Thread: Help from the Financial Gurus

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Help from the Financial Gurus

Found some stock certificates from the late 70’s.

Government Services Savings & Loan,Inc
    Cusip 383748 10 0

They all have the proper persons name and info on them. They are not stamped or transfer filled out.

From the little research I’ve done they were acquired by Chevy Chase bank in the 80’s and Chevy was acquired by Capital One around 2003.

The cusip comes up blank and my broker googled the same think I did.

What’s the next step? Any value?

Load Metric
    throw them in the trash

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    throw them in the trash
    Why?

Silver
    Load Metric
    First thing I’d do is contact the capital one stock transfer agent (looks like is computershare) and explain the situation and go from there. Going to have to work backwards and it’s going to be a pain.

It’s also possible the shares got escheated to the state the stockholder was living in at some point so that could be another avenue to pursue. But the bad thing about that is the state would’ve then sold the stock so any future appreciation, stock splits, dividends, acquisition pay-outs, spin-offs etc would be lost but would still be entitled to proceeds from sale. Given the time frame that’s probably less likely I’d think but not sure honestly. The way to pursue that is by checking the states unclaimed property site under the name and info of the shareholder. Some sites and services offer to do this for you for 10% cut which is a rippof as it’s easy enough to do on your own

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post
    First thing I’d do is contact the capital one stock transfer agent (looks like is computershare) and explain the situation and go from there. Going to have to work backwards and it’s going to be a pain.

It’s also possible the shares got escheated to the state the stockholder was living in at some point so that could be another avenue to pursue. But the bad thing about that is the state would’ve then sold the stock so any future appreciation, stock splits, dividends, acquisition pay-outs, spin-offs etc would be lost but would still be entitled to proceeds from sale. Given the time frame that’s probably less likely I’d think but not sure honestly. The way to pursue that is by checking the states unclaimed property site under the name and info of the shareholder. Some sites and services offer to do this for you for 10% cut which is a rippof as it’s easy enough to do on your own
    Thanks, contacting CapOne tomorrow. I checked the state site and nothing is showing.

Load Metric
    The most likely thing that happened is that one of those companies decided to move to uncertificated shares at some point. They almost all have so they can be traded electronically.

The owner probably got a notification at some point and it was likely 20+ years ago. The owner may still own the shares and may have received shareholder meeting info for a while. If the owner never responded for a certain number of meetings in a row, there's probably a clause giving the company the right to vote those shares by proxy.

In addition to Computershare you can contact the company directly and ask for investor relations. They may be able to point you in the right direction. The owner may still own the shares or may have sold them and you didn't know about it.

I like old share certs and I have some dating back almost 100 years. Frame them or keep them in sheets in a binder.

Comments

snowtracks: 1st green rep

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Thread Information