Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Florida bans teaching Critical Race Theory in its schools

Load Metric
    Here is a video essay put together by a US college student of a Social Theory class that covered CRT. And judging from the glowing way this essay covers the topic in question, I think we can assume that CRT was positively portrayed in that course.

Comments

splitthis: Stfu
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Here’s another video essay by someone, possibly another college student, who appears to be an advocate of CRT.

To me, what is deeply troubling about how CRT is summarized in these two stills from the video:

Name:  04FB29A1-D401-4865-806E-3A0E97170011.png
Views: 260
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  A5B3D97C-5CCE-4DD9-850B-4C5B1D23DBD9.png
Views: 242
Size:  49.1 KB

Specifically, the notion that race matters in ALL cases decided by the court, and ALL laws in the US are biased against people of color. Not that “some” or “a lot of” cases are decided by race and biased against people of color, but “ALL”. These CRT notions GUARANTEE that the US is “fundamentally” racist in the minds of people who subscribe to CRT. Meaning, there is no hope of making the US not “fundamentally” racist. And no matter how much laws might be reformed to address the eliminate implicit racism or correct the persistent effects of historically racist laws, such as redlining and job descrimination, the US will continue to be a “fundamentally” racist nation.

So, really, why should “White” folks support making any of those reforms other to than to feel good about doing so? Because it won’t materially eliminate any of our “White privilege”, or assauge us from our “White guilt”.

Please, someone tell me how I’m wrong here about CRT and how there is a happy ending re eliminating racism based on following the CRT creed. Please. Anyone?
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Meanwhile, my original claim in this thread that the moral panic over the “teaching of CRT in our K-12 schools”
    by conservatives is a ploy to stir up controversy still has merit because it is being used to try to shut down the teaching in K-12 schools the history of actual and ugly racism in the US versus the a friendly-to-Neo-Confederate sanitized version that outright ignores it.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...r-of-the-year/

Also, while I’m grateful for this controversy being raised, as it has spurred me on to learn much about CRT that is truly disturbing to me, the principal actor in recently raising this issue, Christopher Rufo, is utterly disingenuous when confronted with the question of whether or not he is likely to benefit from being seen as a White person when potentially racially profiled, such as by a racist police officer or store clerk. To see this, go to the end of this video of him being interviewed.

Load Metric
    Looks like Joe Biden chanced across my criticism of CRT-motivated training in our public K-12 schools in this thread.

Biden admin walks back ties to group pushing critical race theory in schools
    'It was an error' to promote the critical race theory handbook said Biden's Department of Education
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...al-race-theory

Load Metric
    I’ve got a history degree, so I’m pretty well versed on all the schools of thought. The main problem with CRT is that it is result oriented, but it’s being attacked for the subject matter it addresses, and not on the intellectual merits. The right wants to teach “American Exceptionalism” in schools, which is even worse jingoistic horseshit.

It’s just one way at looking at history. Karl Marx got a lot of shit wrong, but he also brought up a bunch of uncomfortable truths that had to be addressed. No one can seriously say his contributions to political thought were unimportant.

The biggest threat from leftist historians? It’s the idea that “ideas and institutions”, as opposed to individuals, are the primary factors that have determined the course of human history. They want you to learn about the civil rights movement, but not Rosa Parks. You should study Greek philosophy, but not the trial of Socrates. And a Corsican peasant couldn’t possibly create modern Europe, study the French Revolution though.

Comments

country978: jayjami is always good read

Sanlmar: Jam packed with goodness
    Last edited by Jayjami; 10-18-2021 at 09:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Still big LOL @ anyone who thinks teaching controversial political opinion as fact is a wise move for public schools.

Load Metric
    Still big LOL @ anyone who thinks teaching controversial political opinion as fact is a wise move for public schools.
    We know, that’s why Texas requires presenting a fair and balanced view of the Holocaust.

Florida didn’t ban teaching CRT as fact. It banned discussing the theory at all. Lol at complaining about “cancel culture” on the left. The right is nothing but fascist cancel culture of any fact or person that makes them uncomfortable.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    We know, that’s why Texas requires presenting a fair and balanced view of the Holocaust.

Florida didn’t ban teaching CRT as fact. It banned discussing the theory at all. Lol at complaining about “cancel culture” on the left. The right is nothing but fascist cancel culture of any fact or person that makes them uncomfortable.
    How can they ban teaching it as fact?

It's a controversial opinion. Most teachers on the left. Doesn't take a genius to figure out what way it will be taught. Political opinion shouldn't be taught in public schools for exactly this reason.

There's no cancel culture here becuase nobody is being canceled. Florida just doesn't want political opinion taught in its public schools, and I agree.

If CRT was being taught in your public school district, what % chance do you think the average student would have of getting a neutral, unbiased view presented of it?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW, go back to April and read about what happened at a private school, where they were teaching CRT: https://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sh...in-our-schools

Any teacher who didn't go along with the "CRT is 100% correct" narrative was "coached" into submission.

Any student who didn't go along with that narrative was also "coached" into submission.

This was at a private school where parents paid a ton of money, and could vote with their feet and cost the school a lot. Imagine what will happen at public schools, where they won't have to give a shit what parents think.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    The right wants to teach “American Exceptionalism” in schools, which is even worse jingoistic horseshit.
    American Exceptionalism really does belong in “HISTORY” class.

Load Metric
    It’s just one way at looking at history. Karl Marx got a lot of shit wrong, but he also brought up a bunch of uncomfortable truths that had to be addressed. No one can seriously say his contributions to political thought were unimportant.
    Elon Musk’s ex-squeeze Grimes.

Name:  8C1A3BE0-EABF-4D0B-9999-CAAB1EA27B82.jpeg
Views: 171
Size:  773.0 KB

Load Metric
    Sanlmar stick to the betting threads before you get your shit packed in again fag

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    Sanlmar stick to the betting threads before you get your shit packed in again fag
    Ok fool. Biden is such a foreign policy genius/thread

Today in Russia Chinese war games. Russia and China hold joint naval drills in Sea of Japan.

American Exceptionalism. You have no idea what is coming.

Stick to Covid.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

How can they ban teaching it as fact?

It's a controversial opinion. Most teachers on the left. Doesn't take a genius to figure out what way it will be taught. Political opinion shouldn't be taught in public schools for exactly this reason.

There's no cancel culture here becuase nobody is being canceled. Florida just doesn't want political opinion taught in its public schools, and I agree.

If CRT was being taught in your public school district, what % chance do you think the average student would have of getting a neutral, unbiased view presented of it?
    They should be exposed to a range of opinions and discuss them.

We used to have debates in government class in school. Do they not teach civics anymore?

Comments

splitthis: That’s not what is being done dummy

Load Metric
    Not much, but if you want to isolate little Benjamin from all the bad ideas in the world, send him to private school. We were “forced” in our public high school to learn about Creationism in biology, even though it is a crackpot theory with no place in a science class. Nobody seemed too damaged by it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Not much, but if you want to isolate little Benjamin from all the bad ideas in the world, send him to private school. We were “forced” in our public high school to learn about Creationism in biology, even though it is a crackpot theory with no place in a science class. Nobody seemed too damaged by it.
    So you're saying we should bring creationism teaching back to public schools?

Interesting...

Load Metric
    BTW, go back to April and read about what happened at a private school, where they were teaching CRT: https://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sh...in-our-schools

Any teacher who didn't go along with the "CRT is 100% correct" narrative was "coached" into submission.

Any student who didn't go along with that narrative was also "coached" into submission.

This was at a private school where parents paid a ton of money, and could vote with their feet and cost the school a lot. Imagine what will happen at public schools, where they won't have to give a shit what parents think.
    Is this somehow different to private schools teaching creationism and taxpayers paying for it in the form of the voucher system?

Also didn't you make a thread about a specific county's public schools and how they should give a shit about a single parents wishes?

Gold
    Load Metric
    Most private schools are actually worse about pushing CRT down everyone's throat than public schools. Private schools are monitored by "school boards" dominated by far left ideologues that put a lot of pressure on private schools to push far left ideology to be accredited. An obvious option for Druff is Hebrew School, but Hebrew Schools in So Cal are super expensive, and I don't know how many there are around where Druff lives.

Load Metric
    The point of all this for politicians like DeSantis and Abbot is to virtue signal to their culture wars voters.

The point of all this for Fox News is to keep their viewers in a constant state of rage and fear to keep their ratings going.

The point of all this for the crazies who have taken over school boards is to turn schools into propaganda factories where students learn to take whatever the Republican Taliban wants them to believe as fact and never learn to think critically about anything.

None of them even knows what CRT is, much less cares.

/thread

Load Metric

So you're saying we should bring creationism teaching back to public schools?

Interesting...
    I don’t have a problem with it being taught. I’d just explain to my kid that it’s bullshit. Just like my dad did. We were also taught in grade school that Columbus was a hero, that didn’t turn out to be exactly true either. We got over it. When I have taught WWII, I always bring up the Holocaust deniers. It’s addressed and we move on.
    Last edited by Jayjami; 10-19-2021 at 07:49 AM.

Thread Information