Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida bans teaching Critical Race Theory in its schools

Load Metric
    In 100 years coastal Florida where most Floridians live will be underwater and Texas will be burnt to a crisp.

The northeast and midwest will see their losses reverse and the northwest will continue to gain. Those places will still be livable. Even the plains will see a bit of an uptick.

California is going to be somewhere in the middle. Contracted but not devastated.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    In 100 years coastal Florida where most Floridians live will be underwater and Texas will be burnt to a crisp.

The northeast and midwest will see their losses reverse and the northwest will continue to gain. Those places will still be livable. Even the plains will see a bit of an uptick.

California is going to be somewhere in the middle. Contracted but not devastated.
    okay Al gore

Load Metric

Yup, this is argument is way off topic. DeSantis tilted you too.

Comments

dwai: every time

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Load Metric

ok and im not big into real actual long-term bets like such but...

you're so wrong here I want your money. Its easy money here too, but I dont want to wait the years for it. You're fundamentally a moron, thinking with this actual logic. Florida is paradise bud, come join us ;-)....

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post

ok and im not big into real actual long-term bets like such but...

you're so wrong here I want your money. Its easy money here too, but I dont want to wait the years for it. You're fundamentally a moron, thinking with this actual logic. Florida is paradise bud, come join us ;-)....

You don't know the difference between then and than and you're calling others morons? You're stupid and you will not shake that until you die

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    This is the correct move. I know the blue states will never follow suit, but there's hope that other red states will also ban it.

Critical Race Theory is not merely the teaching of the history of racism in America. That's obviously something which needs to be taught. Instead, it goes one step further, and teaches children that America is still very racist, and that racism is embedded in all of its systems to put minorities (especially black people) at a disadvantage.

Even if you agree with the conclusions of Critical Race Theory, it shouldn't be taught in public schools, as it's a controversial opinion, rather than fact. Similarly, I would not support the teaching of controversial right wing opinions in the public classroom. For example, I would not approve of teaching "abortion is the murder of the unborn" in public classrooms.

Unfortunately, a lot of people on the woke left feel that teaching Critical Race Theory is "necessary", and that indeed we should be teaching kids controversial left wing opinion as fact. We should not, and this should never have made it into schools in the first place.

Note that Critical Race Theory lessons never allow students to present an alternate point of view, or to argue against it. Instead, it's taught as dogma which must not be challenged, and attempting to do so will earn you a failing grade.
    Banning discussion of some theories in school to narrow the range of thought is very American.

This is no different than the SJW speech codes and woke censorship you complain about. It's just that you happen to agree with this one.

This isn't "banning the discussion" of a topic. It's banning the teaching of propaganda. If you look at the Critical Race Theory lessons which have been taught in US schools, there is no room allowed for open debate, discussion, or dissent.

The LESSON is that the US is systemically racist, specficially designed to oppress minorities, and that any lesser outcomes currently experienced by miniroty groups is attributable only to the system itself. The kids are not allowed to speak out against this, or to write essays challenging it. They are to parrot back this propaganda, or they fail the unit.

Controversial opinion shouldn't be taught in schools for exactly this reason. If the teacher is on one side, he/she will force their opinion upon all of the students, with consequence being a failed grade if the students don't walk the line. I'm fine with Benjamin being taught that there was once slavery in the US, that there were laws restricting black people from engaging in certain activities all the way through the 1960s, and that it has now been universally recognized that this was wrong and unjust. These views are accepted by almost everyone in society, so they're not controversial.

Once you get into political propaganda being taught, which is NOT universally accepted as fact, then you're venturing into indoctrination territory, and this has no place in our schools. Similarly, I would be upset if controversial right wing propaganda was taught as "fact", even if I agreed with it. This simply should not be the role of schools.

I also don't understand people's complaints about the "whitewashed version of history" taught in our generation. I remember being taught about slavery and the civil rights movement, and as well as the eventual voting rights for black people and women. All of this was framed as progress. When I was in high school, we were only a little more than 20 years removed from the civil rights movement of the '60s.

It's a myth that we were taught "white people were always the good guys" back when we were in school. Maybe this was true 70 years ago, but it definitely wasn't true in the '80s when I was in high school.

Comments

splitthis: Correct

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Banning discussion of some theories in school to narrow the range of thought is very American.

This is no different than the SJW speech codes and woke censorship you complain about. It's just that you happen to agree with this one.

This isn't "banning the discussion" of a topic. It's banning the teaching of propaganda. If you look at the Critical Race Theory lessons which have been taught in US schools, there is no room allowed for open debate, discussion, or dissent.

The LESSON is that the US is systemically racist, specficially designed to oppress minorities, and that any lesser outcomes currently experienced by miniroty groups is attributable only to the system itself. The kids are not allowed to speak out against this, or to write essays challenging it. They are to parrot back this propaganda, or they fail the unit.

Controversial opinion shouldn't be taught in schools for exactly this reason. If the teacher is on one side, he/she will force their opinion upon all of the students, with consequence being a failed grade if the students don't walk the line. I'm fine with Benjamin being taught that there was once slavery in the US, that there were laws restricting black people from engaging in certain activities all the way through the 1960s, and that it has now been universally recognized that this was wrong and unjust. These views are accepted by almost everyone in society, so they're not controversial.

Once you get into political propaganda being taught, which is NOT universally accepted as fact, then you're venturing into indoctrination territory, and this has no place in our schools. Similarly, I would be upset if controversial right wing propaganda was taught as "fact", even if I agreed with it. This simply should not be the role of schools.

I also don't understand people's complaints about the "whitewashed version of history" taught in our generation. I remember being taught about slavery and the civil rights movement, and as well as the eventual voting rights for black people and women. All of this was framed as progress. When I was in high school, we were only a little more than 20 years removed from the civil rights movement of the '60s.

It's a myth that we were taught "white people were always the good guys" back when we were in school. Maybe this was true 70 years ago, but it definitely wasn't true in the '80s when I was in high school.
    this was never correct. historians who agree with the winning side always have an audience

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

this was never correct. historians who agree with the winning side always have an audience
    What the fuck high school(80's) did you attend where race was ever discussed?
    Bullshit. Liar. Phony

Load Metric

What the fuck high school(80's) did you attend where race was ever discussed?
    Bullshit. Liar. Phony
    Unlike you Canadian Liberal (Blue) people LOL...

We Americans are actually Adaptable and opens-Source, kind of of like Ethereum actually LOL, anyway =)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post

Yup, this is argument is way off topic. DeSantis tilted you too.
    Daly posted a migration map. The implication was that people want to move to Florida and Texas because of policies like this. I was responding to that. How is that off topic? And how sad is it that someone resorts to calling posts out as being off topic? Can I fit one more rhetorical question into this reply?

Load Metric

If a theory is being taught as unquestionably true or false that is the problem, not the theory itself.

Controversial opinion shouldn't be taught in schools? Are you serious? School is where you learn to think critically, discuss and debate, evaluate the merits. A good teacher would give an assignment to prepare an argument for two (or more) sides of a question.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

If a theory is being taught as unquestionably true or false that is the problem, not the theory itself.

Controversial opinion shouldn't be taught in schools? Are you serious? School is where you learn to think critically, discuss and debate, evaluate the merits. A good teacher would give an assignment to prepare an argument for two (or more) sides of a question.

Load Metric

Let's take that statement and see how it applies to your opinion on guns. The Guns aren't the problem, it's the people that use them improperly. Yeah, that works for me. How 'bout you? I already know the answer, it won't because you libtards are intellectually dishonest.

Load Metric

Let's take that statement and see how it applies to your opinion on guns. The Guns aren't the problem, it's the people that use them improperly. Yeah, that works for me. How 'bout you? I already know the answer, it won't because you libtards are intellectually dishonest.
    Right because that's totally the same thing.

Load Metric

Right because that's totally the same thing.

You've been boxed in. Checkmate.

Load Metric
    I think it’s closer to banning/protecting the teaching of young Earth creationism, which is obviously 100% nonsense and yet protected in both public and private settings, yet pretty much every state that passes a law regarding this embraces that.

Don’t get me wrong, I think this critical race theory shit is inflammatory, and nonsense, but this reminds me of sharia law bans. Like that states most likely to enact legislation to ban it were never going to implement it. Particularly Florida. Curriculum is a little different in that what to teach is decided on state and district levels, but the places in Florida most likely to even think about it are largely Hispanic and all of them need state funding. It’s sound and fury signifying nothing and like the Sharia Bans, just pandering to the stupid. I looked around trying to find any Florida schools actually teaching it and couldn’t find any listed. Most of the articles suggest it’s not being taught. Plus I imagine a lot of the charter school protections drafted almost entirely by Republicans in the past would protect some all black charter school, which is about the only place I could see this take hold.

It’s good politics to address a non-existent problem where you govern and is highly popular, so Desantis definitely has his finger on the pulse of his party, but it’s basically equivalent to legislation prohibiting bringing your Sasquatch to school with you.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: also true
    Last edited by BCR; 06-13-2021 at 04:16 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I think it’s closer to banning/protecting the teaching of young Earth creationism, which is obviously 100% nonsense and yet protected in both public and private settings, yet pretty much every state that passes a law regarding this embraces that.

Don’t get me wrong, I think this critical race theory shit is inflammatory, and nonsense, but this reminds me of sharia law bans. Like that states most likely to enact legislation to ban it were never going to implement it. Particularly Florida. Curriculum is a little different in that what to teach is decided on state and district levels, but the places in Florida most likely to even think about it are largely Hispanic and all of them need state funding. It’s sound and fury signifying nothing and like the Sharia Bans, just pandering to the stupid. I looked around trying to find any Florida schools actually teaching it and couldn’t find any listed. Most of the articles suggest it’s not being taught. Plus I imagine a lot of the charter school protections drafted almost entirely by Republicans in the past would protect some all black charter school, which is about the only place I could see this take hold.

It’s good politics to address a non-existent problem where you govern and is highly popular, so Desantis definitely has his finger on the pulse of his party, but it’s basically equivalent to legislation prohibiting bringing your Sasquatch to school with you.
    I remember in 8th grade science we took like two whole weeks on evolution to ensure us that it was JUST A THEORY, we had some chaplain come in to debate the merits of dinosaurs and we had to write a massive paper comparing/contrasting intelligent design. One argument that I remember was 'they've been working on evolution in the lab and nothing has walked out the petri dish!

You would think Team Religiontard would have had the muscle to just squeeze it out but I suppose making evolution look ridiculous was just as good.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

I remember in 8th grade science we took like two whole weeks on evolution to ensure us that it was JUST A THEORY, we had some chaplain come in to debate the merits of dinosaurs and we had to write a massive paper comparing/contrasting intelligent design. One argument that I remember was 'they've been working on evolution in the lab and nothing has walked out the petri dish!

You would think Team Religiontard would have had the muscle to just squeeze it out but I suppose making evolution look ridiculous was just as good.
    it is just a theory though(one I happen to agree with) but we don't know for sure.

we do know that black people are the cause of black people's problems, not white people.

the best thing we did was enslave them, we taught them how to do things(certainly not be responsible for your own actions)

black people want to perpetually be victims while benefiting from black privilege.

Load Metric

typical faggy long winded BCR post

"Yeah I don't technically agree with this [deranged liberal policy], but check out those [crazy white Christians]/[anti-vaxxer]/[straight white men]/[white supremacists] over there"

MUH WHUDDACHUDDAABOUTTRUMPTHO?

Thread Information