Thread: United Airlines issue, am I over reacting?

Load Metric

United Airlines issue, am I over reacting?

I flew to Mexico last year, I booked nonstop flights both ways on United airlines. Three weeks before my flight United changes my return flight to a flight with the layover and refused to compensate me because it was still within two hours of my original leaving time. I also had to leave an hour earlier.

Now,I leave for Mexico in 3 to 4 weeks. I got round-trip airfare to Cancun for $100 a person nonstop flights in November. United just changed my nonstop flight to a layover in Texas and the flight is now three hours longer.

I’m pissed because they keep changing my international flights three weeks before hand too much worse flights.

The only nonstop flight now leaves at 6 AM and my resort is two hours from Cancun so I will not take that flight.

Is there any kind of compensation I should ask for, My flight leaves at the same time as my nonstop flight it’s just the fact that I have a layover and it’s longer.

Load Metric
    So, United Airlines does this all the time. I remember a few years ago, I had a late flight out of Newark. I was already at the airport and they cancelled my flight and put me on a 6:30 am flight the next day. I found out after I was already through security. I had no place to stay the night. Had to stay in the terminal and the Amex lounge was closed for the night.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Drawingdead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    stay home, mask up, double mask, you selfish grandma killer, how dare you travel
    My grandma is already dead, so you better hide yours.
    lol

Yeah sounds pretty bait and switch.

100 bucks return? In what world?

I’ll let Druff take over from here..

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    planes do this to throw people off about the true shape of our planet

Comments

Drawingdead: My flat earth neighbor

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    airlines don't give a shit about customer service anymore.

a few years back i sat on the runway for 5 hours because one of the pilots couldn't fly because he had gone over his "x" amount of continuous hours or during a timespan that they measure.

my compensation was points towards another flight. no refund, no extra flight. it was just misery on packed flight with little air circulation. ty, american. never again
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

My grandma is already dead, so you better hide yours.
    lol

Yeah sounds pretty bait and switch.

100 bucks return? In what world?

I’ll let Druff take over from here..

No 100$ round trip. 50$ each way PP. I believe it was five or take 10-20$

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post
    So, United Airlines does this all the time. I remember a few years ago, I had a late flight out of Newark. I was already at the airport and they cancelled my flight and put me on a 6:30 am flight the next day. I found out after I was already through security. I had no place to stay the night. Had to stay in the terminal and the Amex lounge was closed for the night.
    That’s disappointing because I just got an offer for airfare to open their credit card, which I did. I just got the card spend. Offer is 3k get 80k miles worth like 900$ according to the points guy site.

I haven’t had any bad experiences on United other then this issue. I’ve flown them roughly 10x since 2020 may or June.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post

Serious question, when is trash pick up at your house?

I Just wanted to know when you’ll get picked up and stop posting shit on this site.
    cry more you old faggot
    Listen bro you can troll my post but I’m not going to send you Dick pics. Stop PMing me...also I’m 34, far from old pus
    Last edited by Drawingdead; 04-18-2021 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Fuck dwai

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    airlines don't give a shit about customer service anymore.

a few years back i sat on the runway for 5 hours because one of the pilots couldn't fly because he had gone over his "x" amount of continuous hours or during a timespan that they measure.

my compensation was points towards another flight. no refund, no extra flight. it was just misery on packed flight with little air circulation. ty, american. never again

I think the FAA passed a rule that passengers can no longer be stuck on a plane for longer then 3 or 4 hours. They have to inboard everyone if it’s going to be longer then that.

I had something similar,in 2008 on my way back from PR on a direct flight. We couldn’t land in ORD Chicago due to a thunderstorm. We circled the airport for two hours in the air, flew to Detroit refueled and sat at Detroit for 2 hours then flew back to Chicago. Worst flight of my life. This is before smart phones were as good as they are now and no TVs in the head rest on that plane.

After that flight I’ve always used seat guru to pick the best seats on flights I case there’s an issue I can be as comfortable as possible.

Load Metric
    Damn, I can't remember last time I flew United, but thats a shitty policy. I actually just had the reverse type situation happen with my upcoming Vegas trip with Spirit.

I take Spirit to Vegas from here as its the cheapest, by far....for me at least. 3 nights in Vegas I travel super light, a backpack that fits under the seat, so no extra bag charges or any of those things they like to get you on with their model. This time, I booked my flight about a month ago, the morning flight was like $40 more than the evening one, so even though I wasn't keen on arriving at 8:30pm, meh i'll take the discount.

3 weeks after booking though, I get an email that the flight had been backed up by an hour. I was surprised to see that they would then allow me to swap to the morning flight for no extra charge. Conveniently (for them) trying to do that on the website created a mysterious "error" so I had to call. Just 55 minutes of my phone on hold on speaker until I got the change. Well worth it for basically an extra day in town. I'm guessing their "cheapness" is hoping that people don't have the patience to call after not letting them do it online.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Damn, I can't remember last time I flew United, but thats a shitty policy. I actually just had the reverse type situation happen with my upcoming Vegas trip with Spirit.

I take Spirit to Vegas from here as its the cheapest, by far....for me at least. 3 nights in Vegas I travel super light, a backpack that fits under the seat, so no extra bag charges or any of those things they like to get you on with their model. This time, I booked my flight about a month ago, the morning flight was like $40 more than the evening one, so even though I wasn't keen on arriving at 8:30pm, meh i'll take the discount.

3 weeks after booking though, I get an email that the flight had been backed up by an hour. I was surprised to see that they would then allow me to swap to the morning flight for no extra charge. Conveniently (for them) trying to do that on the website created a mysterious "error" so I had to call. Just 55 minutes of my phone on hold on speaker until I got the change. Well worth it for basically an extra day in town. I'm guessing their "cheapness" is hoping that people don't have the patience to call after not letting them do it online.

I’ve flown them once and it was my last time, smallest seats I’ve ever been in and over the worst experience ever. Ironically I know a few people that only fly spirit because the fares are so cheap. I wish I could fly with o kh a backpack, I commend you sir lol. How long of a flight is it for you? It’s 4 hr from Chicago

Load Metric

I’ve flown them once and it was my last time, smallest seats I’ve ever been in and over the worst experience ever. Ironically I know a few people that only fly spirit because the fares are so cheap. I wish I could fly with o kh a backpack, I commend you sir lol. How long of a flight is it for you? It’s 4 hr from Chicago
    2hr15m from Portland. Pretty quick. I'm tall enough to where a long flight on there would be annoying, but I don't mind for that amount of time. I'm lucky that I can sleep easy on a plane also. Couple beers at the airport then nap it out during flight.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

2hr15m from Portland. Pretty quick. I'm tall enough to where a long flight on there would be annoying, but I don't mind for that amount of time. I'm lucky that I can sleep easy on a plane also. Couple beers at the airport then nap it out during flight.
    How tall are you? I've also read about the super-cramped seats. I won't fly budget airlines anyway, but the tiny legroom is a showstopper for a tall guy like me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

How tall are you? I've also read about the super-cramped seats. I won't fly budget airlines anyway, but the tiny legroom is a showstopper for a tall guy like me.
    I think similar to you. 6'2", 225ish pounds.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I flew to Mexico last year, I booked nonstop flights both ways on United airlines. Three weeks before my flight United changes my return flight to a flight with the layover and refused to compensate me because it was still within two hours of my original leaving time. I also had to leave an hour earlier.

Now,I leave for Mexico in 3 to 4 weeks. I got round-trip airfare to Cancun for $100 a person nonstop flights in November. United just changed my nonstop flight to a layover in Texas and the flight is now three hours longer.

I’m pissed because they keep changing my international flights three weeks before hand too much worse flights.

The only nonstop flight now leaves at 6 AM and my resort is two hours from Cancun so I will not take that flight.

Is there any kind of compensation I should ask for, My flight leaves at the same time as my nonstop flight it’s just the fact that I have a layover and it’s longer.
    You probably have the right to cancel and get your money back, but I imagine you don't because you're not likely to get $100 roundtrip flights at this point.

It's very possible they cancelled these nonstop flights for exactly this reason -- with everyone getting vaccinated and traveling, they don't want to operate nonstop flights where the overall fare collected is low. Probably tons of others booked like you did for $100 or so.

Regarding compensation, if you do take the flight, you can complain after-the-fact to customer service and ask for some United miles for this inconvenience. I'm not sure how United does it. American requires you to submit a form online, but they're fairly lax regarding awarding miles for issues.

BTW, United is the worst of the "big 3" airlines (Delta, AA, United).

Oh, and regarding airline miles, be careful how you spend them. You can get awwwwwwwwwful value if you're not careful.

Also, I've removed the trolling from this thread.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

That's very similar.

Bless you for being able to tolerate those seats. I did it once (accidentally) on Air Canada Rouge, and.... never again.

Load Metric
    [QUOTE=Dan Druff;972371]

That's very similar.

Bless you for being able to tolerate those seats. I did it once (accidentally) on Air Canada Rouge, and.... never again.[/

I remember my knees touching the seat infront of me the whole spirit flight.

Load Metric

You probably have the right to cancel and get your money back, but I imagine you don't because you're not likely to get $100 roundtrip flights at this point.

It's very possible they cancelled these nonstop flights for exactly this reason -- with everyone getting vaccinated and traveling, they don't want to operate nonstop flights where the overall fare collected is low. Probably tons of others booked like you did for $100 or so.

Regarding compensation, if you do take the flight, you can complain after-the-fact to customer service and ask for some United miles for this inconvenience. I'm not sure how United does it. American requires you to submit a form online, but they're fairly lax regarding awarding miles for issues.

BTW, United is the worst of the "big 3" airlines (Delta, AA, United).

Oh, and regarding airline miles, be careful how you spend them. You can get awwwwwwwwwful value if you're not careful.

Also, I've removed the trolling from this thread.

Thanks, I’m never giving up my airfare lol especially with how exp airfare is at the moment. The prices have tripled in 2 months it’s crazy.

Load Metric

That's very similar.

Bless you for being able to tolerate those seats. I did it once (accidentally) on Air Canada Rouge, and.... never again.
    I should re-iterate just how easy it is for me to sleep, not just on a plane but in general. I'm basically about as far of an opposite of an insomniac as possible without having actual narcolepsy. Especially as a passenger on anything moving; planes, trains, or automobiles....doesn't matter. I'm usually out pretty quickly unless I'm actively trying not to sleep.

Thread Information