Thread: Hertz wrongly accused people of not returning rental cars, getting them arrested

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Hertz wrongly accused people of not returning rental cars, getting them arrested

For some reason there is an epidemic of this with Hertz, and they've already settled 364 lawsuits about this (!!), averaging about $500k each!

Very interesting video above.

I always despised the "leave the keys in the car" form of rental car return, because I feel like there's no proof I've brought it back, and I also feel like there's no way to prove I left it undamaged and with proper gas.

In fact, I had my first negative experience with that in August, as a Hertz car I returned in one of those "lines" at the airport with no representative charged me $25 for gasoline, even though I had filled it back to the proper level (which wasn't full, because I didn't get it back as full). I was able to talk my way out of the charge by calling the national number, but it was a big pain in the ass, and initially they refused.

This whole thing is a little bit surprising, because prior to all of this shit, Hertz was known as one of the reputable car rental companies in the US. I've always told people to go with Hertz, AVIS, National, Enterprise, or Alamo, and to avoid the budget rental car companies.

It is outrageous that you can be arrested for something like this. At the very least, law enforcement should first make contact with you (upon Hertz filing the complaint) to get your side of it. They also need to do some investigation. A car simply being "missing" doesn't mean that the renter stole it.

One way you can be certain things are okay is to check your e-mail or credit card after returning the car. If they charge you upon return (as is standard), then you can show they received it back, especially if you have an e-mail receipt stating so. Never delete those e-mails, as they can claim years later that they never got the car back.

Load Metric
    Good share Druff, thank you.

Load Metric
    Averaging $500k? I feel like I should be making some deal with a rental car employee making $30k to misplace a car and have me arrested and split the loot. Go for the double and have a cop buddy beat my ass a little so I can crank up both lawsuits. I have a few cop buddies who are nearing retirement anyway.

Comments

country978: lol bcr! i love this idea and want in!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Averaging $500k? I feel like I should be making some deal with a rental car employee making $30k to misplace a car and have me arrested and split the loot. Go for the double and have a cop buddy beat my ass a little so I can crank up both lawsuits. I have a few cop buddies who are nearing retirement anyway.

Split 60/40 60 you 40 me i'll submit my resume asap haha.

Getting arrested for GTA and having to hang out in the holding tank in a high crime county is pretty traumatic, from what i hear.
    Everyone says it's worse than prison, MUCH WORSE.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

For some reason there is an epidemic of this with Hertz, and they've already settled 364 lawsuits about this (!!), averaging about $500k each!

Very interesting video above.

I always despised the "leave the keys in the car" form of rental car return, because I feel like there's no proof I've brought it back, and I also feel like there's no way to prove I left it undamaged and with proper gas.

In fact, I had my first negative experience with that in August, as a Hertz car I returned in one of those "lines" at the airport with no representative charged me $25 for gasoline, even though I had filled it back to the proper level (which wasn't full, because I didn't get it back as full). I was able to talk my way out of the charge by calling the national number, but it was a big pain in the ass, and initially they refused.

This whole thing is a little bit surprising, because prior to all of this shit, Hertz was known as one of the reputable car rental companies in the US. I've always told people to go with Hertz, AVIS, National, Enterprise, or Alamo, and to avoid the budget rental car companies.

It is outrageous that you can be arrested for something like this. At the very least, law enforcement should first make contact with you (upon Hertz filing the complaint) to get your side of it. They also need to do some investigation. A car simply being "missing" doesn't mean that the renter stole it.

One way you can be certain things are okay is to check your e-mail or credit card after returning the car. If they charge you upon return (as is standard), then you can show they received it back, especially if you have an e-mail receipt stating so. Never delete those e-mails, as they can claim years later that they never got the car back.

A class action lawsuit should put an end to this. Some attorneys are going to get rich.
    En boca cerrada, no entran moscas

Load Metric
    Used to drive Cars from Manheim Auto Auction in Orlando Florida which is massive hugggge operation and they sell Rental Cars but nice cars like a 2019 Toyota Camry but for a great price because the mileage may be 70k or something. And the reason its such a good deal is for insurance liability reasons the Rental Car companies no matter what have a policy where as soon as a Car reaches X amount of miles, so say a Camry 60k miles they have to sell them. And they use in Orlando where all the theme parks are so probably one of America's biggest rental car Regions because of that its a big business. Manheim is massive

We drove cars to Tampa from Orlando and home again so roundtrip ever day, and what it was we were bringing Manheims Fleets and cars to the Port of Tampa where they literally get loaded onto Cargo tankers and get shipped wherever probably Germany some for sure. And they do it by boat from the Port of Tampa, and Orlando takes many cars there so its a big operation to get previously rented cars to elsewhere in this big world. Little secret if ever in Orlando and you want a fantastic and relatively cheap but just previously was a Rental car you should look into here its a great option for cheap.

https://twitter.com/RAPMAGBOOBA/status/438516261912608768

This is the place here and they sell mostly previously used rental cars, for Disney World, Universal Studios, Sea World so Theme Parks tourism and all that in Orlando.

https://site.manheim.com/en/location...m-orlando.html

Enterprise Rental Car seemed to be the best overall to me there with Hertz being the Company seemed to be the worst or most likely to be struggling

Load Metric
    Always had the car checked out/in upon airport departure in Denver, so never had worries about that.

Still always sweat a bit that some disgruntled minimum wage employee like naturalbornhustler (RIP) could easily just fuck something up during cleaning, moving it around that I then get dinged for.

I got sent a bill last year for more than a year's worth of accrued tolls from four different cars; they usually just hit your card a month or so later once determined but these faggots sent me some internal 'past due' thing and tried to charge me a penalty. Cost them a Gold member when I couldn't get it resolved promptly.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    FUCK HERTZ and I mean that in the worst way possible. Ive done rentals 2x through them to drive for Uber. Once their billing system was shitting the bed and charges kept dropping off only for the bastards to get a $1 Auth and then shove through a nearly $2k charge as an updated amount. The second time really burnt my britches and why I quit driving. I rent a Tesla 1 because gas prices were crappy and charging even at a super charge later in the evening and such was much less then a tank of gas. Anyway some dipshit either locally or their system dropped my rental out and it dropped off 2 days prior to the week being up and I couldnt drive at all on the platform costing me a few hundred dollars. They are morons.

Side note I'm finally beginning the process to maybe get the surgeries in need on my back to be able to return to a real job MRI is tomorrow and then go from there. Did find out that mid back pain is legitimately a decent problem. Literally bone on bone with disc space collapsed at T12/L1 in the Xray so surgery is likely needed there the other MRI will show if the level below my fusion from 2012 is screwed up as I suspect.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    FUCK HERTZ and I mean that in the worst way possible. Ive done rentals 2x through them to drive for Uber. Once their billing system was shitting the bed and charges kept dropping off only for the bastards to get a $1 Auth and then shove through a nearly $2k charge as an updated amount. The second time really burnt my britches and why I quit driving. I rent a Tesla 1 because gas prices were crappy and charging even at a super charge later in the evening and such was much less then a tank of gas. Anyway some dipshit either locally or their system dropped my rental out and it dropped off 2 days prior to the week being up and I couldnt drive at all on the platform costing me a few hundred dollars. They are morons.

Side note I'm finally beginning the process to maybe get the surgeries in need on my back to be able to return to a real job MRI is tomorrow and then go from there. Did find out that mid back pain is legitimately a decent problem. Literally bone on bone with disc space collapsed at T12/L1 in the Xray so surgery is likely needed there the other MRI will show if the level below my fusion from 2012 is screwed up as I suspect.
    Good luck with your back, you should look into that Toyota kinto share program for Uber drivers. Not sure if they updated it but it was super cheap to rent a car.

Load Metric
    Oj Simpson was a big proponent of Hertz running thru airports.

Load Metric
    This story doesn’t compute.

Every fleet vehicle in the world has a gps tracker.

With the subprime auto situation you’d think pretty much every lease and financed car would have a gps soon.

Story inspires me to take a few selfies with the return next time tho

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Proof it

Name:  l7ruqo7aw5891.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  51.6 KB

Load Metric
    For what it’s worth, I always use Enterprise or Budget, no real issues to report.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post

Why would you use a rental to drive for Uber? For me, the only way it makes sense is to be using my own car. Aren't you losing most of your income paying the rental fee? I've been driving for Uber/Lyft almost 2 years now with my own ride. Ya, it beats up the car but its forced me to figure out how to do my own repairs. Youtube is one of the best creations ever. I recently changed out my entire front suspension and did a 4 wheel brake job. No chance I'd drive a rental for rideshare.

Thread Information