Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uber, Lyft and Taxi stories.

Load Metric

Uber, Lyft and Taxi stories.

Please post and share here. Please no joke, troll or junk posts. Thanks.
    Last edited by desertrunner; 04-08-2021 at 07:34 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Please post and share here. Please no joke, troll or junk posts. Thanks.
    Me and this clown get into an Uber right? Like a legit painted clown. Not just a weird guy. Anyways there is a midget in there too, dressed like a walrus. What the fuck right? So what do I do? We fucked. The midget or clown you wanna ask me? Yes, the answer is yes.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    I use them to get to and from the airport.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    So and before you think about it, save the troll please, because who I worked for and where is a very good well run Regulated Industry. And done right, which it is by man huslers, its can be a $200+ a day at times husle, and in Orlando where I did it its all Tourist's and Disney people mostly. You dont go to the Hood, you work the business orient business, or like what I did mostly the Airport's. Which is 90%+ of the time to Disney World here, and thats not all that close so still a $80-$100 run there each time, it adds up. So maybe because where im at, and all it wasn't a terrible experience when I didn it. I actually liked it, and its no boss watching over me, freedom at times and ability to go make $200+ Cash if i was wanting it that day, and at certain times it is steadily busy here. So the moneys out there too, if you want to go get it. But since LAst January and all, I havent been able to and so havent now in years, but I know it intimately.

The game is changing 100% big time, now Uber/Lyft are it. And they are everywhere, like scattered ants and can be sent to every phone's GPS location, just sophisticated now. And the actually Family owned, proud, and for decades had the Disney Contract, who I worked for. Mears Transportation as big as it gets was Family owned, that was their thing backboned by that Walt Disney World Contract here, but event he Mears kid whos around my age his sister (Next Generation) aorked in it, like hands in it. And they sold out too, a Palm Beach Equity Company bought the Mears Family who's granded started it in the 1940s and has been family owned since, they have now even sold out. They see the writing on the world too and took the MASSIVE deal and dont own Mears Transpoeration now, some Palm Beach Equity Company owns it now, its all a big sophisticated money husle now actually..

The LoL Taxi game, unfn real...

Load Metric
    Certainly you have some decent stories Garrett? Maybe try those instead of incoherent ramblings?
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    PAGING SIXTOEDPETE

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    Certainly you have some decent stories Garrett? Maybe try those instead of incoherent ramblings?
    The money, or for what I cared about maybe haha, was in the mileage.. So sitting at the Airport, like playing dice maybe haha idk so you are positioning yourself for the actually although not always likely LONG run.. I got Tamp Bay from there before, actually St Petersburg which is out on the beach past downtown TB and a good one. But that is also, the actual randomness but with possibly some long runs sprinkled in there, benefit to working the Airport. Which is why I did it too, then if/when you do say get a St Petersburg from Orlando, round-trip its still only about 6 hours.

Not even that bad you Lease (work) for 12 hours anyway so actually is a nice thing made money and day went by quick =)
    Last edited by garrett; 04-09-2021 at 05:32 AM.

Gold
    Load Metric
    I was an Uber driver in LA for a few months way back in the day when it payed way more than it does now (They have effectively cut rates by over 50% from when I did it). I never drove late night or did bar pickup so not too many crazy stories. Craziest thing was I picked up some random guy in downtown LA about 8 pm one night, and he just asked me to drive around while he did some sort of drugs (cocaine?) in the back of my car. I guess he was worried about cops catching him on the streets doing it. Then when he was done, I dropped him off and he went about his night.

I dont think I would do it again, but it was actually an enjoyable experience getting paid to drive around Los Angeles. Saw a lot of interesting parts of the city I never would have otherwise.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post
    I was an Uber driver in LA for a few months way back in the day when it payed way more than it does now (They have effectively cut rates by over 50% from when I did it). I never drove late night or did bar pickup so not too many crazy stories. Craziest thing was I picked up some random guy in downtown LA about 8 pm one night, and he just asked me to drive around while he did some sort of drugs (cocaine?) in the back of my car. I guess he was worried about cops catching him on the streets doing it. Then when he was done, I dropped him off and he went about his night.

I dont think I would do it again, but it was actually an enjoyable experience getting paid to drive around Los Angeles. Saw a lot of interesting parts of the city I never would have otherwise.
    here in Orlando where I did it was via the biggest Transportation Company here. You use their name, vehicles insurance once they allow you to work for them, so all you have to do is your job, its interesting and not the worst way to make some money in life even if only in periods of time. You use their name and vehicles, they have everything ven the liability except for maybe something intentional stuff. But its not a bad gig for what it is. And here we really do have a constant inflow out flor of people with Disney/Universal/SeaWorld all that here and more stuff. So people do come here and it is not the worst place. well back then to do it. Now I have no clue, and the rona and all that, people not traveling id imagine its now wayyy different then even just 3 years ago, so idk..

Load Metric
    Multiple reports coming out of Las Vegas as it’s getting harder to order a Uber or Lyft ride anywhere on the strip, city or county wide. The reason is the drivers are staying home and collecting unemployment instead.

Load Metric
    Multiple reports coming out of Las Vegas as it’s getting harder to order a Uber or Lyft ride anywhere on the strip, city or county wide. The reason is the drivers are staying home and collecting unemployment instead.
    Las Vegas like Orlando here are very Regulated Transportation business's (Big Money involved)

There is a lot of money involved in it, to be made by the State people etc, and so it is just on a bigger different scale in these Tourism heavy areas maybe . 'Old School' Taxis that your mom and dad knew them are a thing of the past, and even tho here I did work for the big and only in Mears, so it was ok in Orlando. Uber/Lyft have actually put a dent in the old school Taxi business period, changed forever too. Uber/Lyft are just so smart and sophisticated, using everyone's Phones as their GPS and locator that. The entire business Model now, is so streamlined and sophisticated and smart. Using Technology, and Phone GPS to locate every customer. So long gone are the days of calling an phone number for a Taxi and talking to a person.

The World is just so much more smart and sophisticated then that now, and the Taxi game is actually no different. To the extent where I work Family Owned since the 1940's Mears Transportation (Mears Family) are a juggernaut in the Transportation game, and they too even this year sold out. To a Palm Beach Equity Company or something, bringing it to the next Level and sophisticated big money business game stuff haha.....

But the game is actually changing now, Taxis vs the old school 'Taxi' and that is undeniable at this point, Forever changed too.

Gold
    Load Metric
    I have been following this in So Cal on a local Uber driver message board. I am guessing Las Vegas has similar dynamics, but I am not sure.

In So Cal there is a current driver shortage. Part of the issue is the collecting unemployment instead of driving like you said. Another part of the issue is that during the pandemic when there was almost no drivers, to entice them to get on the road Uber let the drivers set their own fares, and in the last couple weeks they have pulled that program and are making them drive "base". So drivers are suddenly making 2X LESS (or more) than they were per ride, which has motivated a lot of drivers just to say "F It" and stay home and do other things.

The drivers contend that the drivers successfully setting their own rates during the pandemic (much higher than the base rate) showed Uber the market can bare higher rates than what they were previously charging. So Uber has decided to still charge passengers the higher rates, pay the drivers low rates, and pocket the difference. I don't actually know if this is true or not, but I wouldn't put it past Uber.

At this point Uber basically accepts that they can't pay drivers livable wages without hemorrhaging money themselves. The economics of rideshare dont work. They never really have. So their current business model is to pay well below minimum wage (after expenses) and hope drivers are desperate or dumb enough to do it anyways. And obviously the pandemic and the fact it is so easy to collect unemployment right now is interfering with that. Especially now that demand has jumped and Uber has taken away the ability of drivers to set their own rates.

Load Metric
    I don’t think this will add much to the story, but I’m actually seeing more real taxi’s in my local area. Not a huge operational swing, rather a few more in a daily basis. Wondering if it’s the same in Las Vegas.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post
    I have been following this in So Cal on a local Uber driver message board. I am guessing Las Vegas has similar dynamics, but I am not sure.

In So Cal there is a current driver shortage. Part of the issue is the collecting unemployment instead of driving like you said. Another part of the issue is that during the pandemic when there was almost no drivers, to entice them to get on the road Uber let the drivers set their own fares, and in the last couple weeks they have pulled that program and are making them drive "base". So drivers are suddenly making 2X LESS (or more) than they were per ride, which has motivated a lot of drivers just to say "F It" and stay home and do other things.

The drivers contend that the drivers successfully setting their own rates during the pandemic (much higher than the base rate) showed Uber the market can bare higher rates than what they were previously charging. So Uber has decided to still charge passengers the higher rates, pay the drivers low rates, and pocket the difference. I don't actually know if this is true or not, but I wouldn't put it past Uber.

At this point Uber basically accepts that they can't pay drivers livable wages without hemorrhaging money themselves. The economics of rideshare dont work. They never really have. So their current business model is to pay well below minimum wage (after expenses) and hope drivers are desperate or dumb enough to do it anyways. And obviously the pandemic and the fact it is so easy to collect unemployment right now is interfering with that. Especially now that demand has jumped and Uber has taken away the ability of drivers to set their own rates.

Sooo incredibly wrong here wrong wrong wrong....

The Economies of Ridesharing are actually genius and work soo incredibly well. They are actually all Reward, very Little Risk. If Risk/Reward Calculus actually Mattered then Rideshares by design are so incredibly efficient, and smart. A real game changer, obviously. Rideshares are actually changing the whole Taxi game as we ever know it. And now its just super sophisticated, smart, seamless. Your phone is your GPS and locator, gone are the need for humans, and Brick and Mortar stuff maybe (Overhead).. This business Model while incredibly smart, is also lean and mean as f, its real. And the old school Taxi businesses see the writing on the wall for sure now, its inevitable. The old school Yellow Taxi is a thing of the past now, or it's coming for sure....

The Economies of Ride Share absolutely work incredibly, because they are actually all REWARD, minimal if no risk. Liability insurance, they dont have it each individual driver, running their own small business driving, in a sense is liable. Rideshares have it down to a perfection actually, and as it grows it is the new way to get around or take a 'Taxi' obviously.

Comments

desertrunner:

Load Metric
    I ordered lunch from Uber eats the other day. I ate it. It tasted good.

Load Metric

Uber, Lyft and Taxi stories.

Garrett nailed it above. I have some additional opinions I light add later.

Question- Did anyone buy Uber or Lyft stock a couple of years ago?
    Last edited by desertrunner; 04-22-2021 at 07:24 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Uber is one of the great missteps allowed in a free enterprise system. It's a long story based on money influencing governmental decisions in favour of the company. Uber is in Canada in places and I admit I do not know what measures they had to meet to do so.

In B.C. they are actively trying to avoid the drivers as employees model. I doubt they will be successful in that effort

Comments

desertrunner: Wrong.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Uber is one of the great missteps allowed in a free enterprise system. It's a long story based on money influencing governmental decisions in favour of the company. Uber is in Canada in places and I admit I do not know what measures they had to meet to do so.

In B.C. they are actively trying to avoid the drivers as employees model. I doubt they will be successful in that effort

i disagree. Uber and Lyft made taxi cab companies who previously held monopolies step up their game. In Florida, many taxis were at least a dozen years old or more and in poor condition. Often, there would not be air conditioning in the taxis and in Florida that is not a good thing. Uber and Lyft also are cheaper than taxis and you know exactly who is driving. Most of the taxi drivers at MIA speak Creole and do Not speak Spanish or English.

Comments

garrett: lol he's Canadian just wouldn't get it. Them Hatians are crazy down around Miami too, and ganged up big time with that ZOE pound. They are a big deal down around Miami....
    Last edited by Cerveza Fria; 04-22-2021 at 09:23 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

i disagree. Uber and Lyft made taxi cab companies who previously help monopolies step up their game. In Florida, many taxis were at least a dozen years old or more and in poor condition. Often, there would not be air conditioning in the taxis and in Florida that is not a good thing. Uber and Lyft also are cheaper than taxis and you know exactly who is driving. Most of the taxi drivers at MIA speak Creole and do Not speak Spanish or English.
    That’s what you get with de-regulation. In Canada, there are certain laws/regulations which cab companies must meet. This applies to all. Yes there are two or three major companies in most cities. It’s not the competition I’m speaking of it’s the way Uber bypassed even the low regulations you already have.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I drove regular taxi in Honolulu years ago. My first night out I picked up a good looking call girl on her way to a "date" at a hotel. When I told her I was new and she was my first customer she laughed and said "pull over here." She pulled a tube out of her purse and proceeded to lay out a couple of lines of coke.
    After doing the coke I took her on to the hotel.
    Another time I picked up a stripper from one of the local clubs. She said, "I don't have much money but if you come inside I'll give you free lap dances.
    Done!
    Another time I pulled up to some strung out chick on Kalakaua Ave in Waikiki and she handed me this big plastic bag full of pills. I drove off but then thought, "What the fuck am I doing!" I drove around the block, called her over and said, "I don't want this, and threw it out the window.
    I never made much money but met some interesting people!

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: hola hawaii rep

Thread Information