Thread: Move over Coke Can Greg! Melissa Schubert has a new stalker in town!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Move over Coke Can Greg! Melissa Schubert has a new stalker in town!

Remember the Coke Can Greg fiasco, where a weirdo on Twitter sent unsolicited (and gross) dick pics to Melissa Schubert?

While Melissa has apparently deleted her Coke Can Greg tweet, you can still see a lot of the story by clicking the Barstool link in the thread linked above.

However, as offensive and clueless as Greg was, he was just your average internet pervert who thought that sending his dick to a girl he liked on social media would somehow turn her on.

This present situation looks much worse. Melissa is accusing fellow poker player Niko Platis of stalking her, and claims she is close to filing a restraining order against him. Unlike Coke Can Greg, who appears to live in England, it seems Platis might be local to her in Vegas.

She first posted a statement, along with a video of scrolling through some of the messages she received from him.

https://twitter.com/poodawgmelissa/status/1641158615057960962

Name:  schubert.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  138.3 KB

Unfortunately, you can't see any of this unless you follow Melissa, because she has apparently protected her tweets.

I follow her, so I can take some screen shots and post them here later.

Anyway, Niko responded and made some bizarre claims back. I'll post some in the next message.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If you can access Melissa's Twitter, you can see a super long (and crazy) scroll of messages he sent on Twitter to Melissa within a period of months. Melissa didn't respond to any of them, but he kept on messaging her!

https://twitter.com/poodawgmelissa/status/1641239879911882753

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Most of his messages to her weren't sexual in nature. They were rants about various topics, combined with repeated proclamations regarding how he and Melissa would be perfect together.

But occasionally he did get sexual:

https://twitter.com/RobKuhn_/status/1641259023658803200

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    If you can access Melissa's Twitter, you can see a super long (and crazy) scroll of messages he sent on Twitter to Melissa within a period of months. Melissa didn't respond to any of them, but he kept on messaging her!

https://twitter.com/poodawgmelissa/status/1641239879911882753

My wife had a stalker when we were dating. It can be very dangerous as everything my wife did and Melissa is doing is wrong.

I gave my wife this highly regarded book:
    https://www.amazon.com/Gift-Fear-Sur...ps%2C91&sr=8-1

I recommend someone tell this girl to read it.

Everyone wants to help but they aren’t.

The book is the bible on how to handle it,

The restraining order is fire to the flame as is engaging this guy with reason.

This is the most important book I have ever read - I wish I could give it 10 stars. I am 32 years old and have had three stalking experiences. Two were mild...one was severe. I foolishly thought that, because I had survived those incidences, I was an expert in having it NOT happen again. As I read Gavin's book, I saw more and more that, not only was I clueless about how to protect myself, I was STILL making the same mistakes that landed me with stalkers to begin with.
    I was brought up in a world where you respect others and are always kind and courteous. There *are* benefits to being kind and courteous. But I was doing it in the wrong situations. I would be approached by a man that had I had no interest in. Instead of telling him firmly and forcefully that I was NOT interested, I would smile and let them know that was really flattered and, well, who knows what the future would bring. In other words, I always tried to let them down easy. And so they would come back again and again. This was a pattern that happened over and over in my life.
    My most serious stalking incident happened over ten years ago. Yet this person STILL contacts me. However, in the early years I handled it all wrong. My boyfriend at the time contacted him telling him to leave me alone. First I would hang up on him when he called. Next I had my number changed. Gavin's book showed me that everything I did to handle the situation could have potentially made the situation worse (it did!). I was threatened, harassed, made to constantly look over my shoulder. I can see now that I should have simply ignored the problem - not had anyone contact my stalker, not changed my number but instead have kept the number and just gotten an additional line. For the past 7 years, I have stopped reading the emails that this sick man sends me (I simply save them to a folder...unread). I never acknowledge his existence. That was the *only* right thing I have done in this situation.
    Now that I have read this book, I feel better prepared to handle situations like have happened in the past. I will be firm in my `no's!' and unwavering in my speech. This book has helped me learn the tricks of the trade. I am *not* a professional counselor. I am just a person who has had a rough time in the past with people wanting to take advantage of a female's kindness. Thanks to this book, I am far better prepared to handle situations in the future.
    I think everyone should read this book. And everyone should give a copy to their loved ones. The Gift of Fear is a gift of empowerment!
    Last edited by Sidewinder; 03-30-2023 at 02:09 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    When I was dating Miri, she had a weird stalker who just wouldn't go away.

She had gone out on one date with the guy in 2001. Nothing happened between them. Date wasn't horrible, but she wasn't into him, and didn't see him again. He didn't seem weird on the date, just was quiet and had no personality.

Anyway, I started going out with her in mid-2001, a few months after she had that one date with him. Sometime around 2002, he started randomly calling her every so often. He wouldn't introduce himself, either. She'd answer the phone, and he'd say something like "What's up", and then start talking as if they were best friends. The first few times, before she got familiar with his voice, she had to stop him and ask who he was. These calls occurred every few months.

At first, she politely engaged with him and made an excuse to get off the phone after a few minutes.

However, then the calls started getting creepier. He would call as late as 2am sometimes, and again, just start talking as if everything was normal. Because of the long time between calls, sometimes as long as 6 months, she didn't bother getting a restraining order or calling the police. By the point she told him firmly never to call her again, and he would just hang up on her. Then of course he'd call again months later, and pretend everything was fine. She'd yell at him again to stop calling or she'd call the police, and he'd just hang up, but again call back months later.

This repeated throughout the next few years. I kept urging her to let me get involved, but she was afraid it would escalate, and figured she'd just put up with it, because he'd only do this once every few months.

Around 2005, I was with her in bed, and the dude called at like 3am and woke us both up. She finally told me to answer the phone, and say I was her husband, hoping he'd go away. He hung up on me when I answered, but I did get a chance to get out that I was her husband and he was to stop calling.

Well, he didn't give a shit. A few months later, he called, again at like 2:30am. I answered and said, "You just made a huge mistake, I told you to stop calling, she told you to stop calling, and now I'm going to make it happen."

He hung up on me. I called him right back. He answered, I started telling him again to quit calling, and he hung up on me again. I repeatedly called him over and over, until he finally stopped answering and let it go to voicemail. Then I filled up his voicemail, initially saying that he needed to leave Miri alone like she's been asking, and then just filling it up with quick junk messages so it would be completely full.

He called the voicemail and cleared it about 20 minutes later (remember, this was all in the middle of the night), and I called back over and over and filled it again.

Finally he answered the phone, and I said, "You're not going to be getting much sleep... tonight, or ever. And if you change your phone number, I'll get the new one. I am going to call you every single night for the rest of your life until you promise to stop stalking my wife."

He hung up on me again. I called several more times. Finally, he answered and said, "I'm calling the police."

I responded, "Great! Do it! I can't wait to tell them why I'm making these calls, and Miri will have a lot to say to them, as well. That's why I know I can call you as much as I want. You can't go to the police, because you know you're the one doing the stalking."

He hung up on me.

I called back once more. He answered again. I said, "I'm going to give you one more chance. I'm going to stop calling now. If you ever call Miri again, I will be calling you for the rest of your life, every single night. Do you need me to put her on once more, to confirm once again that she never wants you to call her, and that you've been harassing her for years?"

"No, you don't have to do that," he responded.

"Good," I replied. "I'll expect that you won't be calling again. Goodbye."

Miri was nervous that perhaps I made the situation worse, but I told her that I had a good feeling. "He sounded like a broken man after my hours of phone calls and the repeated filling of his voicemail. I have a feeling that you won't be hearing from him again."

I was correct. He never called her again.

Comments

Starbucks Spunk Bucket: Lol, messed with the wrong guy

Load Metric
    Nice way to handle the situation involving Miri!

These sort of guys tend to shrink like violets when another guy gets involved. I had a friend in High School who had a similar experience with some adult (early adult) guy who kept coming to her workplace and things like that. Her boyfriend was a total pussy and wouldn't deal with it; strangely enough, those two are married now.

I didn't mince words; the guy did talk to me. Back then, you could just hide your number with *67 or something and it wasn't traceable.

"Is this Dave?"

"Yeah, who is this?"

"None of your fucking business. If you ever go into Sears when she is working again, it will be one of the last things you ever do. This IS a threat. There will be no police. There will be no restraining order. You WILL die. Goodbye."

Of course, she never heard from that Dave again. LOL

Anyway, I don't understand this Schubert taking this matter to social media. I truly don't.

Personally, I think the top two options would be to get some male friend to pull this guy aside and have ONE friendly little chat with him, wherein he is warned that the next chat will not be so friendly if he makes another chat necessary; the second option I think is to just go to the cops, present the evidence, try to get the TPO/RSO.

I really don't see any need to warn the guy in advance; just do it. If you are going to give the guy a warning, then I don't see the need to do it on the internet rather than just have someone convey the warning to him either in-person or through some sort of private message---assuming that hasn't happened yet.

I do think she is legitimately concerned about this guy, but I guess one might as well get the side benefit of social media attention; that's how it looks to me. This guy does seem pretty cuckoo clocks just from the way he writes, so she should probably get the RSO anyway.

Comments

SchoenfeldsJawMuscles: murder > phone call threats rep

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Mission146 View Post
    Anyway, I don't understand this Schubert taking this matter to social media. I truly don't.
    its not hard to figure out.
    conditioned to think that getting attention is the way to solve a problem - instead of just taking care of it.
    look at all of the attention that followed... "problem solved"

Comments

Mission146:

Load Metric

Around 2005, I was with her in bed, and the dude called at like 3am and woke us both up. She finally told me to answer the phone, and say I was her husband, hoping he'd go away. He hung up on me when I answered, but I did get a chance to get out that I was her husband and he was to stop calling.

Well, he didn't give a shit. A few months later, he called, again at like 2:30am. I answered and said, "You just made a huge mistake, I told you to stop calling, she told you to stop calling, and now I'm going to make it happen."

He hung up on me. I called him right back. He answered, I started telling him again to quit calling, and he hung up on me again. I repeatedly called him over and over, until he finally stopped answering and let it go to voicemail. Then I filled up his voicemail, initially saying that he needed to leave Miri alone like she's been asking, and then just filling it up with quick junk messages so it would be completely full.

He called the voicemail and cleared it about 20 minutes later (remember, this was all in the middle of the night), and I called back over and over and filled it again.

Finally he answered the phone, and I said, "You're not going to be getting much sleep... tonight, or ever. And if you change your phone number, I'll get the new one. I am going to call you every single night for the rest of your life until you promise to stop stalking my wife."

He hung up on me again. I called several more times. Finally, he answered and said, "I'm calling the police."

I responded, "Great! Do it! I can't wait to tell them why I'm making these calls, and Miri will have a lot to say to them, as well. That's why I know I can call you as much as I want. You can't go to the police, because you know you're the one doing the stalking."

He hung up on me.

I called back once more. He answered again. I said, "I'm going to give you one more chance. I'm going to stop calling now. If you ever call Miri again, I will be calling you for the rest of your life, every single night. Do you need me to put her on once more, to confirm once again that she never wants you to call her, and that you've been harassing her for years?"

Miri was nervous that perhaps I made the situation worse, but I told her that I had a good feeling. "He sounded like a broken man after my hours of phone calls and the repeated filling of his voicemail. I have a feeling that you won't be hearing from him again."

Lot of insight into Druff's mind here.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Silver
    Load Metric
    If the guy was violent you probably get her killed with this approach.

Escalating threats don’t always work and when they don’t it’s not pretty.

I am not saying don’t escalate but the stalker handbook I referenced earlier explains why this isn’t always the best move. It’s great when it works, deadly when it doesn’t…

Engaging him on social media, talking sense into him, etc is hands down the guaranteed way to make sure he ramps up the behaviour.

Threatening him or turbo ignoring him, I’d probably choose the latter every time.

When I was dating Miri, she had a weird stalker who just wouldn't go away.

She had gone out on one date with the guy in 2001. Nothing happened between them. Date wasn't horrible, but she wasn't into him, and didn't see him again. He didn't seem weird on the date, just was quiet and had no personality.

Anyway, I started going out with her in mid-2001, a few months after she had that one date with him. Sometime around 2002, he started randomly calling her every so often. He wouldn't introduce himself, either. She'd answer the phone, and he'd say something like "What's up", and then start talking as if they were best friends. The first few times, before she got familiar with his voice, she had to stop him and ask who he was. These calls occurred every few months.

At first, she politely engaged with him and made an excuse to get off the phone after a few minutes.

However, then the calls started getting creepier. He would call as late as 2am sometimes, and again, just start talking as if everything was normal. Because of the long time between calls, sometimes as long as 6 months, she didn't bother getting a restraining order or calling the police. By the point she told him firmly never to call her again, and he would just hang up on her. Then of course he'd call again months later, and pretend everything was fine. She'd yell at him again to stop calling or she'd call the police, and he'd just hang up, but again call back months later.

This repeated throughout the next few years. I kept urging her to let me get involved, but she was afraid it would escalate, and figured she'd just put up with it, because he'd only do this once every few months.

He hung up on me.

Comments

Kuntmissioner: Todd is god

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    If the guy was violent you probably get her killed with this approach.

Escalating threats don’t always work and when they don’t it’s not pretty.

I am not saying don’t escalate but the stalker handbook I referenced earlier explains why this isn’t always the best move. It’s great when it works, deadly when it doesn’t…

Engaging him on social media, talking sense into him, etc is hands down the guaranteed way to make sure he ramps up the behaviour.

Threatening him or turbo ignoring him, I’d probably choose the latter every time.
    Had to make a decision.

At the time, Miri had a landline, and was in the same apartment she had been in for a decade. She had a cell phone, but a ton of people she knew over the years, including extended family, called her on the home number. Changing it would have been a severe pain in the ass. I had already suggested it to her, and she refused.

I was afraid the cops wouldn't take it seriously because the LAPD was already swamped enough with more serious crime, and the calls were coming in only about once every few months. A restraining order would probably fail for the same reason.

I understood there was a risk things could get worse, which is why I let Miri handle it without my involvement for awhile. However, after this had gone on for 3 years without lessening, it was clear this dude's obsession would never die. I felt that if we didn't do something about this, there was also a risk that the dude would just show up one day, as stalkers will often escalate if they don't get what they want. Sometimes shaking the whole thing up is exactly what you need. I agree that you're best off ignoring them for awhile and hoping they go away, but after 3 years it was clear the dude wasn't going to quit.

My read on the situation ended up being correct. My guess was that he wasn't violent because he seemed to be afraid to talk to me. Most violent stalkers want to puff their chests out when challenged. This guy seemed like a beta who got kicks out of calling women and creeping them out. Anyway, my methods worked, and the dude never called again. Miri had that phone number for 7 more years before disconnecting it, and never got another call from him. I knew that was likely to be the outcome when he threatened to "call the police", and I confidently encouraged him to do so. He knew there was nowhere to go with this unless he wanted to be harassed back every night, so he took the out and gave up.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    In Druff's story, I like to think he ends up being both the boyfriend and the stalker.

Thread Information