Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **OFFICIAL Ballparks thread**

Load Metric

**OFFICIAL Ballparks thread**

Probably been done before but can't recall seeing it for years.

My dad and I hit up parks all over the midwest and east coast when I was a kid, with a yearly flying trip somewhere (Texas, Florida, California, etc.) to hit up a faraway one.

The Twins were always pretty shitty and my dad told me that the park (since demolished) sucked and wasn't worth the trip. Finally checked it off the list tonight:

Name:  20210612_210141.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  2.64 MB

Dodgers are the only notable one left for me to knock off.

Also have Oakland, Anaheim, Toronto, Kansas City to go.

Don't count new stadiums, so going to Candlestick when I was 8 and seeing Bonds own heads counts for the Giants.

Favorites:
    1.Wrigley Field
    2.Busch Stadium
    3.Coors Field
    4.Yankee Stadium

Least favorites:
    1.Old Milwaukie County stadium (Miller Park ok)
    2.Comiskey park (old and new)
    3. Veterans Stadium

The rest honestly don't have huge differentiation points.

Favorites?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Comments

WillieMcFML: Busch Stadium rep
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    new Twins stadium looks great
    Hi Lew!!!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    It was fine. Disappointing level of boos for the Astros tonight though.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Your dad was right about the Metrodome. Decent enough place to watch a football game, horrible for baseball. All the seats were designed with football in mind, so basically about 70% of the seats you had to constantly turn your neck to see home plate. Target Field is a huge improvement.

Ironically, although the Metrodome was one of the last of the 1970's "boring ass giant domed arenas", it was also one of the last ones that didn't bilk the taxpayers for every last cent, and actually made money for the state. Such a novel idea.

I'm not a stadium expert/tourist by any means, but even with that said about the Metrodome, it's not the worst that I ever saw a game in. That would be old Three Rivers Stadium. Could have been bad timing, as I was a kid and it was when they were actually good with Bonds, Bonilla, and etc....but my god that was a clusterfuck to get in/out of. One good thing about the Metrodome, it was downtown (lots of street parking if willing to walk) and the stadium itself literally blew you out the door.

Load Metric
    I was there for a trip to see Brett Favre as a vike vs the Packers on Monday night in '09, then insta-bought tix for the twins-tigers game 163 tiebreaker the next night. Great sports trip, will be hard to top.

Wound up being the 2nd-to-last Twins game ever in the dome, since they had 1 more playoff game while being swept by the yankees 3-0.

EDIT: felt deja vu typing that and I had posted this before, ironically also on a thread you had started a long time ago. Lol

https://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sh...u-ve-Seen-Live

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Your dad was right about the Metrodome. Decent enough place to watch a football game, horrible for baseball. All the seats were designed with football in mind, so basically about 70% of the seats you had to constantly turn your neck to see home plate. Target Field is a huge improvement.

Ironically, although the Metrodome was one of the last of the 1970's "boring ass giant domed arenas", it was also one of the last ones that didn't bilk the taxpayers for every last cent, and actually made money for the state. Such a novel idea.

I'm not a stadium expert/tourist by any means, but even with that said about the Metrodome, it's not the worst that I ever saw a game in. That would be old Three Rivers Stadium. Could have been bad timing, as I was a kid and it was when they were actually good with Bonds, Bonilla, and etc....but my god that was a clusterfuck to get in/out of. One good thing about the Metrodome, it was downtown (lots of street parking if willing to walk) and the stadium itself literally blew you out the door.
    Three Rivers was bad, too.

I went there around '93 or '94, so post-Bonds.

All I really remember was everything was painted yellow, but the day was fun. Hated Riverfront Stadium by contrast because it was hotter than hell.

Great American Ballpark years later was fine.

Lots of times the experience is situational.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    It was fine. Disappointing level of boos for the Astros tonight though.
    HUGE improvement over the metrodome

open air stadiums are the best
    Hi Lew!!!

Load Metric
    Seems like there are very few seats in the Twins' outfield.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Was watching that game last night goooo Astros.

But my kid wanted to go play home run derby at the little league field, so you gotta go when he wants to hang out.

Comments

dwai: dad rep

Load Metric

Three Rivers was worse for traffic as Pittsburgh is always a clusterfuck for anything traffic-related. The Indians at Municipal was just god awful. Would draw 5k in an 80k seat stadium and somehow you’d always end up behind a pole with an usher enforcing no movement rules. Just horrible.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I need to see more.

I've only seen games involving either the Dodgers or Angels. The stadiums where I've watched games: Dodger Stadium (the vast majority), Jack Murphy (former Padres), Chase Field (Diamondbacks), Anaheim Stadium (Angels).

I did take tours at Petco Park (new Padres) and Fenway.

Somehow I was able to wander into AT&T Park (Giants) in 2000 on an off-day, and roam around the place without a tour or paying any money to do so. That's no longer allowed. Earlier that year, I had a trip planned to see a Dodgers/Giants game at AT&T, but I got sick and cancelled the trip. Still haven't watched a game there.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I need to see more.

I've only seen games involving either the Dodgers or Angels. The stadiums where I've watched games: Dodger Stadium (the vast majority), Jack Murphy (former Padres), Chase Field (Diamondbacks), Anaheim Stadium (Angels).

Somehow I was able to wander into AT&T Park (Giants) in 2000 on an off-day, and roam around the place without a tour or paying any money to do so. That's no longer allowed. Earlier that year, I had a trip planned to see a Dodgers/Giants game at AT&T, but I got sick and cancelled the trip. Still haven't watched a game there.
    Fun quick trips if your son likes baseball.

Probably makes less sense for someone on the west coast to come cross country to like, Cincinnati though.

Load Metric
    Also, sloppy joe, you should probably just forget about Oakland. Shit stadium and probably will be in Vegas or Nashville soon.

Or maybe here (looooolz).

Load Metric
    Also, sloppy joe, you should probably just forget about Oakland. Shit stadium and probably will be in Vegas or Nashville soon.

Or maybe here (looooolz).
    Lol yes it's unlikely but that one also is a white whale as I don't think they were relevant to me before the moneyball shit.

Them and the Royals basically didn't exist for me, despite watching a fair amount of White Sox as well.

Load Metric
    Best trip of my life was a baseball road trip I took after college with 3 buddies. We left KC and drove to Chicago and did a Wrigley day game and a Cellular One night game. Then went to Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Old Yankee stadium (the reason for the whole trip), Philadelphia, Baltimore, Cincinnati, St Louis, then a KC game the last day. We planned and did spreadsheets and all kinds of planning for 6 months. We had off days in NYC and Philly. Hit lots of sites, drove a few overnights. It was a blast. We still reminisce over beers. We call it GART (great American Road Trip). There’s talks of GART 2 on the west coast but we all have kids in sports and shit at this point.....

Edit- same group of guys also done two weekend trips. Once was to Houston and Arlington. The other was to Minneapolis and Milwaukee.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Here is a unpopular take from a life long Redsox fan.

If they ever auctioned off the opportunity to implode Fenway park I’d put in a healthy sized bid. This is coming from someone who had season tickets for a decade.

Fenway park has the best seats in baseball for about 4,000 people. The other 36,000 it’s pure misery.

It’s fairly cliche to say this but I think it true, Camden Yards is the best stadium I’ve ever been too. They should have imploded that archaic green bag of shit and built a replica in the south end on the water when they had the chance like 15 years ago.

For what it’s worth the stadium in Miami is ok. The clevelander club in left field is a fun time, but none of it is really about the baseball.
    Last edited by Daly; 06-13-2021 at 06:19 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I need to see more.

It's a nice park and fun place to watch a game. Bring a jacket or hoodie because it can be chilly at night even in the middle of the summer especially when the wind is blowing. Get some garlic parmesan fries.

I've been to the parks in SF, Seattle, St. Louis, the old Metrodome, both in Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, the old Cincy, Boston, the old Yankee Stadium. I'd like to see Dodgers, Baltimore and Washington.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Only ever been to 2 parks in my life.

When I was a kid we lived in Arizona during the early years of the dbacks. My dad used to take me and my two brothers to games on Friday nights. I remember thinking how cool it was that they had a pool in the outfield seats.

The other is Fenway. Been countless times, and I have to say there is something surreal about walking in the place. Feels like stepping back in time. I’d have to imagine wrigley has the same kinda vibe.

New stadiums are cool I guess but when it comes to baseball I am a fan of the historic sites. Even as a lifelong Sox fan I was kinda bummed when the Yankees moved on to their new park.
    #ToddsPlan

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I actually love Dodgers Stadium and don't want to see it imploded or seriously modified.

Yes, it has some flaws (parking is a bitch, for one), but I really like the place. It definitely has a 1960s feel to it (the tiny "Club Level" is a perfect example), but I find that it's the perfect hybrid between antiquated and too modern.

Load Metric
    I've been to many over the years and was just in Chicago for the first time and didn't get to Wrigley unfortunately.

Agree with others above how Fenway Park in Boston is different a bit. The Green Monster just has a different feel about it. And I really liked how on the tour, in the outfield they showed how the scoreboard was manual out there lol. Also 'The Red Seat' is neat there which is where Ted Williams hit the 502 feet HR, longest in Fenway history. SO Fenway is really neat actually, good Tour if you want to spend a day there. Visited Seattle last month and saw CentruyLink/TMobile field where the mariners play but i don't think i took a pic from TMobile field that I can post, only have one of CenturyLink field.

Stadiums or in my family going to NASCAR tracks was always something we did growing up over the years. I've been to many if i really though about it, but maybe 5-10 idk. Never really thought about it. Arizona was neat, brand new stadium. LA Dodgers field I only drop up to it and saw the Dodgers Stadium, it was way up on a hill, kinda weird I thought lol. Not very nice either, seemed dated and old as does Fenway actually but with that nostalgic charm of course.

Thread Information