind the scenes in Dallas, and today the GM, coach and Voulgaris are no longer with the team. Now, Voulgaris sits down for his first interview since he left the Mavs."
    Remains a weird story; how many other NBA quants are even known? I suppose Bob came in with a bit of a name but really only to diehards.

Luka may have hated him but Mavs lineups were definitely tailored 100% to his strengths. If they play the same I'll soon get sick of watching them like I did the James Harden Rockets but the efficiency is undeniable.

Going from quant heavy Bob influenced teams to old school Jason Kidd, who somehow keeps getting jobs despite being perceived as a moron, will be interesting. Capitulating to a player even one as good as Luka isn't great.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    I was watching his twitter, interestingly he had mentioned a few months ago he couldn't say anything yet, because they didn't let him quit? He had to ride out his contract, which seemed odd to me.

I'm surprised he did this show first and not Bill Simmons.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Overall here's my take on how this played out, I could be way off.

Cuban is one of the most active owners in the NBA. Probably the closest to pulling a Jerry Jones and naming himself GM if he didn't have other interests. But I'm gonna say that Cuban is probably VERY hands-on in personnel decisions. Who is a good GM in this scenario? A guy who is just lucky to be there. Say, a guy whose first line on his resume probably says "My daddy was a great coach." Thats a guy who will do all the bitch work but not get too pushy with his own opinions.

Now a guy who is actually smart is in there and swaying the owner. Of course the GM is gonna be upset. Going scorched-earth like he did? Odd choice but I suppose he just said "fuck it, don't care anymore."

I also doubt Luka has any real strong opinion about Bob in any way.
    I feel like this was correct.

Comments

Sheesfaced: Was a good take

Load Metric
    Listened to pod, Bob is god. Claims to have made hundreds of millions betting on the NBA over 15 years, a far higher figure than I would have imagined.

Being around a brilliant aspie probably sucks after about 5 minutes. Not hard to see why everyone hated him.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Listened to pod, Bob is god. Claims to have made hundreds of millions betting on the NBA over 15 years, a far higher figure than I would have imagined.

Being around a brilliant aspie probably sucks after about 5 minutes. Not hard to see why everyone hated him.
    Spec home built in Monte Carlo? I think he did fine.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Crazy thing is he pretty clearly made more than that on crypto. Did you catch the line where he casually said he’s more like to buy an NBA team than to work for one again? Really wish the interviewer asked him a follow up question about that.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post

Crazy thing is he pretty clearly made more than that on crypto. Did you catch the line where he casually said he’s more like to buy an NBA team than to work for one again? Really wish the interviewer asked him a follow up question about that.
    He's made hundreds of millions on crypto?

I thought his comment on owning a team was tongue in cheek; on second thought maybe not?

Think 'the gambler' label would prevent this from happening, but who knows.

Load Metric
    And the morale of the story. Just because you can prop bet games and have success in fantasy sports betting doesn’t mean you can be a fucking GM in the real world. Cuban is moron for allowing this to happen… I realize he’s a renegade and maverick type but like every other owner who thinks he knows more he learns once again. Own your toy and enjoy your toy but don’t PLAY with your toy when you don’t know how to do so. The pro sports graveyard of owners is littered with guys like him, Jerah Jones, Dan Snyder, and yes I suspect Robert Sarver of the Suns maybe a zombie of the graveyard but this whole BS not signing Ayton to a max contract when lesser guys got theirs this summer is embarrassing. Oh yeah and let’s not forget the failures of a certain Yankee and his partial ownership in Miami and shitting the bed like nobodies business (plus of course the primary owner but the guy eating a shit sandwich with his failures is clearly #2 Derek Jeter)

Gold
    Load Metric
    Listened to pod, Bob is god. Claims to have made hundreds of millions betting on the NBA and taking action from degenerate poker players like Erik Lindgren over 15 years, a far higher figure than I would have imagined.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Also, as long as we are doing Mavs talk, Luka looks real fat. So much for the narrative that last year the season snuck up on him and he didn't have time to get in shape. Looks like coming into the season fat and working himself into shape is just going to be his MO (for now at least, he is still very young)

Gold
    Load Metric
    I was watching his twitter, interestingly he had mentioned a few months ago he couldn't say anything yet, because they didn't let him quit? He had to ride out his contract, which seemed odd to me.

I'm surprised he did this show first and not Bill Simmons.
    Maybe Simmons is worried about burning some bridges (ie Cuban) if he has Haralobob on and Haralobob dishes the wrong dirt. Since Rusillo joined and things have thawed with ESPN Simmons has finally started to have some good guests after having no one but Joe House who would be willing to talk to him about basketball, and he probably doesn't want to go back to that.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    And the morale of the story. Just because you can prop bet games and have success in fantasy sports betting doesn’t mean you can be a fucking GM in the real world. Cuban is moron for allowing this to happen… I realize he’s a renegade and maverick type but like every other owner who thinks he knows more he learns once again. Own your toy and enjoy your toy but don’t PLAY with your toy when you don’t know how to do so. The pro sports graveyard of owners is littered with guys like him, Jerah Jones, Dan Snyder, and yes I suspect Robert Sarver of the Suns maybe a zombie of the graveyard but this whole BS not signing Ayton to a max contract when lesser guys got theirs this summer is embarrassing. Oh yeah and let’s not forget the failures of a certain Yankee and his partial ownership in Miami and shitting the bed like nobodies business (plus of course the primary owner but the guy eating a shit sandwich with his failures is clearly #2 Derek Jeter)
    LOL

If I woke up tomorrow rich and owning an NBA team, i would take Bob as my GM over a Donnie Nelson type.

Comments

Sheesfaced: 100%

Silver
    Load Metric
    He is one of several crypto billionaires from poker.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    LOL

If I woke up tomorrow rich and owning an NBA team, i would take Bob as my GM over a Donnie Nelson type.
    Definitely, he's brilliant. Just would need a staff to handle the relational aspects with fellow GM's.

He went pretty scorched earth in that interview, seems like -EV if he ever wants another front office job.

Load Metric
    Bob and Bill. Available at all the podcast places.

[The Bill Simmons Podcast] The Perfect Luka Team, Panic-Trade Candidates, Chicago’s Ceiling, and Crypto Myths With Haralabos Voulgaris #theBillSimmonsPodcast
    https://podcastaddict.com/episode/131751153

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Bob and Bill. Available at all the podcast places.

[The Bill Simmons Podcast] The Perfect Luka Team, Panic-Trade Candidates, Chicago’s Ceiling, and Crypto Myths With Haralabos Voulgaris #theBillSimmonsPodcast
    https://podcastaddict.com/episode/131751153
    He was always my favorite guest; pre-Mavs job he would pull no punches with opinions unlike basically everyone else who talks about hoops.

Gold
    Load Metric
    I am about 2/3 through the pod. Pretty good. One point Haralobob made that isn't something that I (or Bill apparently) really ever thought about is that he is pretty confident that the good 3 point shooting in the bubble and last year was due to empty arenas, and the relatively poorer 3 point shooting this year is reversion to the norm.

Comments

Sheesfaced: Nice. Looking forward to listening

Platinum
    Load Metric

You’ve posted here for almost 10 years….let alone 5 minutes.

Thread Information