Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: European Football (soccer) Super League turns into tremendous fail, teams pulling out

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nutty007 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

great post...thanks for clarifying...havent been watching the CL for much more than a decade...knew PSG hadn't done much, but figured from a marketing standpoint with nemar and mbappe they'd have to be included as the member of the french delegation or the whole super league idea wouldn't fly...

let's face it...mericans came up and tried to fuck up the beauty that is european football because they aren't used to the whole idea of pay for performance (shocking given what this country is supposed to stand for) and relegation and just think that the hundreds of millions/billions are owed to them just because they own a team...
    No worries, PSG have a very good chance of winning the CL for the first time this year and you mentioned yourself the reasons why, they have Neymer and Mpabbe which is arguably the best two combination forwards in world football at present, they are still a little leaky in defence and now we are at the semi final stage who knows. The fact they are playing Manchester City in the semi finals you will probably see the best 2 teams play and either could win on their day.

With regards U.S football as a whole it has come on leaps and bounds and I wouldn't be surprised to see the U.S actually challenging for a World Cup by the year 2035-40. they have some really good players now playing in Europe for some of the biggest clubs and based on the increasing popularity and overall population I personally think it is just a matter of time.. They have never produced a real superstar ( although this was predicted with Freddy Adu but didnt work out ) but again I think in the next decade this will happen.
    after the absolute embarrassment of not qualifying for the world cup last time around it is definitely promising that we are seeing a nice chunk of our guys over in europe playing...seems like a lot of the time that i turn on the PL on NBCSN or the CL that there is an american playing...pulisic seems like the real deal as far as talent goes, only issue with him is being able to stay healthy...while the MLS is nice and all, i honestly dont know where the league as a whole and the better teams would even fit in in the english pyramid...i would like to think that the majority of the clubs would be competitive in the championship, but hell maybe it would be more like league 1...

Load Metric

No worries, PSG have a very good chance of winning the CL for the first time this year and you mentioned yourself the reasons why, they have Neymer and Mpabbe which is arguably the best two combination forwards in world football at present, they are still a little leaky in defence and now we are at the semi final stage who knows. The fact they are playing Manchester City in the semi finals you will probably see the best 2 teams play and either could win on their day.

With regards U.S football as a whole it has come on leaps and bounds and I wouldn't be surprised to see the U.S actually challenging for a World Cup by the year 2035-40. they have some really good players now playing in Europe for some of the biggest clubs and based on the increasing popularity and overall population I personally think it is just a matter of time.. They have never produced a real superstar ( although this was predicted with Freddy Adu but didnt work out ) but again I think in the next decade this will happen.
    after the absolute embarrassment of not qualifying for the world cup last time around it is definitely promising that we are seeing a nice chunk of our guys over in europe playing...seems like a lot of the time that i turn on the PL on NBCSN or the CL that there is an american playing...pulisic seems like the real deal as far as talent goes, only issue with him is being able to stay healthy...while the MLS is nice and all, i honestly dont know where the league as a whole and the better teams would even fit in in the english pyramid...i would like to think that the majority of the clubs would be competitive in the championship, but hell maybe it would be more like league 1...
    In my opinion, the MLS is something like lower half of Championship/top half of League 1.

In terms of US national team, the future looks really promising. Not just Pulisic, but Dest, Musah, Reyna, McKennie. But it's funnier for me if you fail to qualify again

Bronze
    Load Metric

I think MLS teams would be bottom half of Championship/ top of league 1 as I noticed Mr Tickle said. Pulisic really is a class player and I would suggest the best you currently have but he plays at a very competitive Chelsea team in a position where they have an abundance of quality players. I think on paper he is a first team player but has to remain at the top of his game to cement his position and he is a little injury prone.

Load Metric
    https://wwos.nine.com.au/football/su...0-c62d3bd145b2

"Real Madrid's president insists all 12 clubs that signed up for the ill-fated Super League are still bound by contract to launching the controversial breakaway of Europe's elite soccer teams.

In an interview with Spanish sports daily AS on Saturday, Madrid president Florentino Pérez said the clubs can't back out like some have announced.

"The fact is, the clubs can't leave," Pérez said. "Some, because of the pressure, have had to say they'll leave."

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Aus View Post

"Real Madrid's president insists all 12 clubs that signed up for the ill-fated Super League are still bound by contract to launching the controversial breakaway of Europe's elite soccer teams.

In an interview with Spanish sports daily AS on Saturday, Madrid president Florentino Pérez said the clubs can't back out like some have announced.

"The fact is, the clubs can't leave," Pérez said. "Some, because of the pressure, have had to say they'll leave."
    I know this has been said but really he is just a bitter old money grabbing corrupt man with an agenda

It is possible the compensation will be rewarded ( to whom I don't know ) but it will be nowhere near the amounts talked about .

He is being so dogmatic because Barca and Real Madrid always overspend to try and get the best each year and they have basically been found out and with the pandemic hurting, but again they have solutions, sell some players and spend less, very simple really !

This idea is finished ( at least for the time being ) and he is now scrambling, the only people who will be making money now are the lawyers. Without clubs from the PL this is a dead duck

Comments

Salty_Aus: Agree, even his players dislike him.

Load Metric

by rule, if perez says something, its bollocks

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post

It sounds like college football actually has a dynamic more similar to English soccer than any US professional sport. Teams never move location, rivalries are very important, lots of local flavor (less now that a lot of the flavor has been deemed "racist" and getting pushed out) and even mediocre teams can have very storied traditions and large and rabid fan followings (eg. Tennessee Volunteers have sucked for a long time and still draw an average of 90K fans for home games pre pandemic).
    Yes you are correct, I would suggest it is more akin to college football than professional. Football is a tribal/ cultural thing that is pretty much a rite of passage for most kids growing up that stays with you for life through the ups and downs. A typical match day may involve getting up early, going to the pub and off course lots of chanting and singing for your team and then celebrations or commiserations after the game also invariably at the pub. What you wont see is BBQ's set up with both sets of fans enjoying each others company , that just does not happen as the rivalry is often too strong, this rivalry also breaks out into the 'hooligan ' element which is also still quite strong in the UK with pretty much all teams having their 'hooligan element' many fans will talk about not just their club but their 'firm' like the ICF, Headhunters, MIG's, Away Day Raiders, Bushwackers etc etc which forms a sub culture within. The main distinction between the fans and the hooligan element is often clothing and attire with fans typically wearing 'colours' whereas hooligans dress in Stone Island, Aquascutum, Fred Perry etc etc. Anyway I digressed but the point i am making is that culture is also a huge factor.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric

Leave it to the Spanish to be a bunch of fascists.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Interesting fall out happening here in England

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56960091

There have been other protests by Arsenal and Chelsea but this is the most significant so far.

Thread Information