Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** Vitamins and supplements thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

*** OFFICIAL *** Vitamins and supplements thread

This would normally be created by 408Mike, but since he's been absent for many years, I'm picking up the slack.

Which vitamins and supplements do you take? Which were specifically directed by an MD, and which did you do on your own? And which ones do you see evidence of helping you?

I'll start.

I take 4000 IU of Vitamin D3 every day. This was directed by my doctor because I had a low Vitamin D level, which is now in the normal range thanks to the pills.

I recently bought some Vitamin K2 (this is NOT potassium, btw) and will start taking it shortly. It is often taken by people who take D3.

I take prescription potassium pills because my potassium is low. However, the low potassium problem was artificially induced. My blood pressure medication lowers potassium as a side effect, so I need to take potassium pills to counteract that.

I take caffeine pills every day (200mg once or twice) for mental health reasons. I started doing this in late 2018 when I noticed caffeine was helping reduce anxiety and depression, and I figured out that caffeine is beneficial for the 40% of the population who has the genetics to metabolize it quickly (I do). To know if you have that gene, if you can consume caffeine and easily fall asleep, you have it. Otherwise, you don't, and you should watch out regarding your caffeine intake.

I am considering starting a turmeric supplement and seeing if I notice any difference.

I just started taking Vitamin C again after stopping for awhile because I ran out. I should have been taking it every day because it's said to help you fight COVID if you catch it. I've also noticed that taking Vitamin C has reduced the length of colds I've had. The problem with taking it regularly is that it seems to cause constipation sometimes, so I'm trying to figure out what level I can take where that doesn't happen.

Supplements tend to be half snake oil and half legitimately helpful, and it's hard to know which is which sometimes.

What stuff do you guys take, and why? I'm not asking about medication, as that is more specific to your individual health needs.

No trolling or junk posting in this thread, please.

Load Metric

Druff- Good topic!

I’m not a big vitamin or supplements person, but I decided that a daily routine of one multivitamin (gummy) would be ideal and sufficient for overall health. I do like the gummy platform as it’s easy, tasty, not too expensive and seems to cover all of the bases. I cant verify any real health advantages or protections against colds or COVID19, but I think it’s a good platform and regimen. I’m also not dedicated to one specific vitamin manufacturer or brand.

My current daily, I take one gummy in the AM...

Load Metric
    I take exactly the same amount of vitamin D3 as you do, for the same reason, recommended by doctor during normal times.

I’ve actually taken a mega dose 5000iu capsule throughout the pandemic as it’s easier to take one, and while too much is not good, 5k iu isn’t dangerous and many reports have came out on the benefits of Vitamin D3 with Covid. My fathers is low also, so clearly hereditary.

I have heard tremendous things about tumeric, and dropped like $200 on a high quality version of it assuming I’d continue to take it, and found it gave me tremendous heartburn and I didn’t like how I felt. I tried it a few times, and abandoned it. For whatever reason, it doesn’t agree with me. The version I bought was suggested by a female friend of mine who has a horrible auto-immune disorder. It’s helped her tremendously. I think it’s generally very beneficial, just not for me.

I take whey protein isolate after workouts. The amount varies upon my diet. There are times I’ll take it just after workout, other times split throughout day. This is an area where you want to pay extra and make sure you buy isolate and from a well-researched supplier.

I take vitamin C. I take glutamine if in a calorie deficit. Most should take this if they are in one. I take a fish oil supplement sporadically. This is probably unnecessary as I have excellent cholesterol and genetic heart family health. I only take it during periods where I’m not eating any salmon or fish of any sort.

On most days, it’s just D3, protein, and vitamin C.

Most of the holistic crowd buy a whole bunch of shit, buy cheap shit, or think they are healthy and talk about big pharma while they buy a bunch of products from the completely unregulated supplement market that invariably finds 75% of its products to contain heavy metals and a bunch of other garbage when sent to labs. You want to research supplements very closely. It’s a scam market on most products.

You are always best to get what you can from good eating. In cases like ours where we have genetic deficiencies, like D3, supplement.

One thing I avoid like the plague that most lifters take is creatine. I think it’s harsher on the kidneys than advertised and reported on. Get it from food.

Load Metric
    I am not a home drinker, so I’ve rarely drank over last year so I forgot this one, but if you like to get your drink on, or have any liver issues, I’ll take Liv-52 or any well-researched liver supplement also. I’m never an every day drinker, so I just take this occasionally. Heavy drinkers should take it daily. I knew a person with very bad liver values, an alcoholic, continue to drink and started taking this upon my recommendation and have normal liver values in relatively brief time on subsequent blood work. I’ve thought to myself maybe I shouldn’t have suggested it, as they now feel bulletproof and quitting would have been advisable, but it was a friend who I really didn’t see quitting. Generational alcoholic family.

Load Metric
    1,000mg of vitamin C every 2nd or third day. Vitamin D3 1,000IU maybe once every 5 or 6 days, some bio zinc every week.

My diet is pretty good and it's sunny here.

Always take the D3 with vitamin C as it absorbs better.

Load Metric
    Alive Men's Energy
    Fish Oil
    D3
    Cranberry Concentrate
    Creatine 5g

Depending on what kind of day it is I will make protein drinks to supplement the lack of food I will have.

Load Metric
    I take Athletic Greens. Has vitamins and Probiotics. I also take Elderberry dummies and Ginger shots.

Athletic Greens can be found here:https://athleticgreens.com/en?utm_so...8da05274b910f8

Load Metric
    D plus a C +Zinc combo, that's it. Don't need tumeric as I eat curry sometimes, don't need fish oil as I eat fish regularly, eat salad too so I think I'm covered.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Vitamin D (4000 IU) and iron daily.

Lots of Portlanders take the vitamin D to combat the lack of sunlight. No idea if I'm just downing it for shits or not as my level has held steady (and was never really low), but my physician and many people I know just take it.

Have low iron historically, and a once daily tablet has leveled that out.

I eat a lot of turmeric already but may begin taking that. Lots of evidence with good outcomes there, especially to mitigate prostate issues in men.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    D plus a C +Zinc combo, that's it. Don't need tumeric as I eat curry sometimes, don't need fish oil as I eat fish regularly, eat salad too so I think I'm covered.
    Walt- What specific fish are you buying? Also, how are you cooking then? (Oven baked, pan fry, grill)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    Alive Men's Energy
    Fish Oil
    D3
    Cranberry Concentrate
    Creatine 5g

Depending on what kind of day it is I will make protein drinks to supplement the lack of food I will have.

White russians?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Walt- What specific fish are you buying? Also, how are you cooking then? (Oven baked, pan fry, grill)
    Salmon, tuna, sometimes cod, pollock or orange roughy, all wild/fresh or frozen but not farmed. Cook in various ways.

Also I like sardines and anchovies, those are canned of course.

And sometimes canned tuna (but a quality one) if I am making something like tuna salad.

Avoid tilapia, it's trash.

Load Metric
    I love salmon, so many ways to enjoy it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Salmon, tuna, sometimes cod, pollock or orange roughy, all wild/fresh or frozen but not farmed. Cook in various ways.

And sometimes canned tuna (but a quality one) if I am making something like tuna salad.

I stopped eating fish. The only fish I could find that was reasonably priced was wild caught but from guess where.......China. I’m good on that.

I don’t even eat trout I catch anymore due to the majority of the ones you catch are released by the DNR and are from hatcheries.
    Last edited by tommyt; 04-02-2021 at 03:54 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post

I stopped eating fish. The only fish I could find that was reasonably priced was wild caught but from guess where.......China. I’m good on that.

I don’t even eat trout I catch anymore due to the majority of the ones you catch are released by the DHHR and are from hatcheries.
    If it's from China you don't know if it was actually wild caught, or what kind of fish it is, or if it's even fish.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Vitamins are all completely fake. I used to take a whole stack each day. Stopped. Nothing at all changed. Hoax

Load Metric

Quote Originally Posted by NickyPipes View Post
    Vitamins are all completely fake. I used to take a whole stack each day. Stopped. Nothing at all changed. Hoax
    Why I’m on the fence and just go with a once a day multivitamin. The only result I see so far is my hair and fingernails grow out faster.

As for the fish, I do love grillin salmon on my BBQ.

Load Metric
    - the basic gummy multi-vitamins
    - 500g-1g Magnesium Citrate
    - 500g-1g of Tumeric (w/Black Pepper)
    - 2.5-3g of Mitragyna Speciosa (Kratom leaf) 3-4 times/daily

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WSPreadHead View Post
    - the basic gummy multi-vitamins
    - 500g-1g Magnesium Citrate
    - 500g-1g of Tumeric (w/Black Pepper)
    - 2.5-3g of Mitragyna Speciosa (Kratom leaf) 3-4 times/daily
    What's that last one do?

Load Metric
    Can we please get a healthy fish diet thread? Sorry, I’m stuck on fish now.

Thread Information