Thread: European Football (soccer) Super League turns into tremendous fail, teams pulling out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric

European Football (soccer) Super League turns into tremendous fail, teams pulling out

I've always said that new owners of a company need to understand what people like about their product or service, or they end up ruining it.

This is occurring in European soccer, where the American owners' attempt to create a money-generating "Super League" has backfired tremendously, and turned into a gigantic fail.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...pe/7310165002/

The high-profile soccer teams Arsenal, Manchester United (Colonel Fabersham's favorite), and Liverpool are all owned by Americans, including Rams owner Stan Kroenke.

They created a "Super League" -- an in-season tournament where twelve high-profile teams automatically had a place. This has been roundly rejected, and it's rapidly falling apart.

It's now likely that Super League won't come to be, and in just two days, these American owners came to realize that their can't-lose, no-brainer idea was actually ill-advised. How do they not at least spend a little money on market research with things like this?

Pretty incredible blunder, and it's just bringing out more resentment that these teams are owned by Americans.

Load Metric
    This is the best explanation of why this was so hated I have seen.

Gold
    Load Metric
    I didn’t follow this story too much, but I love watching and betting the Champions League. Had a big score
    On Bayern winning last year, was fun to follow during the down time of early Corona! I prefer them keeping the CL together, Super League idea is “kind of” cool, nice to see top teams face off but also fun to see teams like Ajax and Lyon make a run in the CL, like Porto this year. It’s a good tournament no need to scree it up. I guess I didn’t realize how much Euros care about this, my goodness read a YouTube comment section on this they were up in arms!

Load Metric
    Pretty amazing how quickly and thoroughly this was universally shit on.

I've been visiting family and haven't followed closely, but listened to a pair of 'emergency' out of cycle pods about this.

It would eliminate the promotion/relegation nature of most leagues, where the bottom three gets relegated each year to the lower division and the top three from the lower division get bumped up. The twelve teams (six biggest English sides, three biggest Spanish sides, and three biggest Italian side) would have competed against one another in perpetuity.

FIFA and UEFA, both shitty corrupt orgs themselves, threatened to ban players on Super League teams from playing in the World Cup and booting current sides (including my favorite team, Chelsea) from the current Champions League.

One team, Arsenal, is owned by the same group that moved the Rams from Saint Louis to Los Angeles a few years back. They've been perpetually average (finishing 7th to 10th out of 20 teams for years now) and are decidedly not 'super'.

Absolutely epic fail that has already led to resignations, with massive calls for other heads. Many forget that these teams are like 100x bigger globally than most football/NBA teams.

I don't watch nearly as much as I used to, probably due for an avatar change, but a huge story and amazing that none of this was predictable to money hungry owners.
    Last edited by Sloppy Joe; 04-23-2021 at 01:07 PM.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    The main issue for me was the elimination of promotion/relegation. The opportunity to move from the 4th league and work your way up to playing in the Premier League is an important part of the game. And some of the best teams from a few decades ago no longer play in the Premier League. Something Americans in their closed leagues with no punishment for failure will never understand.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    The main issue for me was the elimination of promotion/relegation
    making it a closed shop meant idea was dead on arrival plus they are missing the point that playing the likes of madrid / barca / juve / etc every few seasons is what makes european football special
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    One team, Arsenal, is owned by the same group that moved the Rams from Saint Louis to Los Angeles a few years back. They've been perpetually average (finishing 7th to 10th out of 20 teams for years now) and are decidedly not 'super'.
    arsenal still a massive club and one of the most successful english clubs over the past few decades so can see why they would be invited, spurs on the other hand is just lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKDANIELS View Post
    arsenal still a massive club and one of the most successful english clubs over the past few decades so can see why they would be invited, spurs on the other hand is just lol
    Correct, Tottenham was the ridiculous one. Just a throw in.

But Kroenke Sports & Entertainment is probably the most flagrant example of an American conglomerate swooping in and killing a club. At least Liverpool and Manchester United spend money.

Here's Liverpool's (and the Red Sox) majority owner:

PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKDANIELS View Post
    Casual fan says Tottenham Hotspurs get in based on best team name. Just the opposite for Arsenal....

Thread Information