Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The right-wingers like Druff are right... America does NOT have systemic racism!

Load Metric

The right-wingers like Druff are right... America does NOT have systemic racism!

Uhhh, actually, it does. Here’s a super disturbing example.

Black homeowner had a white friend stand in for third appraisal. Her home value doubled.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...on/5071223001/

INDIANAPOLIS – Carlette Duffy felt both vindicated and excited. Both relieved and angry.
    For months, she suspected she had been low-balled on two home appraisals because she's Black. She decided to put that suspicion to the test and asked a white family friend to stand in for her during an appraisal.

Her home's value suddenly shot up. A lot.

During the early months of the coronavirus pandemic last year, the first two appraisers who visited her home just west of downtown Indianapolis, valued it at $125,000 and $110,000, respectively.
    But that third appraisal went differently.

To get that one, Duffy, who is African American, communicated with the appraiser strictly via email, stripped her home of all signs of her racial and cultural identity and had the white husband of a friend stand in for her during the appraiser's visit.

The home's new value: $259,000.
    There’s a lot detail more in the article, including how the mortgage rates she was originally quoted by several banks were higher than typical market rates, with the excuse by banks being that she had requested credit applications too many times, which is going to of course happen when lenders are giving you a bullshit higher-than-average rate quote and you try to shop around for a fair rate.

Okay. Time now for Druff and the systemic-racism-denying conservotards on this forum to explain this away as being reasonable.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    black people don't even want to live near black people, see blm founder buying 1.4m mansion in 98% white neighborhood, or LeBron, or Oprah, none of them want to live near black people.

Comments

gut: good for thee but not for me

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I used to be an appraiser....I’d like to see the comps used by the different appraisers.

To be honest we almost always gave the homeowner the benefit of the doubt to get the loan/refinance done as long as the numbers were not out of whack...which they sometimes were.

Didn’t want to make lenders unhappy, if you did they wouldn’t use you anymore.

I assume she was refinancing and wanting to take money out?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Name:  7ABE5121-FCB8-4595-A2A5-709407EF735C.jpeg
Views: 288
Size:  148.1 KB

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Zillow estimates that house is worth $134k....algorithm must be racist.

House has been renovated from foreclosure in 2017...decent quality but house is small for the area.

I’d peg it more like $150k...but there is nothing for sale close by....so who knows.

Here it is before renovations...couldn’t upload the after pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Load Metric
    There is obviously a lot of missing info in the article, so I wouldn't rush to the "durrr, systemic racism" easy button that Mumbles did. What I took away from it was:

1. I'm no expert on the current Indianapolis housing market, but being that she bought the home in 2017 for $100k, 2020 appraisals of $110 and $125 seem more realistic than $259.

2. Speaking of the $259, they redact the info on who made that appraisal. Seems a little fishy.

3. Article has a throwaway mention to her sister, who I assume is also black, having recently had a normal appraisal, presumably first try. Maybe she's lighter skinned?

This article had a target, and Mumbles is example A of the reaction it wanted.

Comments

dwai: definitely aimed at idiots like Mumbles, bcr, gimmick, duped_by_smollett
    Last edited by gut; 05-16-2021 at 01:08 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    Zillow estimates that house is worth $134k....algorithm must be racist.

House has been renovated from foreclosure in 2017...decent quality but house is small for the area.

I’d peg it more like $150k...but there is nothing for sale close by....so who knows.

Here it is before renovations...couldn’t upload the after pic.
    You posted while I was typing, but that makes me feel like I was thinking along the right lines with the value.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    There is obviously a lot of missing info in the article, so I wouldn't rush to the "durrr, systemic racism" easy button that Mumbles did. What I took away from it was:

1. I'm no expert on the current Indianapolis housing market, but being that she bought the home in 2017 for $100k, 2020 appraisals of $110 and $125 seem more realistic than $259.

2. Speaking of the $259, they redact the info on who made that appraisal. Seems a little fishy.

3. Article has a throwaway mention to her sister, who I assume is also black, having recently had a normal appraisal, presumably first try. Maybe she's lighter skinned?

A lot missing as in what? The Brooking Institute study in 2018 found exactly what this article reveals.

Did you bother to look at that study?
    The valuation difference was more than double

Comments

Dan Druff: well put

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

A lot missing as in what? The Brooking Institute study in 2018 found exactly what this article reveals.

Did you bother to look at that study?
    The valuation difference was more than double
    1. simple math: 100, 110, 125, 259. Which number is the outlier?

2. The Brookings study is as much garbage as this article. It worked backwards from its designed result. Yeah, crime doesn't matter at all in home valuations right?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    That foreclosure was actually bought for $10k...fixed up and sold for $100k.

Nice!

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

Black homeowner had a white friend stand in for third appraisal. Her home value doubled.

INDIANAPOLIS – Carlette Duffy felt both vindicated and excited. Both relieved and angry.
    For months, she suspected she had been low-balled on two home appraisals because she's Black. She decided to put that suspicion to the test and asked a white family friend to stand in for her during an appraisal.

Her home's value suddenly shot up. A lot.

During the early months of the coronavirus pandemic last year, the first two appraisers who visited her home just west of downtown Indianapolis, valued it at $125,000 and $110,000, respectively.
    But that third appraisal went differently.

To get that one, Duffy, who is African American, communicated with the appraiser strictly via email, stripped her home of all signs of her racial and cultural identity and had the white husband of a friend stand in for her during the appraiser's visit.

The home's new value: $259,000.
    There’s a lot detail more in the article, including how the mortgage rates she was originally quoted by several banks were higher than typical market rates, with the excuse by banks being that she had requested credit applications too many times, which is going to of course happen when lenders are giving you a bullshit higher-than-average rate quote and you try to shop around for a fair rate.

Okay. Time now for Druff and the systemic-racism-denying conservotards on this forum to explain this away as being reasonable.
    Check out Mumbles getting his news from aol. This shit happened like a year ago. I kid but yeah this happens every damn day.

But you'd better off just pointing out how batshit crazy the difference in schools and hospitals are if you want to prove systemic racism.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    black people don't even want to live near black people, see blm founder buying 1.4m mansion in 98% white neighborhood, or LeBron, or Oprah, none of them want to live near black people.

Look at Dwaii projecting his bitchness on an entire race. Surprise surprise surprise.

Black people aren't scary, snowflake.

Comments

splitthis: Uninformed

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by rum dick View Post

Check out Mumbles getting his news from aol. This shit happened like a year ago. I kid but yeah this happens every damn day.

But you'd better off just pointing out how batshit crazy the difference in schools and hospitals are if you want to prove systemic racism.
    Explain how public schools are racist.

Explain how hospitals are racist.

The answer of, "They're better in the suburbs than the inner city" doesn't qualify. That's a matter of budgeting, funding, and supply/demand, and not systemic racism.

If you want to see an example of the reason schools actually suck, take a look at Los Angeles area school districts. Public schools in the LA district aren't good, even in expensive areas. Why? Because of a combination of busing and mismanagement by the giant LAUSD. The school districts in the outlying suburbs range between good and excellent. Why? Because there is no busing, and because the districts themselves are smaller and better managed.

If you bus in students who are violent, not interested in learning, and with little parental oversight, the district will go to shit.

I'm not even saying this from any racial point of view. This is true of any student you bus in with the above description, regardless of color. If you bring in too many problem students, the school will suck, no matter how much money you spend.

Didn't want to hijack the thread here, but it's sad to see rum dick has jumped on the Mubmles systemic racism train.

Comments

splitthis:

Load Metric
    Well Druff the ass schools and hospitals go to the people of color and the niceish ones go to the whites. The good ones go to the rich. I get that this a foreign concept to you considering you live in fantasy land. And really I have no right to bitch about it considering I live in fantasy land too. But where I grew up and everywhere I've lived besides fantasy island was and is still like that.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    One more comment about schools. I went to public schools my entire academic life. Never once set foot on a private campus, except to visit (unless you count preschool).

I had good teachers, I had okay teachers, I had shit teachers, just like in any public school. However, my school was in a small district where there were no gangs, most of the parents cared tremendously about their kids' academics, and kids got in big trouble at home if they got bad grades. The result? Not only were the classrooms a good environment for learning, but most of the kids tried hard, did their work, and performed well. This was true of students of every race. We didn't have many black or hispanic people in my high school, but the ones we had did just as well as the white kids, on average.

Was it a matter of funding? No. Due to it being a small district, and due to the jobs being coveted due to the nice and safe environment, teacher pay was actually LOWER than neighboring LAUSD. Funding per pupil was not particularly high, especially because proposition 13 prevented property tax increases according to escalating property values (which was correct, btw). It was a good school because of the students and parents -- not because of the teachers, administrators or budget.

You could have dropped the same group of kids in a dliapidated school and given us 1950s textbooks, and we would have learned just as much, provided that it was the exact same makeup of the student body.

At the same time, I always laughed at teachers and administrators taking credit for the high success rate for the school's students. Move those same teachers and administrators to an inner city school, with the same budget per pupil, and the average pupil performance would have been far worse. That's the reality. and anyone who went to public school knows it.

There is indeed an education quality gap between the suburbs and the inner city, but not for the reasons that the libs think.

Load Metric
    Yeah. Sorry your 5th grade teacher was mean to you but you don't have the experience to understand this subject.

Load Metric

black people are stupid and unhealthy

there I just explained it, there is no systemic racism

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post

black people are stupid and unhealthy

there I just explained it, there is no systemic racism
    Your turn Druff.

Comments

pagelpoker: that was funny

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah. Sorry your 5th grade teacher was mean to you but you don't have the experience to understand this subject.
    So being an actual public school student who observed the conditions in my school, and then observed the conditions in neighboring district schools (some of which my friends attended), doesn't give me "the experience"?

What does? Studying it in a highly biased collegiate environment where wrongthink on the matter isn't permitted?

Did you go to public high school?

Tell me where I'm incorrect with anything I said. Explain how there's systemic racism in the public school system.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    So being an actual public school student who observed the conditions in my school, and then observed the conditions in neighboring district schools (some of which my friends attended), doesn't give me "the experience"?

What does? Studying it in a highly biased collegiate environment where wrongthink on the matter isn't permitted?

Did you go to public high school?

Tell me where I'm incorrect with anything I said. Explain how there's systemic racism in the public school system.

Sure I went to public school. Mine was named after a Black person. Who was your public school named after?

Thread Information